How would Warhammer 40k Space Marines fare in Felarya?

Karbo's fans goes here!

Moderator: Karbo

Re: How would Warhammer 40k Space Marines fare in Felarya?

Postby Ruler101 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:29 pm

It would boil down to this. The Space Marines would try to kill everything that's not human, all the humans who like "xenos scum", kill a LOT of innocent people (Probably trample on some babies, and rip some little girl's heads off for shits and giggles) eventually lose due to their incredibly tenous grasp of tactics, (And shitting their pants now that they can't consult the astartes if they're Ultramarines) then kill each other because everything has to be uber grimdark.
Ruler101
Been posting for a bit

Postby SputnikDX » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:31 am

Glad this thread has continued to thrive. It's not exactly still completely on track, but...

deathknight wrote:why won't this thread be locked and just die already. It boils down to this, Felarya is an overblown world where anything giant and/or cute wins and anything tiny can go suck it and Warhammer 40k is only with war with tyranids death and with life sucking. End of story lets move on now and clsoe the topic

Discussion has remained civil throughout. Why lock a thread people are talking in? No one is getting their feelings hurt here.

Thank you rcs619 for coming into the thread and giving us a bit of of more Felarya info that I'm sure a lot of us who haven't looked farther than Karbo's tomes didn't have before.

As for your comment on a giantess kick/stomp, I honestly don't know. I'm sure there's a source out there that shows exactly how many tons of force Power Armor can absorb (which I'm sure is a lot). I think surviving a total punt is feasible, but a stomp would be impossible. I think a more concerning result of getting punted wouldn't be the blunt force, but the likely mile long trip you're about to take.
SputnikDX
Participator

Postby Bright » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Being punted out of the forest would count as surviving no?
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby GenocideHeart » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Space Marine armor can survive a 5-kilometer uncontrolled fall with minor damage, and the Marine inside will survive. At the speed it'd hit the ground at after that, even water is like a titanium wall.

A giantess's stomp will do nothing unless said giantess is made of adamantium and denser than granite. She'll just hurt her foot, and the Marine will have a ringing in his ears, and not much else. There's been reported cases of Marines getting stepped on by Ork Gargants, or even by their own Imperator-class Titans (basically castles on walker legs) and surviving, although they did get severely damaged by that, given the size, weight in the hundreds of thousands of tons of those things, and the fact they're made of metal, not flesh...

Yes, they're that tough. They have to be because they usually get hit HARDER than that. Hell, Ork Waaaaaghs think nothing of meteor strikes as preemptive attacks on humans.

In fact, the biggest problem with Space Marine armor is that it's airtight (so they can survive inside a stomach just fine), basically indigestible (it takes some of the most acidic and virulent substances in the universe to damage it, and we're talking acidic stuff that can eat through the ground all the way to bedrock) and nearly impossible to crack without excessive force. A Marine can simply wait it out in a belly until the giant predator has to go potty, and exit THAT way.

Mind, that'd be very unpleasant for the predator in question... talk about a literal pain in the ass. XD

In short, their ability to survive isn't in question. Just their ability to do damage. Personally, I'd figure that the locals would learn they're not edible, or tasty for that matter (Space Marines have replaced so much of their body with synthetic crap I'm not even sure they'd be edible without the damn armor), and just steer clear of them and avoid conflict. And not ALL Marines are zealots. Generally, they don't start killing xenos willy-nilly unless they've established a base, a supply line and have reported their finds. A Marine squad cut off from HQ will make survival and reestablishing communications its priority, so it won't be aggressive unless directly threatened.

Of course this is Felarya, so someone's gonna get shot at some point for trying to eat them...
GenocideHeart
New to the forum

Postby Filan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:10 pm

the hard part in this fight is we are comparing two things from two settings that are completely and totally powered by the Rule of Cool. Space Marines and Giant Naga both have liberal helpings of plot armor... And when plot armor clashes you get a stalemate.
Elven Captain and Owner of the S.S. Hyperion, Hyperion Class Airship Luxury Liner Converted to Cargo hauler
Finest ship to fly the skies of Earth
Filan
???

Postby zarpaulus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:20 pm

To all the people who say that an Exterminatus wouldn't work on Felarya because viruses are instantly cured.

I remind you that virus bombs are considered obsolete, and that the current preferred weapon for killing planets is the Cyclonic Torpedo. Though it might still be an issue if it has to be shot out of a cannon from orbit.

Also are you forgetting what type of planets space marines are recruited from? Forget Catachan, Fenris for instance has trolls that swallow people and have stomach acid strong enough to dissolve metal in seconds, krakens whose teeth and used to make chain-axes and are probably descended from Tyranids, and then there's the wolves.
Image Yes, that's a seven-foot tall genetically engineered viking in two tons of power armor riding on a wolf strong enough to carry all that.
If the space marines make it back to the Imperium they might want to set up a chapter there.

That said, I suspect that a squad of Catachan Jungle Fighters might survive longer on Felarya than Space Marines, especially if they fragged all their Commissars.
"We've run into scorpions the size of battle tanks, three men died from Eyerot last week, I've sweated enough to fill a lake, my boots just got sucked into a sink-swamp and the trees are so thick in places, you can't squeeze between them. Emperor help me, I love this place! It's just like home!"
— Captain Rock of Catachan, Warhammer 40,000

For one they recognize the value of camouflage.

For another their equipment is much lower maintenance than Space Marine gear, lasguns aren't "flashlights", they're dismembering rayguns that put AK-47s to shame in the durability department.
zarpaulus
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Filan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:21 pm

the big issue is that we have no clue if that torpedo would even work on a world made of who knows what. And even with Felarya being in its own pocket dimension, We honestly have no clue what Negav is capable of doing on its own. To be fair from what I read the WH40K Starships are centuries old and lets face it odds are Negav could blast one from the stars with a magic beam. its not like those ships are exactly in top shape, I imagine Kirk's enterprise could cut one up before the first commercial break.
Elven Captain and Owner of the S.S. Hyperion, Hyperion Class Airship Luxury Liner Converted to Cargo hauler
Finest ship to fly the skies of Earth
Filan
???

Postby Jacquelope » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Filan wrote:the big issue is that we have no clue if that torpedo would even work on a world made of who knows what. And even with Felarya being in its own pocket dimension, We honestly have no clue what Negav is capable of doing on its own. To be fair from what I read the WH40K Starships are centuries old and lets face it odds are Negav could blast one from the stars with a magic beam. its not like those ships are exactly in top shape, I imagine Kirk's enterprise could cut one up before the first commercial break.

It seems pretty clear to me that a cyclonic torpedo's yield is in the Teratons, or even Petatons. The Correctors have absolutely nothing on the Imperium. The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs delivered Teratons of destructive force and it didn't thoroughly burn the Earth like that torpedo did. Felarya's forests and jungle life ain't made of neutronium. A cyclonic torpedo will detonate in Felarya just like anything else detonates, and that means done in one: atmosphere gone and oceans boiled completely away within seconds. The Guardians would have nothing left to guard. Ant, meet boot.

And... Negav against an Imperium ship? Uh, no, not even with their magic. The sheer amount of kinetic or heat energy required to take down one of those "old" ships? I don't see the Magiocrats or the Vishmitals mustering that in a hundred years of work. On the other hand, a 40K warship deals out gigaton level firepower when going by the wimpiest of calcs. There is no interpretation of Negav city that has them repelling firepower of that magnitude. Again, ant meets boot.

But wait! There's the fact that Felarya is but a suped up Catachan. It is not even likely that Exterminatus would be issued on Felarya if the two realms came into contact. My reasoning is this: I doubt the Imperium is that fanatical; and I know for a fact that the Guardians aren't imperialistic, and won't provoke a war with a foreign realm. And let's just say the Vishmitals decide they want to expand their empire into Imperium space. The worst day for Felarya-Imperium relations will come when a handful of Space Marines stomp their way in, clean out the Vishie HQ, call it a day and go home. The Magiocrats might even cut a deal to step aside and let them handle their business with the agreement of minimal collateral damage; after all, the two sides are rivals.

I don't recall Catachan being hit with a gigaton bombardment much less a CT. Basically Felarya becomes, to the Imperium, just another low grade headache world not worth a lot of fuss. Space Marines will come and go, and a new breed of Catachan-style blood knights will set up camp, a few preds will die, a few troops will get eaten (and maybe survive a full tour?), no exterminatus is likely to be issued, and no 40K warships are likely to want to drop by.
Experiment: Will a grenade kill a giant naga by exploding in its belly?
Test #1: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga''s mouth.
Test #2: Inconclusive. Grenade exploded in naga's throat.
Further tests delayed until another live specimen can be acquired.
Jacquelope
???

