Anyone got a Tulpa?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: Anyone got a Tulpa?

Postby EnderDracolich » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 pm

ragnar wrote:
EnderDracolich wrote:Everyone calling it pseudoscience is missing the mark by a long shot. Pseudoscience pretends to be science, it uses fake data and jargon to fool people; belief in Tulpa is an openly supernatural belief that does not make any claim of being scientific. Calling it pseudoscience is like calling belief in God, angels, ghosts, demons, or sorcery pseudoscience. It's categorically incorrect; these are mythological and supernatural beliefs, not pseudoscience.

What are you talking about?
I'm pretty sure people can create their 'tulpas' in their mind, and I'm just as sure that there is nothing magic or supernatural about it. While the exact process hasn't yet been explored and explained in detail by neuroscientists, it is clearly a self-inducted psychic involved, you're just being delusional.
Considering that most people making tulpas tend to have social phobia or, in general, troubles socializing with other people (as they claim they did it for company among other things), it is not unlikely that it might have correlations with schizotypal disorder; a disorder characterized by social anxiety, hallucinations, and magical thinking.

First: I don't take well to being insulted; calling people delusional is an insult. I am mentally healthy, thank you very much. Simply having religious beliefs does not render a person dellusional; if that was the case, 84% of the Earth's population would be diagnosed with clinical delusions. Like it or not, believing in supernatural forces is a commonplace and normal human behavior.

Second: The concept of a Tulpa is taken STRAIGHT from Buddhist mysticism. It is part of the ancient Tibetan Buddhist religion, and within that religion, it is classified as form of Siddhi, which is quite *literally* defined as magic achieved through meditation. Saying it isn't a magic concept is like saying Baptism or Communion (in the Christian faith tradition) aren't magical concepts. Please do your research before you make assertions about culture which you clearly have not studied in any detail.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby granblue » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 pm

The modern, online 'tulpamancy' subculture is extremely far removed from the term's mystical roots. Mostly because the subculture was popularized by 4chan, which is largely secular. Among this group, tulpas seem to generally be regarded as examples of hallucinations brought on by psychotherapy rather than achievements of samadhi or whatever.
granblue
Participator

Postby EnderDracolich » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm

granblue wrote:The modern, online 'tulpamancy' subculture is extremely far removed from the term's mystical roots. Mostly because the subculture was popularized by 4chan, which is largely secular. Among this group, tulpas seem to generally be regarded as examples of hallucinations brought on by psychotherapy rather than achievements of samadhi or whatever.

That is a valid point. The online subculture is indeed disconnected from the Buddhist roots of the term. However, it is always important to remember that there are plenty of modern, online people outside that subculture, some of whom are part of the original tradition that the term comes from. I myself fit into the latter category; while I don't claim to have ever created a Tulpa, I do believe that it's possible in principle, as part of my religious belief system.

I will concede that some of the people who talk about Tulpa online probably ARE indulging in pseudoscience. However, a quick search of the term "Tulpa" on any Neopagan forum will bring up several pages of results where people are trying to create Tulpa in the mystical sense of the word; many of them are indeed part of the online subculture and have no ties to Buddhism. You would be surprised how many Neopagans there are on 4chan; many members of the Alt-Right are pagans, and other 4chan users, both left-wing and right-wing have pagan leanings.

I will retract my blanket statement that ALL 'tulpamancy' is mystical and religious, but I still refuse to accept the blanket statement that it's ALL pseudoscience. That simply isn't the case. Many pagans, Buddhists, and Hindus believe in the creation and existence of Tulpas as magical entities.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 pm

merlovinit wrote:Huh, never heard of Tulpas before until now. It doesn't strike me as particularly dangerous but I still have a strong degree of skepticism about having the ability to see or hear it in a way that is indistinguishable from real audiovisual sensation.

I have experimented with lucid dreaming before, but I get the feeling that lucid dreaming can be somewhat self defeating in the sense that in order to have really satisfying results you need to spend increasing amounts of time and effort to produce the dreams you're most interested in having. All that effort trying to develop your dreaming capabilities can be a distraction from real life.

As for Tulpas, I feel like it might be similar. Maybe I'll screw around with it.

I urge you strongly to research it a LOT before you decide this.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby EvangelineSkypaw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 pm

coop500 wrote:
merlovinit wrote:Huh, never heard of Tulpas before until now. It doesn't strike me as particularly dangerous but I still have a strong degree of skepticism about having the ability to see or hear it in a way that is indistinguishable from real audiovisual sensation.

I have experimented with lucid dreaming before, but I get the feeling that lucid dreaming can be somewhat self defeating in the sense that in order to have really satisfying results you need to spend increasing amounts of time and effort to produce the dreams you're most interested in having. All that effort trying to develop your dreaming capabilities can be a distraction from real life.

As for Tulpas, I feel like it might be similar. Maybe I'll screw around with it.

I don't. People are just fraidy cats~

If it sounds right for you, do it~
Affectionate nomming is so cute~! <3
EvangelineSkypaw
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jayezox » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Why are tulpas being compared to schizophrenia on a website that's centered around something commonly mistaken for cannibalism?

That really needs to be pointed out.
Jayezox
---

Postby granblue » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:54 pm

coop500 wrote:

Tulpas, in the modern basic imaginary friend sense, are not particularly dangerous. I had one myself years ago, until I realized they were merely an illusion.

Guess it depends on how far you take it, though.
granblue
Participator

Postby Aces » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 am

I see a lot of talk but not any in depth explanation or sources as to wtf Tulpa is and how to get one.

I have no idea what is going on on this thread.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby merlovinit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 am

coop500 wrote:

To be honest this sentiment comes off as being very paranoid. Healthy people do not become schizophrenic by imagining things.
merlovinit
Participator

Postby Aces » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tulpas/wiki/faq found some info, I'll just leave this here
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby maraudingmarauder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 am

First thought:

"Don't fuck with your brain, pal! It ain't worth it!"
maraudingmarauder
???

Postby ragnar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:29 am

EnderDracolich wrote:
ragnar wrote:What are you talking about?
I'm pretty sure people can create their 'tulpas' in their mind, and I'm just as sure that there is nothing magic or supernatural about it. While the exact process hasn't yet been explored and explained in detail by neuroscientists, it is clearly a self-inducted psychic involved, you're just being delusional.
Considering that most people making tulpas tend to have social phobia or, in general, troubles socializing with other people (as they claim they did it for company among other things), it is not unlikely that it might have correlations with schizotypal disorder; a disorder characterized by social anxiety, hallucinations, and magical thinking.

First: I don't take well to being insulted; calling people delusional is an insult. I am mentally healthy, thank you very much. Simply having religious beliefs does not render a person dellusional; if that was the case, 84% of the Earth's population would be diagnosed with clinical delusions. Like it or not, believing in supernatural forces is a commonplace and normal human behavior.

Second: The concept of a Tulpa is taken STRAIGHT from Buddhist mysticism. It is part of the ancient Tibetan Buddhist religion, and within that religion, it is classified as form of Siddhi, which is quite *literally* defined as magic achieved through meditation. Saying it isn't a magic concept is like saying Baptism or Communion (in the Christian faith tradition) aren't magical concepts. Please do your research before you make assertions about culture which you clearly have not studied in any detail.

I don't think calling someone who believes a psychic process to be magic in the 21st century 'delusional' is an insult. But most importantly, I'm not mentally healthy, just like about one fifth of the world population by official estimates. Talking about mental illness shouldn't be offensive, while your assumption that it *is* offends people with mental illness, like me.
I'm not saying having religious beliefs makes you delusional; I'm saying believing a phenomenon which is explainable through neuroscience is instead magic, just because the one culture that introduced the term by which we know it to the world believed it to be 'magic' (which is not entirely true since I did do my research), is delusional.
Also there's a difference between spirituality and magical thinking. A religious person may pray for an ill relative to get better soon, and that is normal. Conversely, a parent who denies medical care to its child because he believes prayers are the only thing he needs is not 'normal', he's delusional and hurting his child.
Would you believe schizophrenia to be the mark of a divinity's favour, or that mental illness only comes to sinners as a sign of God's displeasure? I hope not. If you did, you'd be delusional.
And if you believe your tulpa is an actual thinking being separated from you, and not a portion of your subconscious you are not aware of controlling, you're being delusional.
There's a reason we rely on science and not on magic after all. Science gives us working technology and medicine. Science brought us to space, gave us computers, brought us vaccines and amedicines, etc. I don't think you can say the same for magic or religion. That doesn't mean there can't possibly be anything transcendental or supernatural, like souls, an afterlife, a divinity or such; it just means that scientists are more reliable than people with sticks and funny hats.

