what is your opinion on...ending it ambiguously?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

what is your opinion on...ending it ambiguously?

Postby tiroflame » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 pm

so your reading a comic (or story) and the last panel/page/paragraph just abruptly ends with the prey still trapped in the stomach. it sort of leaves what happens to the prey up to your imagination. What do you like to imagine happens?

personally i like it enough. usually i imagine that the prey is brought back to life somehow.
tiroflame
New to the forum

Re: what is your opinion on...ending it ambiguously?

Postby Schpadoinkle » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 pm

I don't really like ambiguous endings much. I prefer it to end with the prey being digested. Especially if it involves their predator gaining some weight or a disposal scene.
Schpadoinkle
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Garz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:17 pm

It depends, heh.

I personally don't feel strongly about vore being fatal or being non-fatal. Some stories work better with express fatality, some work better with express non-fatality, but a lot of the time it doesn't matter. Many pictures, for example, involve swallowing - leaving what happens afterwards to the imagination can make both camps happy.

That said, some people feel /very/ strongly about it being or not being fatal, so you do have to be careful with comments one way or another. Even a stray comment implying fatal/nonfatal from the pred can result in a chunk of people being upset.

In the end, you can't always make everyone happy, but ambiguity sometimes helps in that respect... and sometimes it doesn't. People are pretty fickle.
Garz
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Assimilation » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:57 pm

I can understand the appeal of ambiguous endings when it comes to crowd-pleasing; without implying it fatal or non-fatal, the audience is free to believe it went either way. However, in practice, going through the oodles of images where one person is inside the other's stomach is usually insufficient to get me off, and I need a suggestion that the scenario ends fatally.

Because of this, I would advise artists to create content that personally appeals to them even if it's not received well by the majority, because that minority would still really love it. I don't care too much for scat scenes and look away from gory hard vore, but I'm glad that there are artists who create it for those whom desire exactly that.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Argost » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:09 am

Well, I find the lead up to be a major definition in the effectiveness of an ambiguous ending to a story (even as a comic).
In that way I can't say I prefer a definite or ambiguous ending, but rather a good story!

As a thought though, ambiguity can be interesting and powerful so as to supersede a more solid ending, but the reverse can also be just as true.
Argost
Been posting for a bit

Postby XDDX » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:22 am

tiroflame wrote:so your reading a comic (or story) and the last panel/page/paragraph just abruptly ends with the prey still trapped in the stomach. it sort of leaves what happens to the prey up to your imagination. What do you like to imagine happens?

personally i like it enough. usually i imagine that the prey is brought back to life somehow.

How is that situation going to end for the prey, realistically?

There, that's what I imagine.
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Garz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:35 am

Assimilation wrote:However, in practice, going through the oodles of images where one person is inside the other's stomach is usually insufficient to get me off, and I need a suggestion that the scenario ends fatally.

As a question on that end, then... would a picture/story/etc where the pred gave a statement which implied it was fatal be ruined if you simply had to imply that it was fatal? I mean for example, I've seen sequences which are fatal, but you only know this is fatal because the picture has a caption that states it is fatal.

Now, I know there are people for whom the picture would be ruined if said caption was blank, and there is nothing wrong with that. ^_^ You may in fact be one of those people. But for a lot of people, that would be okay.

(I would like to reemphasize that this is absolutely okay - there's nothing 'wrong' with liking or disliking something. ^_^ And of course, if the author/artist prefers one thing to another, by all means! )

XDDX wrote:How is that situation going to end for the prey, realistically?

There, that's what I imagine.

Yes, but if you can /imagine/ that then that's fine. ^_^ That means you can enjoy it!

It also means that people who are more in favor of the prey surviving can imagine something different.

And of course, this won't work for everything - Some of my stories very firmly are fatal or very firmly are non-fatal and wouldn't work the other way.

(Also uh, 'realistically' most versions of vore would rupture the esophagus on the way down if you even managed to get them past your jaws, the stomach isn't meant to work that way, and all your internal organs would be destroyed, and that's all if you managed to somehow get it to work. :P Plus, the pred would end up getting extremely sick and catch a plethora of diseases. So if you aren't a feral-hard-vore style person then most vore has suspension of disbelief to get it to work, so you can't really use 'realistically' without a plethora of 'ifs').
Garz
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby maraudingmarauder » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:49 am

Ambiguous thingies are fantastic for doing stuff with chat games and the like, just 'cause if you don't nail it down in the rules then things can be made suitable for everyone.
For instance, Jit's Nom board game pretty much describes HP as being a measure until you're too exhausted to struggle any more, rather than explicitly being dead - everything else is up to the players. I've been tinkering with a tabletop system that has next to no mechanical difference between endo and digestion (a party wipe is a party wipe regardless of whether they're dead or just trapped). Is good, 'cause it allows everyone to be happy.
maraudingmarauder
???

