Eka's portal etiquette

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: Eka's portal etiquette

Postby htfcuddles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Jidane wrote:
Eka wrote:It is a privilege that can be void at anytime.

That.

Same with the art that is contributed, if I dare say so. Too many people don't see that the site and the content are not a given. Sadly, usually one only realizes what they had when it's gone.

It's what I think is the hard part. To get people to be aware of the fact that the service that is this site is a privilege.

My question is... how to enforce and/or making people to know that this site is a privilegie?

I'll put it very simple. When I discovered that my main fetish was vore, was because I discovered Eka's Portal, and when I recovered myself from the incredible surprise of knowing that i wasnt alone, I registered in here.

Is the very first art website in which I've participated, and I think I'll never be enoughly thankful of doing it. Here I've learned my basics about the artistic world in a place with good ambience, with tolerance, respect, etc. And later, here I've learned how to be a decent artist (as person), aside to the normal immaturity of deviantART users and the "omgiluvuandurtheonlyone" attitude that I see on furAffinity, without being attacked or my self esteem destroyed 'cuz my art wasn't so nice.

I've felt that being here was like a refuge, and it felt good. Then I started to slowly open myself, and you can see me now, where most people -on the internet- knows I'm a voraphile, but seeing that not for being "rare" I'd force others to be.

And yes. In 3 years, our fetish has become much more common -or at least people is more open to that-. And Eka is a referral in which vore is.
Isn't intended for underage, but I've noticed that lots of underage visit us, even if they doesn't join. It's a lot like APNGH is for Pokémon yiff.
With more people, less exclusivity, and with less exclusivity, the new users -the ones that discovered internet yesterday,- feel that they have the right to visit all the websites that they want.

I have another idea. Instead of hidden buttons on the TOS, I recommend to make various checkboxes inside of the ToS. And the possible registrant will have to check all of them in order to register. And for offline/disconnected people, I'd suggest to put viewing restrictions. Not forbidding the whole website, of course, but restricting various things that they can see from the outside. And as a collateral effect, people that joined accepting all the rules will understand that being here isn't a right; is a privilegie, and they accepted to do whatever the ToS say, for that.

That would help to discover a new world to incomers, and would keep uninterested people out.

And for what Deathworks suggested about the everyday applicance of the guidelines, I think that an user blocking feature (like dA and fA have) would be awesome, if it already doesnt exists. Also, when you're going to answer -the reply button or the edit button-, if a random suggestion appears in the side up of the text box, something like:

"Suggestion: More flies are catch with honey than with vinegar"

would be a nice detail and could remember us everyday about how to be. Also, those "suggestions" could be suggested by community in a forum thread, and chosen by this website's administration for being added to the tips file.

Those are just a couple of ideas that I had; I know you can suggest something better.

Deathworks wrote:high quality in your creations increases the chances of getting a crowd, but there is no 1:1 correlation between the two. Just think of those insider tips or that one little known restaurant with the best lasagna in the entire state. High quality things can be famous but they do not need to be, and on the other hand, poor quality things can be famous as well (check the movie hit lists of recent years for details on that).

mmm... true.
rawr ♥
htfcuddles
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Bright » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 am

I see that there`s an option for adding friends on this website. Would it be possibly to have such system where one can decide: "Let only friends be able to pm" and/or "Comment on my works."
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Deathworks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:40 am

Hi!

Bright wrote:I see that there`s an option for adding friends on this website. Would it be possibly to have such system where one can decide: "Let only friends be able to pm" and/or "Comment on my works."

Mmmmhhhhhh, I don't know. While I can see the factual benefit of such a feature, it feels somewhat emotionally wrong to me. While it is a rare thing, I sometimes PM members myself to contact them about something they said on the forums or about their drawings. Likewise, I was also contacted by people spontaneous, sometimes about rather unexpected issues, as for instance stumbling across some of my art that is not on Eka's Portal. Thus far, these conversation have been quite interesting and about various topics, not only Portal activity. Having a person become blind and deaf towards anyone they do not know makes me feel somewhat sad.

In addition, as far as artists are concerned, those who want to improve or develop may also be hurt by this measure. While it protects them from inadequate comments, it also means that they always get comments from the same people - which will always have the same views. So, there is little chance to get an alternative view, a new impulse from an expected perspective. And this in turn may lead to stagnation in their development and maybe even frustration as their inspirations get depleted without any fresh food for thought.

Thus, I think that this is a very dangerous tool and people may hurt themselves accidentally believing it is an easy way out.

In general, I don't really see much in the way of automation when dealing with this issue: For a thorough understanding whether there is abuse or not, you need a human mind to read and interpret the comment and its circumstances, so a case by case analysis can't be done computer-based. And all the automated things will also weed out things that would be useful as they can not tell the difference.

Therefore, it is even more important that the members of the community create an atmosphere where people feel safe and even if they get a single inappropriate comment, they will be able to cope with it long enough to get things cleared up by the authorities if need be.

Deathworks
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!

Postby Jidane » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:26 am

D-T wrote:My question is... how to enforce and/or making people to know that this site is a privilegie?

I have no clue. If we knew, I think we wouldn't have this discussion here and we probably wouldn't need those etiquette rules.

As it's been mentioned before, it's hard task, maybe even impossible to "heal" the kinda behaviour people show. Humans are egoistic beings, their own good/needs/preferences come before all. And there's rarely any looking beyond that, which is why writers and artists seem nothing more than machines that produce fap-worthy material en masse.

You can't beat it into people's heads or force them to change their behavior, it won't work. But we're trying to make the community nicer and find a way to prevent this behaviour from getting out of hand, hence all those rules and this thread being put up.
Jidane
Artist

Postby Eka » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 am

It is not really our responsibility to change them. All we are doing here, is to find out a way to deal with those who don't change. It is up to them whether they want to fit in or not.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Mirukani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 am

Eka wrote:Second: No! This site does NOT do request!

