Less and less Felarya stories/writers

Karbo's fans goes here!

Moderator: Karbo

Less and less Felarya stories/writers

Postby sladearanzero » Sat May 19, 2018 8:34 pm

I initially posted this in the wrong forum.
So me it seems that there are a lot less active writers creating stories in Felarya. I’ve tried to find as many stories as I can but over the years it seems a lot of them have disappeared or gone inactive. Also there seems to be less new writers. This makes me sad because Karbo’s characters and the world of Felarya were my introduction to giantess and vore. It seems to me that Frenchsnack and Prinnydood are the only ones left that are still creating stories. I’m wondering if Felarya is falling out of popularity or if people are moving away from writing for Felarya content.

I’m no writer but I’m considering writing my own Felaryan story but I’m not confident in my writing ability and at a minimum would probably need help with editing.

I’m wondering what artists and stories everybody has found and what your thoughts are on what I have talked about.
The ones I have read are Timing2, Ravanak, daiyoukai-sama, and some others that I can’t remember the names for.

Let me know what your thoughts are on what I have posted if you feel like it.
sladearanzero
Been posting for a bit

Re: Less and less Felarya stories/writers

Postby Scrumptious » Sun May 20, 2018 2:43 am

I enjoy Felarya, but I'm not up to speed with everything in that world, and don't see myself having the time or energy to contribute to it.

But how are the stories disappearing. Are they not all in the permanent collection over there?
Scrumptious
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sladearanzero » Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 am

The stories aren’t disappearing it the writers. Besides Frenchsnack and Prinnydood most writers that used to create stories in Felarya haven’t written anything in several years, and I haven’t found many new writers either.
sladearanzero
Been posting for a bit

Postby ArcaneSigil » Mon May 21, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm not entirely up to speed on what Felarya is anyway. I do enjoy the works from Karbo, but I don't quite understand what it is, otherwise I'd give it a shot at writing a Felarya fic.
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby Scrumptious » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm

I also wonder if there's a problem with recruitment, due to somewhat of a lack of a road map.

I've read a story or two here and there, and I've perused the wiki, and I've even purchased a couple of Karbo's comics. However, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to the various stories, other than the comics, which are cute - but don't make the vore enough of a dramatic highlight to make them worth the purchase(IMO-YMMV). I do think that French Snack comes closer, but I have a hard time following the chronology of his stories, even though they're numbered (or possibly because they're numbered in order of writing, rather than order of chronological sequence.

So, I'm interested, and I even created an account on the Felarya forum, but I'm just having a hard time knowing how to find the stuff that I'd like, and allowing myself to be inspired by that.
Scrumptious
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sladearanzero » Thu May 24, 2018 10:24 pm

Yeah it’s hard to find content I like too. As far as an overall timeline or roadmap I think there is not supposed to be one outside of each individual artist/writers own works. It seems that some major events are used as guidelines for what happens when, like the introduction of certain characters that are used across multiple peoples stories or certain events in a character’s life that effects their relationship with another person’s character. For example in Frenchsnack’s stories Isham starts living at Safe Harbor and a couple different authors use that to have Isham appear in their stories. Another is the new developing relationship between Crisis and Jora who both don’t belong to Frenchsnack.
The thing is besides Frenchsnack and some of Prinnydood’s stories, there is no other writers that are advancing the “timeline” or adding characters to the world. The other ones that were stopped writing and their characters mainly live on in Frenchsnack’s stories or a random one off where they make a appearance.
The thing is I don’t think a timeline matters as much unless you are having your story/ characters effect another author/artist. That creates problems of it's own but I think it’s that way to put less restrictions on a person trying to create something that takes place in Felarya.
I rambled on for a bit but I think I said what I wanted to.
sladearanzero
Been posting for a bit

Postby night22 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:50 am

Karbo was one of my biggest entries to vore as well. Unfortunately, I stopped caring for giantess almost immediately, but I stayed for the amazing art. I don't get too attached to a setting or stories either for fetish stuff since with vore it tends to be goofy and die out after a while.
night22
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby longwayofftiff » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:02 pm

From my understanding, Felarya is a world where everything is eating everything it seems. It's all very biological and magickal. Karbo's art is wild too.
I never miss...
longwayofftiff
New to the forum

Postby NeyNey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:50 pm

So can anyone make things in Felarya and utilize Karbo's characters as long as credit is given??
Last edited by NeyNey on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to see me from a new perspective?
NeyNey
Somewhat familiar

Postby French_snack » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:38 am

Hi. If it can help you navigate my Felarya stories, in 2016 I wrote a summary of Milly's story arc, over on deviantArt, referencing the specific stories it contains. I haven't updated it since then, but it may be helpful all the same.

https://www.deviantart.com/frenchsnack/ ... -595995491

I've also done a reference list of all my stories, which indicates which Felaryan stories follow on from which others:

https://aryion.com/g4/view/478067

As for other Felaryan writers, recent stories can be read here, in the group gallery on dA. Admittedly they're not all of equal quality.

https://www.deviantart.com/felarya/gall ... ya-writing

And I'm hoping Wiking will soon continue his written tale of Elli's adventures!

NeyNey wrote:So can anyone make things in Felarya and utilize Karbo's characters as long as credit is given?

It's best to contact him as a courtesy, but yes, Felarya is a very open world for contributors. Some of us (Wiking, Prinny, Nick, me... and previously Globfish, timing2 and Ravana3k when they were still around) cross-reference one another's works and characters, so as to build a more integrated feel for that world and its various story arcs. Events from one writer's stories are sometimes referred to in, and have an impact on, another writer's subsequent stories.
My short stories (210 so far, 211th coming when I have time to write it):
http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=161506
French_snack
???

Postby sladearanzero » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:33 pm

I’ve recently been hooked on Devilnaga’s stories on DA. They are excellent and I am eager to read more.
sladearanzero
Been posting for a bit

Postby French_snack » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:03 pm

sladearanzero wrote:I’ve recently been hooked on Devilnaga’s stories on DA. They are excellent and I am eager to read more.

Yes, Paka's adventures are fun! As are, in his other series, Tallena's desire to eat up her husband's tiny assistants, and tiny Lilly's bold personality.
My short stories (210 so far, 211th coming when I have time to write it):
http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=161506
French_snack
???

Postby MrMetroid » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:05 am

sladearanzero wrote:The stories aren’t disappearing it the writers. Besides Frenchsnack and Prinnydood most writers that used to create stories in Felarya haven’t written anything in several years, and I haven’t found many new writers either.

Yeah, I think the drama with the 'Wem' story put a lotta people off.

For those of you that don't know what I'm referencing, FrenchSnack wrote a story where he killed off one of his leading characters, Calina the neko, and it basically split the community between five types; (A) those who hated it, (B) those who were hurt by it, (C) those who were emotional about it, (D) those who liked it as a twist and (E) those who personally attacked FS over it.

FS eventually retconned the story from his continuity over the conflict but, IMHO, the damage was done; some hated how a founding member got reamed for it, others took it as evidence that progression was at a standstill if new and risky stuff was gonna get hate, and those that stayed seemed to reduce output a lot since then. Or at least that's my take on it.
MrMetroid
Somewhat familiar

Postby EnderDracolich » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 am

MrMetroid wrote:Yeah, I think the drama with the 'Wem' story put a lotta people off.

Well, as a reader. I gotta give my 2 cents. (I'm also a writer, and I am a member of the Felarya community - but I'm taking a stand in defense of a reader's right to enjoy a story without an unpleasant twist)

I just went and read that story for the first time (wasn't in the Felarya community when it was written), and it was VERY out of tone with Felarya. If I had been a fan of Calina and had read that, as a canon story, when it came out... I would have left the Felaya community AND the Vore community entirely.

Some people don't like their beloved protagonists being killed - regardless of it's merits as a form of storytelling - and those people shouldn't be derided. They should be allowed to have spaces and stories that they can enjoy without the fear of having to deal with that kind of stress... and Felarya should be such a space. With a handful of (generally disliked) exceptions, protags don't die in Felarya.

I can see why it would cause people to get upset, and why it would fracture the community.

Felarya is not built around protagonist deaths, nor is it built around shock, horror, or tragedy. So... inserting that kinda content into a Felarya story is gonna have a pretty easily predictable result.

It's like... slipping ghost peppers into somebody's ice cream; if you like spicy food, that might be great, but if you're looking for a sweet treat and get it by surprise, it's gonna be terribly painful and upsetting.

To me, it seems unfair to point fingers at the readers, and say they're responsible for scaring writers into not writing.

The actual writing of that story was equally inadvisable. It doesn't fit the tone of Felarya at all.

So... yeah. If that story and the aftermath had a dampening effect on writing in the community, all parties involved are equally culpable.

Frankly, if you intend to write a story, in an established setting, that deviates strongly from the tone of the setting... just don't. Go write your own setting, and make it clear to potential readers that shocking content might happen. Don't subvert something that already exists, and which other people enjoy.

Your characters are one's own to do with as one wishes... your reader's emotional well-being, however, does not belong to you. You should NEVER intentionally write a work of fiction with the intent to upset and distress your readers by subverting their expectations.

Some people can't handle that kinda stuff very well. Myself included.

I write sad shit. Writing sad shit is fine. But it should be labelled, not wrapped in happy, colorful, lighthearted packaging.

EDIT:

To be clear, I'm not pointing fingers at French Snack.

It's quite clear that hurting people's feeling wasn't his intention with that story.

Perhaps he should have known better, but it was an honest mistake.

But an honest, harmful mistake is still harmful, and it's not fair to point fingers at the readers and say "they acted badly" when the content itself was legitimately shocking and out of tone with the setting.

All parties, perhaps even the community as a whole, are equally culpable.

Not - just - the readers and their reaction.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ArcaneSigil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 am

MrMetroid wrote:
[quote} Frankly, if you intend to write a story, in an established setting, that deviates strongly from the tone of the setting... just don't. Go write your own setting, and make it clear to potential readers that shocking content might happen. Don't subvert something that already exists, and which other people enjoy.

I'm a writer within the MLP community and THIS. This right here. In a lot of my stories, one of my more popular ones in fact, the MANE 6, also known as the MAIN CAST, are brutally mangled and mauled. Does this mean I hate them and want them gone? Oh hell no. Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie are some of my all time Favorite Characters. They shot right up into the Top 10, into slot 5, booting an original fan favorite of LITTERALLY EVERYONE, out of the top ten, Bugs Bunny. That's right... the Mane 6 booted BUGS BUNNY out of my top ten favorites. That said... I have a story in the works... SPOILER ALERT SO STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED OF A SURPRISE... One of the Mane 6 is going to die. Do I want her to die? No. I really don't. Is it going to be permanent? Yes, it is. Am I going to enjoy writing it? You better believe not. I'm writing it for the sake of bringing some extra drama into the story. The main plot seems to be getting away from me, even if I'm remembering what it's about, but it's good to be reminded of what's going on. That said, as MrMetroid says, if you write a story in an established setting, it's better not to. And I do usually do just that. I create my own characters, write my own story, and, if one of said characters becomes a favorite and then DIES... it's for the plot. Does that mean the character in the MLP fic is going to die for the plot? Yes. Will she be coming back when further plot demands? Probably not. I do hope everyone still enjoys the work I do.
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby EnderDracolich » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:39 am

Sorry if my post came across as rude.

I've been very sick lately, and I think it's effecting the tone of my writing.

I'm not trying to dig up burried hatchets or to cause any difficulty for anybody.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby MasterGryph » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:54 am

EnderDracolich wrote:
Felarya is not built around protagonist deaths, nor is it built around shock, horror, or tragedy. So... inserting that kinda content into a Felarya story is gonna have a pretty easily predictable result.

You keep repeating that, but repetition alone won't make it true. I'm afraid you'll need to explain your case more for some of us.

