+ May 2011
+ March 2011
+ August 2009
+ October 2008
+ August 2008

RP Profile Creators using my creations

Permanent Linkby Nitro_Titan on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:08 pm

MAKE.YOUR.OWN.DAMN.CHARACTERS.

Really, I understand if you love my creations and I appreciate your love for them, heck I'm amazed some people go through the lengths of almost creating a near-accurate biography of the character sort of like a wiki.

But isnt it more fulfilling when you make your own? It gives you more creative freedom and flexibility with your own RP scenarios and possibilities.

You'll have less of a hassle when someone has an issue with a profile you probably spent ages setting up with nearly every single picture of the character.

---------------------------------------------------------
Wanna see my art and flash animations? http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=159175

Want more?
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/nitrotitan/
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/profile-KamiNitro.php
15 Comments Viewed 9245 times
Comments
Next

Re: RP Profile Creators using my creations

Permanent Linkby Nyxon on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 pm

I've been wanting to address this stuff myself since I've also been seeing people using my characters for their roleplay character profiles and such. Personally, it feels rather insulting to the artists/creators because it's basically stamping possession of a character or characters that they didn't bother to really mold or craft as their own. And unfortunately, no matter how many profiles you report, more eventually pop up.
Nyxon

Blog: View Blog (1)

Permanent Linkby Aces on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:13 pm

What about situations where, "This isn't the character, but they look like so-and-so by this artist" scenarios?

I don't really do that for my RP profiles, but I do end up doing it in private RPs. You draw fat characters really well and never seem to be open to commissions when I want them. D:
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Blog: View Blog (92)

Permanent Linkby Renael on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:59 pm

There needs to be more moderation on the site for this to be properly enforced imo. I use stuff as references then eventually commission my own work personally, but I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Renael
Been posting for a bit

Blog: View Blog (19)

Permanent Linkby Malus on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:01 am

I do come across that all the time and I find it a bit of a difficult issue.

The thing is, it is a very broad ranging thing. It starts with what I think a ton of people do: Using a picture of a character, usually from a commercial work as an avatar on a site. It also sits rather close to the whole issue of fanart.
That makes it really quite murky from a moral standpoint alas, since there is not really any reason why using a commercial artists picture to write under on a forum (an avatar) is inherently better while using a smaller artists picture on a roleplaying site is not.

It does not change that the latter is bad form and I fully understand artists disliking it (and I usually am not very impressed with people who do that either as a potential roleplay partner), but it makes it an issue of unclear moral consistency alas.

It is also not helped by the fact that a lot of RP partners I have encountered are very "picture focused", meaning that there is a big demand for having a picture, even though a good description is actually more likely to indicate whether or not you are a good rper.

And people will usually not pay for a commission unless they have a certain level of commitment (And let us be honest, there are a lot of artists who are not too great about doing commissions, either giving very little input opportunity - though funnily one of my best experiences was ironically an artist who went from initial description of what I wanted to full picture without any sketch or such given inbetween - or not really paying much attention and thus ending up with a lot of back and forth trying to re-explain the same things over and over) and thus end up stealing something else instead of getting something, through whichever channel, that really is their own thing.

That is not excusing it, ut I think that is partly why it is so rampant and will likely stay so for a while, unless it is answered with stronger responses, like people being less tolerant of images without a source or reporting the unauthorized use of pictures more (though that can be a thankless job).
Malus
Somewhat familiar

Blog: View Blog (0)

RE: RP Profile Creators using my creations

Permanent Linkby LPWolfiLP on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:51 am

Buuh...that is just disgusting x.x
I mean I dooo design my Characters completly on my own...even thought it looks Bad, so I rly get how much that annoys you x.x
Good luck >~<
LPWolfiLP
Somewhat familiar

Permanent Linkby LittleSlimy on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:37 am

We are talking about this: https://rp.aryion.com/u/07nD/profile/Alyss ?
LittleSlimy
New to the forum

Permanent Linkby Jidane on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Idk what is worse. Just taking a character that isn't theirs, or taking a character that isn't theirs, skip the whole "he looks kinda like this" and just attach a completely different story/personality to your creation and just claim it as theirs completely. I've seen both and neither is okay imo.

There's just the question on how you'd moderate something like it. I have yet to see an effective solution for that particular issue.
Jidane
Artist

Blog: View Blog (2)

Permanent Linkby Jocaste on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:55 am

Started out doing it, eventually came into some money, replaced their art with something i felt was more appropriate. I cant do that whole "you should play this character for me thing."

Not an artist of the drawn variety, but those feels q_q
Who are you?
Who? Who is but the form following the function of what, and what I am is a man in a mask.
I can see that.
I'm not questioning your powers of observation, i'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.
Jocaste
Been posting for a bit

Permanent Linkby ParentJam on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:52 pm

I am a great supporter for a more strict approach to this, but there are three important factors:

(1) Mods have no proper way to track whether or not a person has permission to use a certain image for their character profile. In some cases, it can be rather easy, especially if the author publishes their art at Eka's Portal. However, most artists are that are not as easily traced or contacted.

(2) It would take an incredible amount of organising once the moderators start a strict approach. Every image on every profile would possibly need to be traced to artists and permission verified, and this would need to be done with every new image added to a profile. A daunting task that comes down to moderators having to keep track of all images of all profiles.

(3) There is a large chance that people will just seek other places to roleplay and use those images. This mainly because a great majority of profiles make use of art that those persons have not themselves drawn, commissioned, or own rights of in any other way, and they would rather relocate than feel crippled by a lack of images.
That being said, no artist should suddenly find out that a random person has adopted -appropriated even- their character's image, story, or even both. It is a common courtesy to ask for permission, as is it to not use images of artists you cannot contact or do not give you permission.
ParentJam
Been posting for a bit

Permanent Linkby lolhaxman on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:33 am

Nitro, there's also people literally reposting your stuff to DA, it's pretty bad.
lolhaxman
Somewhat familiar

Blog: View Blog (17)