Archive > Chameleonette > Blog > That Was Completely Unexpected [Report]
Chameleonette

That Was Completely Unexpected

Posted by Chameleonette 4 years ago

So. Hi.

I'm back from out-patient surgery in the ER this afternoon. What I thought was a sore throat and swelling that I went to the local walk-in clinic to get checked out early this morning turned out to be something called Acute Peritonsillar Abscess and it was taking over my throat/airway. They referred me to the ER about 30 mins away and I nearly had a break-down in their office, as it was not something I expected to hear when I went in.

I had a CT scan for the first time in my life. An IV for the first time in my life. And then went through what was probably the singular most painful thing I've ever endured. When numbing solutions don't work because you have too many nerves in the back of your mouth and they try four times with different solutions to numb it without success? And they hold your head down when they come in with the needles? You're going to have a bad time.

I was not prepared for what happened today, but I'm thankful it was taken care of before the swelling got any bigger. It was actually someone on this site in the chat who urged me not to wait any longer and get it checked out, and people from my server, as well. And a very good friend even took time out of her night to try to brainstorm with me on what was wrong when I couldn't figure it out. I'm really grateful for the support I had and the extra push not to let it go 'another day'.

There is something very good to come out of this, too. After the surgery, a woman from the Medicaid office branch in my state came to talk to me and said it's 'very likely' that I will qualify and after answering some questions and filling out a short form, she said she would set me up. So I may have insurance soon. And she told me that they actually do 'back-pay' up to 3 months. So if I get this insurance, much of my surgery and the rest that came with it should be covered. She was an absolute blessing. Fingers crossed that everything comes through.

I will be recovering for a few days. I have a follow-up to go to tomorrow to make sure the swelling isn't coming back and antibiotic treatment. But on the bright side? They said that popsicles and ice cream are probably literally the best thing for me right now. So I get to enjoy some soft treats to numb the throat pain.

It was a hell of an ordeal but... hey, I'm still here. 2019 may have struck again unexpectedly, but I'll get through this. I should be back up and running again before long. And I just gotta say again---thanks to everyone for having patience with me. I don't know where all these bad cards are being dealt from this year, but I hope I'll get a good hand to make up for it soon. And I hope all of you get those good hands, too.

We can do this.
Comment on That Was Completely Unexpected

Comments
Hariken

Posted by Hariken 4 years ago Report

Glad to hear you're okay at least! That sounds like a very scary ordeal.

[ Reply ]

Chameleonette

Posted by Chameleonette 4 years ago Report

"Hariken" wrote:
Glad to hear you're okay at least! That sounds like a very scary ordeal.

Thank you, Hariken! It really was scary and took my anxiety for a loop to the point that they said I got a fever from it. I'm doing my best to be positive for tomorrow's follow-up, though.

[ Reply ]

Bright

Posted by Bright 4 years ago Report

Glad to hear you got it checked.

[ Reply ]

Chameleonette

"Bright" wrote:
Glad to hear you got it checked.

Thanks! Just got the follow-up visit done today and the doctor said the swelling has shrunk and it's looking good. Just gotta keep taking the antibiotics for the full 14 days and that should be it! Hopefully!

[ Reply ]

Dekkard2

Posted by Dekkard2 4 years ago Report

You should definitely qualify for medicaid now that you can't work a 9-5 job anymore. Damn, an ER visit is scary. Hope you get better soon.

[ Reply ]

Chameleonette

"Dekkard2" wrote:
You should definitely qualify for medicaid now that you can't work a 9-5 job anymore. Damn, an ER visit is scary. Hope you get better soon.

I do, in fact! The lady I talked to at the ER contacted me this morning to say that I'm approved and I'll have my card in 3 weeks! And they cover anything as far as 3 months back, so my surgery and those expenses are taken care of! I really wish I had been able to get it before my ordeal last November, but at least this time it's covered and things are looking up.

Thank you! It was definitely scary as all hell, but I'm glad it's over. Recovery will be kind of slow, I'm sure. Found out that my throat doesn't like mashed potatoes right now and I thought I was going easy on it. Haha. Guess it will be soups and ice cream and yogurt for awhile. But my follow-up went well and she says the swelling has gone down, so I shouldn't need another visit as long as things continue on this path!

[ Reply ]

Dekkard2

Posted by Dekkard2 4 years ago Report

"Chameleonette" wrote:
"Dekkard2" wrote:

I do, in fact! The lady I talked to at the ER contacted me this morning to say that I'm approved and I'll have my card in 3 weeks! And they cover anything as far as 3 months back, so my surgery and those expenses are taken care of! I really wish I had been able to get it before my ordeal last November, but at least this time it's covered and things are looking up.

Thank you! It was definitely scary as all hell, but I'm glad it's over. Recovery will be kind of slow, I'm sure. Found out that my throat doesn't like mashed potatoes right now and I thought I was going easy on it. Haha. Guess it will be soups and ice cream and yogurt for awhile. But my follow-up went well and she says the swelling has gone down, so I shouldn't need another visit as long as things continue on this path!

Nice! Glad to hear things are looking up.

[ Reply ]

Chameleonette

"Dekkard2" wrote:
"Chameleonette" wrote:
"Dekkard2" wrote:

Nice! Glad to hear things are looking up.

Thank you very much!

[ Reply ]

F1reDem0n

Posted by F1reDem0n 4 years ago Report

I read this and at first I was scared you weren't going to be okay (medically or financially) then I kept reading and I was so relieved to hear that's not the case.

I don't even know what the is that you mentioned but it sounds utterly terrifying. Like Lock-Jaw but in your throat and you can't breath eventually. Good lord I am so thankful you ended up being okay in the end. Many hugs, warm fuzzy feelings and positive vibes being sent your way from me. Glad we didn't lose another of our community. Been hard watching other artists I've followed for years on here leave and never come back. We almost lost Hip Hugger and now you.

Glad you are still with us Chame. <3 <3

[ Reply ]

Very

Posted by Very 4 years ago Report

That's quite the scare... Wishing you a swift recovery.

[ Reply ]

Chameleonette

"F1reDem0n" wrote:
I read this and at first I was scared you weren't going to be okay (medically or financially) then I kept reading and I was so relieved to hear that's not the case.

I don't even know what the is that you mentioned but it sounds utterly terrifying. Like Lock-Jaw but in your throat and you can't breath eventually. Good lord I am so thankful you ended up being okay in the end. Many hugs, warm fuzzy feelings and positive vibes being sent your way from me. Glad we didn't lose another of our community. Been hard watching other artists I've followed for years on here leave and never come back. We almost lost Hip Hugger and now you.

Glad you are still with us Chame. <3 <3

Thank you for the concern! Things turned out okay, in the end. It really was a frightening experience. I went in thinking I either had something like strep throat or that the issue was dental, with my wisdom teeth (hence the swelling). I had never even heard of a Peritonsillar Abscess before, nor the danger it posed with taking over your throat. It was a hell of a shock. But the worst is over, and on my follow-up visit, the doc said that things look like they're progressing well, swelling is coming down. I've landed Medicaid and I'll get my card in a couple of weeks, as well as her assurances that any of these bills from this mess will be taken care of. It's a huge relief. Thanks for the positive vibes and everything!

I plan to still be here for as long as I can, haha.

[ Reply ]

Chameleonette

"Very" wrote:
That's quite the scare... Wishing you a swift recovery.

Thank you very much. It was definitely scary and not what I was expecting when I got it checked out, but just... going to move forward now and take care as best I can through the antibiotic period.

[ Reply ]