Why do some consider humans boring?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Why do some consider humans boring?

Postby Rumor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Now, I do understand everyone has their own preferences and I'm not hating on anyone for having them, this is mostly just a question of curiosity. Sometimes when browsing posts in the Seeking Roleplay section or profiles on chat, I'll notice that some people dislike humans in the RP with the reasoning that they're "boring". Why are they boring? That part never gets elaborated on and I'm just curious what makes a human less interesting than an elf, a catgirl, a furry, a demon, or whatever.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Re: Why do some consider humans boring?

Postby Bright » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Because there are over 6 billion humans on this planet, but not a single catgirl.

A more elaborate answer might be that people are looking for a fantasy that is out of the ordinary, and humans are a bit too close to reality. Also some believe that when someone have a human character, they are rarily thought through and are thought of as boring.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby zarpaulus » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Because we are humans and are rather familiar with ourselves.
zarpaulus
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby GokaiRed » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Some people just don't like humans.

Just as some people don't like furs, elves, nagas, etc etc etc.
Let's make this showy!
RP with me sometime!-http://aryion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27892
GokaiRed
Been posting for a bit

Postby Luckless » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:16 pm

If you grow up fantasizing about cartoonish anthropomorphic characters, that's going to flavor your tastes as an adult considerably.
Now, what my love is, proof hath made you know;
And as my love is sized, my fear is so:
Where love is great, the littlest doubts are fear;
Where little fears grow great, great love grows there.
Luckless
Somewhat familiar

Postby 4ofSwords » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:04 pm

I think for a lot of people, humans come with baggage they don't like. Furries, fantastic creatures, etc. don't necessarily have any context that informs their behavior or brings up certain memories, but all of us have had some kind exposure to other humans. (If not, I'm interested to hear more about it!) It may be more difficult for people to escape into fantasy when humans are involved.

Or it may be a matter of liking same-sized soft vore, and just not being able to wrap their head around how someone could wrap their head around someone else. I have that problem sometimes.
4ofSwords
???

Postby JacktheRabbit » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:52 pm

For me it's the cartoons I grew up with that helped create/enforce my fantasys. It just doesn't 'make sense' to me for a human to be a predator or prey in a soft-vore RP. I rather it be talking animal creatures, in a world apart from humans. There's also the sense of 'natural' predator/prey relationships: My owl swoops down and catches mice. My snake catches rabbits. And my rabbit runs in fear from foxes. Humans, shrunk or otherwise, tend to spoil things for me.
JacktheRabbit
Participator

Postby C-B-A » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Bright wrote:Because there are over 6 billion humans on this planet, but not a single catgirl.

Probably the best thing I read all day.

well I don't find humans boring, I may like demihumans (demons, catgirls, lamias, things like that) but when you really look at it the difference between a demon girl and a normal human girl, is personality and some physical differences. some people just need the fantasy aspect to make things "work for them" which I can see and understand, but some of us still appreciate the dynamic nature of our own species.
Regional mad scientist and belly inspector
C-B-A
Heavy user

Postby Avereth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Humans have a far smaller range of expected behavior. They just can't act like a furry can, either because if they did it'd be out of character and look crazy, or because they simply lack the physical anatomy to do it. They also don't have nearly as interesting features for someone who likes a mix of animal characteristics. When you're interested in toothy muzzles, slobbery tongues, specific fur patterns, or paw or tails or whatever, plain skin and bodies unaugmented for predation just fall short of the benchmark. They don't have predatory looking teeth or eyes or features either, unless they're already less than human by being a vampire, werewolf, demon, neko, or pretend kitsune. By being human, they're also less likely to have nearly as much freedom as a furry in terms of stalking and capturing prey.

The easiest way to put it is that a furry can do everything a human can, and that's only the beginning of the possibilities for the creative.
Avereth
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: The Savannah, resting as a meerkat squirms inside me

Postby deletedaccount505 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Because humans are prey and not predators....
"It doesn't matter who you are on the outside, but it does matter who you have digesting inside."

deletedaccount505
???

Postby C-B-A » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 pm

CosmicGrounds wrote:Because humans are prey and not predators....

Last edited by C-B-A on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-B-A
Heavy user

Postby dangerous » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Humans are my favorite prey... I don't really see what is boring about them.

A furry can do everything a human can

Sure, except be realistic, and let me know more what the prey is thinking/going to do (I know more about humans than I know about random furry things that people come up with)

... and that's only the beginning of the possibilities for the creative.

What is the need to add on more possible reactions for my prey? Each prey is already different, but the general predictability lets me do my job (i.e. hunt) better.

Also, the furry is being PLAYED BY a human, so it is already bounded by human nature. Why try to hide that, instead of letting it be itself?

Because humans are prey and not predators....

