Any way to block posts from a certain usename?

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Any way to block posts from a certain usename?

Postby unicorn » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Is there a way to make it so you filter/don't see posts from a user who tends to flood the art or stories section?

I don't expect this to be an option, but you never know. Maybe it's possible and i've missed it...
unicorn
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Any way to block posts from a certain usename?

Postby diablodevil2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 pm

The closest I've found is to block tags of their characters, usernames, and anything else that shows up only/most often on their work.
diablodevil2
Author

Postby night22 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:59 pm

I've been asking for this feature for the past couple years, and most users generally agreed in the threads, but nothing's been done to improve the site. We've hit a stagnation point.

diablodevil2 wrote:The closest I've found is to block tags of their characters, usernames, and anything else that shows up only/most often on their work.

The problem is a lot of shitty art also has generic character names. There was talk of an auto tagging feature that would force the artists name into the tags, so you could filter that, but nothing ever came to be.
night22
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ShadesofBlack » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:36 pm

From the perspective of a wanna-be-artist, I really don't like this idea. I get where you are coming from with it, but as I understand it, this site is for the artists first, and the viewers second. No one makes you look at their art, but you might have to at least click past it. A little repetitive effort that could get annoying, but not much of anything compared with the artists' effort to continue generating new stuff.

The reason I don't like this idea is that it could quickly create an atmosphere where Newbie Artist submits their first, very rough and kinda bad work, and almost everyone blocks them because they don't want to see more of that. A year later, Newbie Artist has gotten a lot better, and been posting gradual improvements all along... but no one ever comments or gives them feedback, positive or negative, aside from maybe a rare few favs from 1 or 2 folks who don't use the block feature very much, or weren't around when Newbie Artist first started. So Newbie Artist gives up.

I get the intent, and it wouldn't be that much different from what we all probably do when an artist or author we know we don't particularly like posts stuff and just scroll past it; but when I still see a title and header, I'm always at least tempted to check and see "what is this?" if it's something that fits my interests. Also my memory isn't that great. So I feel that there's always a chance for an improving artist to start gaining more followers and fans from audiences who previously didn't know or didn't care for their work. I feel like this would put more pressure on new artists to make sure whatever the first thing they post is amazing, because otherwise, there will be a large portion of folks who will never even SEE their posts or consider their work again.
-Shades
ShadesofBlack
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby WHTB » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:34 pm

I wrote a Greasemonkey script to do this, but it had a few issues so I never got around to finishing it.

Yeah, it's a great idea. It just might never come to the server side. Maybe some day I'll finish off the Greasemonkey script. In the meantime I'll let the random piece of art I'm actually interested in that pops up in the "new" feed blow by without me noticing it, and retreat to the safety of my messages page where I don't have to deal with the 99% of other stuff here.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Journeyman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:39 pm

I'll share against my better judgement.
Install Greasemonkey (Firefox and Chrome), then use the script below, replacing "USERNAME" with any username you wish to block. Within threads, this should cause any such posts to vanish rather thoroughly.

My personal life recommendation: toggle the script on if you're upset about someone and are in danger of making a hostile post. Turn the script off when you're in a better mood. 'Cuz skipping over parts of the discussion ultimately is not going to help :)

Spoiler: show
// ==UserScript==
// @name Hide User
// @namespace aryionUserHide
// @include *aryion*/forum/*
// @include *aryion*/*
// @version 1
// @require http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jq ... ery.min.js
// @grant GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

var userList = ["USERNAME" , "USERNAME"];

var arrayLength = userList.length;
for (var i = 0; i < arrayLength; i++) {
var name = userList[i];

// Make a post go byebye.
var filter = ":contains('"+name+"')";
$('.post').filter(filter).hide();

// Make an item from Latest Updates go byebye.
var filter = ":contains('"+name+"')";
$('.detail-item').filter(filter).hide();

}

Modification is pretty easy here. For any element on a page, find the class of its container (.post and .detail-item in this case) and add it.

