What do you consider to be good tagging culture?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Postby Bright » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Based on personal habits, I consider at least Gender/Gender where Pred/Prey.

Preferable if there is a character or two from a show/anime/series, you have one tag for the series and one for the character.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Re: What do you consider to be good tagging culture?

Postby FutureBellyAche » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Dunno about good, but bad I'd consider something like F/FFFFF. Feel Like M/Multiple or something will do the job way better.
Hard to say for anything general.
FutureBellyAche
Participator

Postby GramzonTheDragon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Names of characters, subject, species (even if it's a human!) genders and their roles if a vore or dom scene, kinks present like oral vore, scat, endo, etc, and for the love of god if there's a dick in it put cock or dick in the tags. Basically make the blacklist actually block out stuff people don't like we dont have to blacklist every variation of "huge cock"
GramzonTheDragon
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zephyr42 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:34 pm

OptimisticDinner wrote:Dunno about good, but bad I'd consider something like F/FFFFF. Feel Like M/Multiple or something will do the job way better.
Hard to say for anything general.

I agree, though maybe have something like F/F and Multiprey in that case. Maybe we should have tags based on how big the pred winds up afterwards.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby pendingdelet205h2n9 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm

What I usually try to do, and like to see others do:

1) The species and gender of both pred and prey
I tend towards 'Female Pred, Male Prey' as two tags rather than Female/Male, since some people don't care about the
gender of one side or the other. Also include the characters names, if they're not original to you, as well as things like
the show or movie they're from.

2) Fetishes
Obviously things like 'anal vore' or 'oral vore', but also things like 'facesitting', 'futanari', 'scat', 'farting' or anything you
think might be divisive in that some people might really like or really dislike it.

3) Content Type
Anything describing the actual type of content, such as 'comic', 'video', 'animation', 'story', or 'writing'. If it's just a
standard drawing, you can probably leave this part out since it's just the default

4) Anything else you can think of
Personally, I'd rather have too many tags than too few, so long as all of them are accurate. Any additional details like
'huge ass', 'bikini', 'glasses', 'drooling', 'upside down'. It's all useful so someone. I'd say just go nuts!
pendingdelet205h2n9
Been posting for a bit

Postby Hellforge27 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Cloak disengage. Lurker mode off.
How about submitting tags in general? I have seen quite a few pieces that have NO tags .-.
Cloak engage. Lurker mode on.
Hellforge27
New to the forum

Postby TheVoreEngineer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Come on, we all know the real answer.
Tag it with everything and make people look at it so they can remove the false tags...
True etiquette right there...

(Please don't do this, there is such a thing that is rumoured around the net, we call it, humor, based on sarcasm)
Come check out my stuff!
The Aussie words man who just keeps coming back apparently.
TheVoreEngineer
Participator

Postby Nekochow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:46 pm

I don't really use the forums, but I'll throw my two cents in because bad tags are a pet peeve:

Bare Minimum, if it's a vore image or story, you should have:

(Gender) Pred
(Gender) Prey
G/G (Using G/GGGGGG is bad form, it's unhelpful when searching, use G/Multiple.)
Scale (same size, macro/micro etc)
type of vore (oral, anal, cock etc)
Character names (if it's from a piece of media, NOT original character names unless they're established or have a full name)
Series the character is from (if they're not OC)

Content that people will look for specifically or try to avoid should be tagged too - digestion, fatal/non-fatal, scat, underage, other fetishes are must-tags.

Don't invent new tags unnecessarily, use "Male Pred" not "boy pred" or "male predator", "digestion" not "digesting" or "digesting prey". Use what's most popular because that will get you the most hits, and make you the easiest to find, don't write out every variation on the same tag you can think of. "Big Breasts" maybe has the biggest problem with that, people use "giant breasts" "huge breasts" and there's no distinction, if they're literally person sized, just use "Hyper breasts", if the character is just busty use "big breasts"... and nobody is looking for "enormous tatas" or "large boobers" or "gazongas", it's a tag system, not a place to put silly joke names.

