Less and less Felarya stories/writers

Karbo's fans goes here!

Moderator: Karbo

Re: Less and less Felarya stories/writers

Postby Cuddlekins » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:35 am

Oh God, someone brought that old shit up again.

Without revealing my identity (not that it'd be particularly hard to figure out who I was in that community :V), I was in the middle of that whole thing—had my name on the letter and everything—and I didn't think that I'd ever see it brought back up, lol. At the time, it seemed to clear what we were doing, but time and distance have left me wondering just... what was even the point? What did we even want to accomplish? We were young, invested in the community, and I guess we had a certain idea of how things oughta be, and things kinda got out of hand from there. If I could go back and give myself advice, would tell myself not to take it so seriously and live and let live and all that. It was a silly little fetish community and if we didn't like the way it was going, we could've just gone and done our own thing—which a few of us ended up doing anyway.

But yeah, FS def has the right of it. Some harsh words were exchanged, but in hindsight I don't think it's fair to call them out for getting defensive. We've all moved on and it's better all of that nonsense stays in the past where it belongs. Felarya was always Karbo's thing and shame on us for overstepping :c
***Cuddlekin's Vore Stories***
This link contains: Lolis, people eating lolis, lolis eating people, lolis eating lolis, and... you probably get it...
Cuddlekins
Participator

Postby French_snack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:45 am

Thanks, Cuddlekins. That seems like a good way to close that old chapter once and for all.
My short stories (210 so far, 211th coming when I have time to write it):
http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=161506
French_snack
???

Postby MrMetroid » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:13 pm

BeGad wrote:A big division at the time was between people interested in worldbuilding Felarya, and those interested just in the fetish aspect. The thing is, there really should have been no conflict over this - its easy to have both. The problem is that two writers very much on the "fetish" side of things, FrenchSnack and timing2, were continuously condescending and abrasive towards the "worldbuilding" community. These two were also clearly very favoured by Karbo, forming an unhealthy hierarchy. Frenchsnack in particular is among the most prolific vore writers out there, and clearly felt that gave him a special role.

The thing with that though is that's... not quite what I've seen, going back a bit. Or at the very least that it wasn't a one-sided deal. I dunno who threw the first stone, but i’ve actually talked to some of the Felarya group members - current or former - and (in my experience at least) it's actually the “worldbuilding” community that seemed to be the more jaded one. In particular, four of the most prolific ex-members I reached out to were BlazBaros, Gregoyle, ShadyKnight and Tora044… and out of all of them, Tora was the only one I’d consider to have been cordial about why they left :?

ShadyKnight didn’t seem interested in a back-and-fourth, Greg apparently insta-blocks people just for MENTIONING the word “Felarya”, and Blaz disregarded my concerns about moderator-issues entirely to go on a borderline tangent about nuking the setting (despite the fact reboots and resets don’t automatically make for better quality content if the people in charge of standards are the same ones who let it sink the last time), seeming convinced that the two could not co-exist - heck, I’m tempted to say he outright ranted that it was all the "fetish" side's fault and that it'd have magically all worked out if that side were axed. :|

By contrast to those three, Tora was the only ex-community member who not only spoke amicably about the situation but actually articulated a reason for why the two sides were never able to find a middle-ground. Whether his assessment was true or not is up to the individual, but his reasoning (at least as I understand it) was that there were two very different directions people wanted to take Felarya - worldbuilding requires a world/setting that is willing and able to change as stories progress and at least some degree of serious plot, but the fetish side didn’t really want Felarya didn’t want to risk losing that campy, free-spirited vibe that made it so easy for them to have fun with, which was largely dependent on the preds always being the top-dogs with the food chain never shifting no matter who or what happened. I'm probably truncating that down a lot, though ^^;

Sure there’s examples of preds getting defeated, but they were generally considered exceptions to the rule rather than the status quo actually shifting and some people weren't satisfied with that - people like like lordmep with his Kadar or Tora’s own ideas for the Negavians getting more effective defending against or even besting preds as more groups, factions and tech came to their side. The other wanted things to stay same-y, not just to preserve the more "fun" side of things but the vore aspect - FrenchSnack's stories are a prime example; they deal with lotsa "slice of life" themes but not so much in the serious stuff like actual conflict and warfare. In the middle was Karbo, who didn't want to specifically exclude anyone from playing in his sandbox - though I think that might have been a problem in the long run; had there BEEN a sterner approach to that kinda thing, it might have been easer to head off a conflict. :neutral:

French_snack wrote:Thanks, Cuddlekins. That seems like a good way to close that old chapter once and for all.

