RPG Vore Engine [New first Post]

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: RPG Vore Engine [New look, and now working on XP]

Postby Eolwin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, I tend to be really bad at planning things like that, so I'll just say that the editor will be released this year, and a dev version probably in 6 months from now. For the game, you'll have to wait longer than that unfortunately.
Eolwin
Somewhat familiar

Postby latoshi121 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:06 pm

thanks for the update. Wish you had more help to get it done faster. half a year seems to long to wait >.<
latoshi121
New to the forum

Postby Big_D » Thu May 22, 2014 7:07 pm

-raps on Eolwin's screen- I know it hasn't been half a year yet but I was just wondering if there was any new insights you were willing to share with us(fancy way of saying "whats up,tell us what you've done)
Darkness entwines a foolish young heart but the brave will always ring true.......yeah right ;p
Patreon account https:https://www.patreon.com/Yubel
Big_D
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Eolwin » Wed May 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Sorry for the delayed answer and lack of updates.
I've been under quite a lot of stress these days/weeks and I must admit I didn't work a lot on the editor. I just did some visual updates (made it more nice looking) and I've done some minor stuff.
I'm trying to plan a trip to Canada for studying there next year in an exchange program, and this is stressing me quite a lot.

I've been working on something a bit more important though lately, which is an intellisense-like thingy for the script editor. Basically it makes it easier to type code. I really wanted something like that, for myself, because going through lines of code just in order to know what methods are available to me is really meh, and to help people who don't really know ruby.
If you know what a dynamic Language is, you must know what a pain in the ass it is to make an intellisense for Ruby. But I've got the basics of it at the moment. I'm just trying to find a way to make it understand what the type of the variable would be. I could show you some pics about it, but they aren't really interesting yet, so I'd rather wait to show something I'm actually a bit proud of.

I've also done some experiments with C++, to make the editor able to work on Linux too, and potentially MacOS, but I've abandonned it for now, because it was taking me too long to understand how it works, so remaking the whole editor for C++ would have taken much longer than half a year. So I decided to stick to VB.Net and finish the editor before trying to make it work on Linux and other stuff, so it can at least fully work on my computer.

I've also been wanting to do some streaming again, but I thought that people tend to be more interested in the making of the game than in the making of the editor, so I'll just work on that on my own until I do more on the game, then I'll do some streaming to let people see what I'm doing.

Glad to know people didn't forget about it even though I've been silent for all this time ^^
Eolwin
Somewhat familiar

Postby Seifens » Thu May 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Eolwin wrote:I've also done some experiments with C++, to make the editor able to work on Linux too, and potentially MacOS, but I've abandonned it for now, because it was taking me too long to understand how it works, so remaking the whole editor for C++ would have taken much longer than half a year.

If you're using VB.NET, you should look into Mono. It's basically a cross-platform version of the CLR and most of the .NET framework. It runs on several versions of linux and macos, and has been proven in use by some major games already.
Seifens
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Eolwin » Fri May 30, 2014 4:32 am

Seifens wrote:If you're using VB.NET, you should look into Mono. It's basically a cross-platform version of the CLR and most of the .NET framework. It runs on several versions of linux and macos, and has been proven in use by some major games already.

Thank you for the advice, I sure will have a look at this.
Eolwin
Somewhat familiar

Postby RumiBelly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:08 am

Is this still in progress?
RumiBelly
Somewhat familiar

Postby Vidofinir » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:04 am

radiogenicvore wrote:Is this still in progress?

Having talked to the creator yesterday, I can say that it is still in progress ^^ He was having computer issues for awhile.
Vidofinir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: RPG Vore Engine

Postby Eolwin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:13 am

Hi everyone.

As stated above by Vidofinir, I'm definitely still working on the Editor, but it takes a huge lot of time.
The reason I haven't posted much updates is that I've had a lot of irl stuff happening in my life, to name them :

- My computer's motherboard and harddrive died. Fortunately, the harddrive only died after the motherboard, when I was trying to save most of my data on another computer, so I could save the editor. Repairing it took more than a month.
- Moving to Canada. I just arrived in Canada two weeks ago, and... there are lots of changes to get accustomed too, especially since I had pretty much nothing, and had to get everything I needed fast since my courses started one day later. So lots of stress and stuff and stuff.

