How To Train Your Dragon

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: How To Train Your Dragon

Postby Generationslayer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:05 pm

i saw some where it got 3 1/2 stars...not bad at all.

still going to wait for the DVD though, not going to sit in theaters with a bunch of kids or guys wanting a vore scene XD jk jk
Generationslayer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Cicatrix_Manet » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:31 pm

ParKourDragon wrote:as said on previous post, can take ages, but there are the main types, draco occidentalis magnus, draco africanus, all those. yes dragons are not real, but they are known to be a particular type as the stereotypical one when people think of them is the draco occidentalis magnus. im not good at describing, so i wont, admittidly, how they may act might be correct, or close anyway, but as stated in many books, even if have them from eggs, 99% cannot be trained.

A socially functional life. You require one sir. :lol:
I...uh...well I...what?...sorry...nevermind
Cicatrix_Manet
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ichbinich » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 am

Cicatrix_Manet wrote:
ParKourDragon wrote:as said on previous post, can take ages, but there are the main types, draco occidentalis magnus, draco africanus, all those. yes dragons are not real, but they are known to be a particular type as the stereotypical one when people think of them is the draco occidentalis magnus. im not good at describing, so i wont, admittidly, how they may act might be correct, or close anyway, but as stated in many books, even if have them from eggs, 99% cannot be trained.

A socially functional life. You require one sir. :lol:

....Dragons aren't real? Pull the other one.
ichbinich
SHARK!

Postby Professor D » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:35 am

If dragons are anything, they're the product of international mythology. Depending on which corner of the planet you visit, dragons can be just about anything. In Japan they're essentially fish.
Professor D
New to the forum

Postby ParKourDragon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:45 pm

ok i admit i was stupid, i went to see it, and it was actually ok, so i regret all i said and wish i could take it all back. so sorry, i will not look at this again.

but addressed to Cicatrix_Manet, this was when i was young, very young, and when i thought they did exist. in the last 10 years i have completely changed, i am always active and with mates doing parkour, i have a good social life.

but once again, sorry about what i posted, and can we please leave this?
ParKourDragon
Been posting for a bit

Postby Orlando » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Darn, was hoping to see news of Astrid getting eaten or covered in slime like the mom in Monsters vs Aliens. Oh well.
Orlando
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Crownflame » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 am

I was out harvesting reference images of Toothless, and I found a couple of maw shots, so I thought I oughta post 'em for people who can appreciate 'em.

Enjoy! XD

(BTW, if you'd like 5 pages of Toothless reference images, I'd be happy to send 'em to anyone interested. Thor knows I spent long enough dragon-spotting for myself. XD)
Attachments
Toothless Maw Shots.JPG
Kinda spooky! XD
Crownflame
---

Postby Noki » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 am

i would like to say that the movie was awesome, and i plan on buying it (i didn't know it was a book, and usually i hate books into movies...). i saw it in 3D and in 2D, and i liked 2D better. i'm suprised no one has mentioned how the dragons act like when they aren't trying to kill things....
Noki
???

Postby MichaelGrey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Well god forbid they bring CIVILITY into a thread discussion about dragons! Dragons can't be civil! XD

I noticed it though. Very, very friendly, quite impressionable, about...Dolphin level of intelligence, I'd wager. All they needed was a little love and respect and BOOM, everybody's their friend. And a much better environmental message than Avatar. :D
MichaelGrey
Somewhat familiar

Postby TheCreeper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Orlando wrote:Darn, was hoping to see news of Astrid getting eaten or covered in slime like the mom in Monsters vs Aliens. Oh well.

Me too, I was really kinda hoping for something like that. Even if it was a quick scene it would have been worth it.
TheCreeper
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Crownflame » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 pm

Noki wrote:i would like to say that the movie was awesome, and i plan on buying it (i didn't know it was a book, and usually i hate books into movies...). i saw it in 3D and in 2D, and i liked 2D better. i'm suprised no one has mentioned how the dragons act like when they aren't trying to kill things....