I feel this especially needs to be reiterated. I've been seeing a lot of these lately, and I think this thread in general has also been ignored a LOT. It really oughtn't be.
Mirukani
---

Postby Nerva » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 am

Mirukani wrote:I feel this especially needs to be reiterated. I've been seeing a lot of these lately, and I think this thread in general has also been ignored a LOT. It really oughtn't be.

You're not the only one who's been seeing this frequently. It's all over the boards.
Nerva
???

Postby Eka » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:51 am

Please try not to punish people for wording their post poorly, even if ti say "request" if it seem more like an inspiration rather then asking people to draw their specific personal character, it is still acceptable.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Mirukani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 am

Eka wrote:Please try not to punish people for wording their post poorly, even if ti say "request" if it seem more like an inspiration rather then asking people to draw their specific personal character, it is still acceptable.

Poor wording I can understand. But when someone says "Could someone draw _____ eating _____?" it's hard to mistake it for anything other than a true request. And I have been seeing more of those cropping up.
Mirukani
---

Postby Eka » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Perhaps we should defines what qualifies as a request clearly, cause for me I think those are really just very specific suggestion.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Mirukani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Eka wrote:Perhaps we should defines what qualifies as a request clearly, cause for me I think those are really just very specific suggestion.

A wonderful idea! I know of some people who don't work with original characters, and others who will refuse to work with fandom characters.

Personally, I think perhaps suggestions should be kept generalized. For example, "Could someone draw or write something with (character A) as predator?" It leaves it far more open to interpretation, and could be seen as a suggestion, with far many more possible scenarios. Even if another character is suggested as prey, there's still a wide range of scenes, vore types, and preferences that could be included.

If it's worded "Could someone draw (character A) UBing a micro (character B)?" then it becomes far more specific, and I personally would see it as a request. It's a very particular scenario, right down to the type of vore and the preferences involved.

General guide: The more generalized your suggestions, the less likely people will mistake them for requests, even with a slip-up in wording. The more specific you make your suggestions, the more likely people are going to mistake them for requests, even if that's not what you intended.

You may not get what you want, but the only sure way to get what you want is to put in a request to an artist that is accepting them or to commission artwork from an artist that is open.
Mirukani
---

Postby Crimson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:01 pm

I really don't understand people giving bad criticism to artwork. And let me point out that there is clearly a difference between "bad criticism" and "negative constructive criticism".

Constructive would be something like "Nice work, but one thing, perhaps you may want to fix that arm, it looks a bit odd".

Bad criticism would be more like "WTF is that shit, you can't draw for shit. You suck." Of perhaps if you are a more common greifer, you may want to truncate the punctuation from that sentence....and the correct spelling.

Let's face it, it isn't as though drawing is easy. It takes lots of time and effort. I truly admire people who are capable of creating works of art. From a sketch to a full coloured and shaded piece of digital art. I would give lots of things (not anything, that is just lunacy) to be able to draw. If there was one creative thing I wish I could do it is draw.

So, rude people, consider this. With so many artists out there, there is bound to be someone who makes artwork you like. Since this is the case, there is no point complaining that you think that what you are looking at is crap, someone has put time and effort into it to make themselves and other people happy.

Respect that, bro.
Crimson
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby chesse » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:53 am

spongebob is really cool
Last edited by chesse on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chesse
New to the forum

Postby XDDX » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:21 am

There's somethingawful for that :D
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Humbug » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 pm

chesse wrote:I don't understand the rule about nor being like somethingawful? I don't see why we aren't allowed to be rude to people? It's hella fun and it's the internet not elementary school?
Given that this user only registered six days ago and necroed a thread about Portal etiquette asking why we can't be dicks to each other, there's a strong possibility that they're a troll, quite possibly from somethingawful itself. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

That said, I'm going to answer seriously, for other people's sake, if not chesse's: Atmosphere and community. Sure, we could act like this, and yes, people do need to learn to handle rude behavior on the Internet, but who really wants yet another site where everyone's at each other's throats? It can be fun if you're just a passerby, but if you're a regular, it just makes the atmosphere toxic and unpleasant. This is a community, and though we have our factions, there is an atmosphere of decency and coexistence here that you don't find in a lot of places on the Internet. Why wreck that just for "teh lulz?" Sometimes it's nice to take things seriously.

So yeah. Hope that helped put things in perspective for ya. If you are just here to troll, I'm still not sorry that I responded, since my post here can still be relevant for other users.
Humbug
---

Re: Eka's portal etiquette: Updated! Please read!

Postby Eka » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:17 pm

This definitely require a bump due to some recent happening. Please review this carefully as this impact all of us.
Eka
Administrator

Postby TheRUINSCaretaker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Did something inspire this topic to come up, Eka?
Vore in a shellnut.

TheRUINSCaretaker
Somewhat familiar

Postby Queerbert » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 am

Might have been the "incident" with Nerva.
psh nuthin personnel... kid' evil hedghog sayed wile he peed in his moutg.
Queerbert
???

Postby SomeGuy1294 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 am

Queerbert wrote:Might have been the "incident" with Nerva.

Nope. This one was me. All me.

I'm the dumb-ass who screwed up, disturbed the tranquility of our community and inspired Eka to add the new rule.

You can all throw things at me now.
SomeGuy1294
???

Postby Cinquint » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:08 am

There's a new rule? Huh. Maybe I was just using common sense and imagined it was there all along, because the list of rules doesn't look much different to me. < _ >
One of these days, that fish is gonna get what's comin' to 'im.
Cinquint
???

PreviousNext

Return to General Vore Discussion