Is being into vore like a type of depression?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Re: Is being into vore like a type of depression?

Postby fieldmousse » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:19 pm

Ixtili wrote:It's entirely possible that each persons fetish is shaped by life experiences and people don't so much have the same fetish as they do a superficially similar one. The kinks in the community could be explained by people meeting and influencing each others fetish through exposure.

I like the angle you have taken with this with people having the same fetishes for different reasons. I read a book a while ago on some theories behind paraphilia (it's called Lovemaps if anyone is interested). The book was old, but if you can get past some of the oversimplifications that it makes, it makes the claim that all fetishes are the result of a paraphiliac individual's sexuality, which would otherwise be normal or socially acceptable, being tainted when they are young and it claims that all paraphilias can be classified into like one of four or six or something categories. The reasons for a child's sexuality getting tainted vary greatly and include childhood sexual abuse, depression, or just some odd event that happened to imprint sexually upon the child. The categories of fetishes that the book describes include one for collecting objects like pieces of clothing and another for prostitution, etc which I don't think are all that relevant to vore.
But what I thought was important is that the author makes a strong distinction between "consensual non-consent" and sadomasochism, that is that "wanting to have something taken away from you (eg. virginity or your life via consumption/digestion)" is very different from "wanting to suffer or have pain inflicted upon you" very different in terms of the individual who is engaging in paraphiliac activity. This, in my opinion, is not intuitive and I would have guessed the opposite. But you can definitely find some vorarephiles who are into it for sadomasochistic reasons and others who are in it for 'consensual non-consent' reasons.
So anyways, to tie this into the current discussion I think both of these categories of sexuality have similarities with depressive mental illness. Nonconsent = "you're not good enough for sex, you need to have it taken away from you or take it away from someone unwillingly" and Sadomashism = "I deserve to suffer"
That being said, despite these similarities, I think anyone with a paraphilia can still live a happy, undepressed life. I'm not sure what to make of these similarities.
fieldmousse
Participator

Postby HyperlinkError » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:31 am

vore? nah. endo? probably
HyperlinkError
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jayezox » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:04 am

It could definitely be a symptom of depression, but not the depression itself and definitely not the cause unless the vorarephile in question is letting it ruin his/her life or something. It's definitely abnormal so thinking it's just okay to have and moving on is ignoring abnormal behavior which is not a good idea. However, going to other extremes is also not right either such as ridiculing those with abnormal behavior. I do think that vore points out depression that someone is or has suffered, but it's not a type of depression itself.
Jayezox
---

Postby Sideromelane » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:20 am

I suffer clinical depression, and have bouts and dips triggered by any number of things.

Now, *some* vore content can trigger that. I just avoid those artists. It's fine. What does seem to happen however is that when I'm already depressed, vore, as well as *any* form of sexual activity becomes uninteresting and even unpleasant.

When my moods are good, I go on total frenzies of roleplay and activity around the few vore communities i'm on.

So, for me, no, its not any 'type' of depression. Its something else *affected* by it!
Sideromelane
Advanced Vorarephile

Previous

Return to General Vore Discussion