Auction versus Contest ($)

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Would you be interested in this contest idea?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Yes, I'm interested and I want to draw for it
No votes
Yes, I'm interested and I want to buy in on it
8%
Yes, I'm interested but I don't want to (or can't) draw or pay for it
8%
Yes, I'm interested and I want to buy in and draw!
No votes
No, I'm not interested and your idea sucks
31%
No, I'm not interested but interesting idea
15%
Wait... I'm confused.
38%

Total votes : 13

Auction versus Contest ($)

Postby Lum_the_mad » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Recently Aesir was auctioning off slots in one the drawings he was working on so that people could put their own OCs in there for a price.

http://aryion.com/g4/view/280737

What truly amazed me about this, was that he raised 645 dollars with one picture. 645! So I have to wonder... why hasn't the exact reverse been done? (Or why don't we do it again?) Rather than commissioners trying to bid on the artist, I would like to see how many artists would be interested in entering a contest with a Prize? I'm would probably be willing to pay 100$ do have a specific vore comic I've been thinking of for a very long time, and I've seen thousands of artists come out of the woodwork on League of Legends for a bit less than that in Riot Points for contests in the past. Granted vore is much more niche, people have preferences on what they want to draw and what may be taboo for them.

So what if more people who were like me came together with our collective funds to decide on the winner of this contest based upon what we want to see? 100$ is good, but what if there were 10 of us who were willing to put in 100$? What if we made it a board wide event where every dollar you put towards the event gave you an extra vote towards who wins the contest, or what we want to see?! Gentlemen, we have the technology, we can rebuild him! The time is now!
Lum_the_mad
Been posting for a bit

Re: Auction versus Contest ($)

Postby Delet932gdrgvi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Depends on the amount and the plot and lenght of the comic.

As a whole, this seems quite complex to handle, and I doubt people would give their money to a single organizer. If you do get a system set up, I'll take an another look though :)
Delet932gdrgvi
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Bright » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:41 pm

I would be interested in drawing for a contest. That would at least give me an incentive to draw, and that is more important to me than the money.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby momonari » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:10 pm

I think your problem is that vore has too many niches itself; for example, let's suppose the people voting for macro/micro that don't like same size en up losing in votes against the same size lovers; so the macro/micro people will back out with their money because they lost and don't want to pay their 100$ for a same size vore picture they will hate !!!
This can't just happen with macro/micro vs same size, but also many other opposing niches in vore here's a little preview of what you might be fighting here:

Same size vs Macro/micro
F/M vs M/F vs F/F vs M/M
Humans vs FURRYS vs PONIES (and these are all LEGION my friend, so be ready for hell to break loose between those) !!!!
Digestion vs no digestion
Scat vs no scat
Fatal vs non-fatal
Unbirth vs Anal Vore vs Oral Vore vs Breast Vore vs Cock Vore vs Tail Vore
Hard Vore (Gory biting) Vs Softvore (no biting, just swallow)
Burping vs Farting vs Clean

So in the end all those excluded vore niches will simply back out of the bet with their money o raise hell over their stolen money, so the idea of paying for a vote seems like opening a can of very troublesome worms to me ...
momonari
Participator

Postby Gendor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:10 pm

From what i understand of your idea, everyone would get 1 vote, + 1 vote per Dollar given, this would basically mean one person who pays 100 dollars would outweigh 10 people who only added 10 dollars.
As you wrote yourself, Vore is very niche, and some people would be very opposed to see their money added to some artwork they did not want to win.
From my point of view, not as an artist, but soemone who would be interested in watching/donating, i would never give money to such a vague idea, even if it was within some boundaries i enjoy.

What would be better perhaps is if artists made their art, then got donations from the people who liked it.
After that something could be added like "The artist making most money/donator" or "Most donations to the artist" or something else.
The competition doesn't necessarily need any huge giveaways, if the artist is good, he/she could make money of of it without pissing off any donators who felt their money could have been better spent on a commission they wanted.
Gendor
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Aleph-Null » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Well, it is an interesting concept, but I do not think you would get much support in the current form.