AlisaBlueBird wrote:4) Anything else you can think of
Personally, I'd rather have too many tags than too few, so long as all of them are accurate. Any additional details like
'huge ass', 'bikini', 'glasses', 'drooling', 'upside down'. It's all useful so someone. I'd say just go nuts!

This, as long as it's not redundant... clothes (boxers, short shorts, tube top etc), actions (dancing, running, relaxing), pose (reclining, holding belly, hands on hips), describing the bulges on the pred (hand imprints, face imprint etc), whether the character is looking at or talking to the viewer... they're all fair game. Everything I've submitted has at least 20-30 tags, it's not hard to come up with them, and they don't take long to type out.

If you're not sure what to tag, look at other people's work before submitting. Whatever you do, don't post without tags, nobody will find your work if you do that.

And please, people, stop using "vore belly", that basically means nothing on this site. It's like tagging "vore".
Last edited by Nekochow on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nekochow
New to the forum

Postby Nikkidafox » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:49 pm

I think that you should put tags that are at least in some way useful. Like I personally use tags to see if there's something that I either really like or don't like. And when I get flooded with things like 10 variations of the title of the show, I just kind of give up.
Nikkidafox
Participator

Postby jaggedjagd » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:27 am

Last edited by jaggedjagd on Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
jaggedjagd
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby MechaSharkZilla » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 am

Not much I can add here, but a big one is PLEASE tag if it's a consensual scenario or not. Reading a cuddly romance story that suddenly takes a turn where the prey is having a mental breakdowm trying to not get eaten is fine if you're looking for that, but when it's untagged and it looks like it'll be friendly... It really ruins it. And I can safely assume it's the same for those who don't like willing prey.
MechaSharkZilla
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zangoose » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 pm

I think the necessities are, in order:
-Genders (Start by inserting tags like M/M, Male Pred, Male Prey, etc. Gender is usually priority number 1 in one's preferences.)
-Commonly Avoided Topics (Scat, Underage, Digestion, Hard Vore, Gore, Futa etc. Some of these subjects can be almost instantaneous turn-offs that can ruin one's enjoyment for a work entirely, so if it involves one of these, it'd be a good idea to add these as a bit of a warning.)
-Vore type (Oral, Anal, Unbirth, Cock vore, Soul Vore, etc. This also seems fairly important, as some people are strictly into one type of vore (Generally oral).)
-Sizes(Macro/Micro, Same Size and Bigger Prey, for example. Maybe add things like Giantess for better measures.)
-Species (Human, Feral, Anthro, etc. And add the animal-type if it's Feral or Anthro.)

Other categories are also good to add for searching purposes, but I wouldn't say they're as important as these. I really doubt people would filter "Last look" or "Onomatopoeia" anywhere near as often as "Anthro" or " Futa". Still, adding tags for series, characters, body types and other features would be good for those searching for things like those.

Lastly, I'd recommend against using tags like M/MMMMMMMMM. They just looks ridiculous in my opinion. Using M/Multiple alongside M/M, for example, would work much better overall.
Just your friendly neighborhood M/M enthusiast.

For Vore code, see https://bit.ly/2GoUFwl
Zangoose
Somewhat familiar

Postby empatheticapathy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:41 am

My policy is simply that you tag everything that is unambiguously visible in the image - and nothing else.
If something is relevant to the characters but you can't tell by looking at this one picture with no further context (ie: their job, their sexuality, etc.) you don't tag it. It's not in this image. If something is definitely present in an image - but there's also a version where you really can't see that thing, you don't tag it (ie: it's an image of a futa fucking a female, but there's also a cropped version where all you can see is a dick in a pussy, you don't add any futa-based tags; if there's a pic with dialogue and a textless version, the textless version doesn't get tagged for things that are only in the dialogue).

