The Monsterologist

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: The Monsterologist

Postby Maexam2 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 pm

How do you switch to the female character? When I put New Game, it begins straight with the male character.
Maexam2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby warbrand4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:26 pm

there is an option in the dialog, aka don't spam the button and you should see it, if you spam the button you will not.

Any way a note teh female character will be "hard mode" at least when it comes to the more bestial creatures like the slime as they will see you has a threat instead of something to "play with".aka instead of having a chance to escape on most monsters the female will not. also there will be different dialog with beasts based on that.

example later in the game you will run into a tribe of lizard girls, as a male they will capture you as tehy see you as week and you must prove your self to them via a trial by combat, while a female character will not be attacked by them but will still have to prove her worth by collecting something for them.

more immidiant, there will be an ant girl colony, that will see the female character is a "threat" and will try their best to capture and keep the character. while a male character will not be as much of a threat, though they will still try to capture just not keep.

ANY WAY HERE IS A LIST OF THINGS WE NEED TO DO BEFORE "PART ONE" IS RELEASED
1. improve items and events (plants and chickens add a boar so you can craft leather armor)
2. make the 3 planned monster girl encounters for the first part
3. make the ant girl colony (they will be your first trade area, gold will be useless)
4. make the camp area
5. story, work
6. make the first set of weapons and hidden items (last thing to be done)

FOR REFERENCE THE THING NEEDED FOR CC's REMAKE
1.story work
2. map work
3. encounter work

CURRENT VOTE TALLY

monsterologist: 1
cursed crown: 0
doesn't matter: 1 (counts to both)

note if it ends up being doesn't mater will work on both but progress will be slower.
just an RPG maker mapper,
warbrand4
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby mephistoVII » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Sorry people the link will be off for a few minutes due to a small problem, while doing the last fix I was already quite sleepy and forgot to fix the player initial location. The fix is already being uploaded so for anyone with the latest fix please delete it as it is pretty much useless.

EDIT:Fix Posted.
mephistoVII
Participator

Postby BaronBuffalo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:08 pm

I would like this to be worked on more than the CC rework myself. This is already looking good to me.
BaronBuffalo
Been posting for a bit

Postby Big_D » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:33 pm

any chance you could drop this onto one of the other download sites, mega's not play fair with me right now, which is odd cause it normaly nice to me

edit : nevermind got it now
Darkness entwines a foolish young heart but the brave will always ring true.......yeah right ;p
Patreon account https:https://www.patreon.com/Yubel
Big_D
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby acrylic » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Was quite fun. I hate the purple fish.
acrylic
Participator

Postby Lawrence Craft » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:28 pm

A solid and interesting demo so far.
But for which game I should vote, difficult...
It's a little bit ago that I played CC, and I enjoyed the short insight in monsterologist...
So I think that I will chose monsterologist.

Maexam2 wrote:How do you switch to the female character? When I put New Game, it begins straight with the male character.
At the selection in the initial dialog, actually it can't be overlooked...
If you don't see it, you're doing something wrong or you need some glasses... *cough*
With something wrong I mean the same as warbrand4 already mentioned.
warbrand4 wrote:there is an option in the dialog, aka don't spam the button and you should see it, if you spam the button you will not.
Spoiler: show
You should always keep the following sequence in mind:
1. Read carefully
2. UNDERSTAND what is written (that's the most important point!)
3. Follow the instructions you have read AND understand before
4. Play the game and be happy!
Lawrence Craft
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby warbrand4 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:45 pm

Beginning to think the monsterologist will win hands down, so might just end the voting here.

@big_D, will ask mephisto about that.

@acrylic, they will have a use later and you will hate them less (will not be food though)

lore notes (this is all subject to change at any time)

GENREAL

the world of this game is a simple one with medieval alchemist tech combined with futuristic tech. that being said, guns and magic "exist" in this world though both are more diluted then if they where in a world with just one or another. So don't expect any heavy machine guns or world ending spells to make an appearance. The world of the monsterologist, is class separated withe the crown and royalty having the higher end of the technological and magical stick while the average citizen is considered smart if they even know what a techno golem is.

lets take the main character for instance they are a working class citizen meaning not much have been given to them education wise, so they don't know what a golem is or even how to properly use a sword or weapon of any type. Though they have been trained to be observant and know what they should do. It should be noted they do not live in a dictatorial world its just people are trained in what they are good at, the player character is good at gathering info which sad to say there isn't much of a requirement for out side of the crowns alchemist teams, and as alex or alexis are not a royal they can not get the education or money needed to join of of these teams.

THE WORLD
the world is filled with hybrid monsters, caused by magic yet unknown, these monsters are rarer then gold in the land of the player characters origin and only the royals and crown know about them. The player character is part of a [censored for plot] (can't explain after this point with out giving away plot sorry)

TEH CROWN CURRENT
in the monsterologist the current crown consists of a king, queen and first daughter. the first daughter having taken heavy interest in the Zephyr arquipelago after [censored]. Teh crown basicly rules the land and tells where the money and labor will go with the king being incharge of the armies, the queen incharge of import and export and the first daughter incharge of exploration and research. while this isn't important for the story, the crown are the ones who have hired you.

TECHNOLOGY AND ALCHEMY
while 2 different things they tend to go hand in hand with the people of the kingdom, example you may see a boat that looks 16th century in stile but has a gas engine with a mage pump water supply. most the time the tech of both is combined to make the more advanced stuff like techno golems.

what is a techno golem, its basically a robotic drone with a runic brain, capable of things from simple watering of plants to full on political debate.. though techno golems of that type tend to get riddled with holes from guns and swords. any way techno golems where one of the first things sent to the Zephyr arquipelago for exploration but their handlers vanished leaving them to fall apart, this is important as you will get some nice supplies from them.

as for every day technology, things like plumbing may be modern, but you would be hard pressed to find a house with heating and air, at least not one that doesn't have that done with runes either fire or ice. And with that comes the kingdoms strengths teh crown has put more money into alchemic research then any other kingdom or empire, though know one truely knows why.
warbrand4
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby vore2412 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 pm

This game looks to have potential, I have a hard time catching fish...don't know if I'm supposed to rapid tap or hold down z... nicely done scene with the slime girl, is it possible to level up, I've only fought two chicken battles so far. Like how the battle isn't dependent on level or strength, but being observant of the clues and your surroundings.
vore2412
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Shadowlyger » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Hold z, but only when the fish isn't swimming away from you.
Shadowlyger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Murderkarp » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 am

This was an entertaining play. I would like to see more of it. But CC will always be number one in my heart.
Murderkarp
Somewhat familiar

Postby vintious » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Biased choice that I strictly prefer F/F but I'd rather see more of this.
Disagreeable
vintious
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby warbrand4 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:04 pm

some misc knowledge for you guys. note may contain spoilers even if they are small ones.

resource hostiles
resource hostiles are none respawning hostiles which drop needed supplies like the chickens. each one will be different and will have a different focus example the chicken drops feathers which will be used to make arrows later on. here is a list of the first 4 planned resource hostiles.

chicken
info: unlike normal chickens the chickens of the Zephyr arquipelago seem to be more reptilian the avian, which is understandable seeing as they do have a common ancestor, though do to the reptilian bits these chickens will chose fight instead of flight.
drops: chicken meat, and feathers.
use: chicken meat is food, feathers will be used for arrows later in the game.

jellies
info: your basic blob of living slime, these things come in 2 colors blue which are not dangerous and infact can be harvested with out much worry, and green which are highly acidic. While neither are hostile both are drawn to warm liquids which guess what the human body contains warm liquids.
drops: jelly
use: the jelly is used to power a lantern for dark areas

boars
info: wild hogs exist all over the Zephyr arquipelago well not all over they are in isolated pockets, they are not out wardly hostile to the player... unless the player gets to close.
drops: boar meat and boar leather
use: teh meat is food the leather is used to make light armors

giant scorpions
info: about 3 feet long and a 2 feet tall these giant scorpions are passive in nature that is until you attack them. scorpions are the most dangerous of the resource hostile as they are the only armored one.
drops: scorpion shell, scorpion eggs(rare)
use: the shell is used to make heavy armors, the eggs are used for [classified]

