Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and modern!

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.

Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and modern!

Postby foxygrandpa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Hello, there! Do you like visually pleasant web design? Well love, you're in luck! I've improved the userstyle I made for Eka's Portal. Now, it's even more cool looking! It unifies most of this sites various sections (phpBB, g4, and the /content/ sections) so they look about the same with a modern flat and more readable look. Check it! Attached are some screenshots of how it looks.I've uploaded the CSS file (you'll need the Stylish plug-in; check your browser's plugin store) to here: https://userstyles.org/styles/140311/fo ... -forum-css if you want to try it out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Oh, yeah, and here's a list of some of things that are different:
    * Unified Navigation Menu: It's now all in one compact bar! With a home button, of course.
    * Fixed Gallery Icons: Gallery icons no longer get out of sync in ugly and weird ways. Everything is nicely sorted now.
    * A Unifiedish Look between the Gallery and Forums: The site now looks at least somewhat similar when swapping between the two different systems.
    * Clean, consistent font choices: Fonts are now no longer page-dependent.
    * Color coordination: All users now are forced to have the same theme. Unreadable profiles are gone.
    * Other cool stuff. Just download it, man!

Images:
improvedunifiedforumswip.png

improveduserpages.jpg
Attachments
improvedgallerysorting.png
Neither a fox nor a grandpa. Bewildering.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby poopyjoe17 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:01 am

looks great ʢ◉ᴥ◉ʡ
User avatar
poopyjoe17
New to the forum
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 am

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby sweetladyamy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:14 am

Looks neat.
Amyrakunejo, Princess of Purity

Are Speed-Up Videos Really A Thing???
User avatar
sweetladyamy
Participator
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 4:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby Rendezvore » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 am

We can sort favorites into categories? I am on board with that. :-D

And I like most of the unification, but is there a way to turn off color coordination for certain areas? I happen to like my honey-colored profile/gallery cause that's my personal space to play with and it goes with my icons, characters, and the overall food play theme of my gallery. Others don't have to look at it, but I would still like to. ^^;
User avatar
Rendezvore
Participator
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby Dukinu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 am

this look nice

I like this
User avatar
Dukinu
New to the forum
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby Gendor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:48 am

I despise the look. Too light pink compared to the purple and blue it has now.
Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
User avatar
Gendor
Intermediate Vorarephile
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Sweden (GMT+1 Timezone)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby foxygrandpa » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Rendezvore wrote:We can sort favorites into categories? I am on board with that. :-D

And I like most of the unification, but is there a way to turn off color coordination for certain areas? I happen to like my honey-colored profile/gallery cause that's my personal space to play with and it goes with my icons, characters, and the overall food play theme of my gallery. Others don't have to look at it, but I would still like to. ^^;


Gendor wrote:I despise the look. Too light pink compared to the purple and blue it has now.


I did initially create a 'colourless' version which only changed the general layout without affecting user-set preferences. However, I found it was difficult to get things to mesh together in an attractive way.
However, I realize some may enjoy that version more than the default. I'll get started on remaking it right now.

I will agree with you, Gendor. I designed this on my super-warm-biased monitor and I found it is difficult to make out some things on colder displays. I plan to release a 'night mode' version which uses less saturated colours.
Neither a fox nor a grandpa. Bewildering.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby Rendezvore » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

foxygrandpa wrote:I did initially create a 'colourless' version which only changed the general layout without affecting user-set preferences. However, I found it was difficult to get things to mesh together in an attractive way.
However, I realize some may enjoy that version more than the default. I'll get started on remaking it right now.

I can deal with a couple hard-to-read profiles if it means keeping my gallery colors. I simply highlight any text that is bothersome.
Thanks for understanding and there's absolutely no rush. :)
User avatar
Rendezvore
Participator
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby foxygrandpa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 am

Rendezvore wrote:
foxygrandpa wrote:I did initially create a 'colourless' version which only changed the general layout without affecting user-set preferences. However, I found it was difficult to get things to mesh together in an attractive way.
However, I realize some may enjoy that version more than the default. I'll get started on remaking it right now.

