Game Music?

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Game Music?

Postby momonari » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Question about game music:

I'm making a free game I don't plan on making a single buck out of.
So, can I use copyrighted music on a free game as long as I give credit ? or I can't use it anyway ?
momonari
Participator

Re: Game Music?

Postby Myconid32 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:26 pm

I'm not entirely sure, but I have heard of situations where people were unable to host a game on a download site because of a copyright claim related to the music. If you do use copyrighted music, be prepared to switch host sites and change the download link in case that happens. I think dropbox.com might not have that sort of restriction, but again I'm not sure, and it might not have enough space for the game you intend to make.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Assimilation » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:58 pm

A quick search on Google gives this page: http://www.teachingcopyright.org/handout/fair-use-faq which does not specifically talk about the use of copyrighted music in a game, but talks on a more broad level of "Fair Use". Remember that Fair Use is not a right, it's a legal defense, which means you only need to even invoke it if things actually get taken to court. Unless there are some forms of automatic detection, like on YouTube, you'll usually first receive cease-and-desist letters from the copyright holders. That's when you can talk directly to them (or their legal team) and try to explain your use or else work out some sort of deal or settlement. It's when you guys can't come to an agreement about it that things will actually be brought to court, and that's when you have to point at the Fair Use clause of copyright in order to convince the jury that your noncommercial work does not infringe upon the guarantee that the original creator has sufficient control over their work and that your work doesn't unfairly harm the value of their work through replacing its market potential.

Edit: I thought this link, which talks about using music in YouTube videos, is even more elucidating but is a longer read. http://fairusetube.org/guide-to-youtube ... s-fair-use
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby chibi-wolfy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 am

Failing all else, investing in some royalty free music is never a bad idea. Newgrounds is absolutely rife with it, for example, once you learn to filter the crap out of it.
chibi-wolfy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Bright » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

www.stockmusicsite.com/

Here's free stock music.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Preyforhire » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:47 pm

If you need any music written, I'm actually a composer and wouldn't mind helping out. I have composed full length orchestral and choral pieces. I think it would be fun to do something for a game.
Preyforhire
New to the forum

Postby r0nniel0ng » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:11 pm

No. Fair use might be applicable if it's educational, but even then, probably not unless it's a short clip and it has something to do with THAT clip (think a review of the music or someone pointing out composition techniques). Even then, music has it's own weird rules, especially when it comes to sampling.

But none of this is an issue really, because you can get lots of Creative Commons music for free. Just search Soundcloud or Newgrounds. Many pieces there are Creative Commons. You can search for tracks that fit that need easily. With CC music, often you need to attribute who the creator was or your only allowed to use it in non-commercial works.

I hope this helps.
r0nniel0ng
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby momonari » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks for all the answers guys, Now I'm more knowledgeable about music !! and got a few nice resources =)

@Preyforhire: About the writing of the music... I can't really play music, so I would need it recorded or in a MIDI file, if that's the case I'd love to have some music composed by you !!
momonari
Participator

Postby Preyforhire » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 pm

momonari wrote:Thanks for all the answers guys, Now I'm more knowledgeable about music !! and got a few nice resources =)

@Preyforhire: About the writing of the music... I can't really play music, so I would need it recorded or in a MIDI file, if that's the case I'd love to have some music composed by you !!

I can absolutely have them as MIDI or MP3. Let me know via PM what you have in mind!
Preyforhire
New to the forum

Return to Vore game