Edited to include the Latest Updates section, in case that was what was wanted...
Last edited by Journeyman on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Journeyman.
Journeyman
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby nicktaken » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:51 pm

If you mean forum posts, then just adding them to your "foe" list should do the trick. Their posts will then be collapsed into one line warning you this post is from a user on your "foe" list (with the option to view it regardless).
I write stuff, sometimes: GALLERY
nicktaken
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby WHTB » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:26 pm

Well, that wasn't so bad.

I rewrote the user user script entirely from scratch and made it a bit better this time. This only works on the Latest Updates pages (aryion.com/g4/*), and not yet on the main page. The main page will probably be an entirely different beast to handle. Still, it should save some time scrolling!

It uses local storage to store the list of artists and writers you don't want to see. So the list isn't tied to your account here. It also keeps different lists between the http:// and https:// versions of the site (but you should all be using https:// anyway, so it doesn't matter).

Also, it doesn't load more than what's on a single page. So if you've blocked all the artists on a page you'll see nothing but the unblock button list. With some more work it could probably develop into something that pulls more pages from the server to try to assemble one page of 50 unblocked images, but that is for another time, too.

Code: Select all
// ==UserScript==
// @name         Eka's Portal Disinterest Filter
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Filter out artists you don't like on Eka's Portal.
// @author       Kiri Nakatomi aka WHTB
// @match        http*://aryion.com/g4/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

var badUserList = [];

// Keep track of which users we've actually hidden, so we can display unblock buttons for them.
    var currentUserHiddenList = [];

// Save the bad user list to local storage.
    function saveData()
    {
        localStorage.setItem("whtb-blocklist", badUserList.join());
    }

// Load the bad user list from local storage.
    function loadData()
    {
        badUserList = localStorage.getItem("whtb-blocklist");
        if(badUserList === null) {
            badUserList = "";
        }
        badUserList = badUserList.split(",");
        for(var i = 0; i < badUserList.length; i++) {
            console.log("Loaded bad user: " + badUserList[i]);
        }
    }
    loadData();

// Block a user by name.
    function blockUser(username)
    {
        badUserList = badUserList.concat([username]);
        refreshPage();
        saveData();
    }

// Unblock a user by name.
    function unblockUser(username)
    {
        var index = badUserList.indexOf(username);
        if(index != -1) {
            badUserList.splice(index, 1);
        }
        refreshPage();
        saveData();
    }

// Refresh OUR data on the page. (Doesn't cause an actual page request.)
    function refreshPage()
    {
        currentUserHiddenList = [];

// Handle the g4/latest.php page with this.
        var galleryBox = document.getElementsByClassName("g-box-contents");
        if(galleryBox.length > 0) {
            galleryBox = galleryBox[0];

// Create or find the existing unblock button box, then clear it out so we can rebuild it.
            var unblockButtonBox = document.getElementsByClassName("whtb-unblock-box");
            if(unblockButtonBox.length === 0) {
                unblockButtonBox = document.createElement("div");
                unblockButtonBox.className = "whtb-unblock-box";
                galleryBox.insertBefore(unblockButtonBox, galleryBox.firstChild);
            } else {
                unblockButtonBox = unblockButtonBox[0];
            }
            unblockButtonBox.innerHTML = "Unblock buttons: ";

// Clear out existing block buttons from the last iteration.
            var existingBlockButtons = document.getElementsByClassName("whtb-block-button");
            while(existingBlockButtons.length > 0) {
                existingBlockButtons[0].parentElement.removeChild(existingBlockButtons[0]);
            }

// Iterate over galley entries.
            var items = galleryBox.getElementsByClassName("detail-item");
            for(i = 0; i < items.length; i++) {

