Working on a Text Game

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Working on a Text Game

Postby Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:55 am

I liked it better when you could just imagine your characters as any species you wanted them to be.
A link to a fun game I love playing: http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

Be sure to say that ParaYumi refered you when you register for it. That's me.
Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus
???

Postby RumiBelly » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:46 am

I must agree with Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus, epecially seeing as it has no effect appearant on gameplay to choose a different species.
RumiBelly
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:47 am

Zhao wrote:I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but while the wolf continues to digest you in it's stomach, the huge snake does not.
It eats you, digests once, and then their are no other digest attacks, giving you infinite time to struggle. I am using the newest version of Quest.

That is odd, I'll check it out.

Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus wrote:I liked it better when you could just imagine your characters as any species you wanted them to be.

Ehh, yeah, you know what, for how the game is now, I can remove that and/or just let you make up a species. Update possibly this afternoon.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:34 am

um, I don't know if I'm dumb but the switch and release commands aren't working, nor is the attack command.
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:34 am

nevermind, I was being dumb
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Snowytiggy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 am

is there/will there be any sort of leveling at all? I know this game is early, but what are your intentions with this? I like pred based games~

Okay, after playing it a bit I have a few suggestions. I'd definately like to see it be turn based and less chaotic. the whole encounters depend on luck to get the grab and meeting a snake is just a gameover if your party is separated. plus having to use both hands on the keyboard to hit the command keys and racing against the clock kinda defeat the purpose of the fetish material. The game should be designed to be playable one-handed, if you understand my meaning.
Snowytiggy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Zixer wrote:
Zhao wrote:I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but while the wolf continues to digest you in it's stomach, the huge snake does not.
It eats you, digests once, and then their are no other digest attacks, giving you infinite time to struggle. I am using the newest version of Quest.

That is odd, I'll check it out.

Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus wrote:I liked it better when you could just imagine your characters as any species you wanted them to be.

Ehh, yeah, you know what, for how the game is now, I can remove that and/or just let you make up a species. Update possibly this afternoon.

Thanks. ^_^
A link to a fun game I love playing: http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

Be sure to say that ParaYumi refered you when you register for it. That's me.
Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus
???

Postby Zixer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Quick update!

https://mega.co.nz/#!dF8UWTrS!t8gmvcnrmQMY1WYUXxTM-BPzxXYAfW-00F0nbwPixjg

Some bug fixes, species format has been changed, Essa's description changes for EVENTS. Will get into more of this later, but won't update again till like monday if y'all find bugs or anything.

Snowytiggy wrote:is there/will there be any sort of leveling at all? I know this game is early, but what are your intentions with this? I like pred based games~

Okay, after playing it a bit I have a few suggestions. I'd definately like to see it be turn based and less chaotic. the whole encounters depend on luck to get the grab and meeting a snake is just a gameover if your party is separated. plus having to use both hands on the keyboard to hit the command keys and racing against the clock kinda defeat the purpose of the fetish material. The game should be designed to be playable one-handed, if you understand my meaning.

I'll keep this in mind, but right now I'll be focusing more on content than the engine. Spent a huge amount of time on the engine already and now I need to focus on more interesting things!

But, the combat is a work-in-progress, and I'll be making it better as time goes by.

Also, yes. eventually there will be leveling. Eventually; like I said, focusing on content now.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby AeroBlaze » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Why do I feel like there will be a time and I go and eat my Partner and then sleep for the night to forget to cough them up and end up with a flat belly..
AeroBlaze
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:30 pm

Changed my mind, I will be reworking combat soonish. Had a decent idea on the toilet today so y'all should see it Monday evening.

What I'm really going for in combat is trying to keep the combat interface as close to the game interface as possible- in the first iteration, some of you may remember that there was no combat interface. The problem with that one was that I was a tad too dedicated to keeping it in real time and that was messy and spamish. On the other extreme, there's the option of pure menu-based combat, where fights happen in turns, and you have a strict set of actions you're allowed to take.

In my ideal, you interact with an enemy the same way you'd interact with anyone else, only you'd probably be more violent. I'd like to not have menus, and I'd like the full range of your normal actions to be available to you. I think I can reach a pretty good area here with the update y'all will see next week.

I'm also going to change the scene with Essa, to be less... bipolar and angry, I guess. I wrote it all in a rush and that was the fastest way into a vore scene at the time.

You'll also be able to ask her about a free room for the night, instead of the scene triggering automatically when you don't have money. This will be true of all future inns in the game. Somewhere down the line I'll put in some bonus for sleeping in a regular room or a detriment for sleeping in an impromteau "room" (I imagine it must be quite cramped) so, while getting a vore scene is great, there's also some benefit to actually spending money on a room.

Also, since it's been brought up a lot now, I'm going to go ahead and put in player/player digestion. I was going to leave it as is until I got to adding in learnable vore skills, one of which would be the ability to turn off your stomach acids for pain-free character toting, but it seems a lot of you just want to leap straight into your characters eating each other so ok.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 pm

New Update!

https://mega.co.nz/#!xVcFECLa!et5BItQfNx_3L6F_SrRP7XdnNCn3cTPnLqaULXIFLds

Combat is now in a much clearer and simpler format. You can take whatever actions during combat that you normally could, but the ones you want to know about are Attack, Grab, and whatever eating commands you're used to. Nothing works on a timer anymore. "Wait" triggers a turn skip.

