Archive > Audax > Blog > Please read! [Report]
Audax

Please read!

Posted by Audax 4 years ago

I need a little bit of help, i know you dont like my ideas. characters and themes. I want to fix that, but you need to tell me what im doing wrong in the first place.
So the questions are:
-Why you dont like my characters? is just my shitty art that ruins them? is the design? the backstories? species? what makes them not work for you? so i can make a list of things to do and not to do when creating a character
-Why you dont like my themes and content? I already try to not draw what i like because what i like is stupid, but i need to know what of my current drawings doesnt work for you, be it kinks or settings, perhaps making historical inspired stuff puts you off?
-why you dont like my ideas?
please tell me so i can try doing something you like for once.
Comment on Please read!

Comments
Badfurson

Posted by Badfurson 4 years ago Report

I don't think people DISLIKE your characters, the majority of viewers just tend not to comment on uploads.

I quite enjoy your works, past and present. Your centaur is nice, and I liked the tribal girl in the savannah too. It's not so much that your ideas or theming aren't working, just that people 'round here are more likely to respond in general to 'buzz characters' or franchises-rather than an artist's personal characters. Unless the artist is already insanely popular, that is.

It happens to me too: My normal uploads see around 300-500 views or less in their lifetime, but when I draw a character like Ankha-the image sees 3'000 plus views. Popular content just becomes more popular-it's like clickbait.

[ Reply ]

Audax

Posted by Audax 4 years ago Report

"Badfurson" wrote:
I don't think people DISLIKE your characters, the majority of viewers just tend not to comment on uploads.

I quite enjoy your works, past and present. Your centaur is nice, and I liked the tribal girl in the savannah too. It's not so much that your ideas or theming aren't working, just that people 'round here are more likely to respond in general to 'buzz characters' or franchises-rather than an artist's personal characters. Unless the artist is already insanely popular, that is.

It happens to me too: My normal uploads see around 300-500 views or less in their lifetime, but when I draw a character like Ankha-the image sees 3'000 plus views. Popular content just becomes more popular-it's like clickbait.

Yeah but there must be something inherently wrong with my ideas, other people dont have this trouble

[ Reply ]

Audax

Posted by Audax 4 years ago Report

My current characters are bad i know, i promise i will not draw them anymore but tell me what i should do for a new character and new ideas?

[ Reply ]

Badfurson

You'd be surprised. Again I don't think there's anything 'wrong', people are just more interested in novelty right now. I've noticed most of your images with less views tend to be B&W sideviews, with no genetalia or overt sexual imagery-with coloured, 'complex' images with background garnering more response (With a few outlying pic thrown in). Not too out of the ordinary, but it can feel like people are less interested when their viewing patterns run inverse to your recent uploads.

You could host a series of polls, ranging from very broad to more specific ideas, in order to home in on exactly what kind of content your viewers would like to see. You could also try some art trades, to cross polinate your work against other viewer bases, etc.

But in all honesty, unless this is your primary-or only-form of acquiring currency, it would be more healthy for you to focus on developing your skills in areas you seek improvement, and draw what YOU want-not what you think others want to see. Aside from trades and commissioned work, the odd request, I generally just work on whatever ideas I want to see realized. The gallery is more like a showcase to display it when I'm done. Some of my best, or favorite, work have the lowest viewcounts on my page-and that's fine, so long as I appriciate the time and effort I put into making them.

[ Reply ]

Badfurson

"Audax" wrote:
My current characters are bad i know, i promise i will not draw them anymore but tell me what i should do for a new character and new ideas?

Hush now, your characters are fine-you just need to develop them more. Create a narrative that allows them more freedom of character than seperate images can allow. Rather than focusing on one specific character, try and create a world for them to engage in.

