Space Odyssey Alpha 083C

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

0.085 interim feature request poll

Crew equipment II (yet more equipment)
5%
Spaceship equipment I (New starship technologies)
4%
Planetary biospheres I (Planetary biome info, prequisite for alien outposts and generated missions)
16%
Better effects I (Make game prettier)
35%
Unified services I (new starbase interface, prequisite for full shipyard services and alien colonies)
7%
Attempt AI improvements II (Make AI less dumb, please specify the shortcoming if you pick this option)
3%
Power armour I (add power armour)
9%
Revamp crew window
4%
More information on cargo window
1%
Journal system (let the player keep notes in game)
3%
Combat statistics post mission for crew (leads to kill tallies)
2%
Solar systems (Convert from stars to solar systems)
7%
Other(specify)
4%

Total votes : 256

Re: Space Odyssey Alpha 081E

Postby Shadowlyger » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Here ya go.

http://www.mediafire.com/?23b7m24kfpte9cx

Also, apparently full harpies still get to attack an infinite number of times. They don't continue attacking after the victim is dead, but it was a bit of a surprise when one landed in the middle of a bunch of my characters and promptly kicked all of them to death.
Shadowlyger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 pm

The crash is because you have tried to use harpies as crew. This is not a legal move in the game since the 0.081 refactoring effort split actormonster and actorcharacter2 out of actorcharacter with actorunit now holding their common functions.

By putting harpies in the crew you create an actorcharacter2 out of data meant for actormonster, monsters dont have enough art for the actorcharacter2 offsets to work so it crashes.

edit:
Also, apparently I forgot to make monstrous melee spend AP, whoops..but anyway. Fix coming. Also I dunno how a harpy 'landed' seen as they lost their ability to jump in 0.081 (they'll regain it in 0.09).

edit:
regarding how and why the monsters crash.
An actor characters first artset goes: emptyhands-pistol-rifle-dead
A harpy or monsters first artset goes: generic appearance-dead
When a harpy masquerading as an actorcharacter dies it offsets the artset by 3, not 1. so it ends up: appearance-dead-not allocated-here.
And here is also unallocated so it breaks.
Last edited by darkevilme on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
darkevilme
---

Postby Shadowlyger » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:20 am

Ah. Boo.

Only seems to crash when one of them is KO'd, though.

EDIT: Ah, didn't notice they lost their jump. Well, it walked into the middle of them and promptly wrecked everybody. :lol:

But apparently that's fixed now so YAY I can do harpy planets without my entire crew being demolished by a single harpy.
Shadowlyger
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: Space Odyssey Alpha 082

Postby darkevilme » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Okay. That's another update. Unfortunately there's a snag that means our plans must change.

We'd promised a new enemy for 0.085 and more than one new enemy for 0.090. The good news is that we now have a secretive third party who's agreed to take over art duties. The bad news is that seen as i'm not doing it we need to give more time before new enemy types and thus new forms of vorey smut can appear.

It will be well worth the wait however.

But in the meantime as we've updated to 0.082, in essence fulfilling part of 0.085's mandate and can't pursue 0.090 you lot are welcome to suggest other features and such for me to work on during the grace period. New equipment, new quests and new features are all good suggestions. Suggestions of new enemies will be disregarded unless you yourselves are going to come up with the art for them.
darkevilme
---

Postby Vizix » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Hey so every time I save my game it crashes. I like getting attached to my crew before they are eaten. Also where did the male chars go?
Last edited by Vizix on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vizix
Participator

Postby vintious » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Ah yes, the mysterious "third-party" benefactors that you keep referencing throughout development. Thanks un-seen shadows of space odyssey.

Saving is broken.
Disagreeable
vintious
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 pm

There's always something I forget to test.
Fix coming. Still open to suggestions.
darkevilme
---

Postby Shadowlyger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:20 am

I think about the sum of any suggestions will simply be "more vore". :lol: Though I'd go for something like an infodump about the various races you encounter via the conversation thing.

Also I encountered a fascinating... glitch? I threw a ten-character crew onto a harpy planet with no weapons and just sat there. The harpies dutifully took out eight of them... and then flew off and left the last two alone. This repeated when I reloaded my save and did it again, though this time they KO'd - but didn't unbirth - one of them before flying off. Even if I chased them down and punched them they didn't fight back.

Also I had modded my crew to be Space Pirates (because they have the full range of animations right?) and space pirates, as it turns out, can punch an infinite number of times regardless of action points. Not sure if that holds true for the NPC ones.
Shadowlyger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:09 am

Okay, taken down 0.082 till i fix saving and make sure the grenades are working properly.

As for infodumps, i would if there was info to dump. I haven't expended a great deal of energy worldbuilding, there isn't a vast intricacy you're not seeing here. It really is as shallow as it looks.

Also fixed the lack of a minimum action point requirement on the bare knuckled attacks.

