Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.20.2]

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.10.0]

Postby Myconid32 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:46 pm

gravifan89 wrote:
Dragonvorelover135 wrote:
Myconid32 wrote:
As I mentioned in the FAQ, the custom enemies will be collected and added once I am done with most of the other things, unless there's a very compelling reason for them to go in a certain location. I'm doing it that way because I want to use custom enemies to fill out otherwise thin sections of the game.

Also, with one exception, the next ten or so enemies on my list are predators or apex.
Oh right! Forgot about that being mentioned. As for the predators, can't wait to see what they are.

Would one of them happen to be my submitted Naga predator? I know I suggested some, creatures, one of which was a Naga.

Not yet. Whether or not I add custom enemies earlier than others depends on what I need at the time (for example, humanoid enemies for the Labyrinth section). Otherwise, as previously mentioned, custom enemies will be added last.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.10.0]

Postby Daelakama » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:52 am

trogg mystic description typo: "-it is more cunning and dangerousthan the lesser-"

Haven't tested in the full game yet, but are the mystics meant to flee almost immediately (1-2 turns after hunting status)?

Trapper desynced after I had broken out and saved.
Daelakama
Somewhat familiar

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.10.1]

Postby Myconid32 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:03 am

Update 0.10.1: Details in the changelog.

This is a minor one involving the mercifully short list of bugs reported thus far. I changed up the Mystic (most importantly giving him an actual ranged attack... thanks Daelakama); he will still maintain distance but will actually shoot you, too. He previously moved at the same speed as the player, essentially allowing him to get free hits, so I slowed him down so you will actually be able to catch him.

The Imp was also given the ability to maintain distance from you, since I want the player to use alternative methods of killing him, like thrown weapons or magic. Otherwise he is hard to counter. If you can't catch him in melee, you can try chasing him into a pred and, ahem, "recovering" your stolen item later.

Daelakama wrote:trogg mystic description typo: "-it is more cunning and dangerousthan the lesser-"

I failed to address this in the current build because I was distracted by the Mystics not attacking, and compiled everything before I remembered. It will be fixed for the next build.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Myconid32 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:19 pm

If testers haven't found anything worth mentioning, I'll continue working on the next update. I'm planning on adding about five new predators/apex predators since the enemy behaviors shouldn't be too complex.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby DigiThing » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:23 pm

yep, nothing of note, though i haven't played it that much (i blame GTAV and ESO inviting me back)
Remember to always have fun in whatever you do :3

DigiThing
DigiThing
Somewhat familiar

Postby betacygni » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:43 pm

I haven't been playing very much because it's near the end of school so projects and finals are sucking up a lot of my time- but if there are any bugs, they don't seem to be huge ones.
betacygni
Somewhat familiar

Postby Daelakama » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 am

Something of minor note; I noticed a serpent fighting a something (bandit, but it wasn't in view). After a few turns, the serpent swallowed and digested the bandit (which I hadn't actually seen in the dungeon yet, either), both times appearing as bandit in the text at the top of the screen for the swallow and digestion. Out of curiosity, does everything here seem to be working as intended? Situation caught my eye due to the 'something' dialogue followed by my character knowing that the snake nommed a bandit, rather than just something.

Oh, also, the serpent may not've been taking damage from the bandit while damaging and killing off the bandit in turn.

Edits:
-Speaking of serpents! Are they meant to recloak just when their health gets low and they need to run, or should they return to invisibility after each battle/snack?

-The healing spores from a bloodwort stalk appear to reveal stealthed creatures while they are inside the cloud?

-How is the centaur meant to function, as far as his territorial aspect goes?

-I am successfully devouring the other denizens of the dungeon a lot more often than I'd expect. Just finished off a six course trogg meal as I'm posting this, all at full health and without failing a nom once.

-Game hard crashed as I was moving into a deep water tile, may not have finished (or just finished) digesting a prey when it happened. But, uh.. huh. The save desynced, but it lasted much much longer than I expected. Desynced on floor 11, but I can't recall anything specific or special happening at this point. I did save a werewolf on this floor, but not yet.
Attachments
screenshot000.png
Last edited by Daelakama on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
Daelakama
Somewhat familiar

Postby Dragonvorelover135 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:25 am

Daelakama wrote:Something of minor note; I noticed a serpent fighting a something (bandit, but it wasn't in view). After a few turns, the serpent swallowed and digested the bandit (which I hadn't actually seen in the dungeon yet, either), both times appearing as bandit in the text at the top of the screen for the swallow and digestion. Out of curiosity, does everything here seem to be working as intended? Situation caught my eye due to the 'something' dialogue followed by my character knowing that the snake nommed a bandit, rather than just something.

Oh, also, the serpent may not've been taking damage from the bandit while damaging and killing off the bandit in turn.
Serpents are stealth to the player. And are stealthed until you search and reveal the serpent. When it is not visible it will mention it as "Something" So that function is normal.
Dragonvorelover135
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Daelakama » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 am

Dragonvorelover135 wrote:Serpents are stealth to the player. And are stealthed until you search and reveal the serpent. When it is not visible it will mention it as "Something" So that function is normal.

The serpent was visible and fighting something I couldn't see from where I was (hence the something; 'The serpent strikes something', etc). I was curious if the serpent swallowing the 'something' and the game telling you what they swallowed is intentional. Twas just a minor curiosity, as I said.

Also, does searching really reveal stealth? I wasn't aware~
Daelakama
Somewhat familiar

Postby hyenaofleisure » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:57 am

Sorry for not getting the hyena thing to you yet, I've been super busy with work. >_< Is it too late to PM you with something? Again, I apologize. I'm really really sorry.
hyenaofleisure
Been posting for a bit

Postby Dragonvorelover135 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Daelakama wrote:
Dragonvorelover135 wrote:Serpents are stealth to the player. And are stealthed until you search and reveal the serpent. When it is not visible it will mention it as "Something" So that function is normal.

The serpent was visible and fighting something I couldn't see from where I was (hence the something; 'The serpent strikes something', etc). I was curious if the serpent swallowing the 'something' and the game telling you what they swallowed is intentional. Twas just a minor curiosity, as I said.

Yes it does. That's how you avoid the traps or random holes. As well as finding hidden switches and such.
Dragonvorelover135
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Myconid32 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Daelakama wrote:Something of minor note; I noticed a serpent fighting a something (bandit, but it wasn't in view). After a few turns, the serpent swallowed and digested the bandit (which I hadn't actually seen in the dungeon yet, either), both times appearing as bandit in the text at the top of the screen for the swallow and digestion. Out of curiosity, does everything here seem to be working as intended? Situation caught my eye due to the 'something' dialogue followed by my character knowing that the snake nommed a bandit, rather than just something.

Prey are considered to be pulled into a predator's tile, and thus into view, when they are swallowed. Therefore it is intended for the prey to be identifiable when swallowed even if they were not visible previously.
Daelakama wrote:Oh, also, the serpent may not've been taking damage from the bandit while damaging and killing off the bandit in turn.

This is not intended. Thanks, I'll look into it.
Daelakama wrote:-Speaking of serpents! Are they meant to recloak just when their health gets low and they need to run, or should they return to invisibility after each battle/snack?

Serpents will recloak when fleeing; both Serpents and Black Panthers will also recloak if they lose track of the player for too long. The presence of digesting prey does not affect their cloaking.
Daelakama wrote:-The healing spores from a bloodwort stalk appear to reveal stealthed creatures while they are inside the cloud?

This is not strictly intended but gives a greater sense of security while healing, so I'm leaving it in for now. Thanks for the heads-up.
Daelakama wrote:-How is the centaur meant to function, as far as his territorial aspect goes?

The centaur was meant to only attack if the player moved within a certain radius of him. He no longer does this, so I presume it caused some sort of error in the past that I can't remember at the moment.
Thinking on it now, I would like to program him so that he is neutral and slow-moving until the player gets too close, at which point he will become hostile and fire arrows; then, when the player reaches a certain level of health, he will cease firing and quickly approach for a vore move. If the player leaves the centaur's effective range before that happens, the centaur will become neutral again. Maybe we can expect this behavior in 0.11.0?
Daelakama wrote:-I am successfully devouring the other denizens of the dungeon a lot more often than I'd expect. Just finished off a six course trogg meal as I'm posting this, all at full health and without failing a nom once.

That would be because I got the calculation wrong... oops. This has since been fixed but won't be reflected in the download until the next update.
Daelakama wrote:-Game hard crashed as I was moving into a deep water tile, may not have finished (or just finished) digesting a prey when it happened. But, uh.. huh. The save desynced, but it lasted much much longer than I expected. Desynced on floor 11, but I can't recall anything specific or special happening at this point. I did save a werewolf on this floor, but not yet.

I'll test player vore in deep water to see if there are any incongruities. Thanks for the update!
Daelakama wrote:

Actually (according to code and verified by testing with a +30 Ring of Awareness), Searching only assists in finding secrets related to tiles, such as traps, switches, and hidden doors. Invisible enemies remain invisible no matter what your Search skill is. Since the Serpent and Black Panther are stealthy and not actually invisible, I may revise the Search ability in the future to apply to them. If I do implement this successfully, you can expect other enemies with whom you can interact using Search (particularly in the Labyrinth area).
hyenaofleisure wrote:Sorry for not getting the hyena thing to you yet, I've been super busy with work. >_< Is it too late to PM you with something? Again, I apologize. I'm really really sorry.

You're fine, dude. The submission period is not nearly over yet (I have to add all of my monsters first). Feel free to PM me when you are ready.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Daelakama » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Myconid32 wrote:The centaur was meant to only attack if the player moved within a certain radius of him. He no longer does this, so I presume it caused some sort of error in the past that I can't remember at the moment.
Thinking on it now, I would like to program him so that he is neutral and slow-moving until the player gets too close, at which point he will become hostile and fire arrows; then, when the player reaches a certain level of health, he will cease firing and quickly approach for a vore move. If the player leaves the centaur's effective range before that happens, the centaur will become neutral again. Maybe we can expect this behavior in 0.11.0?

That actually sounds super neat! I look forward to the update if you manage to figure something out~

Also, thanks for the confirmation on searching and stealthed stuff. #2lazy2quotestuff

Labyrinth is theee... humanoid themed section, correct? The section that may need a lil help being populated, if I recall an earlier comment of yours correctly?~
Daelakama
Somewhat familiar

Postby Myconid32 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Daelakama wrote:Labyrinth is theee... humanoid themed section, correct? The section that may need a lil help being populated, if I recall an earlier comment of yours correctly?~

That's right. In addition to a greater focus on humanoid enemies, the Labyrinth contains some traps and trap-themed enemies, mostly based around using the limited graphics to trick the player into believing that an enemy is a completely different object. For example, the Wall Shadow is a slime that uses the same character as a wall until it attacks, identifiable only by its potentially odd position or rare movement (the idea being that it is impersonating a wall but melts into a slime when you draw near). If I can code greater interaction with the Search function, you can use Search to expose such enemies before they have the chance to attack.

It's worth noting that the central level of the Labyrinth has none of these elements, and is instead a city populated by a variety of troggs. It will contain the unique Golem ally and the game's first boss, the Troggmother.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Skilvrel » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:38 pm

I have a question regarding submitting self-made predators. The submission guidelines state that we're less limited, but just what are these limits on predators?

From what I've gathered thus far in the thread, spiders are one example of predators you'd rather not see, but what else is not wanted?

More specifically, which of the following are accepted/maybe accepted/rejected outright?

Beetles and other huge creepy crawlies?
Undead?
Golems and similar magical constructs?
Male marsupials with pouches?
Bellymaws?
Monstrous looking monsters?

Not that there's any guarantee I'll be making suggestions for anything like that, but it's nice to know just how... ah, exotic things can be.
Skilvrel
New to the forum

Postby Myconid32 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Skilvrel wrote:I have a question regarding submitting self-made predators. The submission guidelines state that we're less limited, but just what are these limits on predators?

From what I've gathered thus far in the thread, spiders are one example of predators you'd rather not see, but what else is not wanted?

More specifically, which of the following are accepted/maybe accepted/rejected outright?

Beetles and other huge creepy crawlies?
Undead?
Golems and similar magical constructs?
Male marsupials with pouches?
Bellymaws?
Monstrous looking monsters?

Not that there's any guarantee I'll be making suggestions for anything like that, but it's nice to know just how... ah, exotic things can be.

Short answer: Any of these can work if they are well-written and fit in the existing vore system. A vore move should be able to share digestion messages with the oral, anal, cock, absorption, or plant archetypes. The appearance of the enemy can vary greatly as long as it fits the setting. The better an entry is written, the more likely it is to be accepted regardless of my personal preference and the more likely it will earn a spot before other entries. Long answer is below.

I'm gonna go on about this for a while 'cause it's a good question.

Restrictions on monsters in the game are one part personal preference on my side, two parts commitment to game-feel, and two parts code limitation. That's not really clear in the guidelines since I'm just throwing lists of shit you should avoid, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to explain it better. First, the preference.

I've been giving less importance to my own preferences lately because, even though the game started out as something for my personal use, it's pretty damn obvious that it's not anymore. Y'all are presumably enjoying it or you wouldn't be here (thanks, by the way). That said, I have to test and write lines and all that good stuff, so I'm spending a lot more time around the content than anyone else and I want to not be repulsed by what I'm working on. Spiders fall into that bad category, partially because I am arachnophobic but also because of how I envision their relationship to vore. Some people look at a spider and think "It's got a mouth; it's got a stomach. It could eat me with its mouth and then I'm in the stomach! Yeah!" Meanwhile I'm thinking "Shit, this nasty clicking fucker wants to liquefy my insides and grgarahrgararhah...!"

Linking this answer back to your question, the issue is that things like spiders, creepy crawlies, and undead are tied to hard vore in my mind. This conflicts with the preferences I intended for the game, as well as the code, as I'll mention below.

I do not, however, want to refuse a submission purely based on my preferences. If you want to use an insectoid predator or something similar, you just have to make sure to write it really well. As an example we can take the game Milia Wars. I don't like female preds or prey, I don't like spiders, and I don't like unbirth... so when I see this big drider thing sticking my character into her womb, I predictably react with a good, hearty "FUCK!" But the weird thing is that it worked; the art style, the sound effects, the connection to the gameplay... all of these things combined to make something that was arousing in spite of my preferences. You can do the same thing with writing; it just has to be really fucking good. Now for game-feel.

I think I talked a little bit about this in the guidelines file, but the setting of the game is meant to be a sort of dark fantasy. It uses a bunch of classic fantasy tropes and creatures like goblins but makes them hungrier. A good example of what I'm going for is a setting like the PS3 game Dragon's Dogma, where there's a lot of big mythical fuckers that look like they can eat you (and some of them do). We can stretch the game-feel a little with creatures that don't usually show up in a fantasy setting, like the aforementioned kangaroos. The more such requests I receive, though, the fewer I am willing to keep, to the point that the ones that remain will be those which are well-written. Most of the things you mentioned, though, don't conflict much with the feel of the game, which is nice. The golem is already taken, though.

Another issue with certain submissions that threatens game-feel is the sense that a writer has too much invested in their entry's character. The game is a dungeon with mostly generic monsters, not is a museum for people's original characters. It's important for an enemy to be interesting but anonymous so that they don't distract too much from the game's setting. Granted, I am not entirely blameless since the default dungeon population includes cameos from video game characters, but you can do this yourself as long as you avoid particulars.

The biggest issue with some of the submissions is the limitation of the code. To a certain degree, I am able to tailor certain enemies to the user's request with things like special abilities or behaviors. However, the vore system itself is fairly limited; it supports full swallowing and gradual digestion, with five different types of swallowing (oral, anal, cock, absorption, plant), and any given enemy can have, at most, three such vore moves. Comparing this to the list above, we hit a bunch of walls. Hard vore is out because the player needs to remain intact inside of a predator according to the current system. Pouch vore can't be done as a different sort of vore move, but it CAN share digestion messages with oral vore if the final destination is the stomach. The more I am expected to fudge the code for an enemy, the less likely it is that I will do so. That's not to say you shouldn't try... if something is interesting enough, I might go for it, but that gets back into the preferences issue.

So to sum up, if you really want to submit something, you should do so regardless of what my preferences may or may not be. Just keep the setting in mind, stick to the established vore types, and write the fuck out of it. Make it amazing.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Tetrahedra » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Can you not eat enemies if you're playing on easy? I reached the mentioned floors on easy and didn't get corrupted. That aside, this game is super fun, I can't stop playing! Though I get frustrated and turn easy mode on a little too easily, haha.
Tetrahedra
Somewhat familiar

Postby Dragonvorelover135 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:15 pm

So how are things coming along with the next update? Hope that you are in good health Myconid and look forward to seeing the next update.
Dragonvorelover135
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Myconid32 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

My health is iffy, but the big issue is that I have very little time to myself lately. It will get better in two weeks or so.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby gravifan89 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 am

Tetrahedra wrote:Can you not eat enemies if you're playing on easy? I reached the mentioned floors on easy and didn't get corrupted. That aside, this game is super fun, I can't stop playing! Though I get frustrated and turn easy mode on a little too easily, haha.

Are you playing on the test builds or the "stable" build? The text builds are where you get corrupted and can nom things. Honestly, I don't like the part where you become a pred too much. I prefer being prey, but that's besides the point. The fact that it just happens no matter what on those floors is the issue I have with it.
Going on vacation from the 2nd of August (2012) to the 17th of August (2012). Will not be online during this time.
gravifan89
Intermediate Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game