I would say, as someone who is hopelessly SMITTEN with the book, that if the movie is your first impression, you'll probably be quite disappointed with the book. XD I can't believe I'm saying it, but it's true. XD It is worth a looksie, though- you should SEE these scribbly illustrations they managed to yank Hiccup from- DreamWorks actually did some fabulous, sophisticated translation of story (and to some extent, art) to make it sell AND be positively BRILLIANT on the big screen- while paying constant, if subtle, homage to its rather humble origins.

The children's book is more melodramatic than EPIC, more crude than cute- the dragons can talk (but are much tougher to deal with), and top out at about four feet long (i.e., no dragon-riding! :C ); all the characters (aside from Hiccup,) are shallower and meaner, while the movie pushed on some much-needed dignity and lovablity.

But seriously, I loved this movie. I've seen it twice now, and I almost considered seeing it a third (all within about a week), but the people at the theater know me and would probably think I'm nuts. XD Hiccup and Toothless are probably the most enthralling animated characters I have ever seen.

I am eagerly awaiting the day when I own this movie and can watch it twice a week. XD
Crownflame
---

Postby Noki » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Crownflame wrote:
Noki wrote:i would like to say that the movie was awesome, and i plan on buying it (i didn't know it was a book, and usually i hate books into movies...). i saw it in 3D and in 2D, and i liked 2D better. i'm suprised no one has mentioned how the dragons act like when they aren't trying to kill things....

I would say, as someone who is hopelessly SMITTEN with the book, that if the movie is your first impression, you'll probably be quite disappointed with the book. XD I can't believe I'm saying it, but it's true. XD It is worth a looksie, though- you should SEE these scribbly illustrations they managed to yank Hiccup from- DreamWorks actually did some fabulous, sophisticated translation of story (and to some extent, art) to make it sell AND be positively BRILLIANT on the big screen- while paying constant, if subtle, homage to its rather humble origins.

The children's book is more melodramatic than EPIC, more crude than cute- the dragons can talk (but are much tougher to deal with), and top out at about four feet long (i.e., no dragon-riding! :C ); all the characters (aside from Hiccup,) are shallower and meaner, while the movie pushed on some much-needed dignity and lovablity.

But seriously, I loved this movie. I've seen it twice now, and I almost considered seeing it a third (all within about a week), but the people at the theater know me and would probably think I'm nuts. XD Hiccup and Toothless are probably the most enthralling animated characters I have ever seen.

I am eagerly awaiting the day when I own this movie and can watch it twice a week. XD

i really do want to read it, especially since i found out it was a book. are the drawings during the ending credits taken from the book?

i think they modeled the dragons after cats....:3 they are pretty cat like.
Noki
???

Postby Firon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Crownflame wrote:But seriously, I loved this movie. I've seen it twice now, and I almost considered seeing it a third (all within about a week), but the people at the theater know me and would probably think I'm nuts. XD Hiccup and Toothless are probably the most enthralling animated characters I have ever seen.

if you are paying.....they can't say a word :P

the more times you see it the more money they make.....everyones happy
Firon
---

Postby Terastas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm surprised how many people are mentioning that "it isn't very faithful to the book / source material."

Is that really new? Shrek, Over The Hedge and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (just to name a few) all wildly differed from the source material, and if you ask me, all of them were ultimately much better for it. I don't think Dreamworks bought the title rights with the intent of an adaptation -- they probably just wanted the basic framework and bought the rights out of respect and/or to avoid getting sued.

MichaelGrey wrote:I noticed it though. Very, very friendly, quite impressionable, about...Dolphin level of intelligence, I'd wager.