Digestion was added between the two player characters so y'all are fully capable of murdering each other on the starting boat, just like you wanted.

Essa's dialog is now pretty different. She won't overreact if you forget you don't have money for a room. You can now ask her about a free night (or a free room, or just "a free") to get the scene with her.

Some wait statements were added to Shara's dialog to make it flow better.

Up Next:
Any one or more of the following:
More vore types
More vore functionality (feed x to y, etc)
More NPC's/Places/Events

Some odd bugs, for your enjoyment:
Spoiler: show
*If both characters are in Essa's breasts, and she releases them, the player would be dropped on the Inn floor, and the companion would be launched right out the door and into the street.
*There's a null object used to store dead things. This object is also used as a placeholder for where other objects could be, but aren't. Like stomachs for objects that don't have stomachs defined. Essa doesn't have a stomach defined. When something died, it got sent straight to Essa's stomach, where she would digest for eternity. Funny, but annoying amount of message spam.

Edit: Completely meant to add in a script for what would happen if you slept with something in your stomach. Now the game just assumes your acids sleep when you do. Will probably fix that next update (maybe tomorrow night?)
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby AeroBlaze » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:41 am

Soooo..I digested my Partner and went to bed for the night..And Essa happened to pop out another of my Partner on the floor the next morning....Which I then also ate..
AeroBlaze
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:06 am

AeroBlaze wrote:Soooo..I digested my Partner and went to bed for the night..And Essa happened to pop out another of my Partner on the floor the next morning....Which I then also ate..

Ha.

I'll have it fixed by tonight. Did you sleep using an actual room or using the scene with Essa?
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby DB1224 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:28 am

If you add another town, could you add a innkeeper which can have a vore scene similar to the 'bipolar' Essa ? (not obligatory BV)
And could you add something to know how many gold we are left ? (Except if it's already in game and I don't find the text line...)

And, it's a good job !
Legally it's questionable.
Morally it's disgusting.
Personally I love it.
DB1224
Participator

Postby AeroBlaze » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm

I slept in the room.
AeroBlaze
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:24 pm

DB1224 wrote:If you add another town, could you add a innkeeper which can have a vore scene similar to the 'bipolar' Essa ? (not obligatory BV)
And could you add something to know how many gold we are left ? (Except if it's already in game and I don't find the text line...)

And, it's a good job !

Thanks!

That is the plan, yes; each Innkeeper in the game will have a (ideally unique) "free" room available. There will later be benefits to sleeping in an actual room to balance this out. Some innkeepers will certainly be unhappy with the player's squatting. Essa was changed because in practicality she went back and forth between cheerful and welcoming to p upset and irrational. I had a choice between changing the scene, changing her default personality, or fleshing out her mood changes a bit more and y'all got the easiest option.

I'll see what can be done about the gold. It's easy enough to put the functionality in, but I'd like to find the easiest way for the player to find it.

AeroBlaze wrote:I slept in the room.

Strange. I think this is due to the code I put in to check if the player was in the companion who was in essa. Should be fixed today.

Edit: Ha, yeah, I found it. The code first checks to see if the companion is in Essa, then completely disregards that check and assumes it is anyway.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Hurg, update.

https://mega.co.nz/#!gYNVjbzb!ObdMfUrlBp4hKz4J6mWBuXP6TIQI-kUU13fVU-R1qsg

Added several infuriating things to the engine. These include basic UB, CV, and BV; currently only oral vore (or anal followed by clenching) will actually trigger digestion. Furthermore, the player can now ~*look within themselves*~ and see all the things they're eating, which means soon you'll be able to perform actions on them too, but not too soon, because that was the most annoying bit of the bunch to program. There's probably bugs I haven't found; do let me know if you find any!

Fixed the bug with Essa, did not do that scripting I mentioned. Gold is now displayed as a stat; might add player healths up there but facing some bugs on that, remember that you can look at a player character to see remaining health and this is not a combat action.

There's a lot of failure messages and such I need to format to make more sense. I got really lazy with a lot of it.

Next time, though, actual content. Hopefully. Might get started on the new town/area. Had an idea for Essa if you leave something behind in the "free room" but I'm also trying to broaden my scope outside of the events I have currently so you might see it, you might not.

I'll probably also do some text formatting so that important events, such as combat deaths or forced switching, stand out. Surprised by how often they seem to be passed by in the bountiful fountain of text.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Mab17 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:51 pm

FYI, when you carry around a snake in your 'inventory', it shows up as "wolf".
If you already knew that, ignore me.
Mab17
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Mab17 wrote:FYI, when you carry around a snake in your 'inventory', it shows up as "wolf".
If you already knew that, ignore me.

No, that's intentional. The snake actually identifies as a wolf; it's a wolf trapped in a snake's body.

Wait no that appears to be an actual wolf in there. Ahahahahaaaaa I can't believe I missed that bug aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks for pointing that out. Will fix it in the next update.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Mab17 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:04 pm

No prob. Keep up the good work!
Mab17
Somewhat familiar

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game