First, you stated, "I'm would probably be willing to pay 100$ do have a specific vore comic I've been thinking of for a very long time." Now, ask your self if you would spend that money for a less specific comic, or someone else's specific fantasy? The odds of finding 10 people that all want an identical comic enough to pay a large sum of money for it are low.

I think there is an issue with the voting. If people are willing to spend their money, they should have final say on what they are spending it on. To deal with this, I would propose that instead of a vote for a single winner, each party that has pledged money would donate that money towards their favorite piece.

Above, Momonari did a good job of pointing out differences in taste. I think it would be a good idea for the monetary contributors to pick a set of circumstances that the majority are happy with, some may not wish to contribute based on preferences. The proposal that everyone agrees to should probably be as specific as a commission. What I mean by this is that everyone contributing should feel comfortable spending their money as if the specified scenario, however precise or imprecise, were a commission.

You also may have issues due to a lack of contract/discreet commission, for example, deadlines. Lets say you run this thing for a month, but a couple of artists have other priorities come up, and can not complete their work in time, the sponsors may feel a bit cheated. Further, lets say some sponsors are thoroughly unhappy with all contributions and decide to pull their funding, the artists would feel cheated.

An alternate system that may help the situations in the above paragraph would be to have the contest be for a sketch/rough of the end work, perhaps with an example that would represent the end quality of work.Then have the sponsors choose their favorites, if the artist accepts the amount, they would finish the piece, if not, the sponsors would fund a different piece.

So, in short I propose,

No voting for a single winner, each sponsor backs one piece.
Specific subject that all sponsors support.
Low commitment (sketch) contest with reward being a commission for the finished piece.
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Silent_E » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Initially I felt that this was actually kind of a silly idea, mostly because it's essentially a blind commission.... but then this comment got me to thinking a bit.

Gendor wrote:As you wrote yourself, Vore is very niche, and some people would be very opposed to see their money added to some artwork they did not want to win.

Then maybe we shouldn't handle prizes traditionally. The logistics of the whole mess would be trying, i'm sure, but how about each donator puts money down on the contest to begin with and gets... Tickets? Chips? I dunno. When the deadline expires for art submissions, each person who purchased said chips (Maybe 1 dollar per chip) would be able to distribute them to the artists who participated as they saw fit, which are then tallied up and the artists are paid the value of their chips. No major grand prize, just impress as many people as you can for the biggest payout.

I still don't think this would take off, though... maybe if you posted the sign-up sheet so that potential donators could see the list of artists that would be participating, get some heavy hitters in there... but then they'd probably wind up soaking up all the donations. I dunno.
Silent_E
Somewhat familiar

Postby Lum_the_mad » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:37 am

I will concede there are plenty of logistical problems to start off with, and there's the fact that we're talking a rather large vore community here. It's unlikely there's a single vore piece we'd all be able to get behind, but my plan is just in the theorizing state at this point, not a "Give me your money so I can make this happen." state.

For instance this contest could be split up into multiple little contests, where some people sign up for the same-size contest and other's might sign up for the macro-micro contest. The general idea is that a big reward is likely to attract big name or talented artists as it is, so that's the 'guarantee' if you will that there will be stuff of quality. 100$ from me was purely an example of what I could pay for my ultimate ideal, but I myself would likely only put 20 or 40$ into the project, and hope that others would be willing to join in. There's also the possibility that depending on what artists join the contest, more people might want to sign up to submit their opinion of what they want, thus bigger reward payout.

Again my idea is still in the idea stage, and the voting I have up there is to gauge people's interest in an idea anything like this. So far the results are about what I expected... a lot of confusion :|a
Lum_the_mad
Been posting for a bit

Postby Delet932gdrgvi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:25 am

I'm still interested in this if it or something similar gets organized.
Delet932gdrgvi
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to General Vore Discussion