Eka's portal etiquette: Updated! Please read!

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Eka's portal etiquette: Updated! Please read!

Postby Eka » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:07 pm

First: No! We do not tolerant rude people!

You heard it right, we are not xChan or xAwful. As our rule specified, Trolling, harassment, poor language, and general lack of politeness are not tolerated here! If you see behavior that are rude, or otherwise not suitable for a friendly community. We relies on people to report those incidents! It doesn't matter if it is just a forum thread, a comment in the gallery, A private message, in a chat profile, in a story, in a blog. Even though there are no specific rule individually, as a site, we still expect you to behaves in a mature and friendly manner. If you are not sure how to report stuff, just send me a PM. We will review your report and takes measure that are necessary to keep this place fair and friendly to all.

Second: No! This site does NOT do request!

The only time where it is appropriate to request drawing or writing or whatever, is when the artist specifically said they are open for request! And the only method of asking for those request, is to respond exactly as they specified. This site do not have a request section for that reason. It have a Suggestion & inspiration for suggestion and inspiration ONLY. Private message or Gallery comment is NOT appropriate for such a task unless artist specifically allow it.

Third: Stop harassment and inappropriate behavior!

Of course, it is all case to case. We won't promise we will do exactly what you want to do, but will try our best to be fair. However, the key point is: You need to do something about it. You can't exact it to just go away. Ignoring them does not work. It is like the saying, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

If someone is doing something you don't like to you. You are required to ask them to stop. And if you asked them, they are required to grant you this wish! If they don't, they will be removed from this site, fairly plain and simple. Contacting you by external media like IM or e-mail after being told to stop are still considered harassment and we will review more serious cases individually.

Fourth: This site is built for the Contributors!

If, as a contributor, whether you are an artist, writer, whatever, felt that the site is not working well enough for you. Please give us some feedback. I do read every one of them and respond to everyone of them personally.

As for guideline, there are tons and tons and tons of guildlines already! However, if everyone actually care to read them, this notices wouldn't even be necessary! We relies on the good user* to help us boots the bad apples out! The only way to hurt them is if their behavior is bringing them harm! Various other activity, like removing your gallery, posting rant in the blog, are all a good way to relives your frustration, but ultimately, does nothing to help the issue.

Finally: All preferences are Equal!

What fantasy you enjoy do not, I repeat, do not make you a better person. Or a worst person, for that matter. This is a core principle this site have always held, and you, as a member, must uphold this without reserve.
This is not just a suggestion. This is mandatory.


*If you are reading this, you are 90% likely to be one of those.
Last edited by Eka on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Found some new rants somewhere, so adding a list of commonly found rants on this site.
User avatar
Eka
Administrator
 
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Canada
Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Mirukani » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Thank you, Eka. It's sad that this thread is even necessary in the first place, but I've seen far, far too many people as of late forgetting that this site is for the artists and writers first and foremost. People that contribute material to the community being driven out by non-contributer actions simply shouldn't happen. I, personally, haven't gotten any such comments (I blame the fact that I am not a prolific content creator) as some of the other artists and writers on this site have, but I am appalled at some of the thinly-veiled requests and outright hateful vitriol that some viewers have replied with to some of the uploaded content.

Please, people. If we want this community to continue to prosper, etiquette towards the writers and artists is an absolute necessity. The more artists we drive away with disrespectful or aggressive behavior, the more the community as a whole will suffer.


EDIT: I also feel the need to say this, but respect and etiquette is a two-way street. I don't think that just because the Portal was intended for artists and writers should mean that said artists and writers should be allowed to trash-talk their commenters and fans, either. Being a jackass is being a jackass, regardless of whether you're contributing material to the community or not.
User avatar
Mirukani
---
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Midwestern U.S.
Blog: View Blog (38)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby miranda_dragon » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:24 pm

I heartily endorse this event or product.
User avatar
miranda_dragon
Participator
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (157)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Nerva » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Mirukani wrote:EDIT: I also feel the need to say this, but respect and etiquette is a two-way street. I don't think that just because the Portal was intended for artists and writers should mean that said artists and writers should be allowed to trash-talk their commenters and fans, either. Being a jackass is being a jackass, regardless of whether you're contributing material to the community or not.

Not to be a devil's advocate, but as someone who's not a contributor, but tries to remain respectful of others, this is something I believe deserves some emphasis. Just because this site is "centered around artists" doesn't mean that someone who contributes art has carte blanche to do or say whatever they like to those who can't contribute. I've been in communities where that's the case, and been run out of them because an artist took exception to a respectfully-worded negative criticism of mine. If Eka's were to go that way, I'd be out of here in a hurry.

Remember - without an audience to appreciate it, all artwork does is gather dust.
The Pred Thread
My Seeking RP Topic
Towards a Theory and Biology of Kaiju - by D.G. Valdron, inspiration for my kaiju characters
User avatar
Nerva
???
 
Posts: 4217
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: A beach, snacking on nubile young women

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Eka » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Nerva wrote:Not to be a devil's advocate, but as someone who's not a contributor, but tries to remain respectful of others, this is something I believe deserves some emphasis. Just because this site is "centered around artists" doesn't mean that someone who contributes art has carte blanche to do or say whatever they like to those who can't contribute. I've been in communities where that's the case, and been run out of them because an artist took exception to a respectfully-worded negative criticism of mine. If Eka's were to go that way, I'd be out of here in a hurry.

Remember - without an audience to appreciate it, all artwork does is gather dust.


I don't think anything I posted suggest that there are any kind of bias where contributor are on a higher level of existences or something. My critiquing suggestion should have established that already.
User avatar
Eka
Administrator
 
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Canada
Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Nerva » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Eka wrote:I don't think anything I posted suggest that there are any kind of bias where contributor are on a higher level of existences or something. My critiquing suggestion should have established that already.

You realize that, I realize that - the question being, will everyone else realize that unless it's specifically pointed out? Not everyone follows links, after all, even if they should.

Fortunately, because you, Mirukani, and I have pointed it out, and in no uncertain terms, it's a moot issue now.
The Pred Thread
My Seeking RP Topic
Towards a Theory and Biology of Kaiju - by D.G. Valdron, inspiration for my kaiju characters
User avatar
Nerva
???
 
Posts: 4217
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: A beach, snacking on nubile young women

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Eka » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Nerva wrote:You realize that, I realize that - the question being, will everyone else realize that unless it's specifically pointed out? Not everyone follows links, after all, even if they should.


Fairly good point, we will see how other people think on this issue.
User avatar
Eka
Administrator
 
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Canada
Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Ranger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Nerva wrote:
Eka wrote:I don't think anything I posted suggest that there are any kind of bias where contributor are on a higher level of existences or something. My critiquing suggestion should have established that already.

You realize that, I realize that - the question being, will everyone else realize that unless it's specifically pointed out? Not everyone follows links, after all, even if they should.

Fortunately, because you, Mirukani, and I have pointed it out, and in no uncertain terms, it's a moot issue now.


I think it's pretty obvious that "Be nice" means "*Everyone* be nice".
User avatar
Ranger
---
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Mirukani » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Ranger wrote:
Nerva wrote:
Eka wrote:I don't think anything I posted suggest that there are any kind of bias where contributor are on a higher level of existences or something. My critiquing suggestion should have established that already.

You realize that, I realize that - the question being, will everyone else realize that unless it's specifically pointed out? Not everyone follows links, after all, even if they should.

Fortunately, because you, Mirukani, and I have pointed it out, and in no uncertain terms, it's a moot issue now.


I think it's pretty obvious that "Be nice" means "*Everyone* be nice".


You'd be surprised. I've seen some forums that will consistently value a certain type of member more than another, and won't put a stop to bad behavior unless it's someone outside of that type of member being rude - even if the "valued" member was the one that started a fuss in the first place. And they have rules that say "Be Nice" as well. They just don't enforce it on everybody.

Thankfully, Eka isn't the type of admin to let this happen. Even though our "valued" members are the ones who contribute vorish art, they're not above being reprimanded for behavior that is out of line - as Eka has mentioned above.
User avatar
Mirukani
---
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Midwestern U.S.
Blog: View Blog (38)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby M3M » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:19 am

I may not be as active as I should be, and I may be out of the loop for these recent events in question, but there is something that I would like to say to the community - the real community.

There are people out there that hate us. They have nothing better to do on the internet than create drama that shouldn't really exist. It's no surprise that there is an exaggerated hatred of furries. People feed off this as a way mock something they don't understand and/or to make themselves feel better. Schadenfreude, we are all guilty of it. Ever watch the show "Cops" and feel better about yourself? I do. However, while I may not be a fan, I'm not going to spam a furry blog because I don't like it. Everyone has their quirks and that's just fine. As long as what you enjoy doesn't directly or indirectly hurt someone else, then I say, "have at it!" However, the trolls are out there, and they do not share that mindset. They hate, they hurt. Their hobby is trouble and they are good at it. They WANT us to overreact. They want us to lose "the game" if you will. They will register for a site like this only to wreak havoc. Not everyone who is signed up for this site is a vore fan. They want to destroy us from the inside out. If you remember one thing it should be this; taking down artwork, leaving the forum and/or abandoning vore altogether is exactly what they want. If you play their game, they will win. Don't let the trolls win.

Also, changing gears for a moment, I ask the artists to answer this question: Why do you make and post your vore artwork? If you do it because you enjoy showing off your work, they why would you even be bothered by negative comments. If your goal is to improve your artwork, then listen well to anyone actually providing advice, but remember - you can't please everyone. Create the stuff that you like. If you post artwork only because you like positive comments, then you are stroking your ego and you're not a real artist nor will you improve. If I had gotten angry with every art teacher that told me I needed to improve something, I wouldn't have reached professional level skill. It took me a long time to find my style - my voice. The only thing that currently stops me from posting vore artwork is that I have to find an alternate style for vore. I do not wish for my normal style to be recognized. If you're the kind of person that can't accept that, then this whole thread may be directed at you, so listen up.

To those who want "moar!" or would "like to see this!" or find "her/his tits/penis are/is too small!" We are artists, not your own person "beat off" tool. Be grateful you have something to fap to or, better yet, go outside for once. Take this attitude back to xChan, because it is not welcome here. Artist will tell you if they take requests. If they don't, then don't even bother taking your hand off your dick to type. If you think that your going to get what you want, you're wrong. If you really like vore that much, stop with the pointless comments. You are only driving people away, and hurting yourself in the long run since you will have less to fap to. Your dick is an idiot. Think with your head.

That being said, I do support any artist that decides to remove their work. It does, after all, belong to them. I also support anyone who feels the need to leave the community. I myself have yet to post vore work for the reason mentioned previously. However, think about this - does it really make you happier, or does it make the trolls happier? If your life is better without the drama, that's fine. You have the right to be happy. But, does that drama really exist, or does it exist because you let it? Don't worry about that /b/tard that doesn't like you. You're better off than he is. Besides, I estimate that a good 89% of all /b/tards look like the attachment. Are you really going to let that guy get to you?

This may not be directly related to the matter in question, but I still think that what I said needed to be heard. This seemed like the right place and time to say it.
Attachments
btard.jpg
M3M
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Ranger » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:31 am

That image.
Yes.
You win.
User avatar
Ranger
---
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Bannor » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:37 am

8O Uncle Freddy??!
User avatar
Bannor
???
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:39 pm
Location: Wherever the pred who ate me is, USA

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby eatmeplease » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:01 am

I feel a request section would be somewhat useful, actually. People could post requests, and artists could browse the request area and see if anything catches their fancy to draw/write/whatever. Is there a particular reason that this is a bad idea? If so, I'm curious to know why.
User avatar
eatmeplease
---
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Boonsboro, Maryland, USA
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Professor D » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:22 am

Nerva wrote:
Mirukani wrote:EDIT: I also feel the need to say this, but respect and etiquette is a two-way street. I don't think that just because the Portal was intended for artists and writers should mean that said artists and writers should be allowed to trash-talk their commenters and fans, either. Being a jackass is being a jackass, regardless of whether you're contributing material to the community or not.

Not to be a devil's advocate, but as someone who's not a contributor, but tries to remain respectful of others, this is something I believe deserves some emphasis. Just because this site is "centered around artists" doesn't mean that someone who contributes art has carte blanche to do or say whatever they like to those who can't contribute. I've been in communities where that's the case, and been run out of them because an artist took exception to a respectfully-worded negative criticism of mine. If Eka's were to go that way, I'd be out of here in a hurry.

Remember - without an audience to appreciate it, all artwork does is gather dust.
I'm an artist, I'm an artist, suck my diiiiick, I'm an artist!
User avatar
Professor D
New to the forum
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:08 am

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Ranger » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:37 am

eatmeplease wrote:I feel a request section would be somewhat useful, actually. People could post requests, and artists could browse the request area and see if anything catches their fancy to draw/write/whatever. Is there a particular reason that this is a bad idea? If so, I'm curious to know why.


That's what the "Suggestions/Inspirations" section is for.
User avatar
Ranger
---
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Deleteduser_120 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 am

M3M wrote:I may not be as active as I should be, and I may be out of the loop for these recent events in question, but there is something that I would like to say to the community - the real community.

There are people out there that hate us. They have nothing better to do on the internet than create drama that shouldn't really exist. It's no surprise that there is an exaggerated hatred of furries. People feed off this as a way mock something they don't understand and/or to make themselves feel better. Schadenfreude, we are all guilty of it. Ever watch the show "Cops" and feel better about yourself? I do. However, while I may not be a fan, I'm not going to spam a furry blog because I don't like it. Everyone has their quirks and that's just fine. As long as what you enjoy doesn't directly or indirectly hurt someone else, then I say, "have at it!" However, the trolls are out there, and they do not share that mindset. They hate, they hurt. Their hobby is trouble and they are good at it. They WANT us to overreact. They want us to lose "the game" if you will. They will register for a site like this only to wreak havoc. Not everyone who is signed up for this site is a vore fan. They want to destroy us from the inside out. If you remember one thing it should be this; taking down artwork, leaving the forum and/or abandoning vore altogether is exactly what they want. If you play their game, they will win. Don't let the trolls win.

Also, changing gears for a moment, I ask the artists to answer this question: Why do you make and post your vore artwork? If you do it because you enjoy showing off your work, they why would you even be bothered by negative comments. If your goal is to improve your artwork, then listen well to anyone actually providing advice, but remember - you can't please everyone. Create the stuff that you like. If you post artwork only because you like positive comments, then you are stroking your ego and you're not a real artist nor will you improve. If I had gotten angry with every art teacher that told me I needed to improve something, I wouldn't have reached professional level skill. It took me a long time to find my style - my voice. The only thing that currently stops me from posting vore artwork is that I have to find an alternate style for vore. I do not wish for my normal style to be recognized. If you're the kind of person that can't accept that, then this whole thread may be directed at you, so listen up.

To those who want "moar!" or would "like to see this!" or find "her/his tits/penis are/is too small!" We are artists, not your own person "beat off" tool. Be grateful you have something to fap to or, better yet, go outside for once. Take this attitude back to xChan, because it is not welcome here. Artist will tell you if they take requests. If they don't, then don't even bother taking your hand off your dick to type. If you think that your going to get what you want, you're wrong. If you really like vore that much, stop with the pointless comments. You are only driving people away, and hurting yourself in the long run since you will have less to fap to. Your dick is an idiot. Think with your head.