// We'll just assume that the first user link is the user that posted it.
                // Be careful, because this can also point to comments made by users.
                var userLink = items[i].getElementsByClassName("user-link");
                if(userLink.length > 0) {
                    userLink = userLink[0];

var username = userLink.innerHTML;

if(badUserList.indexOf(username) != -1) {

// Found someone we want to block. Hide the element and add to our
                        // list of unblock buttons.
                        items[i].style.display = "none";
                        if(currentUserHiddenList.indexOf(username) == -1) {
                            currentUserHiddenList = currentUserHiddenList.concat([username]);
                        }

} else {

// This user is fine, but just in case we want to block them, we
                        // better add a block button. We could also be coming in from an
                        // unblock command, so we need to reset the visibility.
                        items[i].style.display = "";

// Set up the block button.
                        var hideButton = document.createElement("BUTTON");
                        hideButton.innerHTML = "Block";
                        hideButton.className = "whtb-block-button";
                        // (This is the point where I tell everyone that function
                        // level scope is fucking pants-on-head retarded.)
                        var setupButton = function(un) {
                            hideButton.onclick = function() {
                                blockUser(un);
                            };
                        };
                        setupButton(username);

// Stick this right next to the username.
                        userLink.parentElement.insertBefore(hideButton, userLink.nextSibling);
                    }
                }
            }

// Generate the "Unblock button" list at the top.
            currentUserHiddenList.sort();
            for(i = 0; i < currentUserHiddenList.length; i++) {
                var restoreButton = document.createElement("BUTTON");
                restoreButton.innerHTML = currentUserHiddenList[i];
                unblockButtonBox.appendChild(restoreButton);
                var setupUnblockButton = function(un) {
                    restoreButton.onclick = function() {
                        unblockUser(un);
                    };
                };
                setupUnblockButton(currentUserHiddenList[i]);
            }
        }
    }

// Now just do an initial refresh.
    refreshPage();

})();

PS I hate webdev please don't make me do any more of this.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MementoMori » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Another option to work around this in a way that would be more positive and still give fledgling artists/authors a chance without people blocking them, would be if a daily limit was implemented for how many pictures or stories could be uploaded, like say 5 or something. Then no one would ever accidentally post too much on the front page at once because it wouldn't be possible. I personally try to never post more than 4 or so pictures in one day at the maximum, usually much less than even that, just as a common courtesy to my watchers and my fellow artists who want their share of reasonable front-page time. I know it makes me a little sad when a picture I drew gets pushed off the front page in less than 30 minutes or something, it's not fun when that happens.
[ ʟɪᴠᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅʏɪɴɢ ]
MementoMori
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby night22 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:39 am

MementoMori wrote:Another option to work around this in a way that would be more positive and still give fledgling artists/authors a chance without people blocking them, would be if a daily limit was implemented for how many pictures or stories could be uploaded, like say 5 or something. Then no one would ever accidentally post too much on the front page at once because it wouldn't be possible. I personally try to never post more than 4 or so pictures in one day at the maximum, usually much less than even that, just as a common courtesy to my watchers and my fellow artists who want their share of reasonable front-page time. I know it makes me a little sad when a picture I drew gets pushed off the front page in less than 30 minutes or something, it's not fun when that happens.

A daily limit is even worse than allowing people to block artists they don't wish to see. You're essentially throttling the work of artists, shitty or not, forcing them to slow their pace and upload at weird intervals.

I've noticed artists I don't like tend to swarm-post, while the ones I do post at slower intervals. Having the front page filled with undesirables is fine, since I can ignore it, but having an artist I don't like showing up in my subscriptions of watched tags over and over again with no way to stop the flow is annoying on a daily basis. It's not the number, it's the person.
night22
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby MementoMori » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:38 am

night22 wrote:
A daily limit is even worse than allowing people to block artists they don't wish to see. You're essentially throttling the work of artists, shitty or not, forcing them to slow their pace and upload at weird intervals.

I've noticed artists I don't like tend to swarm-post, while the ones I do post at slower intervals. Having the front page filled with undesirables is fine, since I can ignore it, but having an artist I don't like showing up in my subscriptions of watched tags over and over again with no way to stop the flow is annoying on a daily basis. It's not the number, it's the person.

