Semantic Confusion - Fatality v Permavore

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: Semantic Confusion - Fatality v Permavore

Postby Doku » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Celestia wrote:
Latroma wrote:
Humbug wrote:Annnnnd the topic got derailed as usual. God, every time. XD

Generally because people don't actually bother to read the opening post. They see one word in the title, and start foaming at the mouth, which is actually part of why I believe that this word definition problem exists in the first place. There is no attempt at paying attention.

sorry, I wasn't trying to derail the topic. I just wanted to share my thoughts on perma vs fatal and why I'm okay with fatal but not okay with perma. sorry again if my ramblings came across as an attempt to derail the thread, that wasn't my intent. ^^;

To be honest, you're far from the first, and you're far from the most egregious. The topic itself, as soon as the word "Permavore" is mentioned, tends to cause people to immediately move into defense or offense towards permavore itself, which causes topics about related subjects to be inundated with this. It happens a lot. It's forgivable, but ... expected at this point.

jaggedjagd wrote:I was always under the impression perma-vore meant the prey staying permanently inside the pred. Either directly absorbed into the flesh while still conscious or as some sort of extreme case of endosoma. Granted I don't RP so I may not be fully up to snuff on the lingo...

Perhaps it would be useful to rebrand that OC retirement type of perma-vore as another term to avoid confusion? Perma-fatal? Retire-vore?

EDIT: Actually, this is a similar case to the endosoma VS safe vore confusion. The main problem with all this terminology is that there just isn't an absolute authority on what term refers to what. There's always gonna be misunderstandings due to evolution of language. Not much you can do about it.

Re: Perma-endo/Absorption - this is a variety of permavore, yes. It still almost universally relates to character retirement.

Re: Rebranding - I'd considered it in the past, but there are so many terms thrown out at this point, and they tend as others said to be misappropriated quickly and confused that it merely prolongs the inevitable confusion and likely further muddles matter due to quantities. My intent here is both discussion and a firm reminder of the actual meaning, that one is not the other.

Re: Edit - Yes, the two are similar issues. Unfortunately, misunderstandings do occur, and sometimes it is important to remind. The reason that it is stems from the fact that a fair amount of shade can end up thrown in directions it isn't fair or appropriate to throw it at.

EnderDracolich wrote:Ah, semantics! The bane of human interaction since time immemorial. People get words confused; it happens, it doesn't mean that they are stupid, it just means that nobody ever sat down and explain the different to them. This is a fetish site where people just wander in, like myself, and start interacting without knowing all the terms and concepts that the in-group is familiar with. It took me a while to figure out that Endo was different from Soft Vore, so things like this happen all the time. We have the Wiki, but it's not quite the same thing as a proper dictionary of vore terms, and it's descriptive rather than prescriptive, and not everyone uses the terms the same way all the time. Don't get me wrong, I think the confusion is bad, but I don't think there is much that can be done to prevent it from happening. :roll:

The best method to avoid confusion is to educate and discuss for clarity's sake. Given the sheer amount of shade thrown in some directions over this topic, it's valid and worth addressing. Generally, I wouldn't call people stupid around here. Opinionated and prone to feeling their opinion needs to be stated in all situations? Yes, stupid, no.
Doku
Intermediate Vorarephile

Previous

Return to General Vore Discussion