g4 :: Gallery Upgrade Landmark

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

g4 :: Gallery Upgrade Landmark

Postby Leshana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 am

Good News Everyone!

After a long period in development we have migrated the gallery archive to the next generation software! Like g3, g4 is a custom built program designed for this type of site; it has many new features but most importantly has a new dynamic framework which allows "fancyness"

New Gallery Software is Online
All pictures, stories, movies, comments, watches, favorites, etc from the old gallery have been transferred to the new. Note: Some people saw a permission denied message during upgrade, this was temporary.

A quick summary of a few of the most interesting features:
  • New look & feel, as long as you aren't using IE8 or anything outdated like that.
  • Everyone gets to edit a profile for their user page. Edit it on your settings screen. Artists & Authors can select a featured item of their choice, or allow a random item to be featured.
  • Tags. There is much more tag stuff including:
    • Tag Browsing View to navigate related tags.
    • Anyone can add or remove tags from any item. Modifications require Community Approval.
    • Tags are different colors for different categories. The tag admins will be cleaning up and coloring the tags soon.
    • You can now watch tags to be notified when a new item with tags you like is posted.
    • You can now blacklist tags you don't like.
  • Everyone has a Commission Status page where they can publish information about requests, trades, or commissions. And there is a central Commission List where you can browse artists and authors who have published thier status.
  • The gallery's Front Page is now sorted by last update by default.
  • Comic mode setting on folder: a new display mode that will share all the comments and show a navigation thumbnail bar in every items in that folder!
  • You'll probably want to check out your message page.
  • A complete list of new features will be available when I remember them all.

There are several more features planned for addition in the next few weeks that didn't make it into the first release. I have not yet decided on the final look for the latest updates and favorites on the userpage.

If you find any issues please respond in this thread, we track them all. Include screenshots and a description of how you made it happen.
If you have suggestions on what to add or change, not everything is set in stone yet, the framework is fairly flexible. Please respond in this thread.

Known Issues
  • Tag Colors don't comply with themes. Themes don't fully apply to all items.
  • Some text items and menus are not finalized

Click here for Full feature list (Work in progess)
Last edited by Eka on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: Adding link to full feature list, adding notice on Comic mode
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Re: g4 :: Gallery Upgrade Landmark

Postby Teruyo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 am

Hmm... One thing I see missing right away is the creator of the various pictures in your favorites list. All that's there is the thumbnail preview, the name, and how long ago it was that you added it to your favorites. Just a minor thing, but something to consider. Other than that, so far so good, and I'll let you know if I find anything else I think is amiss.
Teruyo
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby four_fleets » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:30 am

Hooray for tag voting!
  I wonder if you'll visit This thread?  

I finally found out how to use BBCcode.
four_fleets
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby French_snack » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:37 am

The changes I see today on my "Messages" page are rather neat on the whole, but I could do without the very childish "Please download a modern browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or IE9. Your browser sucks." message in obnoxious bright red at the top of the page, and of my profile page...

I know, I'm using this website for free, and I have no business complaining; it's up to you what you want to do. But it's pointless and silly and annoying. ;)
My short stories (210 so far, 211th coming when I have time to write it):
http://aryion.com/g3/showgallery.php?id=161506
French_snack
???

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 am

YAY! Great Job, i'm happy that its finally here :3
Loved it already in the beta test :D
You're welcome to visit my Gallery here on Ekas :3
(just click on the dancing girl)
Paradox
---

Re: New Gallery Software Beta Test

Postby vr_vr » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

I see we're running g4 now. Excelent.

Here's two things I found on the test site while live was down:

When I look at someone else's favourites I can still click delete/category, though it doesn't actually work. (Shouldn't be shown.)

When a gallery item has a long title it gets pushed up in an unfortunate manner. For example the last image in http://fenrir.aryion.com/g4/view/667
pushed.png
pushed.png (14.62 KiB) Viewed 35449 times

It's not possible to make them that long any more, though I tried "WWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWW W" which does a pretty good job too. (And yes, my font is still bigger than yours, but the problem can still happen.) Should be easy to truncate in album displays. (And favourites and wherever else, probably the same code.)
vr_vr
Been posting for a bit

Postby Superkoopatroopa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:55 am

Well it looks nice and all, haven't checked out all of the features yet. One thing I have a problem with though, is the new item menu. Namely, the thumbnails. Mostly because I don't really want to set any special thumbnail, just the default smaller image from before. But instead the thumbnail preview just shows up as the top left corner of the full sized image. The select tool thing does nothing. When I attempt to load it again, nothing loads and I have to cancel.