Well I mean most art archives already have a limit, or at least used to, so..?
Maybe there could be a flood control per hour or something? 5 per hour, then that would still be a lot allowed per day? Well either way it was just a suggestion.
[ ʟɪᴠᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅʏɪɴɢ ]
MementoMori
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby YoukaiChan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:51 am

I remember a year or so back, someone on FA made a script that had multiple functions like artist and tag filtering, and an anti-flood filter that didn't necessarily HIDE flooded submissions, but grouped them together into a single collapsible thumbnail that you could click to reveal how many submissions by the same user were posted in succession.

Sadly the script isn't supported anymore and has stopped working, but i imagine something like that would be neat. Although, speaking as someone with absolutly zero knowledge in writing scripts...I imagine it would also be pretty complicated to work on. @_@

((Although I must thank Journeyman for the script they provided - it works well. :) ))
The Incredible, Edible Catgirl is at your service!(Or...maybe not. D:)
YoukaiChan
Intermediate Vorarephile

Location: NOT being eaten by a dragon (*coughImeansomewhereinQuebec*)

Postby maleperduis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:00 pm

ShadesofBlack wrote:From the perspective of a wanna-be-artist, I really don't like this idea. I get where you are coming from with it, but as I understand it, this site is for the artists first, and the viewers second. No one makes you look at their art, but you might have to at least click past it. A little repetitive effort that could get annoying, but not much of anything compared with the artists' effort to continue generating new stuff.

The reason I don't like this idea is that it could quickly create an atmosphere where Newbie Artist submits their first, very rough and kinda bad work, and almost everyone blocks them because they don't want to see more of that. A year later, Newbie Artist has gotten a lot better, and been posting gradual improvements all along... but no one ever comments or gives them feedback, positive or negative, aside from maybe a rare few favs from 1 or 2 folks who don't use the block feature very much, or weren't around when Newbie Artist first started. So Newbie Artist gives up.

I get the intent, and it wouldn't be that much different from what we all probably do when an artist or author we know we don't particularly like posts stuff and just scroll past it; but when I still see a title and header, I'm always at least tempted to check and see "what is this?" if it's something that fits my interests. Also my memory isn't that great. So I feel that there's always a chance for an improving artist to start gaining more followers and fans from audiences who previously didn't know or didn't care for their work. I feel like this would put more pressure on new artists to make sure whatever the first thing they post is amazing, because otherwise, there will be a large portion of folks who will never even SEE their posts or consider their work again.

I guess this is possible, but I feel like most people aren't going to fire the "block" gun quite so casually. For example, people sometimes upload commissions they get from others, so somebody uploading not-so-good art doesn't mean I'll never want to see anything in their gallery. Or some people are bad artists but good writers.

Personally I'd really like this feature at the moment because of somebody consistently uploading content that I find extremely disturbing. There's no reason I can imagine for wanting to unblock them in the future.
maleperduis
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby WHTB » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:27 pm

I looked into modifying my script to also work on the front page list of new drawings/writing, but it looks like the username is never presented in the copy of the page we get from the server. It shows up when you hover over a thumbnail because it fetches extra data from the server. Fetching that data automatically for each image for the sake of censoring the art we're not interested in would cause a higher load on the server than what it normally endures, so I won't be adding that feature to my script unless I can figure out a way around that.

If the front page is really showing content that's outright disturbing, maybe I could modify the script to snip out the entire section from the page, or just replace it with an iframe to the latest updates page.

I recommend anyone interested try out the script I posted. If you're on Chrome, you can do it through the Tampermonkey plugin. On other browsers, there are equivalents, like Greasemonkey for Firefox. It add some super-convenient block and unblock buttons for each artist, it causes no additional load on the server, and it keeps track of all the artists you've blocked via local storage.

