Story Writing: Vore vs. Plot

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Story Writing: Vore vs. Plot

Postby NightRoller » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:07 am

I have been writing stories for the past four years and have had some experience from reading/writing good and bad core stories.

So what makes the writing good or bad?

As a reader, do you prefer a story to be good in plot or purely vore-heavy?

If you are a writer, do you try to focus on the vore and use the plot to make it plausible, or do you focus on the plot and let the vore be an outcome/driver of the plot/just part of the story as it progresses?

I'm not only curious, but this may factor into some of my own writing.

As for me, I enjoy reading both plot- and vore-driven stories, though the stories I write I want to have plot as the main feature, with core included as a natural course for the story to turn to.
We live in a culture of addictions. What's yours?
NightRoller
Somewhat familiar

Re: Story Writing: Vore vs. Plot

Postby Zephyr42 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 am

I try to make the vore match the plot. I'm almost compelled to. I'll read a story skimping on logic if it pushes my buttons the right way, but even then I won't lower my standards much. I just prefer having everything make some degree of sense, even if it's just as a joke.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Apex » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:39 am

As a reader, I like some actual plot in my vore. If I'm actually trying to get aroused I usually go for shorter, more vore heavy tales, but I tend to get invested in storylines easily and will end up reading things more for the story than whatever kink content is there. That mostly goes for chapter based works and I'll end up reading every new chapter of things even when I think it's all actually kind of bad. I just want to know where the plot is going to end up. Regardless, I like to see fun/sexy character interactions and story beats that make some semblance of sense. That being said, I can believe a lot of vorish handwaving. A few sentences about "this is just how it is" is all I really need. In a similar vein, sometimes throwing all the rules onto the board can make the holes in your world become EXTREMELY apparent. When that happens, it's a real killer.

As a writer, I try to write stories before I write vore. Yeah, sex and vore is inevitably a part of them (technically has to be for them to get posted around here) but first and foremost I want characters people can get invested in and root for when they get into their inevitable vore duels or whatever. Or root against, I guess. Sometimes I even run into dead spaces in my stories where I just cannot think of a way to put vore in without it just being stupid and contrived. Sometimes I can't add it even WITH it being stupid and contrived. Of course, sometimes I just want to write garbage where people get eaten and that's the end. It's really just all about what I feel like.

Whatever the case, the story needs to be readable. There's a lot of prose floating around of lower quality than most children's picture books and I find it baffling.
Apex
Been posting for a bit

Postby LightDragon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:55 am

Hm... Well, personnaly I try to make the vore an entire part of the plot, and to make the plot revolve around vore.
This also means that I tend to prioritize vore, and I don't push the plot further than it.

Which is strange, because aside from my vore stories, I really like to write plot-centered stories with well developped characters, universe and scenario. But when I write a plot-centered story, I can't manage to put something related to vore in it. The only time I did, it was in a story featuring Yoshi, and I ended up deleting the scene from the final version because it just broke the flow of the story.

Maybe this is why most of my vore stories are fanfictions. Because the characters are already pre-established, and I just have to do a small summary of the universe for thoses who are new to it, and write a story about "what if vore existed in this universe ?". So I can even reuse existing plots, and just turn them around so they revolve around vore. It's a way for me to center the writing around vore, and still have a meaningful plot.

As a reader, now, I tend to read mostly vore-centered stories. I also love to read plot-centered stories, but I most often read them on others, non fetish sites. It seems I like to separate a lot my interest with vore from the rest of my leisures ^^
LightDragon
Participator

Postby Scrumptious » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:46 am

In a vore story, you're wasting my time if the vore is not the purpose of the plot.

That said, I don't mind if the build-up to the vore takes a while as long as there's a lot of hinting ahead of time, or if you hit on my other kinks along the way.

That also said, I do not want a garbage plot. I want to have the story transport me and suspend my disbelief. That can only be done with both good plot and good writing.
Scrumptious
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby VoraciousSincerity » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:22 am

I have no particular problem with stories mostly focused on vore, but I do prefer there to be at least enough plot to show why the vore is happening. Stories with more of a plotline are a lot of fun though, and it does provide more buildup to the main event :D

As for my own writing (I'm a new writer) I often find I am compelled to do two things at minimum with all my stories: Provide a reason and motivation for the vore and/or buildup the scenario that leads to it, and give at least some attention to the characters involved. With my longer stories I add more interaction between the characters, and attempt at least to tease the vore and add more description of it.

I've had my readers praise me for how I seem to build-up to the vore in my longer stories, and often put in interactions they don't see often (my vore stories at the moment are pure fanfiction, and I take the time in my longer ones to address the loved ones and lives of the characters :))
VoraciousSincerity
Been posting for a bit

Postby Baz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 am

I'm a weirdo in that I like stories that include vore, as well as just plain vore stories. Stuff has to happen for a reason though, even in the latter.
"I might not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death." E. B. Hall
"I have two types of friend. You're either my kind of asshole, or my kind of nutter. It's up to you to decide which one you are!"
Baz
Yat

Postby Stanku » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 am

As a writer I like to think the vore and the plot not as separate parts of the story. Rather, the plot is the form in which vore occurs in literary form -- it's just a question of how good or bad it's going to be then.

Take Little Red Riding Hood, which can be treated as a vore story even though it was not intended as one. If you count as "plot" everything that does not explicitly contain vore in the story and cut it out, what you end up with are the scenes of the wolf eating Red and her grandmother. Yet everything that preceded and followed those events contributes to their meaning, thus forms sort of implicit vore of the story. Vore is not just about eating or getting eaten, it's also (at least for me) being eaten for revenge or by accident or out of hunger or in some other such context which gives the vore its meaning. That's how I like to write vore stories.

In reading I often end up skimming the context to get to the explicit scenes though.
Stanku
Been posting for a bit

Postby AutumnFerret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:41 am

I'm actually fairly new to writing vore and I'm still trying to define my style, but generally I use vore in action scenes in a story. it's usually at the end of a story and used to wrap up the plot like the fight scenes in Scott Pilgrim VS the World. just replace swords and what not with maws and bellies.

as a reader however. I don't really care how vore is used in a story as long as it's well written and presented somewhat realistically.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
AutumnFerret
Somewhat familiar

Postby jaggedjagd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Last edited by jaggedjagd on Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaggedjagd
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby hersnack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:31 pm

Obviously you need some plot. But, If I am looking for a "deep" plot a vore story is not where I look. I read a vore story to satisfy a fetish,not for a deep thoughtful plot. Ironically, i find some of my favorite writers tend to put too much build up into their stories and in my opinion take too long to get to the point.
hersnack
Somewhat familiar

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:59 pm

I try to write plots for a mainstream audience, then insert vore where appropriate.
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Postby Verilo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Every story I ever wrote with the intention of making it sexual started and ended within the span of one day. One story was actually just the morning, but it was still a fair length so it isn't just a paragraph of "and then they got ate." Anything beyond that is just excessive and unnecessary. At that point, you might as well be writing a book with a scene in it instead of a scene with a setting around it.
Verilo
Somewhat familiar

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:10 pm

For me oftentimes vore is intertwined to the world. It is a common inevitable event. Perhaps not central to the plot but never far and as likely an outcome to a social situation as a handshake is in an introduction.

I like to make readers wonder where and how it will happen to the characters they care about while displaying it in abundance to the background characters. That sets the stage for readers.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby C107galaxytachyon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Y'now, I saw an interesting article about this very thing recently. https://archiveofourown.org/works/755007
C107galaxytachyon
Somewhat familiar

Postby SwallowMe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:43 pm

I prefer to read and write stories where the plot leads up to or surrounds the vore. I feel it is important to put in a lot of qualifications for the story to hold up. Who's the prey, why does said person end up in the vore situation at the end? Is it something the person wanted, willing or unwilling. Does it happen because the pred makes it happen? Or maybe the pred is unaware they ate the prey( do they find out?), or maybe the pred is doing it because the prey wants it. Do the prey and pred normally know each other and how close is their relationship, how does it work, or are they complete strangers? Do the prey or pred or both keep the same mindset through the whole story? Where does it take place, why and how does it take place there? How does the vore happen, in what way, and is it a norm of the world, or is it something fantastical that catches the prey or even the pred by surprise?

I've tried my best to try and write like one or two page stories since most of my stories tend to take a few hours or more to write and end up being five to eight or more pages long, so I want to on occasionally write something fast and easy, but never works. When it comes to vore, I can't write a story without all the plot and exposition; I can't do it without all of that development.

Also personally, I enjoy stories the focus on one signature event of vore. I feel that a story that continues along with an act of vore, after an act of vore, one somewhat right after another, the vore events lose their charm and become weak.

Basically, I'd say if a writer wants to continue with a certain pred, or a prey(if the prey somehow survives the vore), then they can make it a series and write multiple small stories, instead of one big one.
SwallowMe
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Katana70065 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:20 am

As both a writer, I always try to impart some sort of plot into any story I write. Sometimes vore IS the plot, other times, it's just one element in the plot. It all depends on the story concept. Some stories are best written as a brief vignette where the pred eats the prey, no more, no less. Other stories are best drawn out and given a fully developed plot.
Katana70065
Been posting for a bit

Postby GramzonTheDragon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:31 pm

I tell most people this, a short story works well when vore focused with a bit of fluff, but a longer story needs more plot reliance to be interesting. Not every chapter has to have vore. Of course, a short story can be more plot focused, but for people looking for a quick jerk they'll probably be looking for a short story about a detailed vore scenario, while people looking for more entertainment may look for more plot with the occasional vore scene.
GramzonTheDragon
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby NightRoller » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Well said, all of you!

So the general opinion runs the gamut, but it seems that the shorter the story is, the more vore focused it should be, whereas with longer stories, the plot should be a necessity.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm going to also read some of your writings while I wait to get a gallery.
Speaking of which, I sent Eka a message about opening a gallery for me, but she hasn't responded yet. Any ideas in how to speed up the process? Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get a response because she's really busy?
We live in a culture of addictions. What's yours?
NightRoller
Somewhat familiar

Postby at_tltb » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:24 pm

NightRoller wrote:Well said, all of you!

So the general opinion runs the gamut, but it seems that the shorter the story is, the more vore focused it should be, whereas with longer stories, the plot should be a necessity.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm going to also read some of your writings while I wait to get a gallery.
Speaking of which, I sent Eka a message about opening a gallery for me, but she hasn't responded yet. Any ideas in how to speed up the process? Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get a response because she's really busy?

There actually is a thing people didn't point out yet, I think.
Not everyone at this site have English as their native language.
While I enjoy good stories, too. Reading something which is not written in my language takes some time and effort.
When I'm not convinced whether the story contains things I want or not, reading long story is somewhat risky. This is the reason why I sometimes prefer short ones.

If you're interested in making long story, I think tagging them correctly in details would help.
at_tltb
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion