Writers, how do you get "in the mood" to write?

Keep our community informed! This forum is for discussing and sharing vore-related information. Post any relevant material and/or links here, and engage in conversations!
Forum rules
This is for general discussion, if you found something you want to post, please use one of the upload forum, if you made something and want to share them, please use the work to be shared forum!

Writers, how do you get "in the mood" to write?

Postby Miridium » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I have a few unfinished fics that I'd love to complete but for one reason or another it's hard to do so. Not being in the mood is one. As is difficulty with and being intimidated by the nitty gritty character stuff, dialogue, and trying to be at least somewhat faithful to the source material. And of course lack of experience.

So I ask you writers, how do you do it?
Miridium
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: Writers, how do you get "in the mood" to write?

Postby Winny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Just do it.

No I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I quite literally mean to just write and post.

Once you start feeling familiar with writing, looking over, posting. Once you've done this a few times it becomes easier to do.

The one thing, the one bit of advice that many writers big and small have said is such. "Just write."

Even if you don't want to, write.

Even if you think it is bad, write.

If you are asking how to get into a mood to write erotic fiction.

Watch, read, listen to something to turn yourself on. Don't touch yourself and just picture what turns you on.

Then write the scenario situation you are thinking about.
Winny
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Krowley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I have a terrible work ethic and even worse self-esteem so I just sit around and wait for the mood to hit me. When it does, I'll spend hours writing and it's easier for me to work up the nerve to edit something I've already written.

Strangely, being sleep-deprived seems to put me in a creative mood.
Krowley
Been posting for a bit

Postby boomerangfish » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Honestly, getting horny can lower your inhibitions and make it easier to write what comes to you instead of worrying about it.

Oh, and being sleep-deprived, as the previous poster said, can also lower your inhibitions. You're most creative early and late in the day.
boomerangfish
Participator

Postby ArcaneSigil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:08 pm

I just kinda... write.
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby Jocaste » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

The most productive I've ever been is isolated. The less noise and distractions (my phone, the internet, all that stuff), the better, personally.
Who are you?
Who? Who is but the form following the function of what, and what I am is a man in a mask.
I can see that.
I'm not questioning your powers of observation, i'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.
Jocaste
Been posting for a bit

Postby DoubleOSnake » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:44 pm

I sit down in front of my laptop, put on a rockin tune, and pretty much force myself to write something until I get into the flow of things; sometimes write when I'm queing up for stuff in an MMO cuz que times can make for great times to write some shit.

And unlike a lot of folks here, get a good night's rest makes me work a hell of a lot more efficiently... unfortunately, I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in a long time XD
DoubleOSnake
Participator

Postby sweetladyamy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Ehhhhh...

For me, it comes randomly. That's really about all there is to it... :/
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby Rumor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:01 pm

There's almost no one strategy that's gonna work for everyone. Every writer will have moments where the stars align and inspiration pours in and they write a novella in half an hour, but those moments are rare and fleeting. Getting yourself to write is a really fickle thing you'll have to figure out on your own and constantly change and adapt to whatever new writer blocks it puts in your way.

Some people can sit down and "just write". They're the lucky ones.

Others might need to do certain things to get themselves in the mood (noise generators and music can help for me). You might have to take a shower, vacuum your floor, watch 30 minutes of anime, read your older work, or whatever arbitrary thing(s) that you'll have to make a ritual out of to get you to sit down and at least write a little.

Some days, you will be able to write things other than what you want to write. And other days, you're gonna have to just accept you won't get anything worthwhile done writing (typically, at least for me, if I'm tired and/or stressed) and just take a breather.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Postby Saeshan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:23 pm

And when you don't write, or you're not in the mood for this, read. Read newspapers, read video games review, walkthrough, Warhammer game reports, read vore RP, read whatever, read Stephen King for example. Read. READ.
Saeshan
New to the forum

Postby SinLion » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:58 pm

I've found that I generally have inspiration to write strike me at random times, but I do write a lot more late at night, and if I start writing very early in the morning, I'll generally keep rolling for the rest of the morning. I do have a lot of trouble starting to write, but I usually do better if I've already started something, rather than motivating myself to start something new
SinLion
Been posting for a bit

Postby GentlemanlyShadow » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:01 pm

What I like to do is that I associate certain songs with ideas I have in my head, which allows me to not only recall and remain strong in memory all the different ideas I have, but when I actually sit down to write, I can listen to a particular song and know exactly what I'm getting into. Of course, different methods for different people, but waiting for inspiration or motivation to strike, it will happen, but it'll be a once in a blue moon type deal. If someone has suggested something in this thread that you haven't tried, give it a shot, otherwise you'll just have to experiment to see what gets you in the mood.

Another thing I do, which might help, is that I use someone as a sounding board. I tell them my idea and my general outline for this story or this chapter and then it becomes real. Creating my own motivation by bringing someone else in and then wanting to show them the finished product instead of this vague outline I told them. Hopefully someone's ritual here works for you, but if you've written before, have you ever discovered something that helped put you in the mood or made you more likely to create? Maybe you work better if you're happy, or if you're sad and/or angry. Did you listen to music while you wrote? Dead silence? Maybe while over a meal? Banking off your own past experiences will help you discover your own process, good luck!
GentlemanlyShadow
New to the forum

Postby Chameleonette » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Being inspired by something always helps me. The more fired-up I am about an idea, the more it's likely that I'll finish it or at least make good progress. And little inspiration bits can come from anywhere. Let it spark into something, even if it just ends up as a drabble or something short. But when I have that bit of inspiration or something that really ignites me with a need to make it exist in writing form... that's usually when I write what I feel is my best work.

I think another key is to remember to write for yourself first and foremost (if we're not talking commissions). Write something that's fun and interesting to you. Write something self-indulgent. Get the juices of creativity flowing with an idea or concept that really appeals to you. Ever since I started letting myself be more indulgent, I've gotten more writing done (and drawing, as well).

Other than that, I also like to put on music. But I specifically have a playlist of songs that do not contain words of any kind. Music is something that keeps things flowing for me, but only if it doesn't have lyrics---I find those distracting when trying to write.

Also, whenever you have an idea, no matter where you are or what you're doing---find a way to at least write that idea down as soon as you can. Inspiration and motivation can come back at a later time, even if you're not necessarily feeling it then. When I'm feeling particularly lost on what to write, I look back on ideas I've jotted down and haven't fleshed out and written yet. Sometimes one just clicks and that idea springs up with a fresh burst of inspiration.

And don't be afraid to write when in certain moods, either. It can be really helpful to channel emotions into your writing and that can also keep you going with it. Weirdly enough, I've written some of my longest and most fulfilling stuff when I was feeling sick and lonely. Other times, my thirstiness has driven me to write certain things that I really want to see, especially when I know they won't exist otherwise. And I wrote one of my favorite hurt/comfort fics (back when I was in fandoms) once when I was really sad.

In the end, though, just try different things and see what works for you. These are just the things that work for me.
Passionate advocate of M/F vore.

My RP Seeking Thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35501
Chameleonette
---

Postby BL1GHT » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:32 am

To say 'just write something' is one of those "easier said than done" sort of things. At least for me. Writing is hard, especially for someone who is first starting out. But you grow to love it the more you do it. I use a lot of things to get me in the mood; Music (mostly hard rock, metal, doom metal, stoner rock), comics/graphic novels, action movies. Those are lot of things that I like, so I just write about those. I'll tweak a concept to fit into the overall story or RP. If you need a reason to write then just write about stuff you love the most.
BL1GHT
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jurodan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:23 am

I haven't written much in the way of vore in years, but I recently got back to writing in general (who knows, maybe I'll actually write something for this site again?). For me, it's weird. I have to be at least a bit tired. I generally write between 2AM and 4AM. Which sucks since I have a 9-5 job.
Busy giving humanity a bad rep.
Jurodan
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby PoiYoFan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 am

I'm right now making a vore game that requires a lot of writing, and I just put on some music and start writing.
Check out my CAI bots here!
PoiYoFan
Somewhat familiar

Postby Sinon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 am

Most of it comes from wanting to troll some people on discord, but then it actually becomes good and I spend 2 hours at night writing it...

Yup, that just happened
Sinon
New to the forum

Postby cranberryknights1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:42 am

I have not posted anything on this site yet but I do write from time to time both fan fiction and canon fantasies and what I notice works for me is even when I am in a writing slump I go look at the content I am wishing to write about.Like watch some cut scenes of the girl I like from a certain game,and let my feelings and desires from her motivate me to write the story about her that does not yet exist anywhere. The desire to make such a fantasy story come to life with my own imagination makes that slump go away much easier the more often I do things like that as it kinda reminds me why I like that character so much and why that fantasy I have of her is so alluring for me to write the story of my dreams about her in a vore fantasy of my choosing. I guess in summery my advice would be to go back to the source of your fantasy or idea and remind yourself why you want it to exist and be written enough for it to motivate you into pushing you past getting through the first few sentences of your story and the rest should kinda flow from there. The hardest step after all most often is just taking that first one and getting the ball rolling and I found this method to be really helpful for me.
cranberryknights1
Participator

Postby VoraciousSincerity » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 am

Winny wrote:Just do it.

No I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I quite literally mean to just write and post.

Once you start feeling familiar with writing, looking over, posting. Once you've done this a few times it becomes easier to do.

The one thing, the one bit of advice that many writers big and small have said is such. "Just write."

Even if you don't want to, write.

Even if you think it is bad, write.

If you are asking how to get into a mood to write erotic fiction.

Watch, read, listen to something to turn yourself on. Don't touch yourself and just picture what turns you on.

Then write the scenario situation you are thinking about.

Rumor wrote:There's almost no one strategy that's gonna work for everyone. Every writer will have moments where the stars align and inspiration pours in and they write a novella in half an hour, but those moments are rare and fleeting. Getting yourself to write is a really fickle thing you'll have to figure out on your own and constantly change and adapt to whatever new writer blocks it puts in your way.

Some people can sit down and "just write". They're the lucky ones.

Others might need to do certain things to get themselves in the mood (noise generators and music can help for me). You might have to take a shower, vacuum your floor, watch 30 minutes of anime, read your older work, or whatever arbitrary thing(s) that you'll have to make a ritual out of to get you to sit down and at least write a little.

Some days, you will be able to write things other than what you want to write. And other days, you're gonna have to just accept you won't get anything worthwhile done writing (typically, at least for me, if I'm tired and/or stressed) and just take a breather.

Chameleonette wrote:Being inspired by something always helps me. The more fired-up I am about an idea, the more it's likely that I'll finish it or at least make good progress. And little inspiration bits can come from anywhere. Let it spark into something, even if it just ends up as a drabble or something short. But when I have that bit of inspiration or something that really ignites me with a need to make it exist in writing form... that's usually when I write what I feel is my best work.

I think another key is to remember to write for yourself first and foremost (if we're not talking commissions). Write something that's fun and interesting to you. Write something self-indulgent. Get the juices of creativity flowing with an idea or concept that really appeals to you. Ever since I started letting myself be more indulgent, I've gotten more writing done (and drawing, as well).

Other than that, I also like to put on music. But I specifically have a playlist of songs that do not contain words of any kind. Music is something that keeps things flowing for me, but only if it doesn't have lyrics---I find those distracting when trying to write.

Also, whenever you have an idea, no matter where you are or what you're doing---find a way to at least write that idea down as soon as you can. Inspiration and motivation can come back at a later time, even if you're not necessarily feeling it then. When I'm feeling particularly lost on what to write, I look back on ideas I've jotted down and haven't fleshed out and written yet. Sometimes one just clicks and that idea springs up with a fresh burst of inspiration.

And don't be afraid to write when in certain moods, either. It can be really helpful to channel emotions into your writing and that can also keep you going with it. Weirdly enough, I've written some of my longest and most fulfilling stuff when I was feeling sick and lonely. Other times, my thirstiness has driven me to write certain things that I really want to see, especially when I know they won't exist otherwise. And I wrote one of my favorite hurt/comfort fics (back when I was in fandoms) once when I was really sad.

In the end, though, just try different things and see what works for you. These are just the things that work for me.

All of this. I know Rumor's seems a bit contradictory to me advising the other two's points, but it is a very important point itself, and Chameleonette and Winny's are basically how I do it so I can't really add much. Writing is still hard though, no matter if the process is apparently simple or not, it is still very difficult to create anything unless you are running on raw inspirational fervor. Hope things work out for you, and keep your chin up! :-D (trust me, giving up is not worth losing the sheer elation of success).
VoraciousSincerity
Been posting for a bit

Postby NotTadpole » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 am

That's the thing. I don't. When it's not because I'm having trouble getting motivation to write, or being wracked by insecurity that nobody will like my weird niche fics based on some odd fetishes of mine that even other vore fans think it's odd, it's because my interest and passion for fics is so waning and temporary, that I fail to retain the motivation to continue writing a fic for very long, instead getting motivation for another fic, ensuring I'll never get anything done.
NotTadpole
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to General Vore Discussion