Now I finally feel like I'm at home enough to keep working on the editor. So it should go a bit faster.
I've worked on an auto-updater thingy, which works actually damn well and looks good at the same time. Basically what that means is that as long as you have internet, you won't need to come on that thread or on my website to check if there are new updates available, the editor will tell you by itself.
This also means that I could release a non-definitive version of the editor, maybe disabling some things that don't work yet, and slowly add them as I update it, so you could get your hands/paws around it and start making stuff.

The other thing I've been working on for more than 3 months now, is the ScriptEditor. This is probably the biggest part of the editor, and the hardest.
Basically I'm trying to have the ScriptEditor read and analyse what you type in there, to help you. This is something that exists in Visual Studio, and that is called Intellisense. Unfortunately, doing that for Ruby is much more complicated, since a variable can have any type. What I came up with was actually telling the editor what you expect a variable to be. For people who know Ruby, it would look like this :

Code: Select all
def <Something> something()
    @something
end

To explain a little bit, <Something> is what I've added to Ruby. Basically you tell the editor that you want the method something() to return an object of the type Something, the type always being defined by <Type>

Of course, Ruby being a dynamic language, it really doesn't need that. But this allows the editor to help much more than if it was just guessing what you'd want to type. Of course, you can just remove the <Something> part. If it's not present, the editor will simply add a <Object> instead anyway, and when the script is saved for the game, everything that is between < and > will simply be removed, since it has no effect in the game anyway.

Unfortunately, working on the Script system doesn't change much that would be visible enough to be worth posting here. That being said, if you wanted to see me work on the editor, I could stream it, but it would mostly just be lots of codding and stuff. Post bellow if you want me to make streams again.

Anyway this is pretty much it. I don't think I have much more to add, so see you all soon! ^,,^
Eolwin
Somewhat familiar

Postby Savagen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:47 pm

!!

Glad to see ya' back!

Happy to hear about the progress and I'd totally love to see a stream whenever you do it. I wanna learn a bit about coding so it'd be nice to watch.

And sorry to hear about the computer, but glad to hear that you at least managed to save stuff. Losing data is never fun :cry:
Savagen
New to the forum

Postby Salanth » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:13 am

I was actually thinking about how I haven't heard anything new about this in quite a while. That also reminds me, I've sort of been trying to write enemies for this already, just the text parts that is. I'm not sure if the descriptive parts of my writing is any good though, I think I have tendency to only write "x does y" type of sentences.

Anyway, wish you luck on making the scripteditor work. As someone who has tried to learn to program C++ I see the use in intellisense.
Salanth
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Big_D » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:57 pm

I have ideas but i can't write them down fast enough before they change again, also i agree intellisense is a god send for scripting
Darkness entwines a foolish young heart but the brave will always ring true.......yeah right ;p
Patreon account https:https://www.patreon.com/Yubel
Big_D
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: RPG Vore Engine

Postby Eolwin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Thank you very much for your answers ^,,^ They are always very appreciated

Savagen wrote:
Spoiler: show
!!
Glad to see ya' back!

Happy to hear about the progress and I'd totally love to see a stream whenever you do it. I wanna learn a bit about coding so it'd be nice to watch.

And sorry to hear about the computer, but glad to hear that you at least managed to save stuff. Losing data is never fun :cry:

I'll try to make a livestream for this week end then, I'll give an update on the first post of this thread with a countdown at least a day before. I can't promise you it will be very exciting, since I'll probably be working on that rubysense thing I'm trying to make, and not on the more interesting aspects of the editor, but if you think you might be interested, I don't see why I wouldn't share ^,,^

That1guy wrote:
I was actually thinking about how I haven't heard anything new about this in quite a while. That also reminds me, I've sort of been trying to write enemies for this already, just the text parts that is. I'm not sure if the descriptive parts of my writing is any good though, I think I have tendency to only write "x does y" type of sentences.

Anyway, wish you luck on making the scripteditor work. As someone who has tried to learn to program C++ I see the use in intellisense.

Once I'll be done with that Rubysense/Intellisense thingy I'm trying to make, I'll probably ask for people to post what they can think about for the enemies. I already have my idea about what it should be like, but I want the editor to be as open as possible, and I'm quite open to ideas you might have (regardless of the writing quality) as long as it follows the pattern I used in the first versions of the files, even before I started making the editor. But let's not worry about that now, I'll post more details once I'll get to the enemies part in the editor ^^

Big_D wrote:I have ideas but i can't write them down fast enough before they change again, also i agree intellisense is a god send for scripting

Yeah I know the feeling unfortunately. Sometimes I think about awesome stuff I'd like to add to the editor/game, and then once I get to actually work on them, I forget why it was awesome or I have no idea how to bring it to life, so I just end up dropping it. Probably just keep a sheet of paper with you and write your ideas down as soon as they come, and try to stick to them.

Anyway, if you have any comments on what the game/editor should include, I'm quite open to ideas really. It's not that hard to modify my code (I might just post the code of the editor somewhere one day for people who'd like to use it) so if you want the editor to be able to do something, feel free to tell me about it, and if I can I'll add it. Just remember that unless I'm really interested I might just save your idea on my TODO list, which is pretty much what would happen right now since I'm really focusing only on the Rubysense thing at the moment, but it doesn't mean that I'll forget about your ideas, quite the opposite.

Anyway, have fun eating/being eaten!
Eolwin
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jazzumness » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:38 pm

As far as modding its easy to change current param's with notepad++ the game is very customizable and offers a lot of choices compared to others. The editor will probably increase the modding ability for this game and which is very useful for a game that has a lot of options
Jazzumness
Somewhat familiar

Postby sabrina_diamond » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:05 am

A general question. Can this game also contain endosomatophilia scenes? It's okay if it doesn't, I'm just wondering if that is a good option for the game to include.
*Chomp, slideee, gurgle gurgle* Must have ate something off! *screaming*
sabrina_diamond
???

Postby Eolwin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Jazzumness wrote:
As far as modding its easy to change current param's with notepad++ the game is very customizable and offers a lot of choices compared to others. The editor will probably increase the modding ability for this game and which is very useful for a game that has a lot of options

Thanks ^^ I'm really trying to keep it as simple as possible, so that everyone can mod it easily, to add stuff they want. When the editor will be finished, ALL the code of the game will be available, and you'll be free to change it the way you want, even just make it completely unmoddable (Although I don't really support it). But yeah, once the editor is done, whatever you want to do, you can. Even a 3D game actually, though it might not be really efficient. And you'd have to do it in scripts only, since the rest of the editor isn't really made for that. But hypothetically, since the scripts of the game are completely available, you could pretty much do anything with it. Even completely mess it up and screw the game.

sabrina_diamond wrote:
A general question. Can this game also contain endosomatophilia scenes? It's okay if it doesn't, I'm just wondering if that is a good option for the game to include.

Actually there already is an option for that. If you don't want digestion stuff, you can just turn that option off. And the digestion will be completely kept out of the descriptions (if people who mod the game play it fair). But yes, there will be direct endo scenes, where the prey will actually be able to get out, either the prey being you or someone else. That's going to be included.

Thanks for your comments ^^ They are very appreciated.
Eolwin
Somewhat familiar

Re: RPG Vore Engine [Updater and Two Prototypes]

Postby Eolwin » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello everyone!
As usual, it's been months since the last time I gave an update, so to reward you for your patience, I have a lot of things to actually -show-

The last two months have been incredibly fruitful. I've been working on a lot of different things for the editor, and for once, almost all of it has been working very well without too much stress and debugging. First, I've been working on the updater, this led me to working on giving the editor a bit more personality. I've also been working on the Data Editor, and more especially the species editor. Unfortunately there isn't much to show yet, but this was important to mention because doing so made me want to make an actual image editor for the game. So I made it. I've also been working on making the Media Library cleaner, and finally, what I'm working on right now, making RubySense work! And I can say that I'm at last getting somewhere with it! Getting somewhere meaning that it's almost ready to be implemented into the editor.

