Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vore

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vore

Postby Queerbert » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 am

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Vorarephilia

Aside from not mentioning full tour and things like that, this is astonishingly accurate.

*insert war drama voice here*

In other words, we've been discovered. This can only mean one of us gave it away. Turn yourself in presently, or we'll confiscate all food and water until you do.

(Or that a psychologist visits this site frequently... Which I somehow doubt.)
psh nuthin personnel... kid' evil hedghog sayed wile he peed in his moutg.
Queerbert
???
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 am

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby 4ofSwords » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 am

Vorarephilia (often misspelled voreaphilia or voraphilia because of their similar pronunciation)


When people say things like this, it always makes me laugh. Or snicker. Or at least gaze blankly at my screen with a passing wry thought.

There's nothing 'official' about vorarephilia versus voraphilia; even getting past combining the latin and greek roots (phagophilia would be much better, but people seem to shirk from saying that out loud), there's no way it would be built out of the verb infinitive. It would be a gerund, like vorandophilia. Eating-love, not to-eat-love. But that's as clumsy as vorarephilia, so if people like to say voraphilia, they should proceed.
Last edited by 4ofSwords on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
4ofSwords
???
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 am
Location: GA

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby TaciturnTiger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 am

It's a bit brief, but it works. Much better than the article currently on Wikipedia in terms of depth, but still a little hands-off in comparison to WikiFur's article. Then again, I think the latter was also copypasta'd from Wikipedia's original vorarephilia article, to a fair extent, though the furries there did throw in their own two cents.
User avatar
TaciturnTiger
Advanced Vorarephile
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Lockport, NY

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Queerbert » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 am

TaciturnTiger wrote:It's a bit brief, but it works. Much better than the article currently on Wikipedia in terms of depth, but still a little hands-off in comparison to WikiFur's article. Then again, I think the latter was also copypasta'd from Wikipedia's original vorarephilia article, to a fair extent, though the furries there did throw in their own two cents.


Well from wf it's to be expected. A huge amount of furries like vore.
psh nuthin personnel... kid' evil hedghog sayed wile he peed in his moutg.
Queerbert
???
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 am

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Marked » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 am

-raises hand as a psychologist in the room-

I actually didn't know about that wikia, so thanks for pointing it out. On a related note, I once edited the wikipedia definition of vorarephilia, then had someone in class quote said definition as part of their project on paraphilias. I was tempted to call plagerism on him, but I didn't want any questions being directed my way.
User avatar
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: California

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Queerbert » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 am

Marked wrote:-raises hand as a psychologist in the room-

I actually didn't know about that wikia, so thanks for pointing it out. On a related note, I once edited the wikipedia definition of vorarephilia, then had someone in class quote said definition as part of their project on paraphilias. I was tempted to call plagerism on him, but I didn't want any questions being directed my way.


That must've been quite awesome for you.
psh nuthin personnel... kid' evil hedghog sayed wile he peed in his moutg.
Queerbert
???
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 am

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby XDDX » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 am

For some reason, every single definition I have ever read about vore left me with a feeling that was a little bit like... no that's not it. I find them all wrong in tiny little ways =P Even the one on here had me shake my head when I read it for the first time :D
User avatar
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:00 pm

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby C-B-A » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 am

I find the Wikipedia definition very accurate, I never read the wikifur one but I don't like furry stuff in any way so I have no reason to go there.

either way vore is different for everyone so no one definition can be 100% spot on.
Regional mad scientist and belly inspector
ImageImage
User avatar
C-B-A
Heavy user
 
Posts: 12270
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 pm
Location: churning around inside Etna's tummy

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Luckless » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 pm

4ofSwords wrote:
Vorarephilia (often misspelled voreaphilia or voraphilia because of their similar pronunciation)


When people say things like this, it always makes me laugh. Or snicker. Or at least gaze blankly at my screen with a passing wry thought.

There's nothing 'official' about vorarephilia versus voraphilia; even getting past combining the latin and greek roots (phagophilia would be much better, but people seem to shirk from saying that out loud), there's no way it would be built out of the verb infinitive. It would be a gerund, like vorandophilia. Eating-love, not to-eat-love. But that's as clumsy as vorarephilia, so if people like to say voraphilia, they should proceed.



What makes me snicker is that the true name for the fetish is phagophilia.

Some one without an academic background didn't want to be referred to as a phaggot and decided to take a latin word and swap in a greek suffix. A silly fix that will ultimately be boiled away once we return to proper terminology.

But deep down he knows what he is.

We're all phaggots.
Now, what my love is, proof hath made you know;
And as my love is sized, my fear is so:
Where love is great, the littlest doubts are fear;
Where little fears grow great, great love grows there.
User avatar
Luckless
Somewhat familiar
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 pm
Location: Foot hills of the Head Lands

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Marked » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 pm

As a gay may, I whole-heartedly approve of being a phaggot. :silly:
User avatar
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: California

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby ryan123 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm

This is actually a direct copy of the Wikipedia article from like 2007.

