The video section could use some work (constructive feedback

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

The video section could use some work (constructive feedback

Postby no_one_you_know » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:30 am

Ok a little drunk right now but still. The video bit on this website could use some attention. Especially since thevoretube was recently died. Now I know no one likes when people bitch about things here. I don't like it either, but we must embrace critique as it helps us improve!

Ok so first off. Pause a video. What happens? A popup covering the whole vid with the embed code. What? Come on now. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Look the embed code needs to be underneath the video, that's how other sites like youtube and (insert whatever) does it! I mean, maybe I want to pause and fab at a given moment in a video or whatever. I can't think of any media player, web based or otherwise, that obscures the image you are pausing. As John Oliver would say, "It's 2016!"

While we're at it, mute button. What does it do? Well it mutes, but it also displays an annoying mute symbol over the video. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Come on now. The mute button already toggles the symbol of speaker/slashed speaker. What purpose does this serve?

Now for the big one. "Hoverboxes are barely implemented for videos. Maybe someday" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Look, that's not cool. This message has been up for years. Don't pretend you don't know what I mean. I mean when you hover over the video on the homepage you get this placeholder message. I'm a web developer and let me tell you, I'd lose my job if I did something like this! Now it's not an issue with the javascript, it's actually hard coded into the server-side json data. See here: http://aryion.com/front/front4loader.ph ... d=vid-1776 Ick!

So what? Who cares? Don't like the interface just download a video. What's the big deal? Well Eka's Portal is the biggest website in the vore community. Hell, we are the vore community in a de-facto way. We mustn't seem so unprofessional.

Now I'm not just out to complain. I want to help! I've got some ideas:
  1. Upgrade JW player: I doubt we have the latest version.
  2. Convert to a webm player: will use the browser's native player to display videos. Also would work on a lot of mobile devices
  3. Just throwing this out there: What if all the custom bits of Eka's were open sourced? Anyone with some coding skill could help fix broken/incomplete features. Leshana would of course still be in charge of approving pull requests and what gets added to the live site, but it would ease the burden a bit

What does everyone think? I know it's all just minor stuff. But how awesome would it be to finally patch it all up?
no_one_you_know
Somewhat familiar

Re: The video section could use some work (constructive feed

Postby Eka » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:55 pm

The video section is largely a legacy system that let people upload and share common video clips they found. It is kinda like a mini-youtube except you won't get taken down due to sexual nature or copyright issue that easily.

For people who actually create their own stuff. Gallery actually support video just fine without those issue.

Keep in mind, nobody here do this as a job. This site is completely volunteer with no ads and no payment requirement. So don't compare us as "paid" staff who is going to fix everything. Some part of the site (Like sharing found video clips) are really here more for conveniences purpose. Those type of content are not going to be our focus and therefore don't expect a lot of programming attention on them. Our primary focus will always be user created, original content (where you will find in the gallery).

Having said that, of course. We will work on replacing them later. Work is currently underway. When we can commit to any type of time line or have any information to provide we will be happy to list them.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff