Working on a Text Game

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Working on a Text Game

Postby Zixer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:39 pm

No update today. Probably not for a while, either; I'm going to be focusing on content and whatnot, so I'll be trying to put in a good bit before I update. Am also pretty burnt out on any ideas whatsoever, but that's neither here nor there.

On dev news, the snake bug was fixed, and you can now use "release x" to release a specific entity instead of doing it all at once. This does mean that doing other things with trapped prey, such as moving them to different areas within yourself, or feeding them to others, is perfectly feasible and indeed the next step in the "vore" part of the engine-ish-thing, but that will come after a little more content. Maybe once I have something like a quest, or something.

Will keep y'all updated.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:17 pm

minor balance issue. The struggle is not a combat command, but when you successfully escape you often get insta attacked or nommed again. If nommed I'm usually seeing a double digestion damage that takes almost all health away, and quite often I struggle, escape, only to be instantly killed as my other half gets eaten.

also encountered a few script errors, but need to record and document exactly how they are replicable. One seems to be tied to "looking at" an uneaten wolf, where it says:

A fierce wolf! He looks angry!
Error running script: Error compiling expression 'ListCount(GetChildren(G_Wolf_Gut)) > 0': FunctionCallElement: Could find not function 'GetChildren(Element)'

But I examined a wolf I cv'd and it simply said that he was in my balls. I think the game is treating the wolf like a giant snake and is searching to see if it has prey in its belly.

I also think it'd be cool if you can be "intimate" with your extra player and if you cv something you could transfer them into your partner's ass~
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Snowytiggy wrote:minor balance issue. The struggle is not a combat command, but when you successfully escape you often get insta attacked or nommed again. If nommed I'm usually seeing a double digestion damage that takes almost all health away, and quite often I struggle, escape, only to be instantly killed as my other half gets eaten.

also encountered a few script errors, but need to record and document exactly how they are replicable. One seems to be tied to "looking at" an uneaten wolf, where it says:

A fierce wolf! He looks angry!
Error running script: Error compiling expression 'ListCount(GetChildren(G_Wolf_Gut)) > 0': FunctionCallElement: Could find not function 'GetChildren(Element)'

But I examined a wolf I cv'd and it simply said that he was in my balls. I think the game is treating the wolf like a giant snake and is searching to see if it has prey in its belly.

I also think it'd be cool if you can be "intimate" with your extra player and if you cv something you could transfer them into your partner's ass~

Yeah, struggle really should actually be a combat command, but right now there's something...fucky with the Quest RNG functions. I have the sneaking suspicion it's not actually randomizing a number, which among many other things mean that if you call it rapidly you're likely to get the same result. Besides that, there's an odd bug I need to put in some checks for where being eaten acts like a combat turn, which is causing a lot of your specific problem.

The function to look at an enemy near you and an enemy in you is completely different as you are ~secretly~ looking at entirely different objects; any creature you look at has the added description of whether or not it's eaten something. This used to only be true for the snake, but really since everything is capable of eating people they'll all have that description. It's odd that this bug lasted so long, but I guess since wolves don't have the auto eating scripts snakes do it comes up less often.

As for the last bit, that's the plan. A lot of the vore transfer scenes will be pretty... intimate.

Edit: wait that error message makes no sense; it's the exact same function as with the snake and the snake works. What's your quest version? How many times have you run into this?

Edit 2: ...alright, after looking through the code, I don't have the slightest idea why the snake code ever worked at all. Bug is fixed though, thanks.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:50 am

also, I'd recommend as an aside when you post updates to not only post it in a message, but to edit the OP with the newest version. It's easier for users to come in and find the newest release on the first post rather than sifting through the thread
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Snowytiggy wrote:also, I'd recommend as an aside when you post updates to not only post it in a message, but to edit the OP with the newest version. It's easier for users to come in and find the newest release on the first post rather than sifting through the thread

Joke's on you; I've been doing that since the beginning.

Admittedly a changelog might help though.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Whereaminow27 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Zixer wrote:No update today. Probably not for a while, either; I'm going to be focusing on content and whatnot, so I'll be trying to put in a good bit before I update. Am also pretty burnt out on any ideas whatsoever, but that's neither here nor there.

On dev news, the snake bug was fixed, and you can now use "release x" to release a specific entity instead of doing it all at once. This does mean that doing other things with trapped prey, such as moving them to different areas within yourself, or feeding them to others, is perfectly feasible and indeed the next step in the "vore" part of the engine-ish-thing, but that will come after a little more content. Maybe once I have something like a quest, or something.

Will keep y'all updated.

Does this moving to different parts, mean that like if you breast vore something, breasts will get bigger, etc with everything else? or Will this be a Soon to be Feature? I mean way on down the line, or never will be part of game?
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zixer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Whereaminow27 wrote:Does this moving to different parts, mean that like if you breast vore something, breasts will get bigger, etc with everything else? or Will this be a Soon to be Feature? I mean way on down the line, or never will be part of game?