Postby HelloNurse » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:23 pm

I tend to leave it mostly ambiguous in my art and stories. Though the stories tend to lean more at implying fatal then my art does (mostly because I do like ten times as much drawing as writing). I like to leave it up to the viewer as I have people who like fatal and non-fatal watching my account. I do say in the comments and those that know me, know that I have a definitive ending for such images. That I enjoy fatal vore and that is always what I have in mind unless otherwise stated, but I never draw this ending 95% of the time to allow any ending the viewer may wish.

So really I don't mind an ambiguous ending, I actually would prefer that over an ending I may not enjoy. X3
"If you're smaller than the anaconda, it considers you food. If you're larger than the anaconda, it considers you a lot of food."
HelloNurse
New to the forum

Postby Mecho » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 am

This the the only ending I really like when it comes to vore. I do not want to see when the prey comes out. And I do NOT want to see the prey being digested. So when the vore ends like that, I like to imagine that the prey survives and comes out whole and happy again in the end :silly:
Mecho
---

Postby SREDISKRAD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:10 am

Why just the endings be ambiguous? Somehow making other things ambiguous like the pred would be cleverer if it's a really defined character, yet you have no idea who or what (and this can implement your own who or what to fir your preference (just don't fight about that in comments))

As for this kind of ending, do I like it? Well, I suppose I probably have used it a few times on a story I intend to continue as a series (if i can ever feel inclined to write a goddamn series....why I never can always annoys me.) but, given your situation and the prey is in the preds stomach, that prey gets digested because I like digestion and it's one of the things that draws me to vore.
I'm Back, BICHES!

Intentional spelling of Bitches, Biches.
SREDISKRAD
???

Postby Assimilation » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 am

Garz wrote:
Assimilation wrote:However, in practice, going through the oodles of images where one person is inside the other's stomach is usually insufficient to get me off, and I need a suggestion that the scenario ends fatally.

As a question on that end, then... would a picture/story/etc where the pred gave a statement which implied it was fatal be ruined if you simply had to imply that it was fatal? I mean for example, I've seen sequences which are fatal, but you only know this is fatal because the picture has a caption that states it is fatal.

I enjoy fatal vore. My draw towards vore involves the callous, nonchalant, or inconsiderate ending of life with little ceremony, and simply acknowledging this power dynamic in any subtle way is a good start for me. To that end, a simple cutaway picture of a person in a belly doesn't work well for me, but it instantly gets spiced up a little if the title or an author comment or a dialogue bubble could be interpreted this way. The more explicitly fatal, though, the more effective it is at arousing me.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Eyesofthenight » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 am

Long time I was really loving the start... of how one gets hunted, and swallowed. Especially that beginning is most important... Stomach... alone feeds my imagination of what would happen there and how it would be there... but looking picture where person is on stomach... its just... I don't even know words. I guess it is alright.. but there really is missing something. So... usually I follow the story behind it.. how beast acts and how prey does... imagining what happens. I'm rather ok with both options... although. I'm not alright with it looking like... normal. Hell... as long as it is once a life time experience its alright, no matter what happens to prey. It has got there... it has got swallowed alive.. that should be something. If it begins to be custom... what is the point? It loses much of what makes vore so interesting.

So... yes I'm alright with ambiguous ending as long as it doesn't look or seem like... being in stomach is normal thing.
I do not wish fortune that's cost is someone else's happiness.
Eyesofthenight
Been posting for a bit

Postby yummyyoungnorski » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Well I'm pretty much a fatal only sort of guy (except when the pred is a robot, in which case I see it as basically the vore equivalent of a strip tease), so that may affect my preferences, but I pretty much don't like ambiguity. To me, it takes away a lot of the power of the scene.
For the joy of good food.

Visit my gallery on DeviantArt: http://yummyyoungnorski.deviantart.com/
yummyyoungnorski
Advanced Vorarephile

Return to General Vore Discussion