I want to attend Cal Arts and make GTS vore cartoons!

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

I want to attend Cal Arts and make GTS vore cartoons!

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:51 pm

I live in Southern California, and I’m thinking about enrolling in Cal Arts, the preeminent college for animation in California. I want to draw a graphic novel to show them as part of the admission process. Here is my mission statement, a requirement for being admitted:

[I am interested in creating size changing fiction that falls somewhere in between the two currently existing extremes of childish films and adult content. Giantess and shrunken man characters have existed in one form or another since ancient times, from the Laestrygonians in Homer’s Odyssey to Gulliver’s travels in the 18th century. My main goal is to entertain modern teenagers and young adults with sequential storytelling involving giant women and shrunken people.]

How would it be if one of us attended an art school like that with the goal of creating giantess vore content? Does anyone here know someone who went to Cal Arts?
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Re: I want to attend Cal Arts and make GTS vore cartoons!

Postby calldahotline » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Don't. CalArts has a reputation for a reason, as every major thing from them looks like, at best, a variation on the same style. At worst, they look identical. Create your own style, make it unique. Certainly an animation school will help with other aspects, but just try your best to make *your* style and not be railroaded into doing something identical.
calldahotline
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:06 pm

calldahotline wrote:Don't. CalArts has a reputation for a reason, as every major thing from them looks like, at best, a variation on the same style. At worst, they look identical. Create your own style, make it unique. Certainly an animation school will help with other aspects, but just try your best to make *your* style and not be railroaded into doing something identical.

Where would you suggest I go?
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby rabbidrabbid » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 pm

First of all, CalArts is pretty bad. Their style is extremely bland, and they just don't work for people who want to work on their own style. They can and will force their techniques on you. Also, CalArts isn't the easiest place to get into, and I highly doubt that admitting to being a niche and controversial fetish artist would be very good for the school's image as a whole.
rabbidrabbid
New to the forum

Postby calldahotline » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Try an online school, maybe skillshare or another similar program. You could try calarts, but with how stuff out of there looks, I don't know if you will be forced into their style or not. I don't know animation schools, so my advice is limited.
calldahotline
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Dekkard2 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Sounds like this book would help you out better than CalArts
https://www.amazon.com/Animators-Surviv ... d+williams

that and tutorials on youtube
I am open for commissions
https://aryion.com/g4/userpage.commissi ... d=Dekkard2
PM me if you're interested and we can work something out
Dekkard2
---

Postby AdjectiveNounCombo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:24 pm

calldahotline wrote:Don't. CalArts has a reputation for a reason, as every major thing from them looks like, at best, a variation on the same style. At worst, they look identical.

rabbidrabbid wrote:First of all, CalArts is pretty bad. Their style is extremely bland, and they just don't work for people who want to work on their own style. They can and will force their techniques on you.

don't forget they castrate you upon admission. lmao r u guys serious?
AdjectiveNounCombo
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby CakeInferno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 pm

I wouldn't call CalArts bad, as I see it as more of a "your mileage may vary" type of situation. In the end it's usually dependent on the teacher you'll be learning from. Most of them actually encourage you to keep your style, but also make you aware that having a style that is adoptable to a mainstream format will help you getting hired in the industry.

Regarding the fetish application I can confirm that some teachers are aware of it, and will flat out tell students that they might end up creating fetish content at some point of their career. However, I do NOT advice putting any of this into your application, as it will likely be disregarded right away.
3D art with one-dimensional characters - https://aryion.com/g4/user/CakeInferno
Overpaid but undersexed - https://www.patreon.com/CakeInferno
CakeInferno
Somewhat familiar

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 pm

CakeInferno wrote:I wouldn't call CalArts bad, as I see it as more of a "your mileage may vary" type of situation. In the end it's usually dependent on the teacher you'll be learning from. Most of them actually encourage you to keep your style, but also make you aware that having a style that is adoptable to a mainstream format will help you getting hired in the industry.

Regarding the fetish application I can confirm that some teachers are aware of it, and will flat out tell students that they might end up creating fetish content at some point of their career. However, I do NOT advice putting any of this into your application, as it will likely be disregarded right away.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take your advice about not mentioning fetish stuff
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Dekkard2 wrote:Sounds like this book would help you out better than CalArts
https://www.amazon.com/Animators-Surviv ... d+williams

that and tutorials on youtube

Thanks, I'll get that book when I get paid
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby 3l33thax0r » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:50 pm

I would avoid any fetish material for the admissions portion, and most of the curriculum submissions as well. It only takes one professor to tank your progress there if they find it offensive (and here in CA, that’s not hard to do). If it’s a horror/macabre assignment you *might* get away with it, but otherwise I’d say steer clear of it in your work submitted to Cal Arts.

If you do make it in, I’ll be sure to wave as I drive by! I live near the campus and pass it at least once a week.
3l33thax0r
New to the forum

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:56 pm

3l33thax0r wrote:I would avoid any fetish material for the admissions portion, and most of the curriculum submissions as well. It only takes one professor to tank your progress there if they find it offensive (and here in CA, that’s not hard to do). If it’s a horror/macabre assignment you *might* get away with it, but otherwise I’d say steer clear of it in your work submitted to Cal Arts.

If you do make it in, I’ll be sure to wave as I drive by! I live near the campus and pass it at least once a week.

I've got some Twilight zone style stories I could make into comics to submit for the application process6
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Cuddlekins » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm

First of all, I'd say do your own research on CalArts. This may be a highly unprecedented statement, but people tend to be a bit overreactionary on the internet.

Second of all, I have to ask: what is it you are exactly trying to accomplish? You want to go into the industry and make fetish cartoons for commercial sale? What purpose would one have for trying to ring such a niche kink into the mainstream? If you're serious about this and you really want to be an illustrator, then I'd say drop the focus on the fetish. I mean, a little influence probably wouldn't hurt anyone as long as you're tasteful with it, but I wouldn't use that as your mission statement. Believe me; I've been thinking about how I'd find a publisher for when I finish some actual serious writing, and kinda realized that if I hadn't spent much of my energy writing loli vore smut, I'd have one hell of a portfolio :c

Also, college takes up a lot of time and money. Take it from me and think twice before thinking of turning a hobby into a career. It can suck all the fun out of your passion and leave you feeling empty.
***Cuddlekins Vore Stories (May contain LOLI)
***FF14 GPose Vore Comics
(Mostly macro/micro F/f, some ?/F, some monster girl same-size.)
Cuddlekins
Participator

Postby GastricAztec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:01 pm

3l33thax0r wrote:I would avoid any fetish material for the admissions portion, and most of the curriculum submissions as well. It only takes one professor to tank your progress there if they find it offensive (and here in CA, that’s not hard to do). If it’s a horror/macabre assignment you *might* get away with it, but otherwise I’d say steer clear of it in your work submitted to Cal Arts.

I've got some Twilight zone style stories I've written that I could make into comics to submit for the application process that aren't fetish related.
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby The_Prof » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:36 pm

It seems to be a common trend I hear that Art School is actually BAD for artists. Namely because the core of art is of style. Studying theory, technique, and creative ways to use the tools you have is valuable to learn because you can adapt it to develop your style. But you should NEVER learn style because it draws away from your personal style in an attempt to adopt another person's style, taking away the "uniqueness" of your work.

That doesn't mean that it can't help, some artists can incorporate their style to mesh with the style they're taught and can make some really interesting content. However that outcome tends to wind up rarer then people would like. So it's best to study theory and tools.
Evil genius, lover of catgirls, and tricking people into getting eaten is my game!
The_Prof
???

Postby SilhouetteofKid » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:37 am

I don't get the Calarts thing. Didn't people like Tim Burton, Stephen Hillenburg, Craig McCracken, and Genndy Tartakovsky go there?
I mean, most the shows that have similar styles like Gumball, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and Star Vs the Forces of Evil.
Only two of the creators of these cartoons that are in this list went to the school. Gravity Falls and Star Vs.
I can see some similarities but I think its just a coincidence. You could say the same for Regular Show about its style since
JG Quintel went to CalArts too. Maybe Fairy Odd Parents or Over the Garden Wall. I guess I can see some pattern with the
styles but I feel that they're all different in own shows though.

Um other than that! I think you have an interesting idea. Besides the vore stuff, I think your idea can work pretty well.
Honestly, some stuff in media (mostly cartoons I've seen) from what I've seen have some weird lowkey fetish stuff in there that you'd
probably wouldn't notice at first glance. Like, remember the "Hartman's Hips" thing? There's a lot of cartoons had that to my surprise. O_o
Cartoons and other stuff I've seen can be weird in many ways that people wouldn't even notice certain aspects of them.
But that's just me! Don't actually do that unless your some skilled artist ninja that can hide that without other people noticing.
Or just don't do it all together. ^^;

For real though, you want to make a story with giants and shrunken people? Look up some stories and cartoons with those.
There should be plenty, especially with the Guillver's Travels cartoon and live action series. You can check some stories in
American Comics and Manga. THE ONLY WAY I see vore being involved is if it was something like Attack on Titan, Muv Luv,
Tales of Berseria, Tokyo Ghoul, or that one anime with dragons that turn into jets. Where that kind of stuff is apart of the plot.
Not in a fetish way but more like it's a plot device if that's the right word. Hell, the Trolls movie is full of it. But mainly, just
find what kind of story you want to tell and find some examples of that and study them. See what writers and animators do for
their story and learn from that and figure out what kind of story you want to create. That's my advice.

Also, don't worry about your style. I tried to focus on my style but never really got anywhere worrying about it.
As one of my professor's told me: That comes out on its own when you create. Worry about your skills first before style.

Whatever decision you make, I wish you good luck! :D
Last edited by SilhouetteofKid on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hell yeah. (⌐■_■)

SilhouetteofKid
Somewhat familiar

Postby Gibet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:43 am

Hello! The "CalArts style" is just a myth, and amounts to nothing more than a stereotype in real life. I don't know why so many people in this thread are attempting to give you college advice based on something that they probably read on the internet. Actual CalArts students or alum can correct me on this. Furthermore, you should not include references to fetish content in college admissions forms. It's incredibly unprofessional, and will definitely raise eyebrows in a bad way.

Sorry if that seems a bit harsh. You shouldn't reach out to people on this website for higher education advice; we really aren't qualified at all to provide that sort of advice. Instead, I suggest you reach out to colleagues who are already in college, or perhaps advisors or high school teachers (assuming you're 18 and not browsing this site illegally).
"The predator's job isn't done when the hunt is over." -Topaz the fairy
Gibet
Participator

Return to General Vore Discussion