I can deal with a couple hard-to-read profiles if it means keeping my gallery colors. I simply highlight any text that is bothersome.
Thanks for understanding and there's absolutely no rush. :)


Here's the quick and dirty colorless version.

https://userstyles.org/styles/140344/colorfree-theme

Enjoy. Some things (i.e the homepage) are going to look a little weird, but it's good for the most part.
Neither a fox nor a grandpa. Bewildering.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby foxygrandpa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 am

Oh, and by the way: if anyone has any idea where I could find a large fairly-minimal and pleasant to look at vorish (yet not overtly so) image suitable to be used as a hypstery banner, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Aesthetically similar to these things:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920& ... VwDfpV-ao4

I plan to make the theme far more modern than it is now.
Neither a fox nor a grandpa. Bewildering.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby Rendezvore » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:59 pm

foxygrandpa wrote:Enjoy. Some things (i.e the homepage) are going to look a little weird, but it's good for the most part.

Works good and it's easy to switch between them if needed! But both styles have these issues, not just colorless.

--The scrolling marquee at the top is overlapping the messages/comments/favorites notification.
--The jump links at the top of the messages/comments/favorites.. etc. page don't exist. And when you've got 50+ of everything it's an annoyance to scroll through.
--I've noticed some people's icons have been squished to fit the circles. It seems to only affect icons that are different width and height. This is most likely up to the individual user to fix themselves by choosing a thumbnail of a larger image if they are aware of it, but thought you might wanna know.

I'm using Windows 7 and Mozilla Firefox.
User avatar
Rendezvore
Participator
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby foxygrandpa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 am

Rendezvore wrote:
foxygrandpa wrote:Enjoy. Some things (i.e the homepage) are going to look a little weird, but it's good for the most part.

Works good and it's easy to switch between them if needed! But both styles have these issues, not just colorless.

--The scrolling marquee at the top is overlapping the messages/comments/favorites notification.
--The jump links at the top of the messages/comments/favorites.. etc. page don't exist. And when you've got 50+ of everything it's an annoyance to scroll through.
--I've noticed some people's icons have been squished to fit the circles. It seems to only affect icons that are different width and height. This is most likely up to the individual user to fix themselves by choosing a thumbnail of a larger image if they are aware of it, but thought you might wanna know.

I'm using Windows 7 and Mozilla Firefox.


Ah. I think that notification thing may be exclusive to artist accounts.

I did temporarily remove jump links while editing the theme early on. I'll be adding them back in once I finish the more modern version I'm working on that sort of reintroduces the banner.

I don't think it squishes user avatars; those are by default always 100x100. It does do some minor squashing to gallery thumbnails to make them neater (compacted to 100x100)
Neither a fox nor a grandpa. Bewildering.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby Rendezvore » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 am

foxygrandpa wrote:Ah. I think that notification thing may be exclusive to artist accounts.

You don't have this notification bar? As you can see, it's kind of a mess at the end there.

marqueeoverlap.png
marqueeoverlap.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 308 times


foxygrandpa wrote:I don't think it squishes user avatars

On my end, it squishes avatars that are not square, such as sweetladyamy's icon up there.

sweetladyamy_norm.png
sweetladyamy_norm.png (20.27 KiB) Viewed 308 times

sweetladyamy_squish.png
sweetladyamy_squish.png (17.57 KiB) Viewed 308 times
User avatar
Rendezvore
Participator
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby foxygrandpa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Rendezvore wrote:
foxygrandpa wrote:Ah. I think that notification thing may be exclusive to artist accounts.

You don't have this notification bar? As you can see, it's kind of a mess at the end there.

marqueeoverlap.png


foxygrandpa wrote:I don't think it squishes user avatars

On my end, it squishes avatars that are not square, such as sweetladyamy's icon up there.

sweetladyamy_norm.png

sweetladyamy_squish.png


I've updated the main theme to address the issue with the menubar.

Is it fixed now?

I haven't changed the clear theme yet.
Neither a fox nor a grandpa. Bewildering.
User avatar
foxygrandpa
Been posting for a bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Foxy's Portal: Make your Eka's Portal look cool and mode

Postby Rendezvore » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:07 am

foxygrandpa wrote:I've updated the main theme to address the issue with the menubar.

Is it fixed now?

I haven't changed the clear theme yet.

No more overlap!
But now the scrolling text cuts off depending on the size of the notification section. It doesn't bother me, but if you need more screenshots let me know. :)
User avatar
Rendezvore
Participator
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am
Blog: View Blog (8)


Return to Technical stuff

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest