Vore in Dwarf Fortress?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Vore in Dwarf Fortress?

Postby AzoiumLupus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm

I have searched a long time, and I have been unable to find a vore mod for Dwarf Fortress. If anyone has the knowhow, I know I and others would love to see a vore mod. For those who don't know, Dwarf Fortress is a game about managing a .... Dwarf Fortress (shocking, I know.). You control your Dwarves indirectly by giving them orders, and they will live day to day on their own. What I am more interested in, though, is a vore mod for Adventure mode. I want to be able to eat and be eaten by the wildlife. If you want this to exist, reply here and maybe someone will step up.
AzoiumLupus
New to the forum

Re: Vore in Dwarf Fortress?

Postby Cinquint » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:32 pm

I have sadly, as of yet, found no way of making such a thing, my friend, and I myself have become somewhat of an avid DF modder.

A simple solution (albeit one with its share of extensive game-breaking problems) would be to simply have corpses turn into edible items upon death - however, this makes bone collection and butchery a lost art, and pretty much renders any bone carvers and butchers completely useless.

But I'm afraid that the devouring of living beings is simply not possible... yet.

However, on the wiki, you can find a list of "PowerGoals" for the future of the game.

#89 is decidedly vorish.

"PowerGoal 89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted."
One of these days, that fish is gonna get what's comin' to 'im.
Cinquint
???

Postby Assimilation » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:19 am

The only thing remotely to the effect you might want is if you want to play prey: rename everything, like soil layers and rock types, to be the insides of a digestive tract of some fantastically large beast. But honestly, you'd really have to push it, and I think during world generation you'd still be getting things like "ocean biome" regardless because you can't rename water.

By the by, one of Eka's mods (who I have not seen in a long time), Deathworks, is a Dwarf Fortress player. This I know because I was a major forumite on the DF forums, and for a time Deathworks was too. I'm very surprised that he maintained the same online persona on a non-fetish website--but it's the same avatar, the same name, and the same posting style. He is far braver than me, who keeps these spheres separate.

Edit: Also, if you're into rip and tear, you can mod so that dwarves can skill up their Biting and focus on that as their attack. I actually *never* played Adventure mode even though I've been on and off with the game's development for about 7 years now since I'm a management game junkie, but from what I have picked up over the years, you can choose what specific unarmed attack you're making when you get into a fight.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby AzoiumLupus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 am

Couldn't you take the source and rewrite the engine? Or find some kind of workaround?
AzoiumLupus
New to the forum

Postby dflr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:07 am

AzoiumLupus wrote:Couldn't you take the source and rewrite the engine? Or find some kind of workaround?

Yeah right. It's not open source software. The best that could be done is find an effect which is already present and then rename or modify it so that it has the desired effect.

There's always the option of building a man-eating statue, but if you're into adventure mode then that probably wouldn't be up your alley.
dflr
Been posting for a bit

Postby Assimilation » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:27 am

AzoiumLupus wrote:Couldn't you take the source and rewrite the engine? Or find some kind of workaround?

The source is closed off, and honestly even if it were open, it's accordingly a labyrinth of outdated decades-old C++ code that would be a monumentous task to rewrite. Modding in Dwarf Fortress involves his procedural generation system that involves looking through appropriately placed text files that have the correct tags in brackets, like [LAYER_TYPE:SOIL] and things to that nature. The reason I mention how it works like this is because the modding affects things but not actions. You can add in, change, and take away creatures, layers, furniture, workshops, weapons, body parts, jobs, and other things of that nature--and you can add smelter reactions and other various functions tied to those types of workshops. But you can't change fundamental mechanics like how NPCs path (which is a modified version of A*, for anyone who's curious) or how water fills up tiles or how caravan traders make deals for next season or, relevant to you, how living creatures interact with other living creatures.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Cinquint » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:40 am

Assimilation wrote:

The source is closed off, and honestly even if it were open, it's accordingly a labyrinth of outdated decades-old C++ code that would be a monumentous task to rewrite. Modding in Dwarf Fortress involves his procedural generation system that involves looking through appropriately placed text files that have the correct tags in brackets, like [LAYER_TYPE:SOIL] and things to that nature. The reason I mention how it works like this is because the modding affects things but not actions. You can add in, change, and take away creatures, layers, furniture, workshops, weapons, body parts, jobs, and other things of that nature--and you can add smelter reactions and other various functions tied to those types of workshops. But you can't change fundamental mechanics like how NPCs path (which is a modified version of A*, for anyone who's curious) or how water fills up tiles or how caravan traders make deals for next season or, relevant to you, how living creatures interact with other living creatures.

Though just to clarify, there are -some- interactions which can be modded, but not many. Mostly things like the ability to breathe fire, or raise things from the dead. Nothing too spectacular or interesting, and again, these interactions are bound to things, not what actually goes on in the game. We make the pieces, the game makes the board and the rules.
Cinquint
???

Postby TheRUINSCaretaker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:32 am

dflr wrote:

Yeah right. It's not open source software. The best that could be done is find an effect which is already present and then rename or modify it so that it has the desired effect.

There's always the option of building a man-eating statue, but if you're into adventure mode then that probably wouldn't be up your alley.

To think. I'm not even on the DF forums, and such a brilliant, Dwarven idea is born. A man-eating statue. Seriously. I'd love to see this happen. Urist McMason needs a better project, masterwork Gold Statues aren't enough to stop those damned goblins.
Vore in a shellnut.

TheRUINSCaretaker
Somewhat familiar

Postby Cinquint » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:56 am

TheRUINSCaretaker wrote:To think. I'm not even on the DF forums, and such a brilliant, Dwarven idea is born. A man-eating statue. Seriously. I'd love to see this happen. Urist McMason needs a better project, masterwork Gold Statues aren't enough to stop those damned goblins.

We must construct a man-eating statue of sacrifice. Blood is not enough anymore; Armok demands FLESH!!!
Cinquint
???

Postby RexMundi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:51 am

Welp, seems you guys beat me to the building that kills dwarves idea.
Nice to see more players on other fourms!
RexMundi
Been posting for a bit

Postby TheRUINSCaretaker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:59 am

Atrast Vala, comrade. We shall make a glorious mountainhall and make it the Dwarf Voretress.
Vore in a shellnut.

TheRUINSCaretaker
Somewhat familiar

Postby Cinquint » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Now, in the depths of the statue, would there be water, lava, smoothed stone, or upright spears and menacing spikes? Hmm...

...Or a pissed off GCS?
Cinquint
???

Postby TheRUINSCaretaker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Cinquint wrote:Now, in the depths of the statue, would there be water, lava, smoothed stone, or upright spears and menacing spikes? Hmm...

...Or a pissed off GCS?

Pissed off GCS. Which would eat them too. Stuck on Menacing Spikes.
Vore in a shellnut.

TheRUINSCaretaker
Somewhat familiar

Postby night22 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Don't elephants eat dwarves?
night22
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby TheRUINSCaretaker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:52 pm

night22 wrote:Don't elephants eat dwarves?

Only in Boatmurdered. Hippos do too!
Vore in a shellnut.

TheRUINSCaretaker
Somewhat familiar

Postby vahization12 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:45 am

I once made an almost decent vore mod for dwarf fortress that used a very round-about way of simulating vore.

One of the few things that could be edited were the abilities, such as fire-breathing and the like, so I created an ability to swallow. It would be used on a creature, and print out some relatively detailed descriptions that were different depending on whether it you were the pred, prey, or an onlooker, and I made different ones for different creatures too.

Now what this would actually do, is transform the creature on the receiving end into a custom 'prey' creature, similar to how werebeast transformations worked. the prey creature could not see, and had a body heat higher than its flesh's melting point, resulting in a slowly melting creature that would crawl around blindly, leaving a trail of digesting meat behind, which it could examine by memory. when you were playing as the prey, it took a little imagination, but you could pretend that you were navigating blindly within a predator. As the pred, you had to pretend the prey you were watching was inside you, and not wandering on the ground.
It was a little gory, but that's how I liked it.

The problems are, that monsters would always use the ability instantly, and there was no way of resisting it, or giving it a chance to fail. In addition, I think i remember that the monsters would continue to fight you after swallowing you, but I might have fixed that, i don't remember.
So it was fun for just going out with the intent of voring or being vored, but not that good for an actual campaign.

Sadly, I had built it from a version with mods already installed in some archaic, barely compatible mish-mash, since i had only made it for myself, and didn't think of sharing it with anyone else. And even worse, I've lost that version now.

The mod fair bit of work for a product that I wasn't that happy with, and honestly, i think it was only barely better to play, than it was to read the descriptions alone.

I don't think I'll re-build it, but perhaps someone else will take my idea and do something more with it, I give full permission for that.
vahization12
New to the forum

Postby ArgobargSoup » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 am

I remember seein' a "Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom" mod, that had Yoshis (and some other monsters) that could eat things, live or dead.

Code-wise, I think it was some interaction that turned the target critter inta a new critter/thing made of "spit" that would almost immediately evaporate and disappear.
I be fulla sharp things.
ArgobargSoup
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to General Vore Discussion