Armor types
the armors the player can use in this game will be split into three types, light, heavy, and modern. light armors do not protect against much but tehy also do not mess with your AGI, heavy armors protect against most attacks but will almost halve your AGI. modern armors are rare and are things like your running shoes, they very in use and can usually be found in [classified].

combat
unlike other games combat in the monsterologist has 2 forms direct combat, and evented combat. direct combat is things like the fight with the chickens, your standard rpg combat. while evented combat is rarer and more complex requireing you to use your knowledge of the creature at hand and the environment to win the battle, event combat rarely involves direct fighting.

weapons
unlike most rpg maker games in which the player is limited to one weapon type the monsterologist is not, you can use anything from an ax to a gun and even a magic wand(if you can find one). thing is weapons are rare at best and you will be limited on what you can carry, that being said ranged weapons will be rarer and hard to use as they either require mana, arrows, or bullets. That being said ranged weapons are teh strongest and fastest weapons in the game, despite the fact that it takes some work to use them.

here is a list of weapon types.
melee light: things like shovels, picaxes, and fighting gloves, not meant for combat but will work.
melee heavy: things like knifes, swords, and axes. aka true weapons.
ranged light: your bow and arrows, this will be gained from [censored]
ranged heavy: the gun a .22 pistol found in [censored]
alchemic light: things like wands and books, they do not have much attack, but they allow use of spells which can deal a lot of damage
alchemic heavy: rarer then rare, these items are generally one time use or a passive effect, in fact you already have 4 of them in the demo.
warbrand4
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby NekoYuki » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:13 pm

I just want to say i LOVEd this game, not just from a gameplay aspect but from a game maker aspect. You have some fantastic resources in your folders and the minigames were great. If you want any help making please let me know, as i'd also love to learn from you as well
Ask to see my various OC and world setting
NekoYuki
???

Postby Monopolus » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:21 am

I'd really want to ask if you could update the demo with a version number for each update to it, so we can know which changes were fixed.

I've only started this game but I love the interface and the different combat system, I feel this game really has some potential. :)
Monopolus
???

Postby Big_D » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:22 pm

oh bugger forgot to vote, Monsterologist first please, also I like the story line for Cursed Crown make a lot more sense
Darkness entwines a foolish young heart but the brave will always ring true.......yeah right ;p
Patreon account https:https://www.patreon.com/Yubel
Big_D
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby warbrand4 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:08 pm

yeah, the monsterologist won, hand down on that vote, even if only a few voted CC only got one vote.

Any way here is the plan, we will work on the monsterologist until the first chapter of the story is done, this will more then likely be split into 4 parts with minor bug fixes in between. once that is done we will start on the first chapter of CC and finish taht with a story rewrite (literally all that is left of the CC remake is story and event reworks)

Though right now, even though me and mephisto can do sprites we need some one for the art, mephisto can make some but with out another person we will have slow going..

any one looking for the part we need a sprite sheet based on this http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... vern_0.PNG we need both a sprite sheet and a pixel version similar to the slime.

If any one in interested, please PM me or mephisto. Also a note we have no way to pay but will allow you to have some impute on the game, and your name will be in the credits.
warbrand4
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby USful » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Slime Girl

Is there a method to defeat/win the scene? or is that the end?
USful
Somewhat familiar

Postby TheAllSeeingEye » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:49 am

USful wrote:Slime Girl

Is there a method to defeat/win the scene? or is that the end?

Either you lose to her or escape. & you only have 1 chance to escape if you're caught by the looks of it...
EXPLORE ALL THE BELLIES!!!
TheAllSeeingEye
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby warbrand4 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 am

yeah, the player will have one chance to escape if captured.

Though that isn't always the case, right now only the slime exists so there is no way to show this, but choosing male or female will actually impact the game "difficulty" this is because most intelligent monsters will see a male character as something to attempt to claim first, food second. while most the monsters will see the female player as a threat and something to be disposed with, there will of course be exceptions to this rule. though I can't/don't want to give any more info then that.
warbrand4
Advanced Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game