The Wikipedia article gets changed all the time (it's tiny now), the first time I actually read it, this was what was there, even the pictures are the same.
User avatar
ryan123
Somewhat familiar
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:00 am

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Borealis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm

^ Yeah, I was about to say, I've seen all that text before...
Voyager of canine interiors...

In my story gallery, macro feral and anthro fun awaits you...
User avatar
Borealis
---
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:20 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby ZanexOrious » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:14 pm

*raises hand as another psychologist in the room*

>.> That being said, yeah it's been taken before BUT! I did discuss this sort of thing in my psychology of understanding sex course. I have to say after listening to some of the other students I felt a bit more "normal"...especially after the one who said he had a sexual fetish about leaves crunching. We had a very cool open class XD.
User avatar
ZanexOrious
New to the forum
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Frednurk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:51 am

This feels far more like it was written by a member of the vore community than an actual psychologist. Reads like a beginner's guide to Eka's Portal.
User avatar
Frednurk
Somewhat familiar
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:00 am
Location: ^ In there?

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Marked » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:36 am

ZanexOrious wrote:*raises hand as another psychologist in the room*

>.> That being said, yeah it's been taken before BUT! I did discuss this sort of thing in my psychology of understanding sex course. I have to say after listening to some of the other students I felt a bit more "normal"...especially after the one who said he had a sexual fetish about leaves crunching. We had a very cool open class XD.


Man, I wish I had the opportunity to take a course like that. That's awesome.

And yes, as others have said, I'm betting that the wikia article was written by one or more people who have this fetish. Serious psychology as far as I know hasing really touched vore; being a fantasy fetish, it rarely causes behavioral problems directly.
User avatar
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: California

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby nephilim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 pm

4ofSwords wrote:
Vorarephilia (often misspelled voreaphilia or voraphilia because of their similar pronunciation)


When people say things like this, it always makes me laugh. Or snicker. Or at least gaze blankly at my screen with a passing wry thought.

There's nothing 'official' about vorarephilia versus voraphilia; even getting past combining the latin and greek roots (phagophilia would be much better, but people seem to shirk from saying that out loud), there's no way it would be built out of the verb infinitive. It would be a gerund, like vorandophilia. Eating-love, not to-eat-love. But that's as clumsy as vorarephilia, so if people like to say voraphilia, they should proceed.

Vore captures the essence of this fetish so well. It sounds harsh and formidable, and is reminiscent of 'carnivore.' The Latin conjugation for 'to eat' is vorare as well.
The Mistress Of Vore-Erotica
Image
Latest: https://aryion.com/g4/view/381623
Nepphie
Writer and biter.
I like it dark ♥
x.Constitutional Lawyer
User avatar
nephilim
???
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:09 am
Location: Hivemind

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby 4ofSwords » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 pm

nephilim wrote:Vore captures the essence of this fetish so well. It sounds harsh and formidable, and is reminiscent of 'carnivore.' The Latin conjugation for 'to eat' is vorare as well.

Yup! I have no problem with 'vore'. I like the term.

The infinitive is vorare. It's just silly when people correct voraphilia to vorarephila. The infinitive of a verb doesn't nominify it - the gerund does, even in Latin. And if people -are- going to get technical about it, mixing latin and greek roots preclude the conversation getting too far along the line of serious. :)
User avatar
4ofSwords
???
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 am
Location: GA

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby Marked » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

When I say the word out loud, I'm always going to go with voraphilia or voraphile. Vorarephilia sounds clunky to me when spoken out loud, whether or not it is etymologically correct. I've always sided whole-hreatedly with the descriptive side of linguistics, so to me, it is more important how the word is being used by the majority of people than nit-picking over how the word came into use or what its roots are. Vore as a term is so ingrained at this point that it would be extreemly difficult and rather pointless to change it. Besides, as my avatar shows, I have a vested interest in voraphilia over phagophilia :wink:
User avatar
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: California

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby 4ofSwords » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Marked wrote:Besides, as my avatar shows, I have a vested interest in voraphilia over phagophilia :wink:


Holy cow - I never even realized you could read that both ways!
User avatar
4ofSwords
???
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 am
Location: GA

Re: Apparently psychologists are the only ones that "get" vo

Postby XDDX » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:53 pm

4ofSwords wrote:
nephilim wrote:Vore captures the essence of this fetish so well. It sounds harsh and formidable, and is reminiscent of 'carnivore.' The Latin conjugation for 'to eat' is vorare as well.


mixing latin and greek roots preclude the conversation getting too far along the line of serious. :)


=P
User avatar
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:00 pm

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FrillardyWriter, Hoboman, nutritious, Quotesse, Spyvsspy