That being said, I do support any artist that decides to remove their work. It does, after all, belong to them. I also support anyone who feels the need to leave the community. I myself have yet to post vore work for the reason mentioned previously. However, think about this - does it really make you happier, or does it make the trolls happier? If your life is better without the drama, that's fine. You have the right to be happy. But, does that drama really exist, or does it exist because you let it? Don't worry about that /b/tard that doesn't like you. You're better off than he is. Besides, I estimate that a good 89% of all /b/tards look like the attachment. Are you really going to let that guy get to you?

This may not be directly related to the matter in question, but I still think that what I said needed to be heard. This seemed like the right place and time to say it.

Well said, mate. If it was possible to agree more, I would gladly do so. The very thing that a number of people who are Vorarephiles (I don't know what percentage of the community exactly) don't seem to get is the very thing you've described - that an artist has the right to take his or her art down or refuse to do requests/commissions whenever they please. I stand by you all the way when you tell that the works an artist produce belong solely to the artist. This is a world in which a majority of the populace outside communities like this will make irrational misconceptions since they're too ignorant and self-indulgent to know any better, which does not take long to spread around in most cases. You ever wondered why women are so sexualized in the media, why so many people are quick to latch onto the personality cults surrounding these so-called 'celebrities', or why a minority of women cry 'sexism' or why a minority, yet higher number of non-whites cry 'racism' at the slightest little thing (at least, in my country this is happening)? Exactly. These assumptions and misconceptions are why many people have repeatedly attacked the Vorarephilia, Furry and Bondage communities that exist all over the Internet - in fact, in my country this nearly resulted in BDSM being criminalized.

I will accept that there are people out there who hate us and don't like what we do. There are still quite a number of people, particularly religious people with more devotion than common sense, who think that any sexual fetishism at all is wrong, and for those who have had painful experiences with the world of fetishism, I can imagine their pain and their reasons for their dislike. People are entitled to their own opinions about any fetish community or anything else for that matter, since the freedom of thought is the most basic human right. Without that, this world would be plunged into the awful, frightening world that is portrayed in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, which not many people know would have been named The Last Man in Europe had the title not been changed at the last minute. But regardless of whether the said people are trolls or not, trying to destroy us, drive away contributors and trying to wreck the confidence of the people who they regard as their enemies is never called for. Because of the anonymity the Internet provides in a majority of websites, it's so, so easy for people to wreak their wrath and then get on with their lives without fear of a reprisal coming their way. It's times like this that I wish all people were forced to divulge their names and addresses like they have to in Egypt so that ISPs could strike off people found to be causing chaos online. But anonymity ensures that our identities, which many of us don't want to share, remain private, as well as act as a tool to improve one's confidence. But it's far too easy a thing to abuse and get away with doing, even though anonymity online is all too precious thing to lose for a great many people.

Let me point out something else. Simply ignoring the offending users does not work, and I know that from experience when several people started harassing me on the game sites I used to play on. I know people hassling you on games sites is far from the same thing as people attacking you simply because they don't like what they see in your work (since it fails to adhere to their personal preferences), but I think you'll understand what I'm getting at. Some offenders will try to use the artist or writer's refusal to respond to their comments to assault them further. In Jidane's case, people even tried to get at her through her Messenger and AIM accounts, some of whom using multiple e-mail addresses. They never held back in the foul, unforgivable abuse they pelted her with, and it's no wonder she snapped and decided to take down her work. If people don't like something they see, then they should try to learn to do it themselves or find something that does fall into their field of personal interest instead of insulting the artist or writer for something that warrants nothing of the sort.

And I will answer the question you presented, even though I write rather than draw. I write my poetry and stories because I wanted to share my fantasies, feelings and miscellaneous visions with others in the case of my poetry. I quite enjoy writing, and put a lot of time and effort into planning and writing my files so that they turn out just right and captivate and enthrall my audience - to the standard I want my files to have before I decide to put them online, that is. I am also looking to improve on my ability in writing stories, given that I made several major mistakes in my writing before joining the community (hence the reason why I like people to comment constructively and find errors and mistakes or things I may have done correctly in my work). Unless I am dealing with other people's characters or settings, I write entirely for myself, though folks are welcome to view and comment if they want to.

I also agree with Mirukani and Nerva. This site in its first form existed only as a gallery allocated specially for Vorarephilic content, and allowed visitors to freely comment on what was posted. While the lack of respect towards artists and writers (particularly the former) is a definite problem around here to name one place where this is happening, this, like they have said, does not grant any artist or writer the right to refuse to tolerate any negative criticism of any kind, forcibly demand that people post comments, plagiarize other people's work, belittle others simply because they've received more feedback or views, or otherwise abuse their viewers or other contributors without a damn good reason to do so. Even though I haven't encountered any of the sorts of problems Jidane has gone through, I feel that this is an issue that needs to be raised and paid more attention - and I will not tolerate abuse like that when it comes my way, it's that simple. The fact is, criticism of one's work should be given respectfully and what is wrong with the image should not involve personal preference, just as most contributors prefer people who praise their work to say why they like it. It's alright to add a side note somewhere in your comment such as 'normally I don't go for this, but' or 'now even though that doesn't swing it for me' like a few have done (myself included) in their comments on certain pictures, but using them to directly insult the creator or those who like the said anomaly is wrong, pure and simple. It's like trying to shove your religious beliefs down everyone else's throats (pun not intended), and saying that all non-believers of your faith should be killed or forcibly converted. I don't like Yaoi or Scat, but what has to be focused on is how the image or story has been written or drawn, if there are any obvious errors, and how it has turned out. I'm happy to let the people who enjoy Yaoi or Coprophilia do so any day, even though they are things I don't wish to have a part in.

Any contributors being driven out by people who don't lift a finger to do so let alone other artists or writers (which has happened a few times) is a sight that no community should ever have to see. I respect the fact that artists may have their own personal reasons for deciding to leave the community, since they are people who have feelings and emotions. Their lives, aside from their art, are, depending on how much time he or she spends on their work, not much different from that of somebody who is not a member of a community of this kind, and how many people stop to think that maybe an artist might not be in the mood to draw, or maybe an artist already has a large number of projects in progress? I will say this again like M3M has said and like I said in my most recent blog - the files that artists/writers produce belongs to the creator(s) of those files, and if necessary, those who commissioned them. It is their right to do with the files as they please, and no member of the community, contributor or not, should ever have a direct influence on that decision.

eatmeplease wrote:I feel a request section would be somewhat useful, actually. People could post requests, and artists could browse the request area and see if anything catches their fancy to draw/write/whatever. Is there a particular reason that this is a bad idea? If so, I'm curious to know why.

This site already has an area like that. The Suggestions and Inspirations area has been on this forum since long before I even heard about this site.
Deleteduser_120
Writer
 
Posts: 3812
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Deathworks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi!

First of all, making it explicit that while the site is foremost for the contributors, they do not have extra rights to harass people was probably a good thing. People may actually incorrectly assume that if they are the "main purpose" of this site, then they stand above the rules.

Secondly, just as with the copyright issue (which is for me personally actually just another aspect of this very issue), I think that a main problem we have is an awareness problem - awareness on part of the victims that they can and should call in the authorities (mods and admins) to get the protection they deserve. There is nothing honorable or courageous to bearing unwarranted and immature attacks until you break. You are not betraying the community or anything as the authorities are part of that community and not some outer force you need to fight. But also awareness on parts of the rest of the community - while the admins can remove an offender, even normal members can make it explicit in their replies and comments that such disrespectful behavior is not welcome here. Since we are talking about great psychological stress, such support can be quite helpful for the victims who get a re-affirmation that this community does not think of them as slaves or worse.

However, as a third point, I want to put forth a word of warning linked to what I just said. While I am all for explicitly supporting fellow members against rudeness and unwarranted attacks, this does not mean you should resort to vengeance and similar retaliation measures. IIRC, it was Nietzsche who put it quite aptly:"If you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you.". Defending the friendly atmosphere here using foul means is meaningless in my opinion, as those very actions meant to defend the community spirit will actually poison it and kill it.

Fourth, I think we need to be a bit careful here not to create any misunderstandings. Personally, I think this is not meant to discourage people whose native tongue is not English - of course there is a danger of being impolite by accident in such cases, but I am sure that those things can be sorted out in a friendly manner, provided everyone involved is interested in such a positive solution. Likewise, unless it is deliberate and obviously unwarranted harassment, I don't think that you will get banned for the first inappropriate comment. People make mistakes, and especially if there are emotions involved (as we have seen concerning childhood classics, or specific character crushes), they may make a comment in a rush they will regret afterwards. Of course, the harm such an unreflected comment may cause may be grim indeed (speaking of personal experience there), yet I think the community as such should accept an apology in such cases. Otherwise, we may end up with an atmosphere of fear where people get nervous about commenting at all for fear of getting (deliberately) misunderstood and maybe denounced. Of course, this should also mean that those prone to such accidents should try their best to avoid such things to repeat themselves - accidents that occur on a regular basis can hardly be called accidents anymore but rather deliberate defiance.

Of course, this is actually a rather complex issue as in its border zone, it involves linguistic details, aspects of sociology, emotions, and perceptions, so that perfectly hard guidelines may be elusive requiring us to aim for a very well-defined concept instead. At least, that is my impression as far as the border zone is concerned.

Answering M3M's question, my art and my sharing it here comes from my love for the characters in it, from a wish to give a little bit back to the communities which have done a lot for me, and also very importantly for me, in the hope of having other people love and care for my characters as well. Thus far, I have not been on the receiving end of abuse.

Deathworks

EDIT: P.S.: I knew I had forgotten something: The issue of the request area is as follows: A request as such is a much stronger obligation, basically a commission without any money being paid. As such, requests are a special offer an artist may make if they choose to do so, but it is not a right for people. This is why we don't have a request area. A suggestion or inspiration, on the other hand, does not come with such a strong obligation. There is no guarantee it will ever find its way into a story or a drawing, and in making that suggestion, you accept that fact. You don't expect people to deliver on your suggestions, but you do expect them to deliver on requests.

And while I am at it, as far as I know, unless you make a contract that states otherwise, the copyright of a commissioned work lies solely by the person commissioning it. In other words, the artist does not have the copyright for the work.
Last edited by Deathworks on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!
 
Posts: 2745
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Germany
Blog: View Blog (16)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Bright » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:24 pm

It is nice to have this thing around, yet, I feel a bit saddened by the fact that we actually need one.
I feel rather saddened that the actions of one or few persons can hurt so many in their quest for self-satisfaction.

(personally I believe it is because of sites like encyclopedia Dramatica that there are prejudiced idiots around.)
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
User avatar
Bright
Heavy user
 
Posts: 12276
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:17 pm
Blog: View Blog (67)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Deathworks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:34 pm

HI!

Personally, I don't think ED and its kin are the main culprit. As others have pointed out, disrespectful behavior actually violates all the rules most of us learned from childhood on. It also violates the rules of most civilized societies. However, the myth of the "lawless internet" has encouraged people to drop all inhibitions and do things they would normally not do. It is that belief that everyone has to entertain them for free and without expecting gratitude or repayment (Pay money for something on the internet? A thought many people find absurd) which fosters such selfish and uncivilized behavior. People see the internet as a paradise, but they forget that such a paradise can only exist if everyone is willing to help preserve it.

So, in my opinion, it is more a problem of a general atmosphere/misunderstanding/misguidance, rather than the actions of just a few sites. (Actually, I think ED is just a response to what has been around beforehand)

Deathworks
User avatar
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!
 
Posts: 2745
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Germany
Blog: View Blog (16)

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby Ihyokin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Thank you, Eka!

You are the bestest website bunny gal ever!

I really can't stand the fact that some people come here for the pure pleasure of harassing others. Its like they have nothing better to do with their lives than pester a group of people with different tastes...

And M3M, how did you get that picture of me?! :lol:
Ihyokin
Intermediate Vorarephile
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:00 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daraxerxes, OmnicidalZero, Vinderex and 11 guests