....Ahhh shoot I just realized I've forgotten something. When I put in the new vore types I completely forgot to put in scripts to update the player character descriptions for things like BV or CV. I can't remember now if it just treats them like they're in the stomach or if it just ignores them.

Also, what do you mean? The description thing I mentioned, where if a player character breast vores someone, their breast will appear huge? Or after the vore/digestion that part will grow a bit?

If it's the first, I meant to add it earlier and you should see it soon. If the second, I do intend to add it down the line. Physical changes based on what you vore has been something I've gone back and forth on a lot- scaling between things like what I've just mentioned, to a more "You are what you eat" mentality where you gain features from eating particular things. I'm not so sure on the second bit, it really depends on where I want to take the focus of the game. If I wanted to have a game focused on a vore system like that, I'd probably be making a roguelike instead of a text adventure.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby uents » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:53 pm

Not sure if its just the quest launcher but is there anyway to speed up or get rid of the recap when you load a game?
uents
Somewhat familiar

Postby Firon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:55 pm

uents wrote:Not sure if its just the quest launcher but is there anyway to speed up or get rid of the recap when you load a game?

that is the very problem I was trying to mention eariler in the thread that I didn't want to get when upgrading my Quest client....it's buggy as hell

loading a in progress game is hell when there's a lot to load when using quest 5.5.1....however 5.4.1 loads instantly....but this game doesn't support it due to an ASL error
Firon
---

Postby Snowytiggy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am

well, I wouldn't mind gaining abilities, but I'd rather think the system of where you devour and digest your prey should determine a change. It's like an exp system, where the first skill learned would be to control your digestion. that way you could make the prey in whatever chamber inside of you have a button to click to digest, or just to give one digestion attack to a certain chamber of prey. that way you can stockpile a few snacks and only gurgle as much as you need to regain hp or gain exp, and still have the option to transfer out prey in naughty ways, and even use food you've caught as currency for predatory shop and innkeepers. Also I like the idea of if you breast vore, unbirth, or cv the respective genitalia grows a bit in size for each prey digested within, anal vore should have an absorb option as well as clenching, and if you absorb it increases your overall body size and makes your hips and rump wider, and oral digesting simply makes you grow larger, which translates to increased vore effectiveness, higher chances to grapple and higher resistances/strength.
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Snowytiggy wrote:well, I wouldn't mind gaining abilities, but I'd rather think the system of where you devour and digest your prey should determine a change. It's like an exp system, where the first skill learned would be to control your digestion. that way you could make the prey in whatever chamber inside of you have a button to click to digest, or just to give one digestion attack to a certain chamber of prey. that way you can stockpile a few snacks and only gurgle as much as you need to regain hp or gain exp, and still have the option to transfer out prey in naughty ways, and even use food you've caught as currency for predatory shop and innkeepers. Also I like the idea of if you breast vore, unbirth, or cv the respective genitalia grows a bit in size for each prey digested within, anal vore should have an absorb option as well as clenching, and if you absorb it increases your overall body size and makes your hips and rump wider, and oral digesting simply makes you grow larger, which translates to increased vore effectiveness, higher chances to grapple and higher resistances/strength.

A lot of this is indeed planned! You will gain vore abilities as you eat things; I'm not sure if I'm going to put enough focus on the combat system to have more attack abilities. Probably will. If so, debating whether or not to have separate exp and vore exp systems. Each way you vore things will eventually have its own mode of digestion, right now the code only allows the stomach to do this, but later on the game will allow all of them, either innately or learned through eating enemies. Selective digestion would be a vore skill. Also later will be the ability to transfer prey from one part/character to another, and that will be something you have from the start of the game, but that's not till later on in development.

I had not considered prey as currency and that sounds like a really good idea and I'd like to put that in! I was planning (and still plan) to put in an NPC that will pay you bounties for bringing certain species of wildlife to them alive; I may reserve that for rare or hard to beat monsters and have the rest usable as currency, in some cases. Not every innkeep or salesman is going to appreciate you walking in and puking up a pack of wild animals in their place of business!

I do plan on having your general body shape change as you eat things. An idea occurs to me wherein there's a vore exp level of each vore method, which gives you abilities based on that level. Your body shape would change to match your abilities in that area; instead of getting a level up message for normal exp, your character might note that their throat muscles feel stronger, their breasts have grown, or their stomach feels tougher, etc. This does mean there's a separate line of development to track per character per vore method, but that's just number tracking and making sure all the right text is in all the right places, all the time.

Onto dev news, fixed some bugs, and started adding more NPCs. Dunno how many I'll put in before I feel like an update. Most now are female preds, so I suppose I'll have to put in some male preds/various prey to balance things out a bit.

uents wrote:Not sure if its just the quest launcher but is there anyway to speed up or get rid of the recap when you load a game?

