Gallery Feature Update - "Mentions"

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Gallery Feature Update - "Mentions"

Postby Leshana » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is Leshana here, making some slight changes to the gallery. These are both experimental, and I'd like to let people know about them and get some feedback before they go into full production usage.

1 - Userpage Tag Clouds to Filter by User
A simple change: Every gallery owner's userpage has a mini "tag cloud" with the tags gathered on their own items. But when you click these tags they bring you to the site-wide results for that tag! I was thinking, how about if it showed you tagged items posted by that user only!
For example, if you went to My Userpage and then clicked the "Quicksand" tag, you would get only the pictures that I posted with the quicksand tag. Like so: Quicksand

2 - Notifications When Someone "Mentions" You
Okay, this is the one I am kind of excited about. I'm thinking that when someone posts an image in the gallery, its common to mention who its for, who drew it, who is in the picture etc. But that could be missed, so what if we throw a notification up on the mentioned user's message page?
I know twitter does this by @Username in the message, but... this gallery has always identified another user by using :iconUsername: People already do that, so what if we just make it so anytime you post an item with :iconUser: in the description, User gets a notification that you mentioned them!

It could show up on the message page like this:
This occurred to me when someone finished a picture for me several months ago, but I never noticed that they posted it. As it happened I loved the picture, but had only found it when I happened to search for my name.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this one?
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Re: Gallery Feature Update - "Mentions"

Postby MotherOfMonsters » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Okay, personally I think these are both great ideas.

For the user based tag cloud; this would be a nice way to browse a particular user's gallery in a way that makes sense to the viewer. You get to look through the work for what you want, regardless of if the user's gallery is well organized or not. When I first joined the site, this is what I instinctively thought the user's tag cloud would do, so this function would likely make navigating the gallery more intuitive.

As for the mention notifications, this seems like a natural progression for the :iconUsername: operation. I don't think its something that the average user will encounter much, but for the more active members it could be very useful. While I can't see it commonly being abused, it may be wise to implement an opt-out option for it, either in general or making sure its something that is blocked when a specific user is blocked; just to account for spam and/or malicious users. On the off chance you hadn't already thought of this.
MotherOfMonsters
Somewhat familiar

Postby Bright » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Ooh, I really like this.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Garz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:47 pm

These sound like great ideas to me. Especially since they alleviate some pressure when it comes to organizing one's page.
Garz
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby TheAllSeeingEye » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Ok, for the mentions, you'll need to add that to the top where it says xxxx Messages (___s, ___w, ___c, ___f)
So it'd be (s, w, c, f, pm, m)
s-submissions
w-watches
c-comments
f-faves
pm-private messages
m-mentions
etc

Just an idea since I didnt even see the mention of my name in a recent pic posted till this morning, & the pic was from last night lol
EXPLORE ALL THE BELLIES!!!
TheAllSeeingEye
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 2groovey » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm

I'm liking these ideas.

MLP discussion thread

TF2 discussion thread
2groovey
???

Postby TheAllSeeingEye » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:13 am

hey, there's something like a glitch or error with the mentions...
While in the forums, my messages are xx96, but when I go to my messages, it's a different number. The previous number plus how many mentions I have.
just a heads up ^^
EXPLORE ALL THE BELLIES!!!
TheAllSeeingEye
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby CharlieC » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 am

Great ideas! :D
CharlieC
???

Postby blooberbloob » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm

For the tagging one, why not give us the option to choose the tags to lead us to the artist's work with the tag or the sitewide submissions with the tags?
I hate January April, May, August, December

blooberbloob
---

Postby Leshana » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:00 pm

blooberbloob wrote:For the tagging one, why not give us the option to choose the tags to lead us to the artist's work with the tag or the sitewide submissions with the tags?

How would that option look? As in, what should it look like on the screen to give a choice? The tags are a just links that you click on; can you think of a way that a choice could be offered, that visitors to the site would understand?
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Postby blooberbloob » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 am

Leshana wrote:
blooberbloob wrote:For the tagging one, why not give us the option to choose the tags to lead us to the artist's work with the tag or the sitewide submissions with the tags?

How would that option look? As in, what should it look like on the screen to give a choice? The tags are a just links that you click on; can you think of a way that a choice could be offered, that visitors to the site would understand?

You put the option in the account configuration that would allow the user to switch between sitewide to user's tagged submissions.

It could look something like "Cloud tags will send you to:" and have a drop down menu for "User's gallery" and "Site gallery"

On another note, I like the mentions idea.
I hate January April, May, August, December

blooberbloob
---

Return to Technical stuff