Best way to upload illustrated stories?

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Best way to upload illustrated stories?

Postby Tsutsukakushi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:04 am

Firstly, apologies if this is not the best forum, none of them really seemed like a match for this question. But since it is pretty technical, here we go:

What is the best way to share a story with accompanying illustration(s) in my gallery?

As far as I can see, all my options have drawbacks:

1: Embed image(s) in Word or PDF file
Drawbacks:
People can't easily save the full rez image if they like it.
Those not interested in reading may miss the picture.

2: Upload story and image(s) separately
Drawbacks:
Image may be a spoiler for the story.
Won't appear in the natural context of the story since they have to be viewed separately.
Having to use a folder for every story to keep them together with their illustrations makes for a sub-par gallery browsing experience.

In the end, I may have to use a combination of the above, both embedding and separately uploading the images. I'm curious if there is a better way to do it.
Tsutsukakushi
New to the forum

Re: Best way to upload illustrated stories?

Postby Leshana » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:51 am

If you embed images in word documents, they actually do show up in the preview, users do not have to download the word document to see them.
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Postby Tsutsukakushi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 am

After testing some more, it appears that pictures not only show up (which I knew), but also are actually the full resolution pictures simply displayed in the scale specified in the document, In other words, full rez can be downloaded through right-click, so that's nice!

I do have a followup question or two after my experiments:
1) Is there any way I can have more control over the appearance of my stories in the text viewer?
I'd really like a pure white background.
I'd really, really like shorter page/line width, it's quite annoying to read on 1900px+ monitors.
I'd love it if it didn't arbitrarily change my font to Times New Roman when I'm using something better in the document.

2) Are there requirements for pdf upload to work? Or is it simply unsupported?
I tried once, and the gallery page just says "This item cannot be displayed embedded in the browser."

Thank you for your time helping me ^_^
Tsutsukakushi
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:02 pm

Tsutsukakushi wrote:1) Is there any way I can have more control over the appearance of my stories in the text viewer?

I'd really like a pure white background.
I'd really, really like shorter page/line width, it's quite annoying to read on 1900px+ monitors.
I'd love it if it didn't arbitrarily change my font to Times New Roman when I'm using something better in the document.

Not really. Document conversation is really an unsolved problem. Most site don't even bother let you upload embedded document for that reason. Unless you manually edit it into html code. It will never display exactly how you like it after a conversion. We tried many different type of converter and Openoffice converter is really the best we can get.

As for the viewing experience. It is still in the work. When we can commit some time to it we will let everyone know.

2) Are there requirements for pdf upload to work? Or is it simply unsupported?
I tried once, and the gallery page just says "This item cannot be displayed embedded in the browser."

embedded PDF is unsupported. People are still free to upload it and let viewer download them as PDF, but they won't show up in the page. We might add this feature in the future.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff