Multiplayer text game

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Multiplayer text game

Postby PuntoPenny » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:40 pm

hi everyone :D
I was talking with a friend of mine, we like snakes and we talked about the fact we will like a multiplayer game we can do.
I'd like for an easy game, maybe a turn based text game where one play a snake and the other play.......the prey
and any turn, any player can do an action, the prey can do something move, hide, struggle, bite, climb, etc, and the snake can do the same thing but also strike, wrap (and then squeeze), bite, eat, inject poison, shoot poison, or something else.
then you can chose to eat the prey alive, squeeze him to death and then eat, kill with poison, or anything else.

I don't think a game like this already exist, so I'd like to ask if someone is able to do something like that (I saw a lot of vore text game like that on internet, but not with multiplayer) and if he/she can teach me how to do something like this
PuntoPenny
Somewhat familiar

Re: Multiplayer text game

Postby McFly » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Personally, I would have no idea of how to make that sort of thing, but it certainly sounds like a fun idea. Good luck.
McFly
New to the forum

Postby Squidpad » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:35 pm

If someone were to type out dialouge lines for me, I could whip up a text game that runs in the console with an AI/ local multiplayer in about an hour. I have no clue how to include wireless multiplayer.

It would also be super easy to add more stuff (more actions, more pred/prey races/sexes), assuming people write lines for me (I hate writing).
Squidpad
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jswrighting » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:23 am

The most difficult about this is networking. pretty much everything else would be easy if you made an AI player, but as soon as you do multiplayer integration you have to start handling packets, making sure connections aren't dropped, making sure the game is synced on both ends, etc.. you also have to make sure that if you are doing p2p that you have the dominant computer keeping track of both itself and the client computer.
Once you've solved this then you can try to make the game, but to be fair, you might want to use someone else's stripped down MUD engine and disable most of the features.
-------------
W O O
-------------
Jswrighting
Somewhat familiar

Postby PuntoPenny » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:10 pm

that's a problem, I'd liked it because of the multiplayer, like an interactive hide and seek.........however, thank you all
PuntoPenny
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:17 am

Jswrighting wrote:The most difficult about this is networking. pretty much everything else would be easy if you made an AI player, but as soon as you do multiplayer integration you have to start handling packets, making sure connections aren't dropped, making sure the game is synced on both ends, etc.. you also have to make sure that if you are doing p2p that you have the dominant computer keeping track of both itself and the client computer.
Once you've solved this then you can try to make the game, but to be fair, you might want to use someone else's stripped down MUD engine and disable most of the features.

^^^^^ Don't listen to this person, you're making a turn based text game, not a surgeon simulator mmo. This is one of the incredibly few situations were there's literally no game logic difference between hotseat (taking turns at the same computer) and online multiplayer, and that is a precious gift that you should cherish.

In fact, that's what I would suggest for starting this project is first making a version where you just take turns at the same keyboard, and then later moving "player 2" to take input from a socket connection. Under any other circumstance that would be terrible advice, but again, it's turn based text.

I can give you a better explanation of the challenges you'll face and the reasons you won't be facing many common challenges involved with networking if you want to, but for now I'd suggest just going for it and seeing where you end up.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Return to Vore game