I first stumbled across Felarya and Felarya (anti)fan-content ages ago. Probably within a few years of its creation. Karbo's artwork was good, but giantess wasn't anything special to me. And as I decided to actually look into the setting details, I quickly figured it wasn't for me. What I like about vore is the struggle - the chance of turnabout and escape are spices I enjoy. Not a world where it's not only curbstomps all the time, but reality cheats in favor of the least sympathetic faction so as to not let them learn and grow in positive directions.

My first encounter with Felarya in prose form was a crossover in which the Pokemon anime protagonists stumble into Felyara, run into Crisis the dumb giant monster, and Misty ends up the only human to escape and ends up in an insane asylum. Another story involved scientists working on portal technology and having a young giant naga reach through and eat some people before the portal is forcefully closed. A blatant anti-fanfic had as a protagonist an uber-powerful lightsaber wielding wizard Marty Stu because that was the only kind of person who could avoid being curbstomped by the cosmic horror of a world that can't support its own ecosystem without pulling in sentient prey from other realities. And the stories which gave the Felaryan monster the most development were Writing.com interactives where the monster was alone outside of Felarya, and bonded with someone enough to start rethinking their value system.

Shock, Horror, tragedy, and protagonists dying at the hands of pretty but vapid and unsympathetic monsters has been my understanding of the world from the start.
(Oh, I know the monsters are supposed to be on a similar moral level as the humans. I just can't buy it.)

This is not meant as an insult to French_snack or any of the writers for the core canon. I believe that they're good writers. And that my own experiences that made me more inclined to bounce off the world are irregular.
I also understand why Wem caused such an uproar - it would have been the loss of a good character who'd captured hearts and been lucky enough to last a long time. But EnderDracolich's complaint that it's not what Felaraya is about, and that there was ever a bright package for Wem to conflict with rings hollow to me.
Let us all play fair now, there is no such thing as total invincibility.
MasterGryph
---

Postby C107galaxytachyon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 am

MasterGryph wrote:
EnderDracolich wrote:

You keep repeating that, but repetition alone won't make it true. I'm afraid you'll need to explain your case more for some of us.

I first stumbled across Felarya and Felarya (anti)fan-content ages ago. Probably within a few years of its creation. Karbo's artwork was good, but giantess wasn't anything special to me. And as I decided to actually look into the setting details, I quickly figured it wasn't for me. What I like about vore is the struggle - the chance of turnabout and escape are spices I enjoy. Not a world where it's not only curbstomps all the time, but reality cheats in favor of the least sympathetic faction so as to not let them learn and grow in positive directions.

My first encounter with Felarya in prose form was a crossover in which the Pokemon anime protagonists stumble into Felyara, run into Crisis the dumb giant monster, and Misty ends up the only human to escape and ends up in an insane asylum. Another story involved scientists working on portal technology and having a young giant naga reach through and eat some people before the portal is forcefully closed. A blatant anti-fanfic had as a protagonist an uber-powerful lightsaber wielding wizard Marty Stu because that was the only kind of person who could avoid being curbstomped by the cosmic horror of a world that can't support its own ecosystem without pulling in sentient prey from other realities. And the stories which gave the Felaryan monster the most development were Writing.com interactives where the monster was alone outside of Felarya, and bonded with someone enough to start rethinking their value system.

Shock, Horror, tragedy, and protagonists dying at the hands of pretty but vapid and unsympathetic monsters has been my understanding of the world from the start.
(Oh, I know the monsters are supposed to be on a similar moral level as the humans. I just can't buy it.)

This is not meant as an insult to French_snack or any of the writers for the core canon. I believe that they're good writers. And that my own experiences that made me more inclined to bounce off the world are irregular.
I also understand why Wem caused such an uproar - it would have been the loss of a good character who'd captured hearts and been lucky enough to last a long time. But EnderDracolich's complaint that it's not what Felaraya is about, and that there was ever a bright package for Wem to conflict with rings hollow to me.

I was just gonna say that exact thing: hell, I’d go so far as to say I’ve seen proof such a thing CAN be done in the long running World War Ayralef by Jakethecardsculpter!
https://www.deviantart.com/jakethecards ... -572664183
C107galaxytachyon
Somewhat familiar

Postby EnderDracolich » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:55 pm

MasterGryph wrote:
EnderDracolich wrote:Felarya is not built around protagonist deaths, nor is it built around shock, horror, or tragedy. So... inserting that kinda content into a Felarya story is gonna have a pretty easily predictable result.

You keep repeating that, but repetition alone won't make it true. I'm afraid you'll need to explain your case more for some of us. (*snip*) EnderDracolich's complaint that it's not what Felaraya is about, and that there was ever a bright package for Wem to conflict with rings hollow to me.

Um. Well. I guess that's just based on my experience with the setting.

I've read Karbo's stuff - and I've read a lot of stuff from the communit y- and protagonists dying is basically nonexistent in the setting vast majority of Felarya work I've read.

Karbo never kills off his protagonists. Léa gets put in danger occasionally, sure - but she never actually dies. Nor does Crisis, or Anna, or any other major character. Ditto for the fan stuff I've read: David Dent's Clare stories, for example, don't kill off any major protagonists - and certainly don't do it in a sudden, unexpected way. Nor do any of the stories TheUltimate has written, or any of the stories written by DarkOne, Stabs, or any other long-term writer within the community who I am aware of.

Perhaps I'm overlooking a wealth of tragic stories that exist somewhere.

It's totally possible.

Felarya is an expansive fandom/community.

...but out of the several dozen authors I know, and out of the (probably hundreds) of stories I've read, Wem seems to be an anomaly.

Nobody else has ever - to my knowledge - killed off a major protagonist suddenly and unexpectedly within the Felarya setting. It's certainly not the norm.

Forgive me for employing argumentum ad populum, but also:

I think the fact that the majority of readers were shocked and unhappy with Wem is an indication that the community, in large, doesn't expect that kind of thing to happen. If sudden protag death was what Felarya was about, then most people wouldn't have been angry or hurt by Wem.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby C107galaxytachyon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm

EnderDracolich wrote:
MasterGryph wrote:
EnderDracolich wrote:Felarya is not built around protagonist deaths, nor is it built around shock, horror, or tragedy. So... inserting that kinda content into a Felarya story is gonna have a pretty easily predictable result.

You keep repeating that, but repetition alone won't make it true. I'm afraid you'll need to explain your case more for some of us. (*snip*) EnderDracolich's complaint that it's not what Felaraya is about, and that there was ever a bright package for Wem to conflict with rings hollow to me.

Um. Well. I guess that's just based on my experience with the setting.

I've read Karbo's stuff - and I've read a lot of stuff from the communit y- and protagonists dying is basically nonexistent in the setting vast majority of Felarya work I've read.

Karbo never kills off his protagonists. Léa gets put in danger occasionally, sure - but she never actually dies. Nor does Crisis, or Anna, or any other major character. Ditto for the fan stuff I've read: David Dent's Clare stories, for example, don't kill off any major protagonists - and certainly don't do it in a sudden, unexpected way. Nor do any of the stories TheUltimate has written, or any of the stories written by DarkOne, Stabs, or any other long-term writer within the community who I am aware of.

Perhaps I'm overlooking a wealth of tragic stories that exist somewhere.

It's totally possible.

Felarya is an expansive fandom/community.

...but out of the several dozen authors I know, and out of the (probably hundreds) of stories I've read, Wem seems to be an anomaly.

Nobody else has ever - to my knowledge - killed off a major protagonist suddenly and unexpectedly within the Felarya setting. It's certainly not the norm.

Forgive me for employing argumentum ad populum, but also:

I think the fact that the majority of readers were shocked and unhappy with Wem is an indication that the community, in large, doesn't expect that kind of thing to happen. If sudden protag death was what Felarya was about, then most people wouldn't have been angry or hurt by Wem.

Uh....... excuse me?
Did you not see my prior post, or was my additional discourse there completely unwarranted?
I’d really appreciate just “some” level of acknowledgement here, derisive or not.
C107galaxytachyon
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to Karbo's City