As for the harpies, that's..just...weird.

edit:
Saving is now fixed, other things might also be fixed.

edit: to lolcp
The male characters were not converted when we went to 0.080. When we went to 0.080 i took the time to make a new model for the female crew which was much less crappy than the old one. I ran out of steam before doing the males though and as a result I didn't bother to convert them at the time, and now we have a new artsy friend so its not my purview anymore.
darkevilme
---

Re: Space Odyssey Alpha 082A

Postby Lonewolf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey darkevilme! I have been keeping up with the progress of Space Odyssey, and I am glad to see how active you are with development.

For a future enhancement, I have a suggestion:
When battling enemy ships while exploring space, there are two outcomes:
1. You win - You can board the enemy ship OR you can abandon the enemy ship.
2. You lose - You get boarded. You are forced to fight.

If you do not plan on boarding the enemy ship, there is no incentive to fight them. What I am suggesting is, instead of giving us only two options on victory (board ship, or abandon), give us a third option: Destroy and salvage for parts (smaller rewards).
In addition, losing the fight does not put you at a disadvantage when it comes to actual on-ship combat (the location of the battle is only determined). I am also suggesting giving the victors an advantage in inside-ship battles, such as increased health, morale, injured crew, etc. to give more incentive to winning the actual ship-on-ship battle.

Just suggestions. Love the game!
Lonewolf
Been posting for a bit

Postby Shadowlyger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Dark did mention that abandoning an attempt at boarding the opposing vessel was essentially you just blasting them to pieces with sustained fire. Getting some salvage from it would be pretty nice, though.

Also, if you haven't thought of any kind of backstory, then just pull something out of your ass, always works for me. :lol:
Shadowlyger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:42 am

Maybe I should throw an animation in showing the alien ship getting pulverized when you press 'abort' on the mission screen.

Also, it used to be that the health of enemies was reduced to 50% if you won the spaceship fight. After 0.081 i admit I forget to re-implement that. I might redo it though, or have it so that modules being disabled damages those inside them.

And later you'll get actual rewards for winning both space fight and the boarding attempt, like weapons for your ship or whatever.
darkevilme
---

Postby mikoc5 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:29 pm

From the sound of it it looks like Jagged Alliance players will have it a tad easier to understand combat and recruitment mechanics.

Also: note to self: Wait for version 0.9xx
mikoc5
Been posting for a bit

Postby darkevilme » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:37 pm

I doubt there will ever be such a version. we're at 0.082A and we're planning to stop pending the formation of a proper development team once we hit 0.1.

edit:
Although really. 0.082A is perfectly playable as alphas go. Honest.
darkevilme
---

Postby Imrhys » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 am

After who knows how many months of you telling me about this thread, I finally found it (accidentally). Hello and wow, .082A, damn, you really have been busy. Now let's see if with my memory I remember it a week from today >_>
"Mmmm," Purple eyes stare enviously at a young woman's chest. "I might have to borrow that..."

A bit later as whimpers of despair fade, Im'Rhys admires her newest bewb job, "Ooooh, these look so much better on me."
Imrhys
---

Postby DragonsFTW » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:24 am

I think it would be nice for there to be an option to just skip the space fight and let the aliens board your ship. I think some players ( including me) don't bother with the space battle and just want to move straight to fighting (or be eaten by) the aliens.
DragonsFTW
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 am

A skip to smut button. hmm, well if I figure out where to put it. The game being on a resolution of 800 by 600 has made me acutely aware of screen real estate. Sketch where you'd stick it and I'll consider.
darkevilme
---

Postby Shadowlyger » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 am

Somewhere on the "radar" screen before a space fight? Stick a button there to engage or let them board or attempt to flee. Not sure what kind of check you'd make on attempting to run.
Shadowlyger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Throku » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 pm

darkevilme wrote:A skip to smut button. hmm, well if I figure out where to put it. The game being on a resolution of 800 by 600 has made me acutely aware of screen real estate. Sketch where you'd stick it and I'll consider.

Why is it on 800 by 600 anyway? It's been a while since we left the 90-ies...

Oh and one of these days I'll return to yuor game, I feel I have little to contribute while there's no real character interaction and now that there are other gametesters around, not like when Duamutef was making Cartovore and VRPG and I was the only one giving him useful feedback. :P It's pretty impressive that he actually made the wo workable verions of those in one winter, after that it was a lot of do-overs and resulting bugchases. :P But VRPG 1.3 was flawless, though less fancy than the final 2.12 version (that was the second stable version), I know the 2.14 works now thanks to massive's magic.

And I noticed the thing about setting. I might have a solution for that...we'll see. Obviously it's a choice on your part as well...so far it's not really a vore focused world-build, although it's certainly in there and well one just has to shift the focus I suppose...
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby darkevilme » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:45 pm

A more vore centric world setting as opposed to a threadbare world setting is perfectly fine with me. If anyone wants to knuckle under and flesh out the background appropriately that's fine with me and their work will probably end up canon.

As for 800 by 600, I originally didn't feel confident to have variable resolutions so I chose one that laptops could handle.

edit:
As for character interaction, I think Ideally it'd be cool if we could get procedural characters like Dwarf Fortress had and go from there. Seen as we have the galaxy itself built procedurally. This is all planning for the future though till I get me a writery type person for team Odyssey.
darkevilme
---

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game