Just about the only exceptions to this are the artist (obviously), if the image is part of a comic or other series then you can and should tag that series, if it's part of a specific universe then you should tag that too, and language tags (ie: 'russian') are a good thing.
There are certain grey areas that are unavoidable (ie: how old does a character have to be for pics involving them to get 'milf' added as a tag?), but generally speaking, I think tagging needs to be as objective as possible.

But I've seen all kinds of screwy things that I think are obvious no's, and that's worth discussing too. You know, "what not to do".
Opinion-based tags (ie: 'hot', 'sexy dick', etc.), tagging commissioned pics with the commissioner, and plain old leaps in logic (ie: woman-on-top sex tagged 'femdom' even with no other BDSM or dominance elements; a character with their dick in a larger character tagged as 'big dom small sub' again with no explicit domination occurring).
empatheticapathy
---

Postby Jayezox » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:38 am

I'm going to list a few things to avoid:

-tags that are too ambiguous or broad. "Furry" is a good example of this since anthros, ferals, and even demi-humans with animal ears and whatnot can all fall into this category. More specific tags like "anthro" "feral" or "demi" will do a much better job.
-misleading tags. Know the terms before using the tag. I can't count how many scat disposal endings in stories are tagged full tour. Full tour means the prey is intact or at least it does for most people so use alternate tags that fit the subject and think about the people browsing the gallery.
-The unnecessary blacklist. This is when specific tags that don't necessarily fit the picture or scenario trigger a blacklist. Even really good artists that usually tag good mess this one up. It's most common with internal shots that are just internal and don't show the predator. Putting tags like "male pred" and "female pred" in something like this gets the picture blacklisted for no reason and potentially loses views. I know the artist means well by letting the picture be what the viewer wants it to be, but the accidental blacklist seems easy to overlook. This is when ambiguity belongs in the tags like "ambiguous pred" or "?/?"
Jayezox
---

Postby EnderDracolich » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm

GramzonTheDragon wrote:Names of characters, subject, species (even if it's a human!) genders and their roles if a vore or dom scene, kinks present like oral vore, scat, endo, etc, and for the love of god if there's a dick in it put cock or dick in the tags. Basically make the blacklist actually block out stuff people don't like we dont have to blacklist every variation of "huge cock"

Yeah. All of this is needed. I would add that you totally, always should tag anything underage as such. The blacklist won't work if you don't tag it properly, for people who want to avoid that type of content.
EnderDracolich
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Cowrie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 pm

empatheticapathy wrote:If something is definitely present in an image - but there's also a version where you really can't see that thing, you don't tag it (ie: it's an image of a futa fucking a female, but there's also a cropped version where all you can see is a dick in a pussy, you don't add any futa-based tags

Jayezox wrote:The unnecessary blacklist. This is when specific tags that don't necessarily fit the picture or scenario trigger a blacklist. Even really good artists that usually tag good mess this one up. It's most common with internal shots that are just internal and don't show the predator. Putting tags like "male pred" and "female pred" in something like this gets the picture blacklisted for no reason and potentially loses views. I know the artist means well by letting the picture be what the viewer wants it to be, but the accidental blacklist seems easy to overlook. This is when ambiguity belongs in the tags like "ambiguous pred" r "?/?"

I'm going to disagree here. While such tags added by viewers may be unwelcome, artist intent is important, and disregarding said intent is a much more serious issue than number of views, at least to me.
I am open for art commissions or trades! See here for details.
Cowrie
???

Postby empatheticapathy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Cowrie wrote:I'm going to disagree here. While such tags added by viewers may be unwelcome, artist intent is important, and disregarding said intent is a much more serious issue than number of views, at least to me.

I have to disagree there. I'm a pretty firm believer in Death of the Author - that the intent of whoever created a given piece of art is irrelevant, only the art itself matters.
I don't really care about the number of views either. I just think that tagging needs to be accurate and objectively describe the image/story/whatever, for the sheer sake of accuracy and objectivity themselves - and that it should end there.

Think of tagging as describing a photograph. You say what's in the photo, who took it, and then you stop.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby Jayezox » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 am

Maybe viewer count wasn't the best way to express my point. I probably should have said something along the lines of losing their intended audience. Even if the artist's intention is to make something be what the audience wants it to be it still causes unintentional target audience loss (target audience; that's better). Using tags that specifically express ambiguity for ambiguous art delivers the intention better than slapping every tag of what it could be. Making tags that unintentionally create blacklists for a target audience is still something to avoid no matter the intention.
Jayezox
---

Postby Cowrie » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:18 pm

empatheticapathy wrote:
Cowrie wrote:I'm going to disagree here. While such tags added by viewers may be unwelcome, artist intent is important, and disregarding said intent is a much more serious issue than number of views, at least to me.

I have to disagree there. I'm a pretty firm believer in Death of the Author - that the intent of whoever created a given piece of art is irrelevant, only the art itself matters.
I don't really care about the number of views either. I just think that tagging needs to be accurate and objectively describe the image/story/whatever, for the sheer sake of accuracy and objectivity themselves - and that it should end there.

Think of tagging as describing a photograph. You say what's in the photo, who took it, and then you stop.

I see that you don't have a gallery, so am I correct in assuming you're not a content creator? It may be one thing to feel that way as a consumer of art, but for me, as a creator of art, such a stance is sort of offensive. If a creator wants something open to interpretation, they'll leave it open to interpretation. Saying that authorial intent doesn't matter is deeply unsettling to me. If I posted a pic of my character Vlasta with a full belly and no cutaway or text describing the situation, I'd still tag it F/M, because the idea of her eating a woman goes against the very core of her character and the setting she's from. If someone replaced that tag with F/F, or even F/?, it would be very upsetting. I'm not saying all artists and authors feel this way, but that's my opinion on the issue.

Jayezox wrote:Maybe viewer count wasn't the best way to express my point. I probably should have said something along the lines of losing their intended audience. Even if the artist's intention is to make something be what the audience wants it to be it still causes unintentional target audience loss (target audience; that's better). Using tags that specifically express ambiguity for ambiguous art delivers the intention better than slapping every tag of what it could be. Making tags that unintentionally create blacklists for a target audience is still something to avoid no matter the intention.

That's the thing, if the artist choses to add a limiting tag in that manner, maybe they want a narrower target audience. If the artist wants an internal-only shot, to use your example, to only appeal to fans of scenarios with a given gender of predator, that's their choice. It is completely reasonable for an artist to choose to limit their target audience in such a manner. Viewers adding such tags is a completely different matter, but unfortunately there's no way for who added a tag to be known.
I am open for art commissions or trades! See here for details.
Cowrie
???

Postby empatheticapathy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Cowrie wrote:I see that you don't have a gallery, so am I correct in assuming you're not a content creator?

Well, I have a game linked in my signature, other games (some of which I've done art and music for) on other sites, fanfics for other sites, and a youtube channel where I upload short skits. I have always felt that only the finished product matters, and that my intent with anything I produce is completely unimportant.

Cowrie wrote:It may be one thing to feel that way as a consumer of art, but for me, as a creator of art, such a stance is sort of offensive.

That's unfortunate, but this isn't some crackpot theory that only I subscribe to. It's kind of a big deal in the world of art criticism and interpretation. Have some links.
https://writing.upenn.edu/~taransky/Barthes.pdf
https://arthistoryunstuffed.com/roland- ... he-author/
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... fTheAuthor

In your example, F/? would be, to me, the correct tag. The ? means that you can still interpret her prey as male, while anyone else who wants to interpret it as female (or doesn't care) doesn't have to get forcibly locked into looking at the image in a given way. No amount of tags or audience interpretation is going to change the core of Vlasta's character, or any canon built around her - a tag describes only a single image/story/game/etc., not everything that the characters in it can be connected to. It doesn't even really describe the characters themselves, only what you can unambiguously see in the image.
empatheticapathy
---

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion