Canon or OC?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Canon or OC?

Postby Eyefull » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 pm

A three pronged question that came to me ------E

Do you prefer canon characters or original characters in your vore art?

What about your stories?

Your RPs?

For me, Art is a toss up. Stories I prefer canon characters specifically because I find it easier to visualize. And for RPs I like original characters. Making them, if only for a one and done, is a big part the fun!...gah, too much rhyming.
Sin it to win it!
Eyefull
Participator

Re: Canon or OC?

Postby Humbug » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm a fan of both in art, but in writing, it's almost exclusively OCs because writing canon characters is usually a little off, especially in a vorish context. I don't RP, so that ain't a thing for me, but if I did, it'd probably also be just OCs for the same reason as writing.
Humbug
---

Postby Eyefull » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:48 pm

I agree with your point about canon characters in writing. The out of character moments can be a bit bothersome. I like OC's in writing a lot; I'm just biased towards canon for mental vision reasons.
Sin it to win it!
Eyefull
Participator

Postby manty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:12 pm

I prefer OCs in all of the above. I don´t have a big problem with canon in art, but I find it really off-putting in stories and rp. I haven´t really reflected on why but it´s probably due to what people have already mentioned; established characters acting out of character.
manty
New to the forum

Postby mZmm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm

I cannot stand writing as canon characters. Especially characters I like. It's like pouring bleach all over my childhood. @_@
mZmm
Participator

Postby KingKabal777 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 pm

I'd be a person gestified to say this but... Yes I may not make sense, but I'll write this in.

I go for both, only if it can suit me into what my taste for such are when I can possibly have the opportunity to
put my mentality into specific interests that I'd like to see, like in this artwork made by Goldy-Gry here on
Eka's portal for example (It was probably canon work, but my idea for it was based off of the Warcraft skill
life drain from the Dark Ranger, my OC, and a demon from Warcraft called "The Queen of Suffering", but to
enhance the idea, I wanted to add a demonic and complex interest to it, so I had to look for complex ideas,
but this idea gave a example):

https://aryion.com/g4/view/347680

I've also commissioned a vore work from a deviantart user that's not canon with one of his OCs, but he's
abandoned his account, artist was Castellapocalypse, and his work here is another example of interests, but
my interests are usually on very complex ideas and things and there's only few exceptions where my ideas
might cross the line and someone won't draw it for a commission or it doesn't turn out to be good for a idea
yet.

The work referenced: http://castellapocalypse.deviantart.com ... -553051978

I'm leaning towards a bit of South Park a bit as well in the future that will bring some canon references, since
after rewatching some of it's episodes there's some hard vore and such in it, I'd be glad to go back to late 90s to until
it began to go bad and lose it's quality for vorish taste.

If I could choose between OC or Canon, it'd be very difficult. When I do fan fiction or literature, some of my literature
has soul vore and very low chance hard vore, and my literature is all OC.

When it comes to art, if a series comes in mind, I'm likely to go canon for having commission work done for me.
KingKabal777
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:23 pm

If you asked me that a year ago, I would say OCs only for all forms of vore fun. However.... What can I say? The Devil corrupted me lol.

Ahem anyway, now I say both, I do both, enjoy both and create both in all forms of vore fun, art, stories and roleplay. Sometimes Canon characters have a special touch that OCs don't have, but other times OCs have more freedom and you are not worried about OOC actions or speech. So for me it's mood depentent. For now I am in a canon mood, but flashes of OC come to mind still for that freedom.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby Slayerhero90 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 pm

I don't tend to like canon characters in anything. I always get to being concerned over how the author would feel seeing their characters used for this.
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Ghrelin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:33 pm

i STRONGLY prefer OCs. seeing fan art of characters that i'm not familiar with or fond of just doesn't do anything for me, and even if it's something i like, i can find myself nitpicking details. that's not to say i can't enjoy any fan works, but it has to be a character/fandom that i personally enjoy, portrayed in a way that doesn't seem too out of character. that's hard enough as it is, even more so when you involve something like vore that wouldn't normally apply to most characters anyway. i have noticed, though, that the more i like a fandom/canon character, the more "out of character" the art/writing can be and i'll still enjoy it--if i think it suits the character and it's something i actually want to see. much as i may like some canon characters, doesn't mean i want to see them in a sexual/kinky situation, or specifically in vore. that said, i still prefer a piece involving OCs over a piece of similar quality involving canon characters. overall it's more creative to make and develop one's own characters than to use someone else's, and with OCs i never have to wonder whether it's "believable". ...and as someone who creates a lot of characters and plans to use them in some kind of published work one day, sometimes the thought of "what would the character's creator think if they saw this" hits me with fan works, too. i'm all for people expressing themselves and showing their appreciation/interest, and usually it doesn't bother me, but every now and then it kinda rubs me the wrong way to see people's creations used like that, especially if it's really out of character.
Ghrelin
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sweetladyamy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Original Character, OR Canon Character?

Hmmm...

Fuck choosing between either, I do use both! I meld them together in my literature, in which I speak of their lives and so on.

As far as RP goes, it doesn't bug me if someone uses a Canon as a character, but I tend to go with my own, just simply because I have better control over appearance of my own character.

Now, going back to literature, as far as kinky things go, often the vore aspect is a side story in my fan fiction, not a main concept.

Ninety-four percent of my vore literotica contains very little reference to Canon Characters, unless they're modified or just secondary mentions.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby DoubleOSnake » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 pm

I'm all for OC's and I'm pretty picky about canon characters. Whether it's in writing or art, it kinda breaks my immersion when a canon character waaaay out of character (outside of y'know, eating/being eaten). Same goes for OC/Canon and vice versa. :-D
DoubleOSnake
Participator

Postby MelancholyClownD » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:23 pm

Canon characters are just famous OCs! Seriously, i prefer canon characters for art. Especially, if they're from shows that i loved. I guess, OCs would be much easier to write in the story aspect. Since ya know, OCs could be far more vore centered than a canon character who isn't, unless said canon character can already swallow people then nevermind.
I don't RP at all, so i don't have an answer for that :(
MelancholyClownD
Participator

Postby Jayezox » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 am

I prefer OCs in all the above. I think canon characters work well in the order art>story>RP

For art, canon characters actually work almost as well, if not sometimes even better. They have the benefit of being more recognizable than an OC. It still seems weird seeing a canon character doing something they normally wouldn't do though so OCs are slightly better.

For stories, I prefer OCs because immersion isn't broken from being out of character. Canon characters can work well if the act actually doesn't break their character though. Holo from Spice and Wolf for example actually mentions swallowing her foes and carrying Lawrence in her mouth so I could easily see her being a predator. Another way to not break a character is if a character is vague like Link or any other silent protagonist. They basically act how you want them to act anyway.

For RPs, I haven't done a vore RP before so my opinion is partly theory craft, but I think canon characters are really hard to stay in character well with an impromptu setting. Also, it seems like they are designed for OCs so you can put your own personality into the RP. I have played D&D which is basically the grand dad of all RP and designing your own character is part of the experience.
Jayezox
---

Postby dooley2017 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:06 am

I lean toward OC.
dooley2017
New to the forum

Postby Thatonepred » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:16 am

I haven't done any RPs, so I'll leave that out.

Now, for stories, it depends. I'll read anything I like, but for the most part, I guess OC stuff gets a bit leeway with me. Why? Because most of the Canon stuff I see is from franchises that I'm not invested in. That said, all art is equal in my eyes, so long as it's well done, I really don't care if it's Dragonball, Bloodborne or Doctor Who; if it's good, I'll like it, no matter whether I know the characters or not.

Here's one thing that occured to me though; in Games, like Skyrim, Dark Souls, or even Mass Effect, where one creates the Main Character, do they count as an OC? Especially games like Mass Effect, where a chunk/lot of the backstory is done for you.
Everyone dies. Few live forever. Neither apply to Me.

Consumam ergo sum
Thatonepred
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eyefull » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 am

Thatonepred wrote:Here's one thing that occured to me though; in Games, like Skyrim, Dark Souls, or even Mass Effect, where one creates the Main Character, do they count as an OC? Especially games like Mass Effect, where a chunk/lot of the backstory is done for you.

I'd count Commander Shepard as canon, because they have set voicelines and defined personalities for the different story paths. The others I'd count as OC if being paired with other OCs, and canon if they are specificallly in a scene from their game. Except for their place/role in their home games, they are pretty much a blank slate.

Also, thanks to everyone who responded, and everyone who might respond after I post this. I was/am genuinely curious what people would put as their answer, but I admit I had an ulterior motive. I want to write and post a story sometime in the near-ish future, and I wasn't sure if I should start with canon characters or my own. Based on the responses I've seen, I'll go ahead with my own characters, which is what I was kinda hoping for to begin with.
Sin it to win it!
Eyefull
Participator

Postby coop500 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 am

Yeah overall OCs will probabaly be more popular unless you pick really loved characters like Sonic's Amy or something. I don't hunt for popularity so I don't care much lol.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby deadpoolfan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:31 am

i have nothing against canon, but i always feel guilty when i see/make something. i just can't stop thinking about how i'm pretty much defacing someone elses character in a way it wasn't meant to be seen, just to kind of satisfy myself. it just feels wrong :|
deadpoolfan
---

Return to General Vore Discussion