Ah... not quite so sure 'bout that. The premise mighta been off, but... well, I can't really say BeGad was entirely off the mark about how Karbo favoring your type of stories helped push one side of the community out; it just wasn't a deliberate push-out like he seemed to think. Moreover, I get the whole "doing your own thing" bit, but... well, you're a moderator - maybe not back then, but you're one now AND the guy who currently oversees submissions to the gallery; if you didn't wanna be responsible for the direction the setting goes in, IDK why you accepted that role ^^;

And I get Karbo never expecting Felarya to get this big, but... well, it DID. It DID get that big, and once that happened Karbo either needed to take more charge of it or get someone who would - and if not then he needed to tighten his belt and shut people down, no matter how painful it'd be. Because he didn't, the community kinda caved in on itself when a divide between fetish and worldbuilding became more pronounced.

Case in point; the guy who revived the thread, ChristianBethel. From what I saw of his deviantart profile, he'd experimented with story ideas that could change Felarya and looks to have got shot down pretty hard for wanting the status-quo to shift away from the preds. a lot of critiques about canon-compliance got thrown around there... but I've seen stories get accepted to the group-page despite giving canonicity the finger; a lot of the problem seemed to be more from him wanting a group of non-preds who weren't doomed to fail :P
MrMetroid
Been posting for a bit

Postby VariousWriter » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:18 pm

MrMetroid wrote:
BeGad wrote:A big division at the time was between people interested in worldbuilding Felarya, and those interested just in the fetish aspect. The thing is, there really should have been no conflict over this - its easy to have both. The problem is that two writers very much on the "fetish" side of things, FrenchSnack and timing2, were continuously condescending and abrasive towards the "worldbuilding" community. These two were also clearly very favoured by Karbo, forming an unhealthy hierarchy. Frenchsnack in particular is among the most prolific vore writers out there, and clearly felt that gave him a special role.

The thing with that though is that's... not quite what I've seen, going back a bit. Or at the very least that it wasn't a one-sided deal. I dunno who threw the first stone, but i’ve actually talked to some of the Felarya group members - current or former - and (in my experience at least) it's actually the “worldbuilding” community that seemed to be the more jaded one. In particular, four of the most prolific ex-members I reached out to were BlazBaros, Gregoyle, ShadyKnight and Tora044… and out of all of them, Tora was the only one I’d consider to have been cordial about why they left :?

ShadyKnight didn’t seem interested in a back-and-fourth, Greg apparently insta-blocks people just for MENTIONING the word “Felarya”, and Blaz disregarded my concerns about moderator-issues entirely to go on a borderline tangent about nuking the setting (despite the fact reboots and resets don’t automatically make for better quality content if the people in charge of standards are the same ones who let it sink the last time), seeming convinced that the two could not co-exist - heck, I’m tempted to say he outright ranted that it was all the "fetish" side's fault and that it'd have magically all worked out if that side were axed. :|

By contrast to those three, Tora was the only ex-community member who not only spoke amicably about the situation but actually articulated a reason for why the two sides were never able to find a middle-ground. Whether his assessment was true or not is up to the individual, but his reasoning (at least as I understand it) was that there were two very different directions people wanted to take Felarya - worldbuilding requires a world/setting that is willing and able to change as stories progress and at least some degree of serious plot, but the fetish side didn’t really want Felarya didn’t want to risk losing that campy, free-spirited vibe that made it so easy for them to have fun with, which was largely dependent on the preds always being the top-dogs with the food chain never shifting no matter who or what happened. I'm probably truncating that down a lot, though ^^;

Sure there’s examples of preds getting defeated, but they were generally considered exceptions to the rule rather than the status quo actually shifting and some people weren't satisfied with that - people like like lordmep with his Kadar or Tora’s own ideas for the Negavians getting more effective defending against or even besting preds as more groups, factions and tech came to their side. The other wanted things to stay same-y, not just to preserve the more "fun" side of things but the vore aspect - FrenchSnack's stories are a prime example; they deal with lotsa "slice of life" themes but not so much in the serious stuff like actual conflict and warfare. In the middle was Karbo, who didn't want to specifically exclude anyone from playing in his sandbox - though I think that might have been a problem in the long run; had there BEEN a sterner approach to that kinda thing, it might have been easer to head off a conflict. :neutral:

French_snack wrote:Thanks, Cuddlekins. That seems like a good way to close that old chapter once and for all.

