poser alternative

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

poser alternative

Postby vorebunny » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am

Are there any free alternatives to poser?
I used to have poser way back when.
And am unwilling to pay for a current day edition. As I can not afford it lol

Not a big fan of daz . I find its not even half as user friendly as poser.
vorebunny
Somewhat familiar

Re: poser alternative

Postby Saftkeur » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only choices! There's Poser, and there's DAZ Studio. The two of them have a monopoly on the market, since DAZ3D is the primary creator of these figures (and are now making their own file formats just for DS), and the only other file formats are Poser-created.

If you haven't tried the newer version of DS (4.x), it's relatively easy to use, with a lot of its features being explained in-program now. The Pro version - which I believe is still free - also gets a lot closer to the amount of features that Poser has. I'm not sure how much progress Poser has made over the years, to be honest, so if DS is really not an option for you, you might be able to find an older, cheaper version of Poser that still works just as well. Do note that for the newest generation of figures - DAZ3D's Genesis line, which is currently on Genesis 3 - you'll need a special plugin before any of those figures will even load into Poser, since it's a DS-native file format (DSON converter, if I remember correctly).
Fantasy/Fetish artist, specializing in 3D vore, macro/micro, and tongue fetishes.
Gallery - Patreon
Saftkeur
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby polyedit2000 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Hm, I do know that people like hotpocketshogun uses Source Film Maker (SFM) for his shorts. I also know that SFM and Fuse (3d character maker) are on Steam, though it seems that Adobe grabbed Fuse and call it something else, but I think the Fuse version on Steam would technically be the free version.

Hm, Some people are also experimenting with Blender.

Anyway, those two I don't think use the poser format, but they are alternatives to 3d character programs.
polyedit2000
Participator

Postby Saftkeur » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:16 pm

polyedit2000 wrote:Hm, I do know that people like hotpocketshogun uses Source Film Maker (SFM) for his shorts. I also know that SFM and Fuse (3d character maker) are on Steam, though it seems that Adobe grabbed Fuse and call it something else, but I think the Fuse version on Steam would technically be the free version.

Hm, Some people are also experimenting with Blender.

Anyway, those two I don't think use the poser format, but they are alternatives to 3d character programs.

Correct, SFM doesn't use the DAZ/Poser file formats - and are mostly populated with game characters, unless you're intending to model and rig from scratch - but it's good for animation especially, from what I hear. MMD is another in the same vein (just replacing game characters with primarily Vocaloids and anime characters in that case). And Blender is a free open-source modeling/rigging/animating/rendering/physics/game development software, again you'll likely need to model and rig your characters from scratch in this case but it's immensely powerful if you can learn it well.

DAZ/Poser's file formats are proprietary, so you won't have access to any of their figures if you go those other routes (I believe there was an attempt in the past to create a plugin for Blender that could import/convert .cr2 files, but I don't think it ever succeeded). But MMD is relatively easy to use (it's simpler than DS/Poser, and better geared towards animation), and while I haven't used SFM, I believe it's similar. Blender is the opposite, I don't think it's terribly hard to learn but it's definitely a more complex, deep program than Poser or DS. I've used Blender off-and-on for a few years now and there are features in there I've yet to even touch.
Fantasy/Fetish artist, specializing in 3D vore, macro/micro, and tongue fetishes.
Gallery - Patreon
Saftkeur
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Emi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 am

The best free 3D program ever existed is Blender. It's much more complicated than Poser or DAZ, but it really really worth learning. If you learn Blender, your abilities will be unlimited. For example, in Poser or DAZ it will be very hard or even impossible to make a cool same-size vore. Few of Poser or DAZ models have really good mouth interiors. In Blender you can create your own.
ImageImage
Emi
???

Postby fixated1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 am

Blender and Maya (a program I use) are professional grade 3D modeling and animation programs. They require a lot of training and walking in blind will have you staring at an incomprehensible screen full of incomprehensible buttons. There is a steep learning curve. You will have to model, UV unwrap, texture, create blendshape, rig, paint skin weights, add controls, and animate everything by hand.

I've been using Maya for two years and I'm still learning. Yes, you can do amazing things with these programs, but so do Hollywood vfx studios. You'd effectively be learning a whole new trade.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying these programs out. But you should know what you're getting into. If building a model from scratch interests you, get yourself Blender and start looking up YouTube videos.
fixated1
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Emi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:40 am

fixated1 wrote:Blender and Maya (a program I use) are professional grade 3D modeling and animation programs. They require a lot of training and walking in blind will have you staring at an incomprehensible screen full of incomprehensible buttons. There is a steep learning curve. You will have to model, UV unwrap, texture, create blendshape, rig, paint skin weights, add controls, and animate everything by hand.

I've been using Maya for two years and I'm still learning. Yes, you can do amazing things with these programs, but so do Hollywood vfx studios. You'd effectively be learning a whole new trade.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying these programs out. But you should know what you're getting into. If building a model from scratch interests you, get yourself Blender and start looking up YouTube videos.

Agree, this is a long way, but not necessary you must do everything yourself. I mean, modeling, unwrapping etc. There are lots of ready models around to download. Some are free and some are not very expensive. If you have effort and want to create something really cool, there are lots of things already made by someone. This is the way I act. I purchased some very cool models (yes, they were expensive enough), then - updated them and made more characters based on these human models. I never was good in modeling or in unwrapping, I even don't know how to rig characters))) But I'm making cool vore videos. All I need is to know how to animate, that's enough to make something looking better that Poser or DAZ.
All I wanted to say is just - YES, Blender and Maya are complicated, but these DEFINITELY worth learning if you really want to make cool things.

Some example for inspiration:
https://youtu.be/wL2MrZMdNJw
ImageImage
Emi
???

Postby fixated1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:07 am

Maya has a new auto unwrap tool and even an auto rig tool that make the basics a lot easier and faster, but they don't do those interior mouth rigs or blendshapes like you have on your characters.
fixated1
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Emi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 am

fixated1 wrote:Maya has a new auto unwrap tool and even an auto rig tool that make the basics a lot easier and faster, but they don't do those interior mouth rigs or blendshapes like you have on your characters.

I've just started learning Maya about a month ago. I heard much about it and definitely Maya is the best for vore purposes. Blender is cool too, but nothing better than Maya. All mouth morphs you can see in my videos are made with blend shape, not with bones. Most of them already were made by Nikola Dechev - a person who made the base model I use (https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/ha ... del/535021), and some of morphs I added myself. Including the one which turns one character to another and even female to male. This is very useful as long as I always make female and male versions of my videos.
ImageImage
Emi
???

Postby fixated1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Very cool. Well if you would like some tutorial videos, I know some really good ones on youtube. They're in English and they sometimes move fast. I would also be thrilled if you had a question I could answer. I do modeling, unwrapping, rigging, and animating.
fixated1
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Emi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:04 am

fixated1 wrote:Very cool. Well if you would like some tutorial videos, I know some really good ones on youtube. They're in English and they sometimes move fast. I would also be thrilled if you had a question I could answer. I do modeling, unwrapping, rigging, and animating.

I would appreciate much if you give me some links to good Maya tutorials :P Thank you!
I'm now in the very beginning of learning Maya:))) It looks a little bit weird after 3D Max and Blender I worked before:)
ImageImage
Emi
???

Postby Zefiro » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 am

Trust me if I say that blender+gimp+gmic are the best you can wish and even a bit more, I use only these, there are tons of tutorials and these tools are evolving at an incredible speed, also they are open source, which is better than a mere 'free', and therefore there are tons of addons and more tons of tutorials
Zefiro
New to the forum

Postby blergle » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:02 am

If you can find your old copy of Poser, I'd suggest keeping an eye on Renderosity for a sale on upgrading. I picked up the entire latest version, not even an upgrade, for $50 not long ago there, and upgrades from old versions are always cheaper.
blergle
---

Return to General Vore Discussion