Three Letter Forum Search

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Three Letter Forum Search

Postby Purrloin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:31 pm

As you've probably already figured out, you cannot search for things on the forum that only contain three letters. This includes:

Cat
Dog
Maw
POV
Fox
Rat
Cow
Pig
Egg
Gas
Ate
Eat
Gut
etc

So if you wanted to search for "fox ate pig" you wouldn't be able to because they're all three letter words. If you wanted to search the forum for POV vore you won't be able to because POV is three letters. You can't find cat or dog vore either.

This needs to be fixed, because I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to search the words maw or pov or dog.
Purrloin
Participator

Re: Three Letter Forum Search

Postby eatmeplease » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:01 pm

I tend to agree. I don't understand why they have the limit either.
eatmeplease
---

Postby Erecant » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Well, I imagine the reasoning lies in the nature of forums and databases. Searching is actually quite intensive, and is entirely pushed off onto the server's resources. Your local machine isn't doing the search. Typically these sorts of restrictions are put into place as a means to limit fake searches, and ease the load on the server, lest there be a crash or some vulnerability.

A common attack against databases (forums are really just pretty databases, after all) is to spam nonsense queries (searches) in order to overload the server. Search minimum time spacing, and minimum search length both are decent efforts to prevent these attacks.

All that said, maybe these restrictions aren't valid options here, or maybe they are? Without seeing the traffic and attack logs it is hard to tell. It can be easy enough to work around these limitations, and if spending a few moments more wording your search is the cost of a more healthy Eka's, with more Up-Time and speed,m I'm certainly willing to take the extra time to refine my search terms.

--Erecant
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Purrloin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:31 pm

For things like POV there simply isn't a way to reword that. Sure you can search for "point view" because "of" won't be searched but 90% of the time when someone posts a POV type thing they only say POV and not the full phrase.

Same goes for pig, you can't reword pig. You can say swine but literally no one does that so you're out of luck there too. It's just a massive inconvenience.
Purrloin
Participator

Postby Halcyon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Eka's Portal doesn't use its own forum software, it uses software developed by a third party that a lot of people use. So, the chances are that it would be impossible for the devs of this site to make a change like that.

However, the GALLERY software we use is, in fact, home made :) and, luckily for us, you CAN search the gallery using three letter words. I would recommend doing that instead anyway, you're much more likely to get way better hits anyway than searching the forum itself!

http://aryion.com/g4/tags.php
Halcyon
???

Postby Purrloin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:04 pm

Trust me, I've far more than exhausted every resource within the gallery. I've been here since '06, I've gone through all the art relevant to my interests but unfortunately I can't search the forum for the same phrases.
Purrloin
Participator

Postby Rendezvore » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:20 am

Put asterixes around the word.

*pig*

Brings up pig, piggy, piglet... etc
Rendezvore
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Purrloin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 am

But if you do that for "cat" you get location, vacation, catch, anything with cat in it.
Purrloin
Participator

Postby Eka » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Just do something like this https://www.google.com/search?#q=site:a ... om+cat+-g4 it is the best we can do.

Search is always going to be "needing more improvement" and we really don't plan on spending the time and resource to improve it further.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff