+ October 2013
+ September 2013
+ August 2013
+ July 2013
Search Blogs

Update and Comms Coming Soon

Permanent Linkby Chameleonette on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:15 pm

I just wanted to update on the situation with the dead computer and such--

My former computer died of hard drive failure. I had to pay a tech group to do it, but they managed to recover most of my data---so my drawings and writings and such were safe, along with my password docs. That was a big weight off of my shoulders. And it took awhile, but I got a new computer. I paid my younger brother for parts and he built it for me. It was a heavy price on top of already shelling out $200 a month to make payments on my medical bill, but I'm pushing my way through it. And while I'm at it, I just want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has supported me and helped me out along the way, be it monetary donations, commissioning me during a time of need, or just general support. I'm really grateful. I've got ways to go, but I'll be free of my medical bill after June's payment. Just a few more months to go.

Unfortunately, with the new computer, I have gotten a new problem. Windows 10 will no longer allow me to use my scanner. It's too old and has no driver that works for Win 10. A friend tried to help me find a way around it, but we were not successful. Even using my original installation disk for my hp scanjet 2400 wouldn't get my machine to even acknowledge the scanner as a device. So as sucky as it is to have to lay a scanner to rest that works perfectly fine, I can no longer use it.

I have ordered a new one, as much as I didn't want to have to do that. Win 10 has been causing me some issues with several things, but I just hope that things will work out. I checked the reviews and questions and such before buying the new scanner, so I'm at least certain that it is confirmed to work with Windows 10.

Once it gets here and I get it set up, I will prepare to reopen commissions. My art muse has been dead for awhile, but I'll do my best to whip it back into shape and get in gear trying to make up for the purchases I've had to make to get back on my feet again. So if you were interested in commissioning me, I would really appreciate it. When I get the new scanner delivered, hooked up, and working, I look forward to re-opening commissions at last.

Also, just asking in general---would people possibly be interested if I were to open writing commissions? It's something I'm still considering, so any feedback on that would be helpful.

Thanks again for your support and patience. The last few months have been extremely stressful, but I'm doing what I can to work things out and get back on my feet.

(...And just a note at the bottom to say that this has nothing to do with April Fools.)
Last edited by Chameleonette on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Passionate advocate of M/F vore.

My RP Seeking Thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35501
12 Comments Viewed 280 times
Comments
Next

Re: Update and Comms Coming Soon

Permanent Linkby NeonElf on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:52 pm

The whole computer situation sucks, but I'm glad you are going to be a little less stressed after June. You got this!
NeonElf
New to the forum

Blog: View Blog (44)

Permanent Linkby Chameleonette on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:21 pm

NeonElf wrote:The whole computer situation sucks, but I'm glad you are going to be a little less stressed after June. You got this!

Thank you~ I'll hang in there as best I can.

Chameleonette
---

Blog: View Blog (135)

Permanent Linkby Dekkard2 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:44 pm

That's why I hate new Windows OS, nothing old works on them. That's crap that you can't get medicaid to offset your medical expenses. Glad to hear everything is getting better for you.
Dekkard2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Blog: View Blog (15)

Permanent Linkby theweirdone445 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Super excited about new commissions~ Hope your computer problems work out.
theweirdone445
Been posting for a bit

Blog: View Blog (18)

Permanent Linkby Chameleonette on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Dekkard2 wrote:That's why I hate new Windows OS, nothing old works on them. That's crap that you can't get medicaid to offset your medical expenses. Glad to hear everything is getting better for you.

Win 10 has been ticking me off quite a bit. They took away several programs I liked to use, including Windows Live Movie Maker. And their new 'replacement' for it doesn't even read AVI files, so FRAPS is useless to me now. It's been a giant headache trying to play games I used to play on my old comp, too, even with a new and MUCH better graphics card. A lot of things just don't work with Win 10 and it's super annoying.

I still don't have health insurance, though I've been trying to look into it again. But with ACA potentially being shot down, I don't even know if now is a good time to be looking. And they can't help me with pre-existing bills anyway. It is what it is, I guess. I take it as it comes and hope I don't end up in the ER again or doc's office in the meantime.

Chameleonette
---

Permanent Linkby Chameleonette on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm

theweirdone445 wrote:Super excited about new commissions~ Hope your computer problems work out.

Thanks~ Here's to hoping.

Chameleonette
---

Permanent Linkby Morphy on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Had the same issue with old scanner hardware (Canoscan Lide 30, circa 1990's) no longer working with Win 10-- driver issue.

Oddly enough, I can get Linux to work with the scanner. (WTF Windows, shown up by an OS on a tiny memory stick?)

Granted, if I need to scan stuff, there's one built in to the "All in One" Canon printer I've had for the last several years. These days it's actually difficult to find a common home printer that doesn't have a scanner built in.
Morphy
Been posting for a bit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Permanent Linkby Chameleonette on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:49 pm

Morphy wrote:Had the same issue with old scanner hardware (Canoscan Lide 30, circa 1990's) no longer working with Win 10-- driver issue.

Oddly enough, I can get Linux to work with the scanner. (WTF Windows, shown up by an OS on a tiny memory stick?)

Granted, if I need to scan stuff, there's one built in to the "All in One" Canon printer I've had for the last several years. These days it's actually difficult to find a common home printer that doesn't have a scanner built in.

Yeah, I actually found a lot of people who shared the same issue I had while I was googling the problem for solutions. I didn't want to get a combination printer/scanner, but I managed to find a scanner on its own. It's an Epson Perfection v39. On the much cheaper end of scanners, since I can't be shelling out several hundred dollars for a new scanner. But as long as it works for what I need it for, that's all that matters to me.

Chameleonette
---

Permanent Linkby Combat on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Opening writing commissions finally back up? Hell yes to that I say.
Combat
New to the forum

Permanent Linkby Morphy on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:11 pm

The brute force solution is to go run a VM of the last known working OS, in this case, running XP in a VM under Windows 10 with something free like VirtualBox. Granted, you'll need an XP key but most Windows users save the damned install DVDs over the years like buried treasure, heh... I do...

This is assuming you have the memory and disk space for an old OS. As a pc nerd, it behooves me to hang on to ancient tech that still functions even if I have to use up 10gb of disk just to scan once in a blue moon... :D

A quick search of Newegg.com shows all-in-one printers starting at $50 for "garbage" and up.
8x11 flatbed scanners started at $70 for the Lide300 and quickly ramped up as you added bells n' whistles.
Morphy
Been posting for a bit