Here's a screenshot of my script in action. Note that the list of blocked artists here is NOT the list I use normally. It is just an example list using the first few artists from the top of the Latest Updates page. I actually follow some of those artists and would never block them. So please don't be offended if you see your name in the list.
Attachments
blockbuttons.png
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby dst3313 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:04 am

This is pretty cool.

Not to be a feature-request nag, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to collapse the list of unblock buttons under a single "Unblock blocked artists" button, and then have that button persistently (even if there's zero artists on that particular page to unblock).

Cause sometimes, you don't even want to see the username of the artist(s) you're blocking, ya know? :-D
dst3313
Somewhat familiar

Postby WHTB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:12 pm

dst3313 wrote:This is pretty cool.

Not to be a feature-request nag, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to collapse the list of unblock buttons under a single "Unblock blocked artists" button, and then have that button persistently (even if there's zero artists on that particular page to unblock).

Cause sometimes, you don't even want to see the username of the artist(s) you're blocking, ya know? :-D

I'll give it a shot when I have some time. Should be pretty straightforward.
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby tigercloud » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:37 pm

May I missed it but how to use this Script? Have I to use it like the "Force-Save-Password" Script and save it as Bookmark then run if I wanna use it?

Nice work btw =)

Edit: Found how^^
Edit 2: Your Script has a Typo, it won't worked for me (Don't show me Buttons)
Edit 3: I found the Bug. I fixed it on my Local-Machine:

Search for this Line:

Replace it with this line:
for(var i = 0; i < currentUserHiddenList.length; i++) {

Finally I can block some extreme "Advertiser" on this Site, thank you, it was getting annoying for me *hug* Maybe I will try to expand this Script for the Message Area, if you allow it
Angel GTS Vore-Artist - My Gallery
---
Check out the Ekas Disinterest Filter
tigercloud
Participator

Postby WHTB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 pm

tigercloud wrote:Search for this Line:

Replace it with this line:
for(var i = 0; i < currentUserHiddenList.length; i++) {

That's *really* weird, because the variable i is used before then. I did forget to declare it, though. I decided to throw in declarations in both places (because they're just inside the for-loops) thinking foolishly that the scoping rules in Javascript were anything remotely like C/C++. The evil of function-level scope strikes again! The variable is declared outside of those places now, but I hate Javascript a little more.

Finally I can block some extreme "Advertiser" on this Site, thank you, it was getting annoying for me *hug* Maybe I will try to expand this Script for the Message Area, if you allow it

Glad you like it! You can change is as much as you want. I put it up on GitHub, so anyone can make pull requests here: https://github.com/KiriNakatomi/EkasPor ... restFilter
WHTB
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby tigercloud » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 am

Alright! Nice to know i will start to work on soon ;)

Yeah Javascript has some special "things"... ^^ I'm not a fan of this language at all

Edit: Forked and worked a little on it but it's not finished yet (For user the only visible change is a confirmation and that not on every page is "block buttons" like before)
Spoiler: show
example_block.jpg
Angel GTS Vore-Artist - My Gallery
---
Check out the Ekas Disinterest Filter
tigercloud
Participator

Postby Altimos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:46 pm

WHTB wrote:
Glad you like it! You can change is as much as you want. I put it up on GitHub, so anyone can make pull requests here: https://github.com/KiriNakatomi/EkasPor ... restFilter

Awesome script, I just downloaded Tampermonkey and installed your script... works swimmingly.

I took a class on Javascript, but it was only an introductory one as my degree path doesn't really call for it so VA won't pay for any advanced classes that isn't associated with my degree path. I took a look at your script and it appears to be a little over my head. Is there any way possible for a script like this for hiding tags instead of users? For example, hiding posts with the tag "Hard Vore" or "M/M" just to name a couple?

I took the class hoping to gain some knowledge to create plugins for RPG Maker MV if I chose to move from VX Ace to MV someday.

Altimos
Ancient Reckoning Chronicles

I also roleplay, but cannot find a site yet to display a good enough interpretation of my preferences. So... just ask me.
Altimos
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to Technical stuff