Greasemonkey - Hide Blocked User Submissions & Comments

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Greasemonkey - Hide Blocked User Submissions & Comments

Postby ScrambleandClick » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:09 pm

If you're like me, there are probably times where you get flustered that there's stuff appearing in your messages or in tag browsing that should've not been there or blacklisted. This can be due improper untagging or the unnerving items being in the same feeds that you want to watch. Yet, blocking a user doesn't put any visible blocker for their submissions in either of these cases.

So I whipped one up myself over the course of yesterday and today to filter out certain users from my feed. I wonder if anyone else will find this useful.

Source code: https://bitbucket.org/ScrambleandClick/ ... ew-default

After grabbing it, open
Code: Select all
about:blank?config=ekas_utils.user_blocker
and enter the usernames, one per line, for the ones you want to filter out.

Tested on: Firefox 47.0.1

Design Philosophy:
  • Simple to apply, simple to remove. Even with the script active, all you have to do is remove the stylesheet appended to the bottom of the HTML body with your browser's dev tools.
  • Make it easy for you to forget who's been scrawling those comments. That's why everything, from name to the avatar to the comments, is blotted or faded out.
  • Goes the extra mile. Blocked users have their entire pages inaccessible until the stylesheet is removed. Why? Because if they're likely posting offsetting content, you likely don't want to see what's been going on in their shoutbox or blog either.

Caveats:
  • This can't block fanfiction yet. At least until everything that is fanfiction gets properly tagged with a generic tag that specifies that.
  • Oh gods it just sticks out when applied to another user's profile with custom styling. I'll need to use computedStyle later.
  • Can't filter out user/tag combinations yet even though I'd like this. It'd require the same tag data be available in other views showing items.
  • Context sensitive blacklists haven't been written yet. EG: You don't want to see a user's things when tag browsing, but are fine with checking out their gallery manually.
  • The UI for configuring is pretty ugly.
ScrambleandClick
Participator

Re: Greasemonkey - Hide Blocked User Submissions & Comments

Postby Celestia » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:53 am

or, you know, you could just avoid their page if it's that big of a deal and use the "Exclude tag/user" in the search function.
Celestia
Somewhat familiar

Postby ScrambleandClick » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:16 am

Celestia wrote:or, you know, you could just avoid their page if it's that big of a deal and use the "Exclude tag/user" in the search function.

I do use that functionality. There are cases that aren't covered by just that.

EG: Demon pred + Digestion. They're not things I want to exclusively block, but would have to do it on a per user basis. A clientside solution is best for things like this since:

1. Server side blacklists and blocks do not prevent these from showing in your message page.
2. Excluding a user from a search is incredibly obscure.
3. Server side blocking of communication can be incredibly weird if the other person finds interest in your content. Undoing the effects of the script is easy since it just adds a stylesheet and some additional classes.
4. Deleting related comments doesn't jive with me due to my obsession with archiving things.
5. This works while you're not logged in.

In short, there's probably cases you haven't encountered while browsing to warrant this. I'm all right with that. I'm just confused why you took a snarky tone with your reply.
ScrambleandClick
Participator

Postby CharlieC » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 am

Celestia wrote:or, you know, you could just avoid their page if it's that big of a deal and use the "Exclude tag/user" in the search function.

It should be noted that this doesn't prevent blocked users from appearing in your inbox if they post something for a tag you're watching. If I'm reading correctly, this script does.
CharlieC
???

Postby ScrambleandClick » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:04 pm

Huh, GM_config wasn't as foolproof as I thought for showing a GUI. It reads, but doesn't write back.

Going back to rolling out my own GUI for configuring this. This may take a while.

This is fixed now. The new UI for configging isn't that flashy, but it's better than what was there before w/GM_config and the previous implementation.
ScrambleandClick
Participator

Return to Technical stuff