Archive > Arthotus > Blog > It begins again. [Report]
Arthotus

It begins again.

Posted by Arthotus 4 years ago

So I thought about it more, and I decided I might as well try to make 'Five Paths'. I can pick Doomed and ALA up again when I'm done, it's not like they have an expiration date, after all. Five Paths is also going to be refreshingly simple compared to ALA, programming wise, so it'll give me a bit of a chance to get the muscle memory down for some of the easier stuff, and maybe give myself a few ideas for making ALA better overall.

Here, a quick pic of the start menu for the game. I decided to use colour, but I'm still not a 'visual' guy, so you shouldn't expect much.
Start Menu.bmp

This one will be much more of a choose your own adventure story, though I can't resist putting RPG elements into it and making my own life harder. You'll see once I release it, but my initial question to anyone who is interested is what kind of releases would all of you prefer? Would you be interested in testing the partially completed game (as in I'll publish a version every time I finish a path as the game is segmented fairly nicely into 5 sections obviously), or should I just chug along on it until I'm done and release the full thing without making a fuss about the middle steps? For ALA, I was really looking for feedback as I went, but this one is much easier and therefor I'm more confident in my ability to make a passable product without stopping for public criticism every few steps.
Comment on It begins again.

Comments
wisecrack3

Posted by wisecrack3 4 years ago Report

1. I'd prefer if it were released all at once, I know I wouldn't be able to resist going through it at every release :P

2. 4 colors, 5 paths. For shame Arty, for shame!

[ Reply ]

Arthotus

Posted by Arthotus 4 years ago Report

Ah, if only I had thought of that! If only there was another colour that could represent the fifth and final path! In seriousness though, you'll see there is no mistake once I release all or part of the game.

[ Reply ]

TuckingFypo

Posted by TuckingFypo 4 years ago Report

Yeah, Id say all at once. I typically wait for a game to be finished before i give it a go.

Though i look forward to whatever you go with.

[ Reply ]

Arthotus

Fair.

[ Reply ]

Ethereal

Posted by Ethereal 4 years ago Report

I say finish what you started first, or just kill them, it's annoying getting invested into one of your stories and then you don't update it.

Actually, I think it would be better if I just stopped checking your stuff, I'll be happier.

Good luck.

[ Reply ]

Arthotus

I've been getting better at finishing what I've started. Thanks for trying to kill what little motivation I do have though, I appreciate it. Maybe next time keep your thoughts to yourself if you're going to be negative.

[ Reply ]

NightRoller

Posted by NightRoller 4 years ago Report

Perhaps I may be restating what's already been said, but a combination of both would work. If you gave a few people access along the way to give you pointers, then the general public only gets to see the finished version.

[ Reply ]

Arthotus

I did actually settle on a bit of both. I'm going to get a full 'path' done before I 'release' that section of the game for review. I'll likely make a blog post if / when I ever get to that point asking for volunteers.

[ Reply ]