I've currently tried to get it right about... 5 times to no avail. And I don't want to clog up my folders and waste time manually making thumbnails.

Other than that it's looking fairly good...

EDIT: Okaaay, shows up with a default thumbnail once submitted.:/ Basically, the thumbnail preview is a bit wonkey.
---Self professed Simpsons Nerd---
Superkoopatroopa
New to the forum

Postby Imrhys » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Regarding messages: why are they grouped by poster now? Why can't I control how they are organized? Why are blogs no longer tracked in that little window at the top of the screen (the one with all the totals)?

This inability to see my most recent messages or scroll down through the images without having to sort through users first-- has left me feeling sick to my stomach. I prefer chronological viewing of my messages, so I wish we had some control over how they were viewable. And why does it now tell me so many of messages or favorites are deleted and demands i delete them without telling me what it was, like it used to do?

As I feared when looking through the beta stuff, this new gallery is a shock to my system and I hope it doesn't end up interfering in my comfort and usage of the gallery long term.

EDIT: Ummm, I can no longer just go look at peoples writing and artwork folders, I have to search function now? How do I search for something I don't know the name of because all I want to do is go look at folders?

EDIT: the tags are difficult to see because they tend to be the same color as the background instead of white like all other text. And highlighting them has thus far proven-- troublesome. Difficult to see where the cursor needs to go to highlight what is needed instead of random chunks of the entire posting/comments window.
Last edited by Imrhys on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imrhys
---

Postby Modeseven » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:35 pm

The new look.
....I don't like it. : I.
Modeseven
Somewhat familiar

Postby Leshana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Superkoopatroopa wrote:Well it looks nice and all, haven't checked out all of the features yet. One thing I have a problem with though, is the new item menu. Namely, the thumbnails. Mostly because I don't really want to set any special thumbnail, just the default smaller image from before. But instead the thumbnail preview just shows up as the top left corner of the full sized image. The select tool thing does nothing.

Can you tell me what web browser you are using and provide some screenshots? I have tested the thumbnail preview in Firefox 3.6, 4.x, 5.x, Chrome 12 and Opera 10, and it works for me in all these.
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Postby ichbinich » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Woohoo! New gallery is here!

Just one question, is there any way to disable the Random Item feature, and make it show only the selected submission?
ichbinich
SHARK!

Postby Eka » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Nitro_Titan wrote:The new look.
....I don't like it. : I.

We certainly don't expect everyone to like it, but the look are chosen as a balance between browser compatibility, resolution and allow flexibility to modifies each user's gallery look. Go try and change it. If you have any suggestion we are happy to investigate. But the beta been there for almost a month now and this is the first time we heard such a vague and board statement like "I don't like it".

Regarding messages: why are they grouped by poster now?

Cause it is a new design following standard usability practice from most other site.

Why can't I control how they are organized?

Cause they are not done yet. Like all software we use on this site they improve overtime rather then trying to be perfect right on the spot. You simply can not test a system and get everything out without some real usage. We have the beta going on for almost a month now that is open for everyone, but only now we are getting words that some thing are disliked.

Why are blogs no longer tracked in that little window at the top of the screen (the one with all the totals)

Not actually sure what you mean but we can probably add it.

I prefer chronological viewing of my message

We will have more sorting option later, those are planned.

I can no longer just go look at peoples writing and artwork folders, I have to search function now?

No, you just click on "Gallery". Those are their artwork folders. You can sort it by A-Z like it used to. We no longer separate writing and drawing since it was misleading anyway. Most people have both.

Okaaay, shows up with a default thumbnail once submitted.:/ Basically, the thumbnail preview is a bit wonkey.

Seem like some button are left in that should not work. IF you want to have it work the same as how it used it, simply browse to the file, enter description and pick vore or non-vore, then click ok. No need to touch the thumbnail editor if you don't want to use it.

the tags are difficult to see because they tend to be the same color as the background instead of white like all other text. And highlighting them has thus far proven-- troublesome. Difficult to see where the cursor needs to go to highlight what is needed instead of random chunks of the entire posting/comments window.

Where is it difficult to see? If it is just the item page then it is up to the artist how they want to color their page. It should be the same as before unless they changed it to a different color after g4 is out. Which would still be the same as they changes it in g3 anyway.

Just one question, is there any way to disable the Random Item feature, and make it show only the selected submission?

Not yet, do you think that is necessary?
Eka
Administrator

Postby sansuki » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Two things. First, I think we really, really need an option to just browse the galleries by folder. Not so much for the veterans here, but for newbies to just flit around that way and more conveniently see what's around. Not to say that the latest updates thing isn't needed, but the option of browsing by author folder is something that would be a real shame to lose.

Edit: Eka posted while I posted. I think the ability to look at only writing folders or only RP folders would still be nice, though.

The second is, while I do like the default thumbnail for writing being the first few sentences of my stories, I do NOT like the fact that every single one of my thumbnails starts with "UNTITLED". >.>
sansuki
---

Postby ichbinich » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Eka wrote:

Not yet, do you think that is necessary?

Ah well, I'd just prefer to be able to select what is displayed. It keeps showing some of my older, crappy art. I don't want to delete that old art, but I rather not have it displayed as example on my profile page either ^^;
ichbinich
SHARK!

Postby Eka » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

sansuki wrote:Edit: Eka posted while I posted. I think the ability to look at only writing folders or only RP folders would still be nice, though.

It is nice in theory, but we can't really do it properly. People don't actually only put writing and drawing in their folders.

The second is, while I do like the default thumbnail for writing being the first few sentences of my stories, I do NOT like the fact that every single one of my thumbnails starts with "UNTITLED". >.>

We can probably look into that later.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Imrhys » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:16 pm

I can no longer just go look at peoples writing and artwork folders, I have to search function now?

No, you just click on "Gallery". Those are their artwork folders. You can sort it by A-Z like it used to. We no longer separate writing and drawing since it was misleading anyway. Most people have both.

Options Under Gallery
Tag Browsing
Tag Approvals
Writing
Video
Tag Cloud
Commission List
Latest updates

When I click 'writing' I get a random list of selected files, not folders of users like we used to. And as you can see there is no option for artwork. There are no other buttons on the screen besides from the file search system or moving forward through windows of random files. Without a means of seeing who all is available to search through and no means of just 'flipping through' browsing all the folders on the site like we used to... this is daunting task. This also means that our contributors don't have the visibility they used to have. At least in my opinion.

EDIT: never mind.
Imrhys
---

Postby Eka » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Imrhys wrote:When I click 'writing' I get a random list of selected files, not folders of users like we used to.

Click on "Gallery" to get a list of folders. We no longer have Writing and drawing specific folder divided into two section because most of our user do not put only writing and drawing in their gallery.

The drop down will be updated later when Leshana have a chance, linking to a search page is an oversight rather then intentional.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Cruich » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:27 pm

I love it. Especially the colours.

I was surprised at the concatenation of the writing and drawing folders when I checked the latest updates, but I was glad to see it. I always checked both anyway, and it hardly mattered that there were two, since I kept seeing writing in the drawing updates and drawings in the writing updates. I see you have a link to a page of search results showing only the latest writing now, which seems to work well.

Aside from being prettier, this system also looks more flexible, and I'll be interested to see those incremental improvements you mentioned as well.

Edit:
A tag blacklist! I don't remember seeing that before, but that's great! I've been wishing to see that sort of thing in the forums, as well. Does it work on authors as well? (To make certain author's submissions excluded from search results).
Last edited by Cruich on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruich
Participator

Postby sansuki » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Eka wrote:
Imrhys wrote:When I click 'writing' I get a random list of selected files, not folders of users like we used to.

Click on "Gallery" to get a list of folders. We no longer have Writing and drawing specific folder divided into two section because most of our user do not put only writing and drawing in their gallery.

I have to continue picking at this. No, it's not absolute, and nor should it be. But it did give a list of users who primarily self-identified as writers, and being able to randomly browse the folders of that subset of people was a feature I liked a lot.
sansuki
---

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I have a little question (didn't realized that in the Beta test as well)

My Selection menu in the gallery for "Tag browsing" & "Tag Cloud" lead both to the "Tag Cloud".
Is that intended?
If Yes: i would suggest leading directely to the tag seacher. (Just my Opinion)
Last edited by Paradox on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to visit my Gallery here on Ekas :3
(just click on the dancing girl)
Paradox
---

Next

Return to Technical stuff