Plausibility of hiding things meant to be found

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Plausibility of hiding things meant to be found

Postby Slayerhero90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Are galleries designed such that folders and works can be put up and be unlisted, while still accessible to those with a link?
Been thinking about spoilery mischief for my stories.
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Plausibility of hiding things meant to be found

Postby KingKabal777 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm

If there can be plans to mark things like that in the future, there would be a implementation that would be coded for it.

But please reclarify your tech question since I can't seem to understand your grammar.
KingKabal777
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Naganommer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:57 pm

A while ago I stumbled upon a trick where files are still accessible to everyone if you set the view permissions folder they're in to self only. That might help making things harder to find.
Also if you submit something but set the view permissions to self only but later (I waited a week) change the permissions to everyone I don't believe it'll show up on your watchers messages. I deleted said file immediately afterwards but usually that leaves a message saying "This content has been deleted."
I played around with an idea like this a while ago.
Naganommer
Been posting for a bit

Postby Slayerhero90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:01 pm

KingKabal777 wrote:If there can be plans to mark things like that in the future, there would be a implementation that would be coded for it.

But please reclarify your tech question since I can't seem to understand your grammar.

'pologies. Basically, what I'm talking about is being able to create stuff that can't normally be accessed, as though it were fully private, but if linked to, say, in an innocuous period seated in the description of a piece of art or writing, anyone who finds the link could see it. I wanna know if the means exists already.

S'pose I also oughtta ask if BBCode can be used in descriptions attached to submitted works.
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby masterofvore1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Slayerhero90 wrote:
KingKabal777 wrote:If there can be plans to mark things like that in the future, there would be a implementation that would be coded for it.

'pologies. Basically, what I'm talking about is being able to create stuff that can't normally be accessed, as though it were fully private, but if linked to, say, in an innocuous period seated in the description of a piece of art or writing, anyone who finds the link could see it. I wanna know if the means exists already.

S'pose I also oughtta ask if BBCode can be used in descriptions attached to submitted works.

kind of like Google Drive link-sharing mode or youtube unlisted mode where you need to obtain a link to the item in order to view it(as apposed to being indexed by the search engine and relevant notification areas)?
masterofvore1
---

Postby KingKabal777 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:42 am

masterofvore1 wrote:
Slayerhero90 wrote:

kind of like Google Drive link-sharing mode or youtube unlisted mode where you need to obtain a link to the item in order to view it(as apposed to being indexed by the search engine and relevant notification areas)?

Like a earlier technical question here on this forum was asked regarding the bots, Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Alexa index this website. If something you post is indexed by one of these bots, then these bots will have a accessible copy for anyone to see your work. The technical matter is this, for clarification of sense (Ask a tech person who knows about security and such, I am not the admin or Leshana, so I can't help with everything).

If you could get the option to restrict access from the bots from indexing your material in their search engine, then the results do not appear if anyone attempts to do a google search or anything similar (Exception is Alexa bot and those similar to it). Some search engines store collected data for set periods of time before the material does not become accessible to the bot (IE: If you delete something, it can still be briefly indexed until the search engine removes it, see my note on Alexa later in the bottom paragraph for a better understanding on indexing) or does not become a valid URL anymore. Search engines on this site collect data for a set period for sets amount of time, so any results do not disappear from uploads you make.

As for Alexa bot, if you've never heard of Alexa bot, it technically was a bot on this website that was used to index material and save it before it would be deleted. If anyone deleted material from this website, anyone can use the bot and enter the URL to find out if the material was saved by the bot before it was deleted. The only way to restrict that bot from finding any deleted material is to either not post the material at all or for the administrator/site owner to request that they do not request their site to index their forums. Alternatively, the administration if they have experience (In which is simply possible), the admin or tech experts can create a robots.txt file to restrict those bots from indexing the website from that bot. As for Google, Yahoo, etc, they might make the description unavailable for the site.

Do a google search for "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt". If you've heard of robots.txt, then you might know what it can do. But like I said, I do not have any control over matters like this, if you're looking into a question like this, either you should upload on a site that does not index via search engine or don't upload at all.

Hopefully I'm not being rude, but I want to clarify some knowledge I can get from past security and tech work I've done.
KingKabal777
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Slayerhero90 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 am

Well, one would still have to know what to look for in order to find a given item through google without some serious digging.
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Eka » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 am

Just set the folder to self only and it will work as Slayerhero90 intended.

Don't really see why we need to bring google into question. They really isn't relevant to the discussion.
Eka
Administrator

Postby KingKabal777 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:35 am

Eka wrote:Just set the folder to self only and it will work as Slayerhero90 intended.

Don't really see why we need to bring google into question. They really isn't relevant to the discussion.

I kind of agree, I don't know why it should be mentioned at all...
KingKabal777
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to Technical stuff