Merging redundant tags?

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Re: Merging redundant tags?

Postby Blither » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 pm

jaggedjagd wrote:You seem to be missing the point of merging. These examples here are NOT all the same thing. Like Angel = Angel girl? Angels can be of any gender, if you make all angels tags the same gender that would defeat the point of being able to differentiate between them. Some may be looking specifically for a female, male, herm or any other gender of angel.

"Angel girl" should be merged with "Angel" because it's a redundant tag that just causes confusion.
Other tags would imply whether the angel is female or not... say for example "angel" + "female pred" or "f/f". Unlike "catgirl" and "catboy" the meaning isn't modified by dropping the sex and making the adjective a noun.

jaggedjagd wrote:Giantess == Giantess Vore == giantess angel == giantess woman
(Again. Giantess can be without vore. And not every giantess is an angel?? What even.)

Maybe there's a misunderstanding here? Tigercloud wants to merge those tags into "Giantess". Ideally, other tags should tell you whether it's a vore/nonvore submission, or if there's an angel character involved... and giantess literally means "female giant" which makes "giantess woman" completely pointless.
Blither
Participator

Postby remorselessyoshi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:16 am

I can agree with you on the Giantess subject for the most part, however there do exist submissions where there is a giantess involved who is not taking part in the vore, however there is still vore in the submission. I agree that generally speaking we assume most submissions include vore, but someone looking for "Giantess Vore" getting a work which has a Giantess who is not taking part in vore would likely be very frustrated to find that they have no way to make that distinction.

Regarding the matter of the angel tag, there is no way to make the distinction between whether the character in question is male or female. Let me propose a scenario to you:
-A work containing a female(angel) nomming a male(not an angel).
You propose that we should tag this as - "angel" + "f/m". (Not trying to straw man you here, just using your example to make a point)
Given those two tags, you could not actually make the distinction as to whether the angel is male or female. These tags would also describe the following situations:
- A female(not an angel) eating a male(angel)
- An angel(any gender) watching a female(not an angel) eating a male(also not an angel)
- An angel(also an elephant) standing in the background having a conversation with a catgirl while a little girl eats a geriatric male rhinoceros anthro
If anything, I think we need the tagging system to better differentiate who/what is taking part in vore. I am a fan of shota stuff, and when I look for vore involving shotas, I have to look for M/m, F/m, M/f, shota/??, etc. Its quite the frustration at times especially given that not every artist actually tags their works with any or all of the appropriate tags(but thats another issue). In other words, rather than angel female being redundant, I think it might actually not be specific enough, depending on what the user is looking for.
Anyway, I don't want to sound argumentative, I like the love in this community. :D
remorselessyoshi
Been posting for a bit

Postby Elpie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:20 am

another thing we may want to consider is the use of capitalization in some tags. i think all-lowercase should be the default (ones that i created specifically for my own submissions use that even though they include proper nouns) but in particular i think it needs to be addressed for the general F/M-style tags. i've seen those using rather inconsistent capitalization which i guess could denote dominance (like F/Ff indicating a female pred and two female prey but one of them is clearly submissive and therefore tagged within the tag with the lowercase F) but that's still redundant if capitalization won't/doesn't mean anything for tags
Check out my fanfic, 'Anyone You Can Do...I Can Do Better!' And bring up some ideas in the discussion thread!
Elpie
Advanced Vorarephile

Previous

Return to Technical stuff