Vore Text Game: Going Open Source (I'm done)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

More pred events, or more Prey events? (that means you as the pred, or you as the prey)

Pred
32%
Prey
56%
Don't care
3%
Jetpack!
9%

Total votes : 581

Vore Text Game: Going Open Source (I'm done)

Postby Heady9 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Howdy Folks!

I have something here that I've been working on for a few weeks. Inspired by games like flexible survival and Corruption of Champions, as well as the works of Duamutef and others on this site, I have created a Vore Text Game! (title Pending).

What you see before you is just an alpha release. There is only two places to go, only a few people to eat (or be eaten by!), and only a two enemies. I plan on expanding this by quite a bit.

THE STORY:
Spoiler: show
Welcome to the world of Resha! A once quiet world about to be rocked by events not seen in over a thousand years.
Lurking in the underbelly of this fair world is the insidious cult of the Enveloping Circle, who seek to plunge it into Chaos in the name of their Goddess. A prophesy is told that the believers will be given the powers of Consumption, which will lead them to victory in the conquest of this world. Already, they have been given this on a small scale, but it is just a taste of what is to come!

You are a young person striking out on your own for the first time, just as the cult is starting to take hold. Will you oppose the ever growing cult? Or will you join them in their quest? Either way, I'm sure the results will be delicious.

(Yeah, still needs a bit of work.)

Planned for the future:
Party Members!
Plot!
More Monsters! (examples include Fairys, Daemons, Harpies, and sharks. Feel free to make a suggestion!)
Sex!
More People to eat! (almost every NPC can be eaten)
Better Writing!
Save games!

I'm wide open for suggestions, so let me know what you would like to see!

PS YOU MAY HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME TO PLAY IT.

EDIT: UPDATE!!!!!
New:
Save Files!
1 New event! (have a look around town. . .)
Tweakd some stats.
Bug fixes:
Fixed bug that would get you stuck in the stats screen with someone in your belly.
Item system has been fixed (no more one items only or errors)
Other small bugs.

I still can't figure out the loading error. It is something that I fear will take a rebuild of the system. But for now, all the relevant files will be included in a rar with the game.

From Now on I will update every two weeks, unless a game breaking bug shows up, in which case I will try to have a bug fix out the next day.

OLD VERSION: 0.0.02
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NU4RTVST Megaupload
[url]http://www.4shared.com/file/nDDLhjMh/The_Vore_Text_Game.html
[/url] 4shared

EDIT 7/24/11
NEWEST VERSION 0.0.05
New Stuff:
New creature in the forest
A bit more exploration in town
PLOT!!!
MORE BAD WRITING T_T
Fixed digestion messages not showing up.
Better Background Colors

Planned for next Update:
New monsters.
Battle system overhaul
fixing up dialog on older events.
Quests! (framework is in place, but need more time to get the implementation right)

I almost didn't get this out, and I certainly didn't get as much done as I wanted. I'm kinda noticing how poor my writing skills are and I need a ton of practice. This almost led to me scrapping one of the new events, but it may just be that it needs a rewrite.

http://www.4shared.com/file/aptwOjGp/VTG000005.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3OQJTGSG

EDIT 3:
NEWEST UPDATE: 12/30/11
NEW STUFFS:
MOAR DIALOG
MOAR PEOPLE
UNBIRTH!
Bigger play area.

I'm still a little iffy on this one, but I've tested it, and it should be bug free. If you can't go any further in something or can't get another event out of something, either click again, or you've gone as far as you can go. The scroll bar still doesn't work for some unfathomable reason, but it might be because flash hates me.
If I missed any bugs, please let me know.

IMPORTANT:
This will be the last update for sometime, excluding bug fixes. I'm going to be putting the game down till March due to another project that I will be working on. After that, I'll try to work on the game in a similar manner to fenoxor, ie when I feel like it but more often. Thanks for understanding.

Also, the dot bug in the beginning is not fixed, so you may have to download the stand alone flash player from adobes website. Look around in the thread for the solution.
EDIT: fixed special attacks not working.
EDIT: fixed cult quest leading to linda.
Download:
Megaupload is dead, long live Megaupload!
4shared:
http://www.4shared.com/rar/3azm7l0U/VTG00012.html

I'm done with the game for now, so download the source and make your own:
http://www.4shared.com/rar/zYi4Kglr/Tales_of_Resha.html
http://www.mediafire.com/?x8zjb9cg1039hiz
Enjoy!
Last edited by Heady9 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:50 am, edited 12 times in total.
I make comments and posts when I should be sleeping. You have been warned
Heady9
Somewhat familiar

Re: Vore Text Game

Postby Jahan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:43 pm

All I'm getting is a series of elipses over and over...
Jahan
Idly kitty

Postby xega888 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:50 pm

yay its like an interactive story on steroids.
WOW it gused my exact height =6 foot 3
xega888
???

Postby linko736 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Not opening for me. Usually SWF files open for me, I have an offline flash player.. >.>
linko736
Somewhat familiar

Postby komaru » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Aye, I'm having this issue as well, have tried opening it with both Internet Explorer, and Swiff Flash Player, and either way I keep getting the loading dots, currently running Adobe Flash version 10.3.

EDIT: Found out the trick, at first I was downloading it just by clicking the text, seems you need to right click and manually "Save Target As..." for it to work correctly.

P.S. Cute little game so far :3
komaru
???

Postby Kiyoa » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Hmmm... kinda reminds me of Nimin Fetish Fantasy and Champions of Corruption. Pretty basic so far... but I sense quite a bit of promise in this one.
Kiyoa
Somewhat familiar

Postby dxasmodeus » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Since Herm characters are available, is cockvore a planned option?
dxasmodeus
New to the forum

Postby SDmanical » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:04 am

A bit of a downgraded copy of Nimin, yes. But hey, you just started.

I'll be honest with you on your work so far.

-You don't have to, since it's your game and your interests are important for that, but I'd suggest trying to cater to a wider audience. By that I mean you might want to add more species to play as other than human, as well as giving people more option to feel as if they are 'in charge' or not. From what I played there certainly didn't seem to be much choice as to whether you were enjoying being eaten or not, let alone if you can eat something or not.

-Improve the writing. Descriptions should be very detailed, and you might want to run your text segments through a spell check as well. You did fairly well on descriptions for encountering enemies, but the vore, digestion, and virtually everything else in the game seemed lack-luster at best.

-The game play feels empty. I don't feel like I have much control over what happens. You should add some variety to the combat in one way or another. Perhaps some different types of attacks, and each enemy has its own weaknesses. Even something as basic as that would make it more interesting. Keyboard shortcuts would make it much more user friendly as well.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I hope this information is able to help you.
SDmanical
Somewhat familiar

Postby dxasmodeus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:30 am

To add to what SD has said, Here are some of my suggestions.

Regarding the writing: If you feel you need help, do not hesitate to ask for contributions. I am one of the primary contributors to Champions of Corruption. Anyone who has played CoC or its predecessor, Unnamed Text Game and dealt with Giacomo, his items, the Tentacle Plant or the new worms has read my work. The creator of that game, Fenoxo, writes most of the events, but allows others to write events that he cannot write. I am confident the community here will help.

Regarding actions: Coming from Futanari Palace, I can say that making any game is a challenge, especially when dealing with fetishes within fetishes. The sheer volume of sub genres I have seen here will make this game quite a challenge. There will be a TON of writing and coding to do, especially to make things interesting and maintaining erotic value. Combat encounters require a lot of both, considering all possible outcomes must be written up.

Regarding coding: While I am hardly an authority on AS2 or AS3, the coding could use some work. The mouse tip and buttons do not indicate the mouse hover. I thought it was broken until I clicked the buttonspace. Since a LOT of people have issues running flash games (usually operator head space and no fault of the developer) it is best to make sure there is no room for confusion to avoid further confusion.
dxasmodeus
New to the forum

Postby xega888 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:03 am

linko736 wrote:Not opening for me. Usually SWF files open for me, I have an offline flash player.. >.>

open it with internet explorer that always works fror .swf
xega888
???

Postby Kulimbor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 am

I would also recommend trying to find a way to save progress, as well. Its a little annoying to have to start over every time you die.
Kulimbor
Somewhat familiar

Postby Liz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:57 am

A save game would be good.

Otherwise its a good start - Adding in Elf characters or what not might be an idea if you're keen on it. The Elf is more likely to be eaten by the town people ect due to they taste better or aren't trusted because they are not human.
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Postby empatheticapathy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:01 am

This is a good start, and something I look forward to playing in a more completed stage.
I suppose I should also throw in my few cents:

I'd recommend you don't feel any pressure to add fetishes that are not your own. Yes, I know there's something to be said for a larger audience, but there's also something to be said for not taking the already time-consuming, tedious, and sometimes frustrating task of designing a game, and then adding that you have to write (and possibly code) things you have no interest in. All that's going to do is increase the amount of time it takes to make the game, and possibly force compromises on quality, and that's a situation where we all lose. Please don't misunderstand me: if you've got fetishes that aren't in the game, then by all means, add them until your fingers bleed from typing. But don't feel pressured to create something you won't enjoy creating; that makes everyone involved with the production suffers.
On the topic of adding new races: Personally, I'd prefer if you kept that to a minimum, or didn't include it at all. More races means you have to put more thought into the setting, and the NPCs. It also means adding more interactions and descriptions for different races (ie: If, as Madness suggested, you were to add a race that tasted better, that would mean it becomes reasonable for the player to expect different descriptions for getting eaten by any predator with a sense of taste, wherein it mentions that your eater particularly enjoyed your flavor. You'd have to do something similar for a race that tasted bad, or a race that had hard spikes somewhere on it's body, etc.) I think it would make a better game in the long run if, instead of that, you were to focus on adding enemies, locations, and interactions with the world at large. Of course, if the player just wants to customize their character, it seems like it would be a trivial task to ask questions like "What color is your hair?" or "Are you tall?" at the beginning of the game, and leave it more or less at that.

As for gameplay, I'm gonna have to go with SD and say the combat was pretty uninvolved. I'd recommend what he said, which giving the player some different things to do during combat. A few spells and items that do damage (or alter the stats of either you or your enemy) would go a long way, as would giving the enemies certain weaknesses and resistances. I'm not saying every fight has to be a chess match, but games are fun because the player can choose what to do. Giving the player more choices (within reason), and giving the choices different consequences, tends to equate to a better game.

I would also recommend an interface change. The player choices should stay in one area at all times (I would recommend putting them all near the bottom of the screen; and going from mostly empty buttons, to smaller, hyperlink-style commands. Think of the conversations in Duamutef's Glorious Vore RPG.). It would give you more room if, rather than having the stats constantly displayed on the left, they only appear if the player clicks a 'Stats' button. Of course, HP is important, and should always be visible, as should any other stats you deem particularly important, but as of this build, the rest of the stats don't need to be seen at all times.

I encountered a glitch, where, after attempting to purchase a P. Jelly and a Health Potion, the game told me I had three P. Jellies, and, after I had used one, the other two spots in my inventory just said "ERROR".

As for enemy requests, I'd like to see orcs/ogres, goblins, dryads, vampires, zombies, mermaids, lizardpeople, dullahans, and, assuming you're okay with them in your setting, anthros (of whatever type you like, though I'd like to cast a vote to ratgirls).

If you're interested in a writer, I will gladly offer my services (within reason, I still have my own game to work on, and I daresay I simply won't be able to be a primary writer, but I can always assist, maybe only writing for a few NPCs/scenarios, or just being a proofreader).
empatheticapathy
---

Postby silver9595 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:20 am

the elipses prevent me from playing...i must now find a way to destroy them >.<
silver9595
Been posting for a bit

Postby maraudingmarauder » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 am

I'm getting the eternal dots too. Curses.
maraudingmarauder
???

Postby Heady9 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 am

Okay, answer time:

first: The combat. I do plan on making it a bit more involved, it just may take some more rewriting of the code. I'm not setting any deadlines for that little piece of fun just yet, but keep your eyes peeled. As I mentioned, I do plan on adding party members at some point. But combat, at the moment, is not going to be the main focus of the game. This will more than likely be exploring.

Next: the Writing. Yeah, reading some of this over, I do plan on doing a few re-writes, and at some point I will ask for help on it, but I have to plot out a few more things. Its been a while since I've done any serious writing, much less in the current tense. Give me some time.

Next Next: Glitches. I thought I had figured out the glitch with the items, but it seems that my fix has not worked. I fear I may have to rebuild the Item 'Storage system from scratch. Also, I'm not sure why it is giving everyone some problems. I realize that its not showing up in the thread window (surprise surprise), but I don't get why its not showing up in flash player. Anyone out there a with a bit more hair in the coding department with some advice would be helpful. I may have to try and export it a different way.

also: Yeah, I really haven't been able to figure out the thing with the button space yet.

More Next: Save files will be coming.

Even More Nest: Creatures and fetishes. I'm a bit on the fence about cock vore at the moment, and I might put up a poll to guage the interest in it. Unbirth seems possible, but again, I'm on the fence about it. I do have some TF planned, but not to the extremes that Nimin or COC has.
Anthro's are planned, but I do not know to what degree I'm going to implement them yet. Elves had kinda slipped my mind at this point, but I'm not sure yet if I want them or orcs in. I'm trying to break from some of the fantasy tropes on this. I'm also not sure as to the degree of character customization that I will add in.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Keep 'em coming, cause its the only way I'm gonna improve. I hope to have a new release out in a few days, then I'm gonna try and do one every 2 weeks (DON'T EXPECT IT THOUGH! just setting a goal here).

PS Can YOU spot the references I snuck in?
Heady9
Somewhat familiar

Postby Indighost » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Heady,

Your game is a lot of fun! Just one question: how do you increase belly size? I reached level 5 and was able to eat any monster, but I still wasn't able to eat people.

Also, obviously:
-Ability to swallow more than 1 enemy at a time would be nice
Indighost
---

Postby dagar » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am

I tried to load it and got eternal dots. I used a flash player, and it loaded up a screen with all the stats and boxes blank except for a box labeled "stats" and a box labeled "text" and a flashing tall thin box on the right side. I want to play it pretty badly ^^;
dagar
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Heady9 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:02 am

Indighost wrote:Hi Heady,

Your game is a lot of fun! Just one question: how do you increase belly size? I reached level 5 and was able to eat any monster, but I still wasn't able to eat people.

Also, obviously:
-Ability to swallow more than 1 enemy at a time would be nice

There take a look around somewhere in town. . .

I'll be adding the ability to eat more people and monsters in the future. Trying not to break the code right now, though.
Heady9
Somewhat familiar

Postby Gah » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 am

Having the same problem as a lot of others. Any thoughts on how to work around these dreaded 'eternal dots' so that we might be able to try out this game?
Gah
Participator

Next

Return to Vore game