And last, if you actually read my message, you'll notice I'm not saying tulpas haven't originated as supernatural concepts. I'm saying that there's nothing magic about them, not anymore than there is in multiple personality disorders, hallucinations or hysteria, just to name a few. Can you understand the difference between the two assertions? Because I think I've been VERY clear in my first statement.
ragnar
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:21 am

Jeesh people, all I am saying is do some research, I'm not saying don't do it, chill.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby GeneralUrist » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am

....I just realized that the OP's question just asked about Tulpas in general, nor explicitly relating them to vore. But since we ARE in General Vore Discussion....

Look, I DESPERATELY hope that no-one here is so desperate as to create their own IMAGINARY FRIEND (or whatever you want to call your self-imposed delusion) for the purpose of this fetish.
GeneralUrist
Been posting for a bit

Postby AlluringPredation » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 am

I've read quite a bit about this in the past, and I am unsure of how many capable candidates we have here who could benefit from such a thing. If either you don't have a strong will or you take medication I don't think this is for you.

Might be useful if you're a hermit Monk or if you're a type of person who wants a second opinion about matters.

Also the word delusional has strong negative connotations, expect it to be taken as an insult anytime it is directed at another.
Last edited by AlluringPredation on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discord for artists and those who commission them! https://discord.com/invite/F3UDqqAx53
AlluringPredation
Participator

Postby Miridium » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:33 am

Aces wrote:I see a lot of talk but not any in depth explanation or sources as to wtf Tulpa is and how to get one.

Me neither. Sounds like it's just people wanting to lock others up into some godforsaken asylum straight out of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".
Miridium
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Sideromelane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 am

Miridium wrote:
Aces wrote:I see a lot of talk but not any in depth explanation or sources as to wtf Tulpa is and how to get one.

Me neither. Sounds like it's just people wanting to lock others up into some godforsaken asylum straight out of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

There have been a couple posts linking to how-to pages. I'm just saying it's dangerous, others are saying it's risky, and yet others are saying it's fine, the waters lovely, those sharks are just imaginary.
Sideromelane
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Miridium » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Sideromelane wrote:
Miridium wrote:

There have been a couple posts linking to how-to pages. I'm just saying it's dangerous, others are saying it's risky, and yet others are saying it's fine, the waters lovely, those sharks are just imaginary.

And I think there are way too many people here having a moral panic over what amounts to nothing but the imagination. Not to mention seeing all the quack psychiatrists telling people they're insane is pretty laughable.

Live and let live.
Miridium
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby GeneralUrist » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 pm

AlluringPredation wrote:I've read quite a bit about this in the past, and I am unsure of how many capable candidates we have here who could benefit from such a thing. If either you don't have a strong will or you take medication I don't think this is for you.

Might be useful if you're a hermit Monk or if you're a type of person who wants a second opinion about matters.

Also the word delusional has strong negative connotations, expect it to be taken as an insult anytime it is directed at another.

I'm pretty sure that anyone with a strong enough will to MIND MAGIK an imaginary friend into kinda-existence should also have a strong enough will to not need an imaginary friend.

Monks? Sure, maybe. But general "second opinions"? No. You should not need something as elaborate as this "Tulpa" thing to second-guess yourself.
GeneralUrist
Been posting for a bit

Postby EnderDracolich » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:39 pm

I have retracted this post because it was unnecessarily long, combative, and toxic, and was off topic. I am sorry for all the drama. :(
Last edited by EnderDracolich on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to General Vore Discussion