Ah... not quite so sure 'bout that. The premise mighta been off, but... well, I can't really say BeGad was entirely off the mark about how Karbo favoring your type of stories helped push one side of the community out; it just wasn't a deliberate push-out like he seemed to think. Moreover, I get the whole "doing your own thing" bit, but... well, you're a moderator - maybe not back then, but you're one now AND the guy who currently oversees submissions to the gallery; if you didn't wanna be responsible for the direction the setting goes in, IDK why you accepted that role ^^;

And I get Karbo never expecting Felarya to get this big, but... well, it DID. It DID get that big, and once that happened Karbo either needed to take more charge of it or get someone who would - and if not then he needed to tighten his belt and shut people down, no matter how painful it'd be. Because he didn't, the community kinda caved in on itself when a divide between fetish and worldbuilding became more pronounced.

Case in point; the guy who revived the thread, ChristianBethel. From what I saw of his deviantart profile, he'd experimented with story ideas that could change Felarya and looks to have got shot down pretty hard for wanting the status-quo to shift away from the preds. a lot of critiques about canon-compliance got thrown around there... but I've seen stories get accepted to the group-page despite giving canonicity the finger; a lot of the problem seemed to be more from him wanting a group of non-preds who weren't doomed to fail :P

True. For me, Felarya is just Karbo's thing, always will be. If I make a place like Felarya, and it gets to the point where I need to take more charge or shut people down, then I know I'll have to do it, even if I don't want to.
VariousWriter
New to the forum

Postby kenrios » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:40 pm

For me, its particulary a shame.
This universe has a lot of fabric to cut through and maybe yes, it would be good to create a line of stories that were cannon. It's just that with so many stories out there it would be good for the community to come together and consider what stories should be in that cannon and make a more united lore that without affecting the original reflects Felarya's past and is unique. Anyone who would like to join thereafter please respect the cannon and don't try to rephrase it (or change the stories that are part of the cannon universe). Above all, do a review of the stories and give rise to stories that remain on the sidelines and that have a good quality. I have a story focused on Felarya and some characters that are of my creation, although I have not published it in any medium for two fundamental reasons:
1- I would not like to publish it without the approval of Karbo. I would like him to review it first (at least chapter to see what he thinks). Because it certainly seems to me that it is an act of courtesy if at least you are going to use the characters of a creator to notify him and if you can ask him what he thinks about his character, what aspects he has, the purpose I have in his development and at least see if he likes how I expose his personality certain traits etc ...
2- The above applies to non-Karbo character creators such as French_Snack (believe me man I have a folder on my machine that has all your stories based on Felarya and those of Aenhue that I like this verse too) I have studied them by looking the traits of your characters, how they develop, their personalities and their situations, how they respond to certain emotions or situations and many times I think that personally I would not like to publish a story that does not "fit" those parameters. Same for other content creators. I think it is an act of decency and ethics to have the opinion of the person who creates a character and not change those parameters without first having them. A simple example is the first time I read the story of the first meeting between Milly and Isham. The emotions that manifested when the giantess ate Peana are very intense and well written ... so much that I cried in front of the cell phone xd. My mom asked me what was wrong with me and I told her that nothing was a story I was reading. I think it would be sacrilege to alter the personality of a character like that. But for that to not happen without a doubt you have to know the opinion of the creator.
3-Although I am a novice writer I would like you to criticize my story constructively. What is missing to be considered a Felarya story with "quality" and for this the community is needed. But when one begins to write for a verse there are always doubts (at least for me) What will others think of my story? Am I not pretending too much? Will I not screw up the verse with this story? Who can help me define whether my story is poorly written and does not match with this style of writing or with the style of story that is expected in the verse? These are doubts that I would like the community to clarify for me.
I think the work is for users who like this content and nothing else. If we create content that everyone enjoys we should feel good about ourselves after all there is no better feeling than when a user supports you, likes you, comments ... and honestly I did it thinking about that goal. That is what I think Felarya is going to be destined for as a means of entertainment, leisure, reflection ... and happiness.
We life in a world that is cruel with us, tinies. But one day we will normal again and then we will be free of this nightmare.
kenrios
New to the forum

Previous

Return to Karbo's City