Postby TootCore » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:47 pm

I don't know if it has already been said, but in case it hasn't, here we go :

" What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object ? "

Answer : All this thread.
TootCore
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby unnoticed » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:55 am

Sorry to be late to the party, has anyone brought up Titans yet?
unnoticed
New to the forum

Postby zarpaulus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:10 pm

unnoticed wrote:Sorry to be late to the party, has anyone brought up Titans yet?

Depends, how big do Felaryan fauna get and are there portals 50 meters wide?
zarpaulus
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby unnoticed » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:48 pm

From my understanding Felaryan preds vary from anywhere between 50 feet to hundreds of feet long/tall. I think the absolute biggest thing that has been shown in Felarya has been Mega Vivian, I don't remember how tall exactly she was, but I'd hazard a guess that she was somewhere between one quarter and half a mile tall.

Titans have a similar scale ratio: Warhound Scout Titans are about 80 feet tall, Reaver Titans are about twice as tall as that, Warlord Titans are around 300-400 feet tall and the extremely rare Emperor-class Warlord Titans can easily top 1000+ feet.

How the Titans would get into Felarya is another story. I know next to nothing about Felaryan lore and as such have no idea if Felaryan portals can even get anywhere near that big.

Now the Imperium probably wouldn't be able to learn how portals even work, much less manipulate them to get a Titan through one. But maybe, just maybe, the forces of Chaos might.

So say any one of the four Gods of Chaos decides to test the mettle of their respective champions, and sends them on a dark crusade to Felarya and gives them the means to get their own Titans there. What then?

Honestly, I think it's a fairly even fight. Felaryan preds are fast and agile whilst Titans are generally slow and cumbersome. Conversely Titans are protected by numerous force fields, void shields, and in the case of Chaos the blessings of whatever Dark Gods they are beholden to.

So one the one hand, if Crisis managed to get the drop on a Titan and somehow managed to get past the shields, you can bet that Titan is going to have it's cockpit peeled open and the unfortunate pilots are going to get eaten.

On the other hand, if the Titan gets Crisis in its sights, at best it's barbecued naga for dinner, at worst she (and everything else within one thousand feet of her) gets completely vaporized.
unnoticed
New to the forum

Postby Avios » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:46 pm

What this thread ought to consider is that Space Marines aren't just super-soldiers in power armour with big guns. The Imperium has more inhabited planets in it's entirety than it has Space Marines in total, and yet they're still the big damn heroes of the day. Because they are not just capable of applying considerable force, they're capable of applying it exactly how it's needed. They're some of the most tactically proficient forces in a galaxy possibly containing the highest violence level of any fictional universe. Space Marines could be deployed with any kind of incalculably vital objective, so they are trained over centuries for any kind of situation. In the Space Marine RPG Deathwatch, for instance, Marines begin play automatically with proficiency with almost every weapon used by the imperium, heavy weapons, combat weapons, grenades, sniper rifles and anything in between.

Therefore, if a squad of marines ended up in Felarya, they might, perhaps, not survive a confrontation with a few good-sized predatory creatures. And this means they wouldn't try it. A squad of marines intending to do some serious purifying would adopt another tactic. Hit and run, bait and ambush, rigging the environment or taking out from long range... I don't know, but they very likely would. It's not like "vastly outnumbered, outgunned and isolated" is a situation the Space Marines don't often find themselves in. They're very good at what they do, and this includes knowing what they should do in the situation they find themselves.

They'd still be vastly outnumbered and outgunned, of course. So any kind of concerted effort by the enemy might well do some serious damage. But it's not just a case of the Emperor's might against big pretty nagas.
"Just by existing outside of my gut, you will never be forgiven. Just by not being mine from the second you first drew breath, you’re judged guilty.”

Stories~
Avios
Been posting for a bit

Postby f4k3n4m3is1234 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:31 pm

On a simple note of Space Marine survival: They can, literally, eat dirt for sustenance, so, you know, food should never be an issue. :P
f4k3n4m3is1234
New to the forum

Previous

Return to Karbo's City