Not entirely sure. Honestly everything about loading/starting a game is kinda on the backburner now until I have a game that takes longer than like 5 minutes to see all the content of. I'll look at it once I get concerned about game length.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 pm

more male preds and prey would be greatly appreciated. Also the possibility of toggles. I'm mature enough to just kinda ignore or skip past some of the scenes I'm not super fond of without bitching about them, but I do prefer M/M greatly over anything F/?. I'm also okay with M/F noms because they're just being food, but yeah. I'm glad to see any game with a focus on being the predator, as I rarely feel preyish.
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:36 am

nom :gulp:
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Skeiron » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Just discovered this, looks nice so far ^^
"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"Remember that life is better than it seems"
Skeiron
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Akyana » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Zixer wrote:I do plan on having your general body shape change as you eat things. An idea occurs to me wherein there's a vore exp level of each vore method, which gives you abilities based on that level. Your body shape would change to match your abilities in that area; instead of getting a level up message for normal exp, your character might note that their throat muscles feel stronger, their breasts have grown, or their stomach feels tougher, etc. This does mean there's a separate line of development to track per character per vore method, but that's just number tracking and making sure all the right text is in all the right places, all the time.

If you're going to add something that changes the character, could you please include a mechanic to change them back? I like to keep my characters pure to a degree. When I play a Equine, I don't want to change into a rabbit because I ate to many.

Though a rare mechanic that I don't see often is a store that does specific changes. Like adding or removing a sexual organ, or changing a specific body part to a specific species type. Could allow for custom species over the default starting ones.
Akyana
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Zixer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Akyana wrote:
Zixer wrote:I do plan on having your general body shape change as you eat things. An idea occurs to me wherein there's a vore exp level of each vore method, which gives you abilities based on that level. Your body shape would change to match your abilities in that area; instead of getting a level up message for normal exp, your character might note that their throat muscles feel stronger, their breasts have grown, or their stomach feels tougher, etc. This does mean there's a separate line of development to track per character per vore method, but that's just number tracking and making sure all the right text is in all the right places, all the time.

If you're going to add something that changes the character, could you please include a mechanic to change them back? I like to keep my characters pure to a degree. When I play a Equine, I don't want to change into a rabbit because I ate to many.

Though a rare mechanic that I don't see often is a store that does specific changes. Like adding or removing a sexual organ, or changing a specific body part to a specific species type. Could allow for custom species over the default starting ones.

Yes! Full blown transformations are rare, and they won't usually come from what you eat. Maybe like one or two creatures will be able to do that? Maybe none. You might get some very minor transformations from your diet. In any case, there will be an available item to "reset" your species, and maybe some to only revert specific aspects if you find something you like.

In update news, I've been adding a couple of NPC's, and my computer is trying to break itself but that's unimportant! The NPC's I'm focusing on now are a female NPC that you don't have any vore scenes with (for now), and a male pred/prey npc. For the current iteration of the second, he'll have small scenes and inconsequential roles, but I might later have him show up in more locations as a recurring character. There's certainly a lot I can do with him. Both of these NPCs involve only OV/AV.

Next on the NPC list is dragons, maybe? Iunno. Probably. With some CV/UB primarily but also probably with OV/AV since I don't think I can get away with including these without that.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Another minor progress update for y'all's.

Finished a slew of scenes with a gambling ferret npc. OV/AV, pred/prey. You'll probably be able to guess what his deal is. Might make him show up in more/every town(s), with a different "game" for you to play each time. Programming that was annoying. Big slew of xml unto himself.

Dunno when I'm getting to the female NPC I mentioned last time. She's more story than sex scenes, but not much story, and nothing relevant to the overall game. Dragons are still on the table. (Fucking.)
Meanwhile, may have figured at least one benefit to sleeping in a proper bed. Nothing mechanical yet, and there will be more benefits later, but maybe in the next update, if your characters are sleeping peacefully, they'll have the opportunity to dream. Dreams mean more (and possibly weirder!) scenes. Also, I've spontaneously decided that the boat at the beginning is boring, and will give it some flavor text.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:55 am

Zixer wrote:Another minor progress update for y'all's.

Finished a slew of scenes with a gambling ferret npc. OV/AV, pred/prey. You'll probably be able to guess what his deal is. Might make him show up in more/every town(s), with a different "game" for you to play each time. Programming that was annoying. Big slew of xml unto himself.

Dunno when I'm getting to the female NPC I mentioned last time. She's more story than sex scenes, but not much story, and nothing relevant to the overall game. Dragons are still on the table. (Fucking.)
Meanwhile, may have figured at least one benefit to sleeping in a proper bed. Nothing mechanical yet, and there will be more benefits later, but maybe in the next update, if your characters are sleeping peacefully, they'll have the opportunity to dream. Dreams mean more (and possibly weirder!) scenes. Also, I've spontaneously decided that the boat at the beginning is boring, and will give it some flavor text.

so, is this all stuff that's coming into effect next release, but not yet released?
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:06 am

Snowytiggy wrote:
Zixer wrote:Another minor progress update for y'all's.

so, is this all stuff that's coming into effect next release, but not yet released?

Yeah. Right now changes are too small/broken to release. Actual update will have a download link.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 pm

season's bumpings
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game