So here they are:

Updater:
Basically what it does is checking for updates online. It will check every hour and at the start of the editor if an update is available on dropbox. If there is one, it will notify you on the top right corner of the main window. If you click that, it will open this tab with a cute draggy.
I've always hated how when you update something you have no idea what it changes, and if you really want it. So I made a changelog! It will basically check the changelog online linked to the new version, and display it. If there is no later version available, it will simply display the changelog of the current version of the editor on your computer.
To download the new version, just click download, wait for the progress to be done (you can still work on your game in the mean time), and then click install. Clicking install will close the editor and start the setup. At the end of the setup and when you'll restart the editor, the setup.exe will be removed, keeping your computer clean.

Draggy Says:
Working on the update's UI made me want to give the editor a bit more personality. I got sick of the default error messages of windows, and wanted something different. So... what's better than a dragon? It's a very very vorish species, it's cute, it's awesome, and I'm a dragon (uh urr) So why not give the editor its own dragon?
Basically it works a bit like an AI (or VI by Mass Effect standards would be more accurate ^,=,^), promping you with error messages, asking you if you want to save your progress, and messing with you if you mess with him (I tried, it's fun.)

DrawIt Editor Prototype:
In the game, I was planning on displaying pictures of the different species available during the character creation. The problem was that I had no idea why, given that I don't have any particular drawing talents. Drawing the dragon face for Draggy made me realize how easy and rather fun it is to mess around with vectors, and how relatively easy they are to code. So I've decided to use them for the game as well. Instead of having just a text game, there will be some graphics here and there.
The most interesting thing to consider is that with vectors, you can modify the images dynamically. What I want is to do just that, by linking some points of the image to a property, let's say a couple of points of the belly with the fullness property, to have the belly grow as the character eats.
I'm still wondering about how to implement that in an easy-to-understand way, but I'm getting closer.

MediaLibrary:
Not much to say. I got very very sick of the last interface, so I changed it to be more in tune with the rest of the editor, and to make it cleaner.
It's worth noting that compared to the last design, it can now navigate into your computer, instead of just your project. It will also check if you have any cloud folders, and if you do, it will add them to the right panel, to be able to display there contents easily. Note that it only displays the files you have on your computer, it doesn't do anything online.

PlacePanel Prototype:
Another thing that I got sick of was the old place panel (where you tell the game the story to display, the choices and stuff). The older one was really blah and unfriendly. So I remade it again. And this time, I think I can say that I'm proud of it. It is much -much- faster to load, cleaner, more explicit, and more important, which doesn't make you want to run away and go back to text files.
I've also added a lot of shortcuts to make almost everything faster.

RubySense Prototype:
FINALLY IT WORKS!
I've been working on it for so long, having at least 4 failed designs in the editor, and a couple more as side projects. Finally this time it's getting somewhere, and more important, it's doing it very fast. The most that I've checked is it analysing 6800ish lines of code (basically, the whole game in its current state) in 647 milliseconds. So... Yay! Since it analyses it each time you return to a new line, or type a dot and things like that, I wanted it to be super fast, but not less accurate. After working on this latest design for days, it's working just fine. Finally coding in the editor will become kinda fun again. YAY!

I've also corrected a couple of things, made the editor faster and a lot of other things that I can't really show. But... yay! Progress!
I hope you enjoyed this wall of text. Hopefully more is to come soon.
Eolwin
Somewhat familiar

Postby Bright » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm

I found the vector thing quite interesting.
Visit my artblog?
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Savagen » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Oh WOW that's a lotta neat features! The drawIt thing is really cool (can't wait to create in that all day) and the dragon popups are pretty adorable to say the least

The way it's set up is pretty innovative and just makes me even more anxious for the editor/game to be released~ *A*
Savagen
New to the forum

Postby Midir » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:06 pm

It looks interesting! The Engine is going to be entirely standalone, right?~

Is there a possibility to add animations and sprites in there? I am irrelevant about them, but I know some people love games with sprites, instead of pure text adventures. I would assume this is a pure text-adventure editor, but the DrawIt part seems to suggest it will be possible to add sprites too?

How complicated the AI is gonna be? I remember some game engine with a restruction on manipulating NPCs only when the player is in the same room. It was a bit unfortunate... on the other hand, if I need something too complicated maybe I simply should write it from scratch?

What language are you writing it in?

PS. The Dragon is awesome!
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game