Sure, but I don't see anywhere on this thread that it says that humans make boring PREDATORS. I just see humans make boring RP partners. Sure, they probably would make boring predators, because the predator is SUPPOSED to be unexpected by its very nature, while the prey is supposed to be somewhat predictable (at least from the predator's standpoint.)
You don't know me. Yet.
dangerous
Participator

Postby Avereth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Sure, except be realistic, and let me know more what the prey is thinking/going to do (I know more about humans than I know about random furry things that people come up with)

When you're doing things involving swallowing someone else whole, realistic already ran out the door a long time ago. You're saying you pretty much only want more mundane 'this is still possible in real life aside from being vore' then. And just because you like things to be easy and the same doesn't mean it's a very good reason as a whole to consider it to make humans a better choice to always go with. I mean really, heaven forbid you have to experience new things sometimes and make some effort because it's not the same canned prey every time. I'm sure if you can appreciate a difference in plot from scene to scene you can understand why different species can make things more interesting. This IS a thread about why some consider humans boring, you realize, and your reasons you don't like furries pretty much still paint humans as boring since that's what you state you're looking for.

What is the need to add on more possible reactions for my prey? Each prey is already different, but the general predictability lets me do my job (i.e. hunt) better.

Also, the furry is being PLAYED BY a human, so it is already bounded by human nature. Why try to hide that, instead of letting it be itself?

You're saying you don't like variety. We get it. Here's a hint though: it's no harder to catch furry prey than humans. It's roleplay for heaven's sake. It's probably already been decided long beforehand. It's merely harder to roleplay something that's not human, but that hasn't much to do with the difficulty of catching it. A human can just as easily find ways to make capture difficult as a furry. Don't mistake your aversion to making extra effort for being a valid argument. The extra effort is exactly what makes it interesting.

You're mistaken if you think human nature cannot be subverted or suspended for a while. In fact, entering the mindset of something partially or completely different in its way of thinking and acting in a roleplay is really neat if you enjoy psychology. It's not a matter of hiding anything. It's merely all the more engaging and immersive. Furry characters that acted 100% human would be pointless unless you only care about appearances.
Avereth
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: The Savannah, resting as a meerkat squirms inside me

Postby dangerous » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 pm

There is a difference between boring and predictable. Rolling dice is boring, but it is completely unpredictable. Playing chess is predictable, but completely interesting (un-boring). IMO, being a predator should SORTA be like playing chess although obviously more rewarding. (Bad analogy time). I love knowing what my opponent (prey) CAN do, and trying to predict what they WILL do based on the position they are in (psychology - to me making it non-human prey throws psychology out the window). Once you predict what they WILL do, you slowly cut off all escape, until checkmate/nom. With non-human prey, it feels the same as playing against a random move generator. Sure, it is DIFFERENT, but difference does not reduce dullness if the difference is basically random. The whole fun is pattern finding, psychology, analyzing your own mind to get a feel for your prey's.

When you're doing things involving swallowing someone else whole, realistic already ran out the door a long time ago.

Firstly, I do not *ONLY* enjoy soft-vore. I enjoy hard-vore at least as much. And yes, soft vore is unrealistic, but that does not mean the HUNT aspect must be unrealistic and that the characters must be unrealistic. I am perfectly OK with unrealistic preds, or unrealistic things the preds do, they are SUPPOSED to not be imagined by the prey before hand. But I enjoy it when the prey itself remains as realistic as possible through the whole unrealistic scenario. If there is NO realism, the RP looses its grip on reality and slides off into randomness. There is a reason why in most good fantasy novels human nature is not changed. It is because one of the points of fantasy is saying 'if this situation was imposed on humans, what would happen?'
You don't know me. Yet.
dangerous
Participator

Postby Liz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Different strokes for Different blokes - As my Aussie would put it.

Maybe some people find Humans in Vore too close to reality. I mean Furrys are not in reality so naturally some people find it easier to escape into Fantasy.

Even I who write mainly human/human stuff find myself leaning to the Predator being different to the average human. Hungered look human enough so they can blend in but they are different in DNA and other bodily attributes.

I am not into Furry works in general but I love Elves, Nagas, Gnomes, Nekos and Dog Girls. Everyone is different :)
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Postby C-B-A » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Madness wrote:Different strokes for Different blokes - As my Aussie would put it.

Maybe some people find Humans in Vore too close to reality. I mean Furrys are not in reality so naturally some people find it easier to escape into Fantasy.

Even I who write mainly human/human stuff find myself leaning to the Predator being different to the average human. Hungered look human enough so they can blend in but they are different in DNA and other bodily attributes.

I am not into Furry works in general but I love Elves, Nagas, Gnomes, Nekos and Dog Girls. Everyone is different :)

C-B-A
Heavy user

Postby Indighost » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Humans are seen everyday in everyone's life and we know all about them already and they all look more or less pretty similar to one another and all have the same general abilities.

Demons, elves, catgirls, furries? Not so much.
Indighost
---

Postby deletedaccount505 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Indighost wrote:Humans are seen everyday in everyone's life and we know all about them already and they all look more or less pretty similar to one another and all have the same general abilities.

Demons, elves, catgirls, furries? Not so much.

You know what I think?

"It doesn't matter who you are on the outside, but it does matter who you have digesting inside."

deletedaccount505
???

Postby dangerous » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am

oh yea. Another reason why humans are my favorite prey is because it also makes the predator feel more powerful. Everyone I know is human and making one a snack means I can make a snack of any of these people if I wanted to.
You don't know me. Yet.
dangerous
Participator

Postby Surge » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 am

Humans are boring, uninteresting and there's far too many of them.

Though the dislike sort of fetishized at some point, since I have a thing for unlikely predators and they're the most unlikely.
Surge
Advanced Vorarephile

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion