Questions about roleplaying games

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Questions about roleplaying games

Postby HeyLookItsPatti » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Ok so I was talking to a friend the other day an he told me about a game he was playing online, ( I can't remember the name :s ) basically is was a roleplaying game he had rulebooks and dice and he was playing with other people over IM it made me wonder if anyone has ever done something similar with vore theme? one of the things I liked about it was how one person set the story for the other players and a a lot of their actions were random determined by dice rolls. so yeah has anyone ever tried this or is it too much of a hassle? Thanks for any info!
HeyLookItsPatti
Been posting for a bit

Re: Questions about roleplaying games

Postby granblue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Last edited by granblue on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
granblue
Participator

Postby HereticalTendencies » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:45 pm

What type of game your referring to is a "tabletop role play game".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabletop_ ... aying_game

They're incredibly fun, and I generally see them becoming more and more popular. I do hear rumors and whispers of vore-themed tabletop RPG's groups, but I haven't heard or seen much of them myself. I think part of the problem is, since most TTRPG's are usually done through voice, you have to find a group your comfortable doing ERP with. And for most people doing text roleplay, they seem to just do more free-form, as compared to being structured and "limited" by a game system.

I'd love to see how one would work out, but considering you would need to find a group of 3+ individuals all with similar tastes and such, and most groups already established don't generally advertise open slots, I imagine it would be a bit difficult.
HereticalTendencies
New to the forum

Postby KnightleyPaine » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Tabletop RPGs, such as the very recognizable "Dungeons and Dragons" have always been a staple.

As the one who ran the largest game on this site to date, it largely depends on who you have at the table. It works best with either a stable set of friends who you know will be consistently good for it at specific times, like or in my case, a DM (the guy making the story) who really has a plan for everything (which is a humongous hassle and why I quit it after half a year). It's also very nerdy what with stats and numbers and learning about spells.

If you're a flighty person with the dedication of a squirrel on crack and have a track record of really wanting something for a while, then forgetting about people you've met online and abandoning projects you've started and then acting like they were never a thing, it would be a hassle, yes. Not only that, but every single person who acts as the above in your group will be like a wrench in the works (and if you're the one, then you're that wrench towards everyone else, a terrible person, and you deserve to feel bad). An average campaign that involves weekly meetings usually takes about a year on core rules. We're really talking about just having it on your schedule here.

I'm a big fan personally, so I might be biased if I'd say 'if you like roleplay and RPGs, it's worth a try'. Though if you're trying to get your vore fix with it, I'd advise against obnoxiously shoving your fetish into hobbies and vice versa without some core circle that just happens to click with each other in both preferences and playing habits on a proven basis. If you've had experiences with difficulties matching preferences or play time with individuals, imagine having to do it with 3+ people simultaneously and without fail across months.
KnightleyPaine
Participator

Postby HeyLookItsPatti » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:48 pm

HereticalTendencies wrote: And for most people doing text roleplay, they seem to just do more free-form, as compared to being structured and "limited" by a game system.

Yeah that makes sense. The general idea reminded me of a RP I did with two other people, I played the prey the other played the pred and the third played sort of a moderator between the two of us, it was set in a house and I played a shrunken woman and the pred was normal sized, we each took our turns posting replies to the moderator telling them where we were and what we were doing and he would tell the other anything that the other would find out. for example, at one point the pred was in the room above me and he told me that I could hear footsteps above me. it went on like that until the pred found me then we just role played back and forth like normal. what i really liked about it was that neither of us had complete control of what was happening and it became a game of hide and seek because only the moderator knew where we both were. I can see how the rules might bog it down like you said but I really like the idea of a third party deciding how the story progresses, does that make sense?
HeyLookItsPatti
Been posting for a bit

Postby tst12 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 pm

It's not online anymore, but I once wrote a super duper simple vore game where every character existed in spaces on grid; you could eat anyone standing next to you, but despite taking place on a grid the game was realtime (I could easily make it turn based.)

It was sort of predictable because the rules were so simple and there was no randomness; if I ever have time (after this month) perhaps I'll try to work on something like that.. just as a case study, sound interesting?
tst12
Participator

Postby HereticalTendencies » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 pm

HeyLookItsPatti wrote:
HereticalTendencies wrote: And for most people doing text roleplay, they seem to just do more free-form, as compared to being structured and "limited" by a game system.

Yeah that makes sense. The general idea reminded me of a RP I did with two other people, I played the prey the other played the pred and the third played sort of a moderator between the two of us, it was set in a house and I played a shrunken woman and the pred was normal sized, we each took our turns posting replies to the moderator telling them where we were and what we were doing and he would tell the other anything that the other would find out. for example, at one point the pred was in the room above me and he told me that I could hear footsteps above me. it went on like that until the pred found me then we just role played back and forth like normal. what i really liked about it was that neither of us had complete control of what was happening and it became a game of hide and seek because only the moderator knew where we both were. I can see how the rules might bog it down like you said but I really like the idea of a third party deciding how the story progresses, does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. TTRPG's are fantastic for storytelling BECAUSE its constrained and limited. At its core, TTRPG's are the solution to the "playground pretend escalation" problem, where one kid says "my guy can beat up your guy!" and the other says "nuh-uh! Mines invincible!" and they keep bouncing back and forth trying to one up each other. Having a moderator gives a neutral third party to step in and say "no, your character can only do X, because that makes sense" or "make a roll for it", and it give the collective narrative a greater sense of purpose and structure.

The question becomes how you really implement that in a fetish scenario however. In your example, the "GM", or game master/moderator, became entirely superfluous once you actually found each other. Usually, the players who are not the GM work together in a party to advance the story instead of against each other, so the players and the GM are constantly bouncing back off of each other. I could go on Tabletop theories and analysis forever, but it would be much more quickly summed up by looking up critical role or DnD is for nerds or any other number of RPG groups that have posted their stuff online. It gives you a really good idea of how it works in general, and you could use that to try to figure out how you'd want to try it in a group of your own! If you found the right group of course.
HereticalTendencies
New to the forum

Postby HereticalTendencies » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm

tst12 wrote:It's not online anymore, but I once wrote a super duper simple vore game where every character existed in spaces on grid; you could eat anyone standing next to you, but despite taking place on a grid the game was realtime (I could easily make it turn based.)

It was sort of predictable because the rules were so simple and there was no randomness; if I ever have time (after this month) perhaps I'll try to work on something like that.. just as a case study, sound interesting?

This sounds like a vore video-game as compared to a Table Top Role Playing Game, which the topic is mainly focusing on. Or possibly just a board game?

Regardless, more games is always good!
HereticalTendencies
New to the forum

Postby Aleph-Null » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:28 pm

There have consistently been pen and paper RPGs running in the forums here for years now. You don't have to play these games with voice. There are also rule sets out there that are far more simple than D&D. In my opinion, there are two reasons you don't see more games running.

1: People seem intimidated by the rules, and don't want to learn them.

2: DMing is a lot of work, and many people can not commit the time required.
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Return to General Vore Discussion