[ Reply ]

Heartless

Posted by Heartless 4 years ago Report

If you were getting outright hate from people then I'd understand how you feel, but...as far as I can see you aren't? I'd say you're characters and ideas have no hatred of them, people probably like them. Its just a lot of people don't bother to comment. There's nothing wrong with that either in my opinion.

[ Reply ]

HyperlinkError

Posted by HyperlinkError 4 years ago Report

remember when everyone said you were irrationally hard on yourself about your art

[ Reply ]

tgawsome

Posted by tgawsome 4 years ago Report

Now a lot of what I'm going to say has already been said by Badfurson here but it needs to be said again.

Your character's aren't trash.

It's just the nature of the community about 90% of people on this sight simply watch and download art or stories without commenting or favoring things. With about 10% giving a favorite and the occasional comment. Hell I myself have only just started to comment on other peoples work, and I've been lurking for years! In hindsight, I feel bad for not being more active back then as a comment or two can really inspire some one to work more on something. Like most content creators I really want people to comment so I can know what i'm doing right and what I need to improve, but only got a handful of responses, which was rather disheartening.

Then I noticed something. My last story only has 19 favorites and 4 comments two of which are my own, but the story has about 1,250 views! So I thought my stuff can't be that bad if over a thousand people took a look at it. So I went back and looked at my other stories and saw similar and higher numbers. That's when I realized that most people in our vore community are passive in there consumption. So before you deride you skills take a step back and look at the view counts. For example take the pic A filling breakfast. Which has you're wonderful centaur Rossane (who I love by the way.) That pic has over 4,000 views! That's a lot of people! Imagine what could sit 4,000 butts and you just filled that many seats with this piece.

You have great stuff it's just a quite community. I know what it's like to fall down the hole of believing your work is trash. I've rebooted my whole writing gallery before because of that feeling and came close to doing it again. But I figured that if i'm gonna spend 15 hours writing and polishing a story then I'm gonna focus on what I want in it. I may on occasion go outside that for others or just to experiment, but I don't bend over backwards anymore to appease the fickle crowed.

Holy crap that was long, but It had to be said. I hate to see you give up on these characters there's so much potential there!

Now... If you want other people to care about those characters. I think something that would help drum up more interest would be to expand on them character wise rather than just using them for fetish. Like... your centaur Rossane (whom I love) I can see that you put a lot of detail into her design from her outfit, to her ruck sack, to those band on her leg and even her rifle all have stories behind them. How did she get the rifle? Where did she get those niffty bands? why does she travel? you said she's form a world set in something like out 1800s. How does she fit in? and so on and so on. Now none of those question have anything to do with vore but do help the character transcend beyond just being a fetish one off. People will start wanting to know more about her story, and will start to care about how it progresses. I know this from my own character Chista.

She's a vore character I made to scratch the fallout vore itch I had but then I decided to build on that. I started out by asking myself where was she from? and it snowballed from there into a character with hopes fears and personality. It's a strange way to do it but it has helped make her into a far more complex character than just a pred who noms people. She has a goal and people are interested in seeing if she achieves it and also seeing her nom nom some folks. I know this is a long post but I hope it helps.

[ Reply ]

DollyFailFail

Posted by DollyFailFail 4 years ago Report

"Audax" wrote:

Here's an idea: Continue drawing your current characters. They're wonderful. I enjoy all of your works, you may not necessarily be my favorite artist but that's mostly just because I don't really assign words like 'favorite' to artists and their art, because everyone is different, and there are great things about each of them.

It's just that favorites are things that I rarely ever use, honestly I'm considering possibly going back through my current list of favorites to see if there's any I got over-eager about.
Comments meanwhile, comments aren't really a thing I do just because I enjoy something, comments are things I do when I specifically have something I want to say, and just saying 'I enjoy this' is just not something I ever feel like doing, because it feels like it says so little.

It's times like this where I wish more websites had a 'likes' system, something I can just press to let the artist know 'I like this picture'. And I guarantee you that if there was, you would get lots of them.

[ Reply ]