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that. Dreamworks could have easily gone one of two (very cliche) ways with this: either turned the dragons into friendly puppy-dogs, or made them fully sentient but give some random "bonding instinct" (Dragonheart, Eragon, etc.) to justify the union. Instead they made them feral but intelligent (even the ones that appear designed to look stupid had their moments of wit), and capable of affection but more like a cat in that it had to be earned. They could have easily jumped to the chase and had Toothless loyal to Hiccup the very second he cut him loose. But they didn't -- they kept Toothless distrustful and only open more out of curiosity; Toothless and Hiccup's relationship went through seven phases: distant, cautious, socially awkward, tolerant, respectful, playful, and finally loyal. I love that! :D

I am sooooooo getting this when it comes out on DVD. . . You know, if I have the money to spare when it comes out I mean (Still don't own Kung-Fu Panda on DVD like I said I would. . . Damn it sucks to be broke.).
Terastas
Cobalt Cat

Postby Noki » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Another reason(in my opinion) that it isn't faithful to the books is that maybe the author didn't work with Dreamworks? I always remember reading articles on Yahoo! about how involved an author is with the movie. Maybe the author of these stories wasn't involved, and Dreamworks just kinda went where they wanted with it because the author wasn't breathing down their necks. For instance, Stephen King is really involved in his books that get turned to movies, just to make sure they remain as close to the story as possible. Just a thought I had!

And I really liked how Hiccup had to gain Toothless' trust before he could even be near the dragon! (Exactly what Terastas said!)

And also...I really enjoyed they were very cat like. I giggled when he was on the rock and about to pounce when Hiccup brought the basket of fish. My cat does that when he attacks things! :3
Noki
???

Postby Crownflame » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Noki wrote:
i really do want to read it, especially since i found out it was a book. are the drawings during the ending credits taken from the book?

No. No, no, no! XD You will LAUGH YOUR FACE OFF when you see those illustrations. Just trust me... and yet, they are very aptly translated from almost incomprehensible scribbles (which do, in their own quirky way fit the story) to dignified, enthralling characters on the screen.

I mention the book because I've always been a fan of it, and I've always been a bit of a book purist. I do this just to point it out- neutrally. In this case, the differences are DEFINITELY NOT a bad thing at all!

As an artist and writer, I personally think if any movie company buys the rights to someone else's idea, they have a moral (not legal, obviously) obligation not to totally screw it up. Some movies do, some movies don't.

The only movie I'm talking about here, is this one- since the concept has been near and dear to my heart for approximately 1/3 of my life. Like, the first artwork I posted on the internet was fanart of this book. Forgive me if it annoys you, but I'm enthralled with the relationships here between book and movie- I can't believe it's turned out this fabulously great, but it certainly has. XD

This movie, though obviously vastly different, did NOT SCREW ANYTHING UP. All the characters are treated with the absolute dignity they deserve- in fact, there are parts of the book that are just too goofy to take seriously- such as the Dragonese language (Keep in mind, this is a book for like, crude little boys XD), so they changed parts drastically, but they did it all for extremely well-thought-out and justifiable reasons- I have no doubts, actually, that if they had strictly followed the book to the letter, it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

I love the book, but it's just not screen material at all. XD You can't go wrong with dragons you can actually ride! XD

(But they did follow the book, way more than you'd think. Parts that aren't actually in there are subtly referenced continually throughout. For example, the exact same design of basket Hiccup uses to catch the two-foot talking Toothless in the book is used consistently throughout the movie to carry fish!- and the overall message is exactly the same, and, if anything, communicated much more clearly.)

Anyway, I could babble forever, but it's getting me nowhere. Both book and movie are great. They're the same. They're incredibly different. Dreamworks, unlike most movie studios seem to, ACTUALLY READ THE SOURCE MATERIAL. Dreamworks, unlike most movie studios, paid the source material the most respectable homage I have probably ever seen a book given. I will be incredibly surprised if Cressida Cowell isn't bursting with pride over their apt interpretation of her- let's face it, universal-story. She deserves it, and a character as original and relevant as Hiccup deserves this big break.

And, Toothless looks EXACTLY like my cat... XD
Crownflame
---

Postby Filan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:07 am

i am hearing this is a great movie, and it is holding up well at Rotten Tomatoes.
Filan
???

Previous

Return to General Vore Discussion