Academic journal article about vore

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Academic journal article about vore

Postby Ka-Atis » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:56 am

Only the abstract is accessible for free, but anyways -
A vore case study (where also the term 'vore' is used) done by an Australian research group.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24057211

Could be interesting to read the whole thing, perhaps it will be available at some time point (?)
Now I eat you!}- >:-(.. ____ D: -{no.. nooo..
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Re: Academic journal article about vore

Postby mojo-2131285 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 am

Ka-Atis wrote:Only the abstract is accessible for free, but anyways -
A vore case study (where also the term 'vore' is used) done by an Australian research group.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24057211

Could be interesting to read the whole thing, perhaps it will be available at some time point (?)

This article is one of my holy grails. Good looking out. I'll try to find the full article later.
AD SIDERA!!!
mojo-2131285
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Kezmit » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:12 pm

It looks like it's only one case study though (?)
Kezmit
New to the forum

Postby FetishDragons » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Fascinating.. people try to study this fetish?
FetishDragons
Been posting for a bit

Postby again__again » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:14 pm

A lot of universities provide access to electronic journals and databases to their students for free, so if any of you belong to a university with a good library system and access to the "Springer eJournals" database you can probably access this article for free through your university.
again__again
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby mojo-2131285 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Found it! I have access to it through my university's library. It starts off with a description of voraphilia that is fairly accurate, and doesn't seem to leave anything out. It also distinguishes vore from cannibalism, which I've never seen an outside source do before.

The case study is a little creepy and the subject obviously has mental problems beyond paraphilia. He also seems to be lying to his examiners about certain things. The study is mostly interesting because of the evidence it presents for a connection between vore and other forms of domination.

I'm not sure if it's legal to post it or not here or not, since it's from a journal that requires a subscription. Can I get a ruling from the mods?
AD SIDERA!!!
mojo-2131285
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby again__again » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Well, having read the article I will say that it was an interesting read, providing a more professional view on things, although it presents very little we don't already know.

The article starts by summarizing the fetish in broad terms, looking at common themes and tendencies within roleplay and community-made art and stories. It looks into vorarephilia's links to other paraphilia such as BDSM and macrophilia. And then it goes into an exhaustive case study of one man's assessment by a sexual behavior clinic, and a look into his sexual masochism, coprophilia, and vorarephilia, their associated fantasies / acts, and their possible relations. The discussion section then goes on to look at masochism and submission and how they contain similar themes of wanting to merge with or become part of a more powerful or desirable partner, and how that fairly clearly could be linked to vore fantasies. It also briefly touches on eucharist (the religious consumption of the flesh or blood of a god by proxy, as in christian wine and eucharist wafers) and how that might be seen as a submissive act of become one with a more powerful being, etc. It also talks about vore and submission as a sort of escape from loneliness, by consuming another person and thus having them with you always, or some such.

The article closes with a brief speculation on the nature of paraphilia, musing on whether it originates from a single or small set of early life experiences or if it develops as one's sexual interests change and intersect. The author also notes her disappointment that the case study subject never returned for follow-up interviews, because at the time of the initial interview presented in the article, the author had little knowledge of vorarephilia, and so could not ask as relevant questions as she would have liked, and that she hopes that this article might shed some light on the fetish and make way for further empirical studies in the future.

The article does, somewhat unfortunately, cite Jefferey Dahmer and the more recent case of Armin Meiwes as some starting points for understanding some of the motivations of the fetish. The association is unfortunate, but I can also understand the necessity, seeing as criminal cases are probably the only times to date that sexual cannibalism or anything close to vorarephilia have received professional attention.

I also find it very amusing that the author lists the "Gaia Online Exeon Vore Guild" as one of their sources for their vore research, because I was admin of that guild for a good while, until it fell into total inactivity some time ago... It's just funny that she cites a small niche community like that, but not this site. Oh well.

