Git server for game developers

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Git server for game developers

Postby MirceaKitsune » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:32 pm

I had this idea I thought to bring up a while back. Especially as someone who creates and wants to support open-source vore games, which are something rather lacking in the community and which this could offer quite a bit of help to. Since it's a technical site thing, I decided to post it here rather than the Vore Game section, even if that's the audience this is targeted to.

Most coders use the revision tool known as Git to transfer and keep track of changes to their assets and code. The most popular service for that is Github, which not only offers hosting but also its own features for forking, bug tracking, pull requests, search, and more. There are a lot of projects of all sorts on there, from software to full quality games... in my case I use Gitlab to host my own game Vore Tournament.

Could Eka's consider hosting its own Git system at some point, for vore relevant games? More precisely I'm referring to the Gitlab platform, who's code is available for anyone to download and create their own servers with. In its case instructions can be found on this page for installation. As far as Git goes, it is the best system for a platform that I'm aware of, which is why I'm mentioning it for this suggestion.

The main reason is a means of supporting FOSS vore games; If Eka's had its own Git server, more developers on the site could be inspired to make them! At the same time, Github isn't always the best place for everything, since a lot of the games on here would end up removed due to their content if ever posted there. I'm not aware of any Git servers that vore games with NSFW elements would have safe allowance on, whereas here they would be practically at home! As Git is flexible and modular, the system could even be integrated with parts of the website, to allow for special features like listing projects and their details on users profiles!

Obviously this would only be intended for smaller projects: I'm aware that Eka's doesn't have the drive space and bandwidth for something of industrial proportions. Git can of course be configured to give users and / or repositories storage limits, whereas the admins could only allow trusted game developers to use it for further safety. I imagine it's an idea that might take some deliberating for the staff, to decide whether the gain outweighs any effort that running it might imply. Whatever the case, just wanted to put the thought out there, and I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are (especially Eka and Leshana). Thanks for listening to this geek vixen's geeky suggestions :)
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Re: Git server for game developers

Postby Eka » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Sure I will look into it when we have time.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff