[Dev] Unreal Engine 4 (Now free to use!)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: [Dev] Unreal Engine 4

Postby NShayde » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Before you start this off, be sure to consider the amount of effort and time that is required to make whatever game you're planning on making. It's easy to say "Oh hey I wanna make a game", but you have to be severely dedicated and motivated to go through with it all the way; otherwise, the project will die and you'd be left with about four months worth of free-time dedicated to nothing.

Just a pointer; not meaning to scare you away from it, just realize what you're starting out. Good luck!
NShayde
Been posting for a bit

Postby WHTB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:27 pm

NShayde wrote:Before you start this off, be sure to consider the amount of effort and time that is required to make whatever game you're planning on making. It's easy to say "Oh hey I wanna make a game", but you have to be severely dedicated and motivated to go through with it all the way; otherwise, the project will die and you'd be left with about four months worth of free-time dedicated to nothing.

Just a pointer; not meaning to scare you away from it, just realize what you're starting out. Good luck!

Even without a completed game, four months of time spent learning UE4 is hardly a waste of time.

We don't use Unreal at the studio I work at, but as far as future career as a game dev goes, I think it's pretty important to learn it.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Kirah » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:39 pm

I'd spend some time getting to know UE4, but then I always want to make something full-fledged, which is impossible without any 3D Artists. I'll definitely be checking out the engine once I get a bit more spare time.
Kirah
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Sehnsucht » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Hey WHTB, good to see you knocking about. Are you Windows- or Linux-flavoured? I see 4.1 introduced Linux support, and I wondered if you were using that suite or the Windows suite.
Sehnsucht
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby WHTB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:03 pm

AndrewLondon wrote:Hey WHTB, good to see you knocking about. Are you Windows- or Linux-flavoured? I see 4.1 introduced Linux support, and I wondered if you were using that suite or the Windows suite.

I've been waiting for better working Linux editor support to switch to the Linux version. In the meantime I'm on Windows, though.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Sat May 17, 2014 8:27 pm

One can only dream. It's a very nice engine from what I know, with very modern features. A vore game with it would likely be of top quality :)
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Re: [Dev] Unreal Engine 4 (Now free to use!)

Postby WHTB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:28 pm

UE4 is now free to use! No more subscription fee!
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:02 pm

WHTB wrote:UE4 is now free to use! No more subscription fee!

I looked at a few articles to make sure that's correct, and it actually appears to be! Some even say that it was... open sourced 8O That still sounds to good to be true... especially since Epic Games never had a tradition to outsorce their software, like ID always did with the Quake engines. Really curious where this will go in any case :)
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby WHTB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm

MirceaKitsune wrote:
WHTB wrote:UE4 is now free to use! No more subscription fee!

I looked at a few articles to make sure that's correct, and it actually appears to be! Some even say that it was... open sourced 8O That still sounds to good to be true... especially since Epic Games never had a tradition to outsorce their software, like ID always did with the Quake engines. Really curious where this will go in any case :)

Well, it's not free in the same sense as Linux, but the source code is available to anyone who wants to have a look and modify to fit their needs. And there is still that 5% royalty on profits after the first $3k.

I suspect that 5% after $3k won't be an issue for the games developed here, though. It does have implications for big studios where 5% could mean millions of dollars, or worth at least one team member's salary's-worth. But for indies and small projects it's a steal.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby no_one_you_know » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Well shoot. Been thinking about a first-person game with some vore in it. Looks like with a free Unreal I got no excuse then.
no_one_you_know
Somewhat familiar

Postby WHTB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 pm

no_one_you_know wrote:Well shoot. Been thinking about a first-person game with some vore in it. Looks like with a free Unreal I got no excuse then.

No excuses! Go make some awesome! :D
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 pm

no_one_you_know wrote:Well shoot. Been thinking about a first-person game with some vore in it. Looks like with a free Unreal I got no excuse then.

Unreal 4 is pretty awesome, no doubt. In either case, I don't wish to seem like going against the point this thread... but I'd personally recommend other engines which are (nearly) as great as U4 but even more restriction free and open. Namely idTech 4 (the Doom 3 / Quake 4 engine) as well as the Tesseract engine (a Cube 2 Sauerbraten fork). Both are fully FOSS and have a lot of fantastic and modern features, with Tesseract even supporting realtime map editing. So just putting this out here in case anyone thinks they might be easier to use instead.

http://idtech4.com/

http://tesseract.gg/
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby WHTB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:16 pm

MirceaKitsune wrote:... other engines which are (nearly) as great as U4 ...

That's uh... Quite a stretch there. The feature set and ease of use of UE4 is staggering compared to either of those engines. Tesseract has easy level editing, but that's about it. id Tech 4 didn't even see much success outside of id itself and their engines have usability stuck in the Quake 1 era.

...but even more restriction free and open.

It's debatable as to whether or not the GPL requirements are more or less of a deal-breaker than the 5% after $3k royalties requirement.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:47 am

WHTB wrote:That's uh... Quite a stretch there. The feature set and ease of use of UE4 is staggering compared to either of those engines. Tesseract has easy level editing, but that's about it. id Tech 4 didn't even see much success outside of id itself and their engines have usability stuck in the Quake 1 era.

Well I haven't really tried Unreal SDK myself... I only used Unreal Editor to make UT99 and UT2004 maps back in my childhood :P Certainly it's top technology, alongside others like Cryengine. But yeah, I'm more of an open-source "fanatic" here, so I'm most familiar with and encourage engines in this area. I'd think the difference isn't that big however, since I can't think of what Unreal 4 can do so much better even if it's more modern.

As for idTech 4, it's a lot more different and improved than idTech <= 3. I actually have a thread on another forum highlighting the main advantages over Q3 engine clones, see the first post here. The best FOSS game created with it so far is a stealth FPS called The Dark Mod (CC-BY-SA-NC), which I've absolutely been in love with since I discovered it last year. Here is a video in case it inspires or in any way interests someone:

Spoiler: show

WHTB wrote:It's debatable as to whether or not the GPL requirements are more or less of a deal-breaker than the 5% after $3k royalties requirement.

GPL is my favorite license really. I love it for the same reason many people hate it: Once you release something under it, that something is open-source forever :) You can of course still sell it unless stated otherwise, or get donations for it off places like Patreon... as long as you distribute the source code.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby WHTB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:18 am

MirceaKitsune wrote:Well I haven't really tried Unreal SDK myself... I only used Unreal Editor to make UT99 and UT2004 maps back in my childhood :P Certainly it's top technology, alongside others like Cryengine. But yeah, I'm more of an open-source "fanatic" here, so I'm most familiar with and encourage engines in this area. I'd think the difference isn't that big however, since I can't think of what Unreal 4 can do so much better even if it's more modern.

You should probably try the engine before making that assertion, because the comparison seems absurd to me. These engines are nothing like each other at all in terms of capability and ease of use.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby WHTB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:26 am

Alright. I'm done arguing which engine is best. I'm just going to start linking actual UE4 content.

Here's a video of some of the new foliage features in 4.7, which just launched a couple of days ago.

And here is the start of the Paper2D intro tutorial series, for those who want to try making 2D games, while still keeping all the cool Blueprint scripting capabilities and cross-platformness of UE4:
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Big_D » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:36 am

looks interesting, I hope people will make some good stuff using it
Darkness entwines a foolish young heart but the brave will always ring true.......yeah right ;p
Patreon account https:https://www.patreon.com/Yubel
Big_D
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby thatmightystickman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 pm

From experience, I would cut out the idea of a huge game and all and focus on just the vore aspect right now. Then when/if you can get that working just fine, then move onto making it more of a game with features. Too much time on the latter can really drive you into a corner on the former.
thatmightystickman
Been posting for a bit

Postby WHTB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:15 pm

thatmightystickman wrote:From experience, I would cut out the idea of a huge game and all and focus on just the vore aspect right now. Then when/if you can get that working just fine, then move onto making it more of a game with features. Too much time on the latter can really drive you into a corner on the former.

No question about that. Overly ambitious design is the death if so many personal game projects.

I just feel that I need to maybe fight a misconception that UE4 is only for big AAA titles.

As an example of the kind of project scale I'm recommending, check out Tappy Chicken, a game that was put together in a small amount of time using only the Blueprints system (no C++):
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/shipp ... py-chicken
https://www.unrealengine.com/html5/

Also, it was made by a single person.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:25 pm

WHTB wrote:Alright. I'm done arguing which engine is best. I'm just going to start linking actual UE4 content.

Here's a video of some of the new foliage features in 4.7, which just launched a couple of days ago.

And here is the start of the Paper2D intro tutorial series, for those who want to try making 2D games, while still keeping all the cool Blueprint scripting capabilities and cross-platformness of UE4:

Thanks, it looks really awesome! That node editor is a lot like the nodes in Blender 3D, and certainly the way I think materials should be done. If there is or will be a native Linux version, I shall surely try it out as well.

But my point was that the ones I mentioned support most modern features expected from today's engines as well. Such as realtime lighting, normal mapping (bump and parallax), flexible entity definitions that can be scripted in detail (idTech 4 at least), GLSL shaders (like bloom / motion blur / depth of field), advanced materials (including reflection and refraction), etc. The only major thing they don't support are megatextures, which I'm actually not a fan of so I don't care as much. What would have really blown me out back was if UE4 supported realtime raytraced lighting instead traditional lighting... which is of course impossible since hardware that supports such is yet to exist.

Unreal SDK does have an obvious advantage however: There are windows and menus to create your game from, which is certainly a lot easier than programming! With those I mentioned, you must manually script the logics for your game, and use the map editor to place them on your levels. So while in both cases the games might end up as good looking and feature complete, there is way less effort in UDK.
MirceaKitsune
???

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game