Character Reviews?

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Character Reviews?

Postby DNAtwist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:27 pm

So, I saw an ad for Angies List today. It's a website where you can find reviews and ratings for businesses, and I thought to myself. "What if the portal had a function like this for characters?" Now, I don't know if there is already a place like this on the portal (if there is I haven't been able to find it...) But I think it would be cool if something like that did exist to help people see how others have experienced them. Maybe you could find out that they leave mid RP often, or have short replies that take a long time to for them to send. They could even be used to compliment RPer's like: "Good with mouthplay!" What do you guys think?
DNAtwist
New to the forum

Re: Character Reviews?

Postby rbrtlo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 pm

A review system has the unfortunate quality of damning everyone for his/her shortcomings. Any good reviews will likely be eclipsed by bad ones.
Also, bad reviews leave no chance for players to improve. Someone might work on a problem they've had only for their progress to never be recognized because of an outdated, condemning review.

If anything I think it would make roleplay match-making more difficult and picky. Reviews are good for quality control, but on the portal, you are the quality controller. It's fine to run into bad players, because there's no cost associated with it. When it comes to ads where money is involved, on Angie's list, reviews work because there are different factors at play.
rbrtlo
Somewhat familiar

Postby Assimilation » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Disclaimer: I have no stake in this because I don't use the chatroom.

I think it's a poor idea. Unsolicited reviews for player characters mean that people can't erase the stain of a poor review, even if they might evolve their practices over time so that the review is no longer relevant. Roleplayers are ordinary humans sitting at home investing their emotions and imaginations into a shared experience; they're not necessarily risk-takers willing to enter a market where business is not personal, just business. There are a lot of introverts here getting their feet wet, and anonymity encourages them to try out new encounters without fear of developing a permanent negative reputation for poor performance.

And if the owner of the character can delete poor reviews... then is it really accomplishing what you're looking for a la Angie's List?
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby DNAtwist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:15 pm

rbrtlo wrote:A review system has the unfortunate quality of damning everyone for his/her shortcomings. Any good reviews will likely be eclipsed by bad ones.
Also, bad reviews leave no chance for players to improve. Someone might work on a problem they've had only for their progress to never be recognized because of an outdated, condemning review.

If anything I think it would make roleplay match-making more difficult and picky. Reviews are good for quality control, but on the portal, you are the quality controller. It's fine to run into bad players, because there's no cost associated with it. When it comes to ads where money is involved, on Angie's list, reviews work because there are different factors at play.

Hmm, didn't think of it that way. I was mostly thinking of good things to say so that players who enjoy (for example) really long and descriptive digestions, could easily find someone who likes that stuff too, instead of RPing with someone for 2 hours and find out that they like really short digestion. But hey, the portal does a good job at exposing its members to things other people like, and maybe even expand what you like yourself.
DNAtwist
New to the forum

Postby SkyCastle » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:55 pm

The new chat room version that is still in development will have some enhanced tools to find RP suitable RP partners. Having a review system will just create drama and situations where dishonest people will tarnish a player's reviews because they rejected them, or perhaps the opposite where a poor RPer is belittled and put down because of their erroneous posts or poor grammar which doesn't give them much encouragement or a chance to better themselves. In a perfect world where everyone was honest and accepting of critical advice, a review system would be good but for the internet...? Nah.
SkyCastle
Been posting for a bit

Postby Gileseypops » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:58 am

There is a way you can get a comment box added to your profile if you copy the right HTML and several people use this, but it's mainly for saying 'hey'. There's nothing to stop you writing in a good review, but the bad ones will probably get deleted anyway so it's a little biased.

But yeah, I agree with most here. RP's can be touchy subjects and not everyone clicks when they are RPing, and it's hard to be impartial. If you find someone you like RPing with, see if they're interested in getting a comment box and you can write a nice comment. Otherwise, it's probably not going to happen.
Gileseypops
New to the forum

Postby four_fleets » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:27 pm

A while back, our friend Aces on the chat used to have a review system. He'd offered it to everyone who asked- and put up a few limiting factors. The thing is so many people complained in counter to his complaints that he had to shut it down simply because- while you may consider yourself to be the pinnacle of writing, he's probably seen and done better. So he felt inclined to shut it down because people were being terrible people, which doesn't surprise me after what happened to Mindy.
  I wonder if you'll visit This thread?  

I finally found out how to use BBCcode.
four_fleets
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to Our chat room