It was an interesting read, and if you can get access to it, I would recommend it. An interesting professional view and stab at analysis, despite being pretty limited in scope.
again__again
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Ephriam » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:03 am

The journal has a pretty decent impact factor, especially for something in arts and humanities. This is the article I wish I found several decades ago, haha. Really good find!
Ephriam
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby StormWolfe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:12 am

Believe I read a news article on this same person or a very similar case... at least, it sounds like it from you guys summaries (haven't read the thing myself).

Here, found it;

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/01 ... l-doctors/

Sadly its another one of those scare stories connecting us to cannibalists. Even compares the man to Jeffrey Dahmer.
StormWolfe
Somewhat familiar

Postby Avereth » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:38 am

The submissive inverse of this, the desire to be eaten, is among the rarest of fetishes

Oh those poor psychologists, they don't understand the pred/prey ratio at all.

I find it fascinating how ostensibly college educated doctors can proclaim an understanding of this fetish based on accounts of one person, extreme examples of murderers, and taking no time to examine communities dedicated to it at all. I fear they do not even begin to scrape the surface of just how psychologically fascinating this fetish is.
Avereth
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: The Savannah, resting as a meerkat squirms inside me

Postby XDDX » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:15 am

Then tell them ^^
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby SREDISKRAD » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 am

I pity the psychological world, they never learn anything because fetishes keep to themselves and only the extreme burst out of fantasy to draw any attention. I'm not saying we're not open, this is the internet, people are free to walz in and do research if they want through our galleries and whatnot. If our fetish is oh-so fascinating then why don't they do proper research. "The submissive inverse of this, the desire to be eaten, is among the rarest of fetishes" couldn't be any more wrong, yet it's written in the style of a fact. The dominant prey and submissive pred combo are rarer still that being a prey, then there are switches and observers. We watch the outside world talk about our fetish and we laugh at them, we weep at them, we feel like we aught to scold them...people like cannibals don't help us, but, I don't blame psychologists for not seeing that big of a difference beyond "if it stays in fantasy it's voraraphillia, if it doesn't then it's still voraraphillia, but a crime" because most of us here enjoy human pred and prey combos. The rare few of us who don't are either quiet about it or drowned out by the sheer number of us who enjoy human pred prey combos.

That's just my tuppence worth though.
I'm Back, BICHES!

Intentional spelling of Bitches, Biches.
SREDISKRAD
???

Postby Psychfennec » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 pm

It seems that some here missed how the editorial opinion of the National Post differs from the journal article that the Post is reporting about. That sentence that is being quoted ("the rarest of fetishes") and discussed? It never appears in the journal article, nor do the researchers express such an opinion. That's the staff of the Post talking. The researchers are doing proper research. The fact that they were able to be published in a peer-reviewed journal speaks to that.
Psychfennec
Somewhat familiar

Postby Ka-Atis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 pm

mojo-2131285 wrote:I'm not sure if it's legal to post it or not here or not, since it's from a journal that requires a subscription. Can I get a ruling from the mods?

Yes, I think it's better to be careful. Sometimes exclusive copyright is for only a limited time period, the authors are allowed to post a similar text on their own webpages, or the study is made available for the public somewhere due to sponsor agreements. But my google-fu didn't lead me to any such free version in this case, all links I found lead back to the springer pay page.

But I found this blog about the study, where parts of the text are quoted.
https://drmarkgriffiths.wordpress.com/2 ... arephilia/
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby Psychfennec » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:12 pm

My Google-fu found an unofficial prepreint on Researchgate: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jam ... 7e501a.pdf (which any of you can access through Google by simply putting the article's DOI number into Google, if you so choose).
Psychfennec
Somewhat familiar

Postby Ka-Atis » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:25 am

Good one.

I found a link to research gate too, but didn't think about mentioning it as it was behind a login wall. Seems like your google-fu is better than mine.
Ka-Atis
yum, slurp, and/or drool

Postby MirceaKitsune » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:47 am

Portrayed as "masochists"... why am I not surprised? Well realistically speaking, they are correct... although the wording is the perfect recipe to get more people to see us as weirdos or people with issues :?
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Return to General Vore Discussion