Most Popular on Ekas Portal?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Most Popular on Ekas Portal?

Postby granblue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:16 pm

I can't seem to find a way to sort by popularity, and I'm curious. In terms of viewcount, what's the most popular image you've ever seen on Ekas Portal? Which user has the most page views?
granblue
Participator

Re: Most Popular on Ekas Portal?

Postby Paradox » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:30 pm

I dont think there is an option to search for that.
Also sorting by Popularity is not something i encourage either.
Not because i am one of the better or worse artists, but moreover because favs and comments on pictures/stories are rather defined by how much an Artist is known around here.

Some are posting items for years by now and have like 1000 watchers.
They easily get 100 favs in a few hours, no matter if its a painting worth of Michelangelo style or a 10 mintue scribble.

Others may also be pro artists of same league but barely get over 20 cause no one knows them.
I see a lil danger in the fact that everyone would start sorting by popularity and miss out good quality, just cause it aint known as much. Just my opinion though.
You're welcome to visit my Gallery here on Ekas :3
(just click on the dancing girl)
Paradox
---

Postby Gendor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Quite agree with Paradox. Numbers don't mean anything, if a hundred people watch and do not comment on something it's impossible to say if it is popular, and disagreeing voices can quickly find themselves on the wrong side of a PM from the staff.

The numbers can even be fudged by a snowballing effect, and false/unavailable tags or links with less description.
Last edited by Gendor on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
Gendor
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Nxtguystories » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Probaby Natsumemetalsonic he has about 18.5 million total views
Nxtguystories
Been posting for a bit

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Terrible metric.

I think I get quite a few views for only making stories but some of the best stuff here gets way less attention. Especially writers I consider my betters.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby granblue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm not trying to find the BEST artwork on Eka's. I'm just curious which one has the most views.
granblue
Participator

Postby cryohydra » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:10 pm

I think they mean they want to know what picture has been seen by the most people.
cryohydra
New to the forum

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 pm

cryohydra wrote:I think they mean they want to know what picture has been seen by the most people.

That's not even possible to tell since the views aren't independent viewers. If I load a pic twice that's two views not two people.

granblue wrote:I'm not trying to find the BEST artwork on Eka's. I'm just curious which one has the most views.

Similarly impossible. Google and other search engine bot indexing inflates the view counts so you can't really tell how many times something has been viewed either.

I've noticed on posting a story about 12 views pop up out of nowhere near instantly. I'd wager that's google.

After that being linked to outside of this site seems to pump that number as well.

Favorites is the best estimation of popularity. Those are independent.

On stories not so much since people seem to use the favorite system to bookmark stories to read.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby Ghrelin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:19 pm

yeah, i think favorites is probably the safest way to judge actual popularity. though even with artificial inflation of numbers, views still count for something. they're just harder to measure.
Ghrelin
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Osmosis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:46 am

I know this thread is old but for the love of god please add sort by Favorites. It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest it doesn't make a diffrence. This is why everyone uses FA. They have a sort by favorites and it makes finding good stuff really easy.
Osmosis
New to the forum

Postby Jaxed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:23 am

My money is on Karbo's works being the most well circulated.
Jaxed
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 am

Osmosis wrote:I know this thread is old but for the love of god please add sort by Favorites. It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest it doesn't make a diffrence. This is why everyone uses FA. They have a sort by favorites and it makes finding good stuff really easy.

Where do you think those favorites come from though?

People who sift through all the content to find good stuff.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Might make things easy for YOU but others are still in effect curating content...

*shrug* I'm not entirely opposed but that's also likely because I have a decent following and that system would make it harder to discover newcomers unlike me.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby Osmosis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 am

Are you a gamer? I ask because if you ever used moddb you'll be very thankful for that sort by popular/ratings/downloads feature considering just how much is archived on that server. Furthermore the reason Google is so good and finding what you want is also due to statistics. It's not a chicken and egg situation. simply display the list according to number of favorites. It will makes things easier for everyone. Otherwise why have favorites to begin with.
Osmosis
New to the forum

Postby Eznam » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Paradox wrote:I dont think there is an option to search for that.
Also sorting by Popularity is not something i encourage either.
Not because i am one of the better or worse artists, but moreover because favs and comments on pictures/stories are rather defined by how much an Artist is known around here.

Some are posting items for years by now and have like 1000 watchers.
They easily get 100 favs in a few hours, no matter if its a painting worth of Michelangelo style or a 10 mintue scribble.

Others may also be pro artists of same league but barely get over 20 cause no one knows them.
I see a lil danger in the fact that everyone would start sorting by popularity and miss out good quality, just cause it aint known as much. Just my opinion though.

If they added the option to downvote, we could actually get the shitty artists off the top of the list and then we wouldn't have that problem.
Eznam
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Osmosis wrote:Are you a gamer? I ask because if you ever used moddb you'll be very thankful for that sort by popular/ratings/downloads feature considering just how much is archived on that server. Furthermore the reason Google is so good and finding what you want is also due to statistics. It's not a chicken and egg situation. simply display the list according to number of favorites. It will makes things easier for everyone. Otherwise why have favorites to begin with.

tl;dr;
A simple sort by favorites/views is a laughable metric to call "statistical" if something as complex as google is your example.

Long version:

I'm an avid user of the nexus mod sites. And once again I posit to you.

Where do the endorsements/ratings/downloads come from? Do they materialize from nowhere?

They come from people who sift through the newest additions and rate them. And yes I go through what's added each week, mark things I want to try and then endorse them if they're good.

That is where a good part of the upvotes/favorites/ratings/downloads come from. It is not difficult to understand.

You're promoting a feature that is convenient for people who don't have the willingness/time to do that, which isn't a bad thing. I'm not against it, but it can promote established creators. It's just a fact. Refute that or admit it.

Already with our system of watching here favorites pile up on the more established creators while lesser known ones go more unnoticed. Here I'll demonstrate:

https://aryion.com/g4/view/278494
https://aryion.com/g4/view/437613

These two works are very similar in composition, same angle, same subject matter of tiny vs macro throat shot. I'd argue both illustrators have comparable skill. And they have a similar amount of favorites.

The difference? One was made 3 years ago and the other 2 months ago. Karbo generated the same amount of favorites in 2 months that it took nope to in 3 years.

You can't tell me with a straight face that the top of a simple favorite ranking wouldn't be packed with the same artists day in and day out.

Also how google works has extremely little to do with what you propose. They crawl the web with bots looking for keyword metadata and categorizing based on them, then rank by how many things link to a given site as well. Thereby data that is perceived as more relevant to your query is ranked higher. It's done without human input to the process though, which makes it vulnerable to google bombing where you link to something thousands of times with embedded metadata and suddenly you can put yourself to the top of a particular query. A simple sort by most favorites is putting the square peg in the square hole comparatively and at best tangentially related.

Finally favorites are there to keep track of what you like. Have you not seen your own personal page where you can look through things you've favorited? There is certainly a point to them with or without sorting by them. That's a silly statement.

Lastly I'm not opposed to the feature. Just pointing out possible consequences of it. More complex thought towards it could improve it greatly. Like aging based on time or other weighting metrics, like repeat views, view/favorite ratios or comments multiplied by a coefficient based on individual user comment rates. Y'know actual statistics. But it's laughable to call a simple sort by favorites "statistical". I'm sure I'd profit in the story realm from such a feature which should say something about me offering criticisms of it. There are writers I adore and I far outstrip their statistical performance even though I find their compositions superior.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby Eznam » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 pm

ryanshowseason3 wrote:

I just wanted to say Karbo actually draws colored sketches and lots of vore while Nope draws mostly maw shots and sketches and maybe 1/15 will contain visible vore. It's really not the same situation when one of them is a lazy bastard trying to pump out more content for more consistant views. it's like the Nostalgia Critic VS AVGN basically.
Eznam
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Osmosis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 pm

ryanshowseason3 wrote:
Osmosis wrote:Are you a gamer? I ask because if you ever used moddb you'll be very thankful for that sort by popular/ratings/downloads feature considering just how much is archived on that server. Furthermore the reason Google is so good and finding what you want is also due to statistics. It's not a chicken and egg situation. simply display the list according to number of favorites. It will makes things easier for everyone. Otherwise why have favorites to begin with.

tl;dr;
A simple sort by favorites/views is a laughable metric to call "statistical" if something as complex as google is your example.

Long version:

Where do the endorsements/ratings/downloads come from? Do they materialize from nowhere?

What a silly question that is. Submission with the most faves get to higher on the list.
Osmosis
New to the forum

Postby Zephos » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Osmosis wrote:
ryanshowseason3 wrote:

tl;dr;

Long version:

What a silly question that is. Submission with the most faves get to higher on the list.

Okay. Let's consider a different issue.

This fetish has a high number of niches that appeal to some parts of the community more than other. For example, let's consider post-vore. If you have a general by-all-favorites-on-all-posts-ever list, some of this material for those looking for it--being one of the more divisive niches that it is--will not exactly be on the top of this general list. But what if something like that stands out towards the top? It might be considered one of the greatest arts or stories by number of favorites, but if it does nothing for you--or worse, turns you off, then what's even the point? It might not be a likely scenario, but it's worth pointing out that "top-rated vore images" will eventually contain a mix of things like anal vore or unbirth or something that may work for some--even many, but definitely not all voreaphiles here.

Long story short, a "curated" list of top arts would not only have the effect of giving fewer artists the spotlight they deserve, but unless you're into whatever's specifically towards the top of the list, this top-rated system won't do you any good.

Edit: Admittedly my argument is undermined a bit by the fact that this website already has tag blacklist functionality. It could still be harmful to newcomers who might expect vore to be all oral vore or mawshots and not realize how much falls into this category. It's an interesting discussion though. My gut still says that anonymous crowd-curation isn't the ideal way to find what you will like best. That's the thing about art: It's very subjective and personal what's good and bad to the viewer. It's not like moddb where there's a program or mod with an expected function and people can rate by how well it works.
Last edited by Zephos on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zephos
New to the forum

Postby Osmosis » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 am

All I know is when I look though the galleries on this site I see nothing but garbage. 5 year old style doodles and pixlated videos taken from movies. There are good things on this site but it's hard to find them. FA is not a good site but at least it's easy to find somethnig good on it.